Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

pre-Heresy Dark Angels were black?

Yeah, they only adopted the green heraldry after Luther went bugfuck and the surviving leadership decided they would never tell anybody ever what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
The way Coils and wargear works is that the stolen unit can take anything explicitly listed in the unit entry, which excludes anything granted solely by a Legiones Astartes rule. So, a Raven Guard Dark Fury squad could not be equipped entirely with Raven's Claws (the unit entry only mentions the unit leader, even though according to the LA rule the entire unit could upgrade some stuff if they wanted to). However, your Firedrakes can all take shields, as their entry lists the shields as an option. There's been a lot of type shed on this issue throughout the AL social media-sphere.

Don't even ask about Headhunters and their combi-weapons.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Someone somewhere mentioned that the higher price was likely the original price that was lowered by the time the set went up for order. The mag these prices are in was printed after the change, or somebody just hosed up. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

(Also, 30 bux for an assassin? Yeah fuckin right.)

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
I finished some poo poo.

One full Tac squad, finally done.

Seekers.

Next up, fill out the first Veteran squad and hold on to my butt for Calth.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Not at all, the Dacians used similar weapons, called a falx and they're sick as hell.

Also, glad everybody likes my Ultramarines! How about that there Gulliman, huh brothers?

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

TKIY posted:

Looks like the Deathshroud can only take a Phobos, but there is no model?

Phobos is the fancy-schmancy way to refer to the standard Land Raider during the Heresy, since there's a gazillion variants running around in the standard lists.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Hauki posted:

As a hypothetical aside, I've been looking for tough/shooty traitor legions, anything I should look into besides Death Guard and Iron Warriors? Neither excite me much aesthetically, although I sorta like the fluff of death guard at least.

Word Bearers are tough, for a certain value of "tough." They roll 3d6 for Leadership checks instead of 2d6, so good luck getting them to break and run. Gal Vorbak are also T5 W2 with a 3+/5++ save, while the Bladeslaves are T5 and W3 with It Will Not Die. Of course, those last two are choppy rather than shooty, so they may not be quite what you're looking for.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
So I've been painting some 40k World Eaters in the Heresy livery and I think I'm in love, especially with Sarum-pattern helms. Sponges are Khorne's gift. How many jetbikes/motorbikes are too many for an army?

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

SteelMentor posted:

Crossposting from the Painting Thread.

Hell yeah.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Everyone is Alpharius :black101:

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Recoome posted:

If only I could paint white without having an anxiety attack

World Eaters are super easy to paint, since you get to batter them all up. I'm halfway through this painting tutorial on some 40k stuff and already I want to paint more, it's actually kind of fun.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
The thing with Gal Vorbak is they absolutely tower over any other Legion model, especially if you give their basing a bit of extra polish. Even if you hold that Death Guard down there up so their feet are level, the Word Bearer still has a solid head on him. Many of the joins between parts are fairly smooth, and there are areas that would take a saw pretty well, so there's plenty room to add some variation with a bit of elbow grease.

Also, holy poo poo I need to repaint that scythe.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
So for Secret Santa at work, I pulled my Heresy buddy. Somebody's getting a badass for Christmas.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Turns out painting Imperial Fists is fun when you only have to paint one.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Karandras posted:

Wait, the headhunter kill team have BS5 and preferred enemy Infantry, so they hit on a 2+ and reroll 1's, so why do they have combi-bolters?

:iiam:

Supposedly when asked about how dumb it was, Alan Bligh responded something like 'the player's don't get the depth of the rules.' Which sounds to me more like 'I don't know how this game works.'

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

DJ Dizzy posted:

Where do people get their ZM boards?

I'm going to make mine out of Lego :science:

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Hey goons, which looks better, arm down or arm up?

I think that arm up looks more menacing and is what I had originally planned, but I like the way the shoulder pads sit with the arm down.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Knocked out some Mor Deythan for my Rewards of Treason. I'm running out of assembly projects, which is a weird and unusual feeling.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

How many headhunter kits did you need to get that many beakies?

The Legion has many hidden supply depots and equipment caches throughout Imperial space :china:

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
gently caress yeah, magnets.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

I would suggest getting some different colors in the shadows, like work some reds or purples/greens in there. Ever since reading Daemon World I've loved the idea of scabby grey daemons, so I'm already on board with that scheme. I'm having a hard time finding it, but this guy online had a great tutorial for painting really grody, nasty bruised skintones that he used on arco-flagellants and stuff. It was super fun and I have a feeling changing the fleshy tones to grey ones would result in some rad-looking models. Maybe on the Convertorum? Somewhere in that section of the blogosphere. If I can come across it again I'll edit the link into this post. I used the technique for the skin on my arco-flagellant, even though you can't see its arms very well in that shot.

ed: Found it. The technique looks super complicated and intimidating, but it's very painter-y and super fun to just zen out and play with mixing paints. If you have a wet palette set up I'd definitely suggest taking this down to a couple manageable steps and letting loose.

