Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
So pre-orders are up. Wayland Games is doing 10% off but doesn't have free shipping so you save a princely £3.15, which for the random time the thing will turn up means you may as well buy it in store. Wayland are also incorrectly labelling it as limited edition.

Can anyone point me towards the best deal for Betrayal at Calth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

The Sisko posted:

Alright 30k hams , I'm at a bit of crossroads. I just preordered the Betrayal at Calth set and with that I have pretty decent core of an army I can play around with. So with that I've been thinking of allied detachment that I could get somewhere down the line for my Word Bearers. I have narrowed it down to 3 possibilities:

1) One of the cult lists from book 5. I have plenty of cultists lying around and I could use them as big blobs sitting on objectives. Plus it's still keeps with the Word Bearers theme.

2) Mechanicum. I've always had a soft spot for robots plus I imagine there shooting would complement the Word Bearers CCQ.

3) Demons. This is the army I have no experience playing with/against so I don't know what its strengths and weaknesses are at all. Obviously they'll play well with the word bearers theme as well.

Feel free to weigh in and give your experience on each. This is something I'm doing way down the line so I have plenty of time to make a decision.

All of these are good choices for different reasons.

Warp cults give you lots of expendable troops. Take a HQ, a couple of 30 strong units of cultists, and think about whether you want a squadron of Leman Russ or a horde of spawn type monsters. I'd go full monsters, but that's just me.

Mechanicum are pricy, but give you some things you might really want. Thallax are fast and have high strength shooting, whereas Castellax are really hard to shift from an objective. Low model count though, meaning it will be your marines contributing numbers. From a personal point of view I'd go robot heavy, because I like them.

Demons I've not played, but it looks like another way of getting cheap infantry and more space wizards.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

not lame! posted:

What is the difference between a Night Lord Terror Squad and a standard tactical squad?

Unit size 5-10.
Have bolt pistol + CCW as standard, can be given extras (bolters, volkite chargers, heavy chainblades, 1 flamer or rotor cannon in the squad).
Base 2 attacks.
Leadership 9.
Cause fear.
Infiltrate.
Preferred enemy infantry.

10 will set you back 200 points with no extras,

They are brutal in close combat though.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Sir Teabag posted:

So what are the hallmark differences between this and 40K? I've played since 3rd ed, with 5th ed being my favourite but I never looked at FW as anything other than "cool and overpowered" models.

40k is a giant mess, 30k hasn't been ruined yet.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Rulebook Heavily posted:

So I hear the Calth sprues come with weapon options that aren't rules-legal in Horus Heresy. Any chance of there being enough of them to make a mini-heavy weapon squad or something?

They are on Veteran Tactical squads, which can take two special/heavy weapons in a ten man squad.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Ah, that makes sense. Any weapon combos worth having, then?

You can select tank hunters and 2 missile launchers/2 melta guns.

You'll run across armoured ceramite sometimes, especially on things like Land Raiders and bigger, but it'll give dreads and rhinos a poo poo time, and it's still strength 9.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

xutech posted:

What are those muskets the veteran marines are holding?

Rifles from the Admech Skitarii rangers. Plentiful on bits sites/ebay/anyone you know who collects admech.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Hauki posted:

Man, this thread and the new box set have really tempted me to start an army. I always found heresy era to be the most compelling fluff-wise. Nevermind that literally everyone I know has quit playing/collecting GW games entirely. Anyone know how the Calth box set scenarios/rules hold up so far? Is there anything worthwhile in the box besides cheap(er) plastic dudes? Could I potentially use it as an intro to lure people into starting 30k armies with me? :homebrew:

As a hypothetical aside, I've been looking for tough/shooty traitor legions, anything I should look into besides Death Guard and Iron Warriors? Neither excite me much aesthetically, although I sorta like the fluff of death guard at least.

edit: oh god what am I doing, I haven't played 40k since like, '98 :cripes:

I watched the video GW put out, and it's like they're actually doing marketing. They show people (real live people) having fun playing a game. And you get a fairly clear understanding of the rules. And it looks like a fun board game.

For shooty have you thought about Alpha Legion as an outsider choice?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Recoome posted:

What's wrong with the Iron Warriors

Some people just don't like having cool armies.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

ijyt posted:

Would I ever need much more in terms of Astartes than what comes in the Calth box for games of ~2,000?

Depends how you configure your force. Infantry horde get two boxes and have two, or even three, units of 20 marines, for close to 1000 points.

Or go Pride of the Legion, 3 vet tac squads in rhinos, a squad of termis fitted for close assault in a land raider and some tanks/aircraft to season.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

ijyt posted:

gently caress me about to go pick up my box and I still can't decide between World Eaters, Emperor's Children, Alpha Legion and Word Bearers.

Every time I read a post someone sways me in another direction.

E: maybe I'll just save them until the Thousand Sons upgrades are out.

Look at the colour schemes. What would you like to paint most?

Do you want brutal close combat?
Refined close combat?
Close in firepower?
Monsters?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Taear posted:

It seems silly that the Dreads have a different design since CSM Dreads were the same design as the standard Loyalist ones and they're supposed to still all be using the same tech since it never advances.

The blocky dreads are mark IV and Vs, and were in use in the heresy, I've got three I'll be painting up.

So there are Contemptors, Deredeos and Leviathans as well, but space to add more in the future, just like there are now four distinct robot types.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

I've never played 40k or 30k before, but I like the Horus Heresy books, so this game interests me. If I wanted to play an army that was just drop pods full of World Eaters armed only with chain axes, could I?

Yup.

Take the Orbital Assault Rite of war, take 10 man tactical squads, and you can give tactical marines additional close combat weapons for +2 points, and World Eaters can swap those for chainaxes for free. You then also get deep strike with your Butchers and other Terminators.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Forgeworld do a transfer sheet for most legions.

