Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So with the Betrayal at Calth being discontinued....what's the best way to get into the 30k universe?
I love the stories and would enjoy setting up an army or 2.

Am I stuck looking at Forgeworld and dropping $300+ to even get 1,000 points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

TTerrible posted:

You can still pickup plastic MKIV, MKIII, Tartaros and Cataphractii terminators in plastic. If you pick them up from a retailer that does 20% off (and even wait for an eBay coupon to stack on top of that) you can still get started cheap.

There are specific army setups that use almost entirely plastic. What kind of legions/armies are you interested in?

World Eaters, always dug the White and Blue Pre-heresy colour scheme, Deathguard, Iron Warriors or the Imperial Fist

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

TTerrible posted:

Iron Warriors and Imperial Fists I know you can can build decent Primarchs Chosen lists for cheap with the plastic kits. I'm not sure if World Eaters or Deathguard are as hamstrung by that setup. Anyone else?

That's freaking awesome!! Thank you. If anyone els eknows if the World Eaters or Deathguard can do the same...that would be greatly appreciated.

I'll start poking around to see what sort of list I can build w/ Iron Warriors and Imperial Fist. Truthfully I'd love to combine them with some Adeptus Titanicus legions and work on building a campaign around 30k and Titan Legions.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Booley posted:

Mega battle with our titans from yesterday:
*Tons of crazy pics*

drat has the scale of this game changed since I last really threw down 40k, or worked for the company. I switched over to Warmachine not long after Apocalypse dropped so I've missed a few editions but gently caress man. There are some REALLY nice painted models and just overall cool looking things going down there.

Anywho, I'll look to grab some Mk III Squads and start working on colour schemes. Adeptus Titanicus once I figure out what drat legion worked w/ the Iron Warriors. I see them winning out on the army I go with

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Looking for advice. My lady is finally showing interest in some miniature games and digs the look of these models.
She is interested in Alpha Legion or Thousand Sons
I REALLY dig the look of the Grey Slayers of the Space Wolves and the Dark Angels or Ultramarines(never thought I'd ever feel that way about the smurfs). Imperial Fist are always sexy
(I also dig the Word bearers but don't think we should both be traitors)

Would any combo of the ones we like be completely broken against the other?

The plan was to start with Zone Mortalis, as it plays well at smaller points?, and expand from there

I know that the Battle Of Carth has been out of print for ages, so what is the best way to get the models to get started?

Which books do we need? I know there is a $50 book that has the army list crammed in the LEGIONES ASTARTES: AGE OF DARKNESS ARMY LIST
What else do I need besides that?

Thank you

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
What's considered a "good price" to find Betrayal at Calth for on Ebay these days? Would love to pick one up to get 30k going but not sure at what point I'd be better off piece mealing an army

Picked up the first 15 or so audio books of the Horus Heresy has me REALLY amped up to try it and my lady at least is interested in painting

Edit: Is MK III armour valid for Horus Heresy setting?

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 14, 2019

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

I was reading their next article on the Iron Hands, as I found 10 Gorgon Terminators + 20 Medusan Immortals(either breachers or Immortals will make a list at some point and I enjoy both models) + the Contemptor Dreadnaught for a good price and I'm curious....

Why assault marines? Why not Troops + a Rhino?
The Rite of War + Terminators makes perfect sense to me(that right seems super popular for a lot of legions) and I'm just trying to understand. I am reading back through the rules and the army list trying to figure this all out

Edit: thank you for the response Broken Record Talk!! I'm pricing out piecemeal vs grabbing the box at 250.
Lady is trying to decide on a Legion which will help me figure it all out

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Curious if I'm on the right path in terms of making a Iron Hand army. Why?
Because I am so drat torn in terms of what loyalist army to do. My lady is pretty set on Alpha Legion or Thousand Sons but drat if I don't like so many of the models from Forge World.