BirdieBedtime fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 16, 2016

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Turns out Tamiya Metallic Blue spray is a thing!

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Magnetizing the at the model's bicep is easy if you have some larger or smaller magnets than usual. The way the kit is formed, there are no good mounting points for a hole in the arm joint. However, there is a larger gap in the joint that would fit a larger magnet if the extra crap is shaved out of there. I'm at work, otherwise I would post a picture of mine.

As you only get two shoulder parts per dreadnought, magnetizing at the bicep is a good idea for people with multiple dreadnought weapons lying around ( :china: ). But for just sticking with the BaC options, shoulder magnets are easier.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

DJ Dizzy posted:

Arms for the Mk3 marines if I want to use them as assault marines, am I relegated to :china: for that?

You could also look up the older CSM assault arms. They're all designed to be older marks of armor, so while not exactly mkIII they don't look super out-of-place in 30k.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Ghazk posted:

hot rear end poo poo

The white helms on your vet sarges are rad as poo poo. I'm glad to see more people using the Raptor helms in 30k.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

ijyt posted:

"I'm Alpharius!"
"No, I'm Alpharius!"

Yeah, pick up Headhunters and use them as Vets. Their rules are very womp womp; power daggers are more useful for getting extra lightning claw/power fist/paragon blade attacks than actually stabbing dudes. As cool as combi-bolters are, the range is short (banestrike!) and losing Preferred Enemy really hurts them.

Vets and Tacs, on the other hand, are hot-rear end poo poo. Infiltrate your 20-man blob with Apothecary onto a midfield objective, back it up with some Vets. Speaking of Vets, sniping characters with missile launchers is a time-honored tradition of 30k. As long as your spring for the suspensor webs to keep them mobile, I've found heavy weapons in Vet squads to really increase their punch.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Last time I painted space barbies was almost a decade ago, can anyone point me in the right direction on painting some Alpha Legion?

Tamiya Light Blue Metallic Spray is your friend. Basecoat them in grey spray and go to town. The darker ones in the image below were coated in incubi darkness because I had a dumb, though I think I may do more like them in the future. Follow up with a light purple wash to catch the recesses and a few light glazes of clear green and you're good to go (or at least somewhere tabletop-ready with very little real work, like in the smaller images)

And really, there's no wrong way to paint your Harrow! Whatever methods ends up being the most fun is the best.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Haha, yeah; I remember the We Are Alpharius group on FB losing their poo poo when the Alchemy range first came out. Here we are, how much later, and a whole lotta nothin. Oh well, thank you based Tamiya.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Awuuuuuuu.

(The most unloved bits.)

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Getting back to painting after some Legionnaire burnout. Have a few more steps to go, but I'm pretty happy with them for basic tabletop. I swear you can't tell how spotty the glaze/washes are in real life.

Legio XX Headhunter Leviathal:

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
^^ those games all look rad as poo poo ^^

Land-speeder users, what are y'all running on them? I'm looking into sourcing some second-hand to add a bit more firepower to my Legio XX without having to put too much more work into assembly.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
I knocked out some more dudes, finally.

Headhunters:

Vets:

Thanks the False Emperor for sponge chipping.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I'm getting a bunch of Mk III marines soon.

What legion does blobs of tactical marines best?

Infiltrating 20-man blobs is fun and will make you friends. Hail hydra!

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Alpha Legion are rad but I feel like having them in Mk III wouldn't be right.

Pfft, shows what you know.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

InsidiousMuppet posted:

Hi, everyone, I usually fool around with 40k/Death Guard, but I've been reading the Horus Heresy books and became pretty enamored with trying out 30k and Word Bearers. These are the first few test models that I've been trying out:

Those are bitchin. Us MD goons should get a 30k hamslam going in the new year, I'm not far from Annapolis myself.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
I've been busy.

bonus Sunday night bourbon-edit:

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

You missed an opportunity to link to the Unspiration thread (or would that have been actively mean instead of the usual yuks?)

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

General Olloth posted:

(Come play 30k we're very nice)

Oh, you all are lovely. I have a good sixty or seventy Very Good Small Heresy Boys and need a palate cleanser for a bit.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
And here I am just being pleased that I pinned up a bunch of tanks that have been sitting in my closet for a year and a half.

Look ma, no glue!

Plus background cat tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
( ^ that terrain fuckin owns ^ )

With the long weekend, I decided to pull my XXth out from their boxes and corners into one spot to take stock of what I have and figure out what really needs doing. Here's the whole thing: completed models, half-finished models, unworked ebay rescues, warts and all.

Lots and lots to do, but I hope that having it all out and staring at me (instead of hiding in bins) will actually help me target my work time properly.

Plus, it's rad to see how much I can put on a table, even if only 15-20% is full tabletop standard.