Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Tbh if you just run a list which is thematic and fluffy you'll do OK.

The trap to fall into is buying too many squads and not supporting them as the initial cost is expensive per squad points wise. You could end up with more dudes but without the equipment (eg Melta bombs) to let them perform multiple roles properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

The trick is that (things like assault Marines aside) a lot of things aren't over costed per se, they're just inflexible in terms of what you can do with them. So a lot of the list building strategy is kinda similar to eldar aspect warriors - turbosick units at specific jobs but if you leave holes in your coverage (E. G. Anti air) you'll be exploited.

A lot of the 'good' units are ones which are competent at multiple roles which makes them unique. Sure you can try for veteran tacticals to have a more '40k' feel but they're hella expensive for that kind of 'jack of all trades' style.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Sir Teabag posted:

How closely do the rules play to the fluff?

Tbh pretty well. Each Legion has their unique rules and when you combine it with Rites of War then generally you can get very fluffy armies with minimal effort.

My Salamanders are a small, elite army focused on quality units led by Vulkan and an ancient Dreadnought as my HQ unit. I've got units completely armed with flamers for example.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Wait two things

1) those bundle display Marines have mk3 helmets on mkIV bodies what the gently caress IS THIS MY IMMERSION

2) what patten are those bolters...?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Book 4 has campaign rules. 40k lib ru.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

krushgroove posted:

Awesome - I actually have the books up to #4, but that site is crazy good for books. Actually I might convert some of the PDFs to epub for my e-reader so I can read the text while I'm traveling.

Any tips for tracking who's played who to know what point levels we should be at? We can't play every week usually, so I'm thinking just keep it simple and play 500 points one month, then bump it up each month, which should give most of us the opportunity to play 2 or 3 times at each point level.

Depending on how many people you have usually its best to have some poor sod be the coordinator (can also be player). Google drive or dropbox are usually your friend as you can have a master list (maybe even just an excel doc) of games played at which points etc, and then just have deadlines to update it as you go along.

I did an escalation league at Dark Sphere which did 2 weekly points bump ups - 400/750/1000/1500 and it worked brilliantly. For Heresy I would say 500/1000/1500/2000+ is probably a safe bet depending on your local meta.

I just pulled the trigger on some Spellcrow Salamanders torsos and the box set - £75 for both from Dark sphere. not bad.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

As this is the 30K thread, have some motherfucking 30K:

https://goodbadgreenskin.tumblr.com

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Haha they're kitbashed from vanguard and Raptors if I recall, I always laugh at some of the poses too. There's one guy who just looks like he's sighing at all the heresy going on around him.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

The Sisko posted:

Alright 30k hams , I'm at a bit of crossroads. I just preordered the Betrayal at Calth set and with that I have pretty decent core of an army I can play around with. So with that I've been thinking of allied detachment that I could get somewhere down the line for my Word Bearers. I have narrowed it down to 3 possibilities:

1) One of the cult lists from book 5. I have plenty of cultists lying around and I could use them as big blobs sitting on objectives. Plus it's still keeps with the Word Bearers theme.

2) Mechanicum. I've always had a soft spot for robots plus I imagine there shooting would complement the Word Bearers CCQ.

3) Demons. This is the army I have no experience playing with/against so I don't know what its strengths and weaknesses are at all. Obviously they'll play well with the word bearers theme as well.

Feel free to weigh in and give your experience on each. This is something I'm doing way down the line so I have plenty of time to make a decision.

I would say in terms of fluff, the cult lists can be the best in terms of hobby. You can make abhumans, screaming trash cultists, elite honour guard, etc.

Mechanicum are 'easy' to get an element of - just take a Pravian and Castellax.

Demons are good but tbh they deep strike and all that so I'm not a huge fan, but like you said they're very fluffy.

If I was doing it I'd personally go for a rabble of crazed warp cultists. Either use GW cultists or look for decent alternatives.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Terror squads also have precision shot. Quite good in a realm of apothecaries and 2+ save sergeants.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

TKIY posted:

Handy info, thanks for posting that!

Edit, I'm looking at options to assemble from this box set and this looks like a decent footslogging list? Only need to buy the Iron Father, Gorgons and Apothecaries to round it out. I'll be short some Missile Launchers and a Kheres as well:

+++ Iron Hands (1665pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1665pts) ++

+ HQ (455pts) +

Iron-father Autek Mor (225pts)

Legion Centurion (135pts) [Artificer Armour, Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon, Refractor Field]
Consul [Chaplain]

Legion Centurion (95pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Chainfist]

+ Troops (420pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (185pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Combi-Weapon, Melta Bombs]

Legion Tactical Squad (235pts) [14x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Combi-Weapon, Melta Bombs]

+ Elites (565pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (150pts)
Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Combi-weapon, Power Sword]
Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Combi-weapon, Power Sword]

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (190pts) [Blessed Autosimulacra, Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]

Gorgon Terminator Squad (225pts) [4x Gorgon Terminator, Reaper Autocannon]
Gorgon Hammerbearer [Grenade Harness]

+ Heavy Support (225pts) +

Legion Heavy Support Squad (225pts) [Flak Missiles, 4x Legion Space Marines, Missile Launchers]
Legion Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs]

Swap the support squad for a Deredeo. Flakk is trash and you'd save some points.