Edit: let's see if this paste properly. Made off of BattleScribe for ZM

++ Zone Mortalis - Attacker (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [1,000pts] ++

+ Elites +

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon [175pts]
. Contemptor Dreadnought, Legion
. . Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon: Twin-linked Bolter
. . Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon: Twin-linked Bolter

+ HQ +

Praetor, Legion [155pts]: Artificer Armour, Combi-weapon, Cyber-familiar, Digital Lasers, On Foot
. Chainsword or Combat Blade: Chainswords/Combat Blades
. Power Weapon: Power Axe

Praevian [105pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Combi-weapon, On Foot
. Consul
. . Praevian

+ Troops +

Gorgon Terminator Squad , Compulsory [235pts]: 2x Chainfist, 4x Gorgon Terminator, Heavy Flamer, Power Fist

Veteran Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory [195pts]: 9x Bolt Pistol, 8x Bolter, 9x Chainswords/Combat Blades, Flamer, 9x Veteran Space Marines, Legion
. Veteran Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Power Fist

+ Heavy Support +

Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple [135pts]: Support Unit
. Castellax class Battle-automata: Darkfire Cannon, 2x Flamer, Stock Chargers

+ Allegiance +

Legion and Allegiance: X: Iron Hands, Loyalist

Rite of War: Pride of the Legion

+ Use Playtest Rules +

Use Playtest Rules: Playtest Rules On

++ Total: [1,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 26, 2019

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Thank you for the suggestions!! I've come up with 2 tweaked list that I hope can form the basis of a solid army building up to 2k or 3k(whatever) that won't completely break the bank

++ Zone Mortalis - Attacker (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [1,000pts] ++

+ Elites +

Contemptor-Cortus Class Dreadnought Talon [155pts]
. Cortus Dreadnought
. . Dreadnought Chainfist: Twin-linked Bolter
. . Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon: Heavy Flamer

+ HQ +

Praetor, Legion [165pts]: Artificer Armour, Combi-weapon, Cyber-familiar, Digital Lasers, On Foot, Paragon Blade

Praevian [105pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Combi-weapon, On Foot
. Consul
. . Praevian

+ Troops +

Gorgon Terminator Squad , Compulsory [235pts]: 2x Chainfist, 4x Gorgon Terminator, Heavy Flamer, Power Fist

Veteran Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory [205pts]: 8x Bolt Pistol, 7x Bolter, 9x Chainswords/Combat Blades, Combi-weapon: Plasma gun, Flamer, 9x Veteran Space Marines, Legion

+ Heavy Support +

Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple [135pts]: Support Unit
. Castellax class Battle-automata: Darkfire Cannon, 2x Flamer, Stock Chargers

+ Allegiance +

+ Use Playtest Rules +

++ Total: [1,000pts] ++

OR:

++ Zone Mortalis - Attacker (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [995pts] ++

+ Elites +

Contemptor-Cortus Class Dreadnought Talon [155pts]
. Cortus Dreadnought
. . Dreadnought Chainfist: Twin-linked Bolter
. . Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon: Heavy Flamer

+ HQ +

Praetor, Legion [165pts]: Artificer Armour, Combi-weapon, Cyber-familiar, Digital Lasers, On Foot, Paragon Blade

+ Troops +

Veteran Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory [215pts]: 8x Bolt Pistol, 6x Bolter, 9x Chainswords/Combat Blades, 3x Combi-weapon: Plasma gun, 9x Veteran Space Marines, Legion

Veteran Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory [225pts]: 8x Bolt Pistol, 5x Bolter, 9x Chainswords/Combat Blades, 3x Combi-weapon: Plasma gun, Flamer, 9x Veteran Space Marines, Legion

+ Allegiance +

+ Use Playtest Rules +

++ Total: [995pts] ++

Goal to go higher is add some more combi weapons, add another Vet Squad. Toss in some Vanquishers + Javelin Attack Speeders with Multi Meltas + maybe a Achilles Alpha Land Raider for more tanky goodness

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Even Kirioth is talking about starter set rumors for this dead game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtnpQui_sP8

Don't give me false hope..... Don't tell me I might finally be able to stop trying to track down old starters to get going....

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Double post....can anyone with Epic 30k experience give me feedback on these 2 list? Looking to build one loyalist list and one "traitor" list to introduce people the game. I have settled on Iron Warriors and White Scars.
Before going through getting all the models, I'd like to make sure neither list is too "broken" against the other. Tried to keep them somewhat "fluffy" plus what sounded like fun

Iron Warriors https://munitorum.com/#a86269646975...6616c6c69657380

And White Scars https://munitorum.com/#a86269646947...6616c6c69657380

Thank you!!

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Ghazk posted:

Overall they seem fairly ok from a broken standpoint. In my experience, I haven't come across any particular unit that felt broken. It's just when you heavily skew your overall army it turns into more of a rock/paper/scissors situation.

One critique would be the dreadnought talon in the scars list. Foot slogging dreadnoughts are painfully slow. It's important to have something designated to hold backfield objectives, but a tactical squad can do that for a few more points and 3x as many wounds. Or a thudd gun battery would have a stronger impact. If I'm taking dreadnought talons, a strike cruiser and drop pods are basically auto-include, which may not be viable at this point level.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll work them in later via drop pods as that just sounds fun, points won't work right now without skewing things too much.
Dropping the Dreadnoughts + Assault Squad I can squeeze in another Tactical line with Rhinos + a 4 man Destroyer squad
I hesitate on the Sicaran Battle Tank squadron with the list but they look fun and I dig the models.

I tried not to have either list skew too far either way but IW with tanks and WS with bikes + speeders felt right

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 8, 2021

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Tommunist posted:

Horus heresy 2.0 but its a card game

I'd play it.....

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Whelp good thing I picked up the Warhammer magazine subscription + another Indomitus box. I should be able to use at least some of them for 30k

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
They literally managed to gently caress up the scale for a game they already produced with MK III and MK IV sets for???
Jesus Christ GW.......I was joking about the indomitus thing but maybe I was right.
Guess they gotta get current players to rebuy the entire armies they have already

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Count Thrashula posted:

Also unconfirmed price leak at £240 wtf

This....would not surprise me. If it's like the other starterd they push we might see a whopping 20 models for both side. What a great value!

All snideness aside, I am building up two opposing forces so I can try to get people into Horus Heresy around me

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Yeah if that's true, I'll become a MK VI believer and mix those guys with my already ordered MK III and IV guys
I would also LOVE for it to have Imperial Fist, and not Ultramarines, as the Loyalist
Here's hoping? Here's slight optimism???? I'll snatch up the pre-order if so

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Hixson posted:

I painted some miniatures

Absolutely beautiful models here. If I could paint like that, I'd be all over the Night Lord's

As it is, I can't settle on a traitor Legion to go with the reverse colour scheme Imperial Fist I've been steadily working on(Yellow being the accent and black being the main colour)

I thought I'd be pleased with Word Bearers, they are kinda the real "villain" and puppet master of the Horus Heresy, but I don't love the colour schemes I've seen floating around.
Death Guard are too numerous
World Eaters look sharp if done kinda clean but I'm already doing a tough colour scheme

Blah

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
They stated the set will be under $300 American fun bucks so $275 is possible?

Might have to actually buy the box instead of just printing everything. Kind of....exciting times?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
There was also pictures floating around of space marine squads only being able to be 10 man squads but that does appear to be a starter thing, not am actual new rule

Edit: Also mediocre hobbies put out probably the best Sons of Horus video I've seen here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJUaf6uLkDY
Quick, looks good and doesn't need 100 different colours

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Anyone else find the tone of the Horus Heresy articles being put out about each Legion....kinda off putting?
I get that "it's just fluff" but they seem to have almost a sing song whimsical note to them that kind of undercuts the setting of the Horus Heresy.

Maybe this is my first old man moment here but like. I don't know. Something I always loved about 30k was the more serious nature of campaigns or battles. Brother on brother apocalypse level stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

Im gonna make my 30k army entirely beakies just to make all the grogs mad

Paint in a scheme that shouldn't exist like the twat who was like I'm gonna do the Flesh Tearers in 30k