Would probably cover a whole box.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

It isn't GW proper producing it. It is FW getting time on the CAD and plastics. FW came out with those sprues. The most logical thing for them to do is convert some of the biggest sellers to plastics to free up FW time and retire the most popular (and quick to wear out) moulds.

In those terms I can see the Sicaran being one of the first things to convert over. And perhaps a Rapier kit with all options. And legion specific upgrade sprues.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

tallkidwithglasses posted:

How are you getting this? A contemptor plus two assault cannons is 205 points, right? Is there errata somewhere or is a Mortis costed differently?

Mortis dreadnoughts are cheaper. They always have the same weapons, and are bought as singles. They are in Bk 2 and the red book.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

overthefalls posted:

Damnit, I had full intentions of doing Iron Warriors and was preparing to get a list together, and I somehow ordered Sevatar and 30 Night Lord shoulder pads instead! And a bunch of chain glaives from Anvil Industries.

...but they are so pretty.

Don't do this, I'm trying not to do this as well.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Terminators also score. Helps to balance how expensive they are.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Any news on the shattered legions list?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I've almost finished assembling my first 20 word bearers. A handful of chaos shoulder pads and the warp talon heads from a box of raptors and they look like they're just turning to Chaos. Lots of studded shoulder pads and pads with metal guards round the edges and they're looking like the beginning of MkV armour as well.

The Mk IV sprue is a very nice kit. Now I need to pick the right way to paint them.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

What is the dreadnoughts as troops ROW? Is it only the bog standard dread, or is it Contemptors as well? Can you take an all Dread army?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Good to see some pictures of genuine forgeworld products.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I like the idea of a dreadnought heavy metal army, but I also want an army where victory is possible.

But having your troops choices be 3 Contemptors and 3 box noughts is very tempting.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Hixson posted:

Also the Iron Circle loving owns. Its a great day to be a Iron Hands Iron Warriors player

How quickly getting your own special robits that no one else gets changes your tune.

They do look great though.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

When are the new books available for sale?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Mango Polo posted:

Epic-inspired 30k is in the pipeline, focused on titans. Different scale than Epic.

If they could make this a balanced game with Titans and Knights in plastic and suitable for tournament play, it could do very well.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Blackshields do look awfully cool.

Any idea if they will produce the weapon options or Pariah power armour?

Though I imagine you could then kit bash an entire army, though you would be weighing in at about 250-300 points per ten blackshields.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Any details on new smaller scale game modes in Book 6?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Mango Polo posted:

Thanks, I always liked warm whites and it turned out just great as a contrast to the metallic red.

Also I'm really growing fond of the FW community people since they started antagonizing the fans.

Help Bulbasaur out and ask about the Iron Warriors Havocs and Tyrants.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Is Victory is Vengeance available as a separate pack somewhere? A file or included in some somewhat more portable than a gigantic book?

What 40k needs is a proper kill team supplement for small games played in less than an hour, and I think ViV is probably one of the closest things to it.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

ijyt posted:

But their models are so cool :negative:

Use them as Seekers.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

Siege Breaker in Terminator armour: 3× phosphex bomb; combi-weapon; chainfist 182

19 Tactical Space Marines: legion vexilla; + 1 Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; power fist; melta bombs) 265
19 Tactical Space Marines: legion vexilla; + 1 Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; power fist; melta bombs) 265

Apothecarion Detachment
Apothecary 45
3 Quad Launcher Rapier Carriers: shatter shells; phosphex canister shot 270

5 Tyrant Siege Terminators: + 1 Tyrant Siege Master 345
9 Iron Havocs: 5× missile launcher; 4× lascannon; + 1 Iron Havoc Sergeant (artificer armour; lascannon; augury scanner; melta bombs) 430
Whirlwind Scorpius 115
Artillery Tank Squadron
Medusa 155
Medusa 155

The Primarch Perturabo: Forgebreaker; Rite of War (The Hammer of Olympia) 490

2.982 points

Would this be considered a dicklist?

Only 3 quad luanchers, so not that bad. There are people rolling with 9.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Quick question, where is the best place to get some skulls and jewellers chain?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I'm going to :toxx: for 40k Death Guard, a playable army by the end of the year.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Could someone post Bulbasaurs ViV rules?

And what would people reccomend for someone thinking of BA for it with 10 each of Mk iii and iv on sprue but who would also quite like some cataphractii?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Will the special rules text for Iron Warriors just point to the special rules text for Iron hands?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Basically everyone buys mk iii and mk iv pads because those are the plastic sets. So mk ii pads are getting squatted.

The cataphractii pads I am disappointed are getting squatted.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I liked the 22 second intro then ten minutes of chatting before they went through the armies.

The set up of the technical aspects was good, and I may need to copy some of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I was thinking of doing a centurion level force for Zone Mortalis (1250 points) of loyalist Dark Angels. I've got 10 Mk III and 10 Mk IV, the command sprue from Calth and a plastic Contemptor.

I've actually got some lore questions. I'll be painting these up in the heresy era colours, and using them in 30k and 40k as a splinter fleet of the Dark Angels Legion that missed the events on Caliban, turn up a few years later when everyone is wearing Calibanite green, Caliban is destroyed and no one will tell them where the primarch has gone and they should stop asking questions and gently caress off.

Were the Dark Angels called anything else before finding the Lion?

And model question, are there enough bits in the Deathwing box to build a set of terminators without feathers everywhere? Because those are some nice Indomitus Class Terminators.

Also will the Dark Angel upgrade sprue shoulder pads fit nicely on Mk IV models?

Also advice on army composition. I've posted what I have so far and what points value I'm shooting for. What would people advise I get?

Yes I may troll DA fanboys a bit with this force.