E:also Deredeo looks sick and you'd have synergy with your Legion rules

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Pretty savage, I like it. For 2000 pts it seems to have everything you'd need.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

TKIY posted:

If I am foot slogging why would I drop the bolters for combat blades? I'm thinking of them as a fire base or do I have that wrong?

Yeah I am just trying to stay within the box set a bit. 30k on the cheap if possible! Reworking the list though, Deredo is an amazing looking model and I might have to shell out for one.

edit: gently caress this poo poo is expensive. Any sort of transport and/or Legion specific troops are just insanely expensive, even by GW standards!

:china:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Mixing and matching is abhorrent and destroys my immersion.

For people writing lists - Bulbasaurs advice about the troops is pretty solid. Either go for 20 men with Apothecary, ten men in a rhino, or go for alternative troops choices.

40k lib ru for people looking to get into the rules. Google it.

Quick rundown on a key part of list building - RITES OF WAR.

At first glance these are kind of like formations... Except balanced for the most part. You have bonuses and drawbacks.

An example is the Salamanders one - Covenant of Fire. You get master crafted Melta weapons, vehicles get a 5+ save against Melta, and you can get Pyroclasts as non compulsory troops. Drawback? No deep striking, you have to take the same number of troops choices as you do heavy support and elites, etc.

These change the way armies are built. A popular one is Pride of the Legion where you can take terminators as troops, but if they die you give up VP.

My other bit of advice is don't get hung up on WAAC or min maxing. It is surprisingly difficult to make a dogshit list. Go with what is cool and fits the fluff. In my 2000 pt salamanders list I have around 800 pts sunk into a Spartan deathstar... In 40k that's madness, in 30k it's viable.

Also :china:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I'd be happy to say what my approach was at the beginning:

I listened to Eye of Horus - I know people have said they swear a lot, but they have a good "Demystifying X" episodes, which are worth a listen. (PS: I'm the dude whose emails they read out in a frat boy voice).

This can help get your head around the options.

Next I got Battlescribe which also helps.

---

Basically first pick a legion (I'm assuming you're playing Astartes here)

Loyalist or Traitor?

Then, what kind of playstyle?

(1d4chan has a decent rundown here too).

Then you need to think - what kind of army? Broadly:

Mechanised? Footslogging? Artillery? Terminators? Jetbikes? etc.

Then look at the basic Rites of War, and your Legion's Rite of War. Does this fit with your playstyle? Usually you'll find one which does! E.g. orbital assault gels with Sons of Horus, while Salamanders get a better kick out of their personal rite of war.

From there, start with the core block. This is either troops, or whatever your rite of war specifies (e.g. 3 Terror Squads for Night Lords).

Go from there...

Remember there is usually no "wrong" choice, but each unit has to have a role.

And remember if you're building a 2000 pt list there is the possibility of playing vs primarchs and cheaper Lords of War - there is the 25% rule which means this only opens up in 2500.

My lists

I started with Salamanders, as Salamanders are king poo poo and set stuff on fire.

2000 pts:

quote:

Using the Covenant of Fire

Praetor - Artificer Armour, Dragonscale SS, Iron Halo, Mantle of the Elder Drake, Mastercrafted Paragon Blade, Melta Bombs - 190pts (goes w/ Firedrakes)

Tactical Squad - 10 men, Rhino w/ Dozer Blade, Sargent has Artificer Armour + Melta Bombs - 205pts

Tactical Squad - 10 men, Rhino w/ Dozer Blade, Sargent has Artificer Armour + Melta Bombs - 205pts

Pyroclast Squad - Land Raider Proteus, 8 men, Sargent has a power weapon, Apothecary attached - 520pts

Firedrakes w/ Storm Shields and Thunder Hammer in a Flare Shield/Armoured Ceremite Spartan - 695pts

Deredeo w/ Torso heavy flamers - 185pts

Strategy? Move forward the two heavy vehicles and beat the gently caress out of things. Tacticals and Deredeo hold my table edge.

2500 pts:

quote:

Cassian Dracos in a Dreadclaw - 375pts

Firedrakes w/ Storm Shields and Thunder Hammer in a Flare Shield/Armoured Ceremite Spartan - 695pts

Pyroclast Squad - Land Raider Proteus, 5 men - 385pts

Deredeo w/ Torso heavy flamers and Aiolos - 220pts

Vulkan - 425pts (rides with the Firedrakes)

Now a LoW (Vulkan) is in play. Means my Spartan is obscene numbers of points, but also means I'm not using a Rite of War, so I swapped my Praetor for an awesome special character. Otherwise the strategy is broadly the same.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Have you realised a Proteus has no assault ramp so you can't charge out of it? It's why it's cheaper. I use mine for my pyroclasts who take charges rather than deliver them.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Demons posted:

Looking at running a small Night Lord Terror Assault force to start with. Haven't looked too much at points costs yet. Intention is Sevatar, a good sized unit of deep-striking Terminators, three Terror Squads with Volkite Chargers, big unit of Raptors, and probably a Dreadclaw or two. Usual criticism of this type of list is lack of anti-tank. What would be a good choice? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Also, modelling wise, what's the best way to denote an Apothecary?

