Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

Having a hard time seeing how these guys will not be disappointing like Templar-Brethren, unless they are hella cheap or they have some secret sauce.

Companions seem to come in 3 flavors, Sword + Shield, Sword + Bolt/Plasma Pistol and Big Sword. Going on a limb and saying that only the sarge gets powerfist access. Two models need to be useless in combat to give the squad a 4++ vs ranged/5++ vs melee.

Vs Cenobites with a natural 4++, S8 AP2 and a whole bunch of buff you can tailor to your opponent.

Dumb poo poo AP system ruins everything. They make for amazing consuls though.
Yeah, the Scion of the Deathwing rule is not enough to make up the gap in any Inner Circle/Companions comparisons. There's got to be more there. I don't dare dream of two wound bodyguards though.

The first Thramas article mentioned that DA characters would be able to be given Scion special rules from the various wings. This is the first one we've seen and it might be kind of fun on a beatstick praetor. Getting two re-rolls in a challenge would be pretty good. I'm really interested to see what the Dreadwing one is.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

give me destroyers and kill-bots in every slot

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I think this'll be the favored variant. Hard to go wrong with S10 AP2. The alternate round is solid, perfect for digging non-marines out of cover. Solar Aux are going to loving hate this thing.

The missiles aren't bad either, but the grav is awful. Should've been closer to the leviathan's version.

BULBASAUR posted:

140pts gets you that compared to a 155pt medusa. It has 1 more HP and better side armour, but worse range and you gotta pay for secondary weapons.
But it comes with two heavy bolters :confused:

The extra ten points is for upgrading them to autocannons.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It really needs more shots or better AP. Or both. :smith: Looks cool as hell though.

Volkite's kind of weird because FW loves to keep it at AP5 unless it's on a super-heavy of some kind. I get why they want to avoid AP3, but the falconet would've been a good place for it as a one-off weapon on a dedicated heavy support chassis. At least it would have had a solid niche. AP4 and more shots could've worked too for all the non-marine armies.

I completely forgot it had a snapshot gimmick until I looked it up again just now.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

It looks super cool though.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They showed off the bare head and Lion Sword in the reveal video and he honestly has one of the best face sculpts in the entire range. I am absolutely going with that over the helmet. I'm really looking forward to getting my grubby hands on that model.
:swoon:

The only rules-related stuff mentioned on the stream is that the Lion Sword will be better against characters and "lesser combatants" while the Wolf Blade is more for hunting monsters. It was mentioned that the Lion will be S7 base with the Wolf Blade bumping him up to S10. No details beyond that though.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Saul Tarvitz out of loving nowhere.

Some speculation that he might be a plastic sculpt. Honestly? He looks like it. Wonder what that means... :dogcited:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

What details say plastic to you?
It's a mix of a few things. The face, the sword hilt, the shoulder pads, the backpack, the base, etc.

Maybe it's still resin, but it looks slightly chunkier. More like a plastic sculpt. Could very easily be wrong though.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

I feel like if it was plastic they would have made a big deal about it, and I also can't see them deciding that Saul Tarvitz is the guy to be a plastic character.
Nah, this is 30k and it's the exact sort of weird decision they would make. Who better to potentially headline a new set of plastic models than a named character from book 1 with mediocre rules meant entirely for narrative games on Istvaan III. He's got Preferred Enemy (Emperor's Children), a sniper rifle, and a custom sword for gently caress's sake. He's perfect. Who knows, there's a super long shot we'll see a new starter set on Istvaan III with plastic Saul Tarvitz and some other dude. Prospero had Ahriman and Geigor Fell-Hand (aka Not-Bjorn), after all, but they never got a separate release. I'd rather have generic character options in starters, but that's just me.

It's not like he's a nobody. Tarvitz is apparently a beloved character from the BL books so he might sell better than we'd expect. I'm not really familiar with him as it's been a long time since I read the first three, but I looked up his wiki page and it's loving massive so there's clearly someone out there that cares. His name is Andy Hoare.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 18, 2020

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm a Plastic Heresy Truther now.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Killer_Bees! posted:

In light of the faint hope of new boxes sets I have started up a Dark Angels side project. Trying to get a not-black black has been fun. Now to see if it can translate into tank bodies.

This is great. I really like the metallic chipping, but that's a good black.

If you are looking for a decent not-black base, GW brought back FW's Corvus Black as a main line paint. I use it for things like black leather or cables, but with the right shading it'd be great for armor too.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Killer_Bees! posted:

the checkers and trim for all the troops :aaaaa:
:sickos:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hello friends, please click the link below and consider participating in my little charity event. We're all bored in lockdown right now so I thought we might be able to channel that into something a little more productive. I will be donating money to a food bank for every model completed in the next couple of months. All you have to do to participate is post pictures of your models though other options will be available for those who'd like to do more. It is somewhat focused on 28mm stuff, but there are other categories available and if your models aren't represented, just let me know and we can work something out.

Full details in the thread, click the banner below to find out more:

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

This is your own fault for not also having me on ignore.
:hmmyes: