Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Panascope.

Update the OP.

Neck beard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Anybody know if these will fit the sides of the Storm Eagle?

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Blood-Angels-Rhino-and-Front-Plate

Stanyer89 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 13, 2016

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

panascope posted:

The autocannon is the best heavy weapon they've ever done.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Can I use the BA tactical box shoulderpads for my 30k mandollies? I like them more than the FW ones, but muh immersion.

I tried this on a model and it looked very odd unless you do both shoulder pads. Still even with both pads the 40k BA emblems look off and out of proportion on the MIV models.

Stanyer89 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 14, 2016

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Killer_Bees! posted:

I have decided to keep my clean looking Night Lords theme going so I can use them as fresh off terra Crusade or Loyalist post Istvann splinter force. I'm working towards a space based force, so lots of drop pods, fliers, Caestus rams and boarding or orbital insertion troops. I am leaning towards not taking Sevatar or Curze to keep with the loyalist line and just use a Praetor in termi armour so I can spend more dosh on cool toys. Sev does have some sexy teleporting rules though but that can be easily replicated with command rhinos, vox and aug webs if needed. Anyway progress on my Praetor and termi bros with combi plasma

Looks good. Should be interesting to see where this goes with loyalist rules.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

I was possibly going to justify it with Blood Angels have stronger than average jump packs.

I did my Blood Angel Assault Marines in MkV only because the poses come cooler... but I still used the MKIV heads & shoulder pads because they look better.

Fluff wise I'll say they are "transitioning" from MkIV to V and are using whatever parts of the new MKV they can use in anticipation of the Battle of Terra.

Come at me bro. (WIP!)

Stanyer89 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 17, 2016

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

What is this about MkIII not working with jump packs? Even assuming that MkIII was heavier than any other armor, jump packs were used to toss a huge, heavy dude in massive armor through the sky. I doubt this would have been an issue. Is this limitation mentioned somewhere?

Yeah, but no one actually wanted MkV because it was a step down from MkIV. It was easier to manufacture and repair though.
:goonsay:

Those are cool models. MkV is one of my favorite armor versions, but I like the helmets a lot.

Nerd Fluff Alert: I guess I was going more for the "Hey we are loyalist and we are getting hosed up, we need to patch our poo poo up with what we got and get ready to rumble". More of a "have to do" versus a "want to do".

I like the MKV armour too but I really just did not like the MKV helmets.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

My BA apothecary is now a proper blood angel. Knives are sharp, kids.

MkIII or IV?

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Ville Valo posted:

Are there any specific models that absolutely shouldn't be used for a 30K Ultramarines force? I'm trying to keep my new army dual-purpose, so I can play in as many local games as possible.

All my tac marines/vets are Betrayal at Calth + FW shoulders/helmets/torsos, all the terminators are BaC too. I've got Ven Dreads from 40K, though, and current Rhinos with FW panels/doors.

So long as I'm not trying to throw Calgar or something in there, should I be alright, fluff-wise?

Edit: color test from this weekend:

I say things like a stormraven or other specific vehicles that have a size difference while being the same thing shouldn't be used, but as far as power armour goes I'd say anything up to and including MKVII works in my book.

Why say this for MKVII:

Mark VII armour, also known as the “Aquila,” “Imperator” or “Eagle” armour, was developed during the Horus Heresy, and remains in use as the most common form of power armour ten thousand years later. It represents the final major development of Mark 6 armour. While the final battle for Mars was underway, the Imperium realised the planet would eventually be lost. Armour development teams were transferred to Earth to continue, incorporating their latest work into the armour type that would become Mark 7. As Mars fell to Horus, the new armour began reaching the Space Marines on Terra and Luna.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

krursk posted:

Your marine looks really nice to me. Are you using an airbrush? I was originally using brown to do my shading but it was too easy to mess up the tone. I switched to orange and it works well.

Lately I've been priming white and pre-shadowing the under areas with orange. I zenithal the mids with tamiya lemon yellow and then do a light white highlight on the most exposed bits: tops of shoulder pads; the helmets crest; top left corner of the breastplate; the top of the backpack; and the knees. Then I give it a spray with thinned flashgitz to bring it all together.

For the washes I was initially doing a pin wash with burnt umber oil paint and white spirits but I just wasn't 100% happy with the results. I've since moved to a few coats of wonder wash (all the brownish and yellowish washes mixed together with loads of thinner and flow assister), followed up with an undiluted 50/50 Druchii Violet & Carroburg Crimson line wash. I'm still experimenting but I like the current effect so far even though it takes a lot more time then a simple pin wash.

I'm not at home this week and I don't have any pictures of my current test models but this was an earlier experiment. I used a tamiya orange as the dark shade underneath followed by a flat yellow highlight with a thin sepia wash. I wasn't happy with it as it was too dark in general but the orange under the yellow gave it some reasonable shading without looking too brown and dull. I'll eventually fix the model up with some flashgitz highlights and finish it but that can wait until after I assembly-line paint the 120 marines and 12 tanks that are sitting primed on my work table.

Yellow is by far my favorite colour on marines, when done correctly like you have.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

You should really try a Transparent Yellow wash to bring out the color. Just putting it on your existing model would brighten the color and give it a warm red saturation. Combined with a reddish brown undercoat you'll have a great looking yellow. I think panascope used something similar on his titan project a few years ago.

He did? I didn't think he ever painted it...

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

details on that left figure thanks

Safety Factor posted:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Blood-Angels-Chaplain-with-Jump-Pack

It's some character model they pumped out a few months ago. It wasn't tied to a release, just a random wave of releases or something.

Close. Here is a picture after the arm was magnetized and chopped and redone with Forgeworld bits. I can get a better picture later of what it looks like now that it is done and based. I think it looks better without the crozius and since I run him as my 30k Warden (Chaplain) it is nice to be able to switch out what weapons he is equipped with.

Stanyer89 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 19, 2016

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Alright, goons, I'm looking for some advice. I've completed the first five of my Dark Angels army and I'm trying to decide on a color for their weapons. My 40k DA have always had black guns, chainswords, or whatever so I'm kind of leaning towards that. Additionally, the couple of background images showing DA models in book VI also seem to show black weapons. The lovely, rushed models painted for the task force bundle also have black weapons. Those are all my reasons. Now, I have crudely painted five different options to choose from. I'm honestly between dark red or black weapon casings. The others are just included for completeness` sake.

I know the lighting is off on these pictures and they don't really show all the highlights on the armor, but it's loving storming outside so natural light wasn't really available. I'll get better pictures of these guys once the bolters are all done.

These models took me a lot longer than they should because I kept going back over every mistake while thinking about what to do next. I've tried to spice up the basic black/silver armor paint scheme and since DA are all about esoteric symbols and poo poo, that's easy. The lighting doesn't show them well, but two of the models have dark green stripes on their bare shoulder pad and there's the occasional green elbow or knee pad. Those might need to be bumped up from Dark Angels green to something brighter to be more visible. One model has a black cross on a bone background and one more has an attempt at a checker pattern. I'm not 100% happy with the checkers so I might paint over them, but it was worth trying and I will definitely work them into the rest of my army. The studs are all done in brass and might still need a highlight pass while the black armor was highlighted with shadow grey followed by fortress gray. If anyone remember what those colors looked like. The scheme is mostly nailed down at this point and I know where I can save time on future models. On the (potential) flipside, I found that those ridiculous knives got in the way while painting and there's actually some spots with bare plastic behind them. I know they're not visible and no one will ever notice them, but I'll be leaving the power packs and knives off future models at least until I can get all the cables behind them.

Obviously, these guys aren't based yet nor have they been sealed if that matters. I am planning on going with these for the entire army. I'm open to ideas for the color of the bases; marble, granite, etc. are all options. I'd like something that contrasts with the black armor so the models stand out a bit more.

So yeah. It begins.

Red guns for sure and maybe some thicker highlights? I'm a bigger fan of zenith style dry brushing myself but that comes at the cost of having less crisp clean looking models...