Melta bombs, rapier laser destroyers, castellax.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah the militia list is a bit overwhelming at first but you quickly realise you can make any possible permutation of army. Tank heavy? Warp horde? Beast men? Elite dudes? Artillery? Heavy support squad with ap3 autocannon?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Looks pretty savage... But make sure all vehicles have dozer blades (drop HK missile) and are those second squad of special terminators walking?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Tbh if you're rolling a heavy squad a flare shield Spartan is just a must. Drop the GW terminators, take a Spartan tooled up, and then put any spare points into maybe a Sicaran?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Just :alarm: don't do space wolves or thousand sons :alarm: we know these are going to be radically different from the other 16 legions. You could end up with wasted purchases or styles very different from how FW ends up doing it.

Read some fluff and some batreps and read about the primarch. That's how I chose mine.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I'm running Cassian Dracos in a Dreadclaw. It's bonus flame attacks have +1 str because of Salamanders. Dracos is a baller dreadnought SC immune to basically all but Haywire. Gonna have a leviathan dreadnought with an ankylosaur shield. :getin:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

X post from Mini Painting Thread... Salamanders 1 down 30 to go!

Lord Twisted posted:

Had my first proper go with an airbrush! Took probably 4-5 attempts and strips to get right, but now I'm happy with the final effect.

The gradient doesn't always come out on phones, but I've put a bunch of pics so you can see.

MKIV Icon shoulders are in the post, so he'll be finished another day! But I'm pretty drat happy so far, the airbrush is not something which solves every problem, but if you play to its strengths its a loving cheatmachine.

(Black - German Camo - Bottom half Black Green - Middle bit Medium Olive - Spray top down light green)

Edit: JFC close up photos always make me look like a ridiculously amateur painter - I'll do touch ups later.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Do a slight dot of lighter red on the bit of lens nearest the nose and a tiny dot of white on the bit nearest the ears. Easy highlight makes it look a billion times better.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Those NL look sweet!

I'm currently beginning to chug my way through the BoC infantry... Currently brainstorming how to convert the Dreadnought up.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Ugh gently caress off Hixson. Now you're making me want to get scaly tabards for every single one of my Salamanders 30k marines.

I... I probably will.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

My immersion is a delicate thing, don't ruin it.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Lightning claw cataphractii are indeed the poo poo. Just look imposing. The 40k terminator helmets look poo poo

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I'm hard for those death guard

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Can't link it due to crappy Internet being odd but corax pic is out. I'll say straight up I think their hair looks p dumb as its like fulgrims updo

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Speaking as a salamanders player you need a proteus or transport for those pyroclasts or they won't do dick, even if they infil. Maybe look at tyrant seige terminators instead.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Sivores posted:

Would deepstriking them work? Cause I can do that and just infiltrate the lerneans. I just want them to get close enough to charge the inevitable typhon and melta bomb it to death.

I am going to be using Tyrant seige terminators but my first game is tomorrow and I dont have enough missile packs to make those so pyroclasts are my next best option, as I see it. I can also take lerneans with them, which is cool since I made models for them. (and they seem like they would be the first thing to go in the list)

If you DS them then they're a tasty bunched target unless you run them, which Salamanders aren't very good at and means you aren't going to get a shot off on the turn you arrive.

Don't get me wrong they're loving awesome but if you want a full Melta bomb squad then why not take veterans and DS them as its cheaper

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I've got a lot to work through at the moment (BaC) but I'm definitely getting a goddamn Mastodon.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Those look nice except for the dark green on the Apothecary which just looks sloppy as gently caress... just stands out as very weird in otherwise good quality painting

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I'm hard for that campaign. Starting one of my own soon!

Do you have any tips, bulbasaur? I'm looking at the amount of points you can spend to attack places and it just doesn't look like that many especially when you consider when those are exhausted that's when the campaign ends

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Never heard of foam chipping. Sounds sexy. Got a guide?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Almost finished my first Salamanders squad, converted from Betrayal At Calth.

A part of The Cohort of Solomon Krayt, from the Ignae detachment of the Salamanders Legion:

Pretty happy with how these have turned out - some of my first forays into airbrushing. I'll be working on the next 9 which will hopefully be done a drat sight quicker...

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Tbh the only "bad" legions are the older (Book 1) legions which are not bad, the later legions are just a bit stronger. You can still make an absolutely bitching DG list for example. Emperor's Children are a bit of a red-headed stepchild at the moment, but all signs are pointing to a significant rebalance with the new Rites of War in the next book (Relentless Kakophonii as troops? Yes please).

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Tabards AND scale Cloaks for my Salamanders tacticals I posted earlier, or just tabards...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Killer_Bees! posted:

Eye of Horus podcast is everything we Aussie love about a podcast, drinking, bad language, and fantastic topical divergence, but seriously it's pretty ace.

I second the Eye of Horus. I write in semi-regularly to them and they seem to have adopted some sort of frat bro voice for all my emails.