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

2++ if you are BA and its night. :getin:

Legion rules and RoWs do not benefit the Leviathan. It's says it on the data sheet.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

Late Autumn/Early Winter 2016. Russ' sculpt is being worked on and Magnus will follow him on the release schedule. Expect to have robbits and sick psychic poo poo.

I don't get their Primarchs order. Why would Russ and Magnus come out before Sanguinius?

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

And Alpharius. But maybe that's the idea for that one.

Current BA/DA/WS rules are a "beta test" of sorts, I don't think FW would release anything for them until they get their proper army rules, characters, units, etc.
I'd expect to see their Contemptors way, waaaaay before any Primarchs.

I guess that is true about the Contemptors. I just figured since BA got their "beta" rules while 1k sons and space furries have nothing that we'd see something for us first. My mistake in daring to make sense of anything related to Games Workshop...

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

panascope posted:

It's pretty weird that somebody would have a loving Warhound Titan but not, you know, a car.

Anyway, here's some words to describe what Hixson and I did in our campaign today:

Smashed is what I did to all of my painted toys after the lamest ending to a game, ever.

And I have seen a lot of lame poo poo playing with you losers over the years.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

I haven't written ours yet, but I'm borrowing ideas from the Tactical Strike rules at adepticon:
http://adepticon.org/wpfiles/2015/HorusHeresyTacticalStrike.pdf

They disallow models with a toughness higher than 5 and more than 3 wounds. I don't think there's any automata that fit that criteria, so the cortex controller rules will never come in to play.

I actually like that rule a lot. Anything with more than 3 wounds is normally not even fun to play against.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

What'd be the best application of Perturabo beyond a £70 paperweight? He's striking me as a tank-popper right now.

Run him as Ferrus Manus and bring Medusan Immortals.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

koreban posted:

Thanks man, it feels good to be back on the horse again.

I'm hoping to get started on my EC here soon. Got my confidence up and I'm handing over the commission to the buyer today.

When are you going to enjoy our cancer fun game times with us?

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

koreban posted:

I'm still at the ~500 pts built level right now. I have to sit down and assemble more spindly, bent resin mans. I'll try to get 1000 points put together in the next week or so and hit you guys up.

I'd be down to play a couple team or free-for-all 1,000 point games. My brother picked up a Calth box and is currently working on his Space Furry Army as well.

By "working on" I mean he has bought the Calth box and is waiting for me to assemble and paint them for him.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

panascope posted:

Bulbasaur can confirm but it looks like the doors are too heavy for the spindly little hinges they come with. I know he magnetized his (before I thrashed the stupid Leviathan inside).

aka got dumpstered by everything you looked at and rode on the back of your 1gay Sons teammate.

Git gud scrub.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Stanyer89 posted:

aka got dumpstered by everything you looked at and rode on the back of your 1gay Sons teammate.

Git gud scrub.

Also,

Your army sucks and you should buy a new one.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

panascope posted:

How many times have you won? Literally never?

"Winning is in the eye of the beholder.' - Wayne Gretzky, 2016

As far as Dreadnought Drop pods go, I know Bulbasaur did something very similar to this:

http://scythesoftheemperor40kchapter.blogspot.com/2016/04/magnetized-dreadnought-dop-pod-build.html

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

koreban posted:

When one of you babbys gets so mad he throws a model, everyone wins.

It had wings. gently caress me for thinking GW doesn't make functioning aerodynamic models right?

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Hencoe posted:

Not having your flyer(s) come in from reserve is ball busting enough, but now they can just die before they come on? It's not like 30k has that many flyers anyways. Compared to 40k at least.

And 40k looks to be getting two more flyers...

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

weren't there quick painting guides for the legions they put out when battle for calth launched? I can't seem to find them anywhere but I thought they did. not the old book 1 legion painting guides, those are still up.

I could of swore it was a picture someone posted from a weekender. Was trying to find it for you but can't remember where it was posted...

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

DrPop posted:

Are these what you're looking for?

Those were the pictures I was thinking of, I don't know if that's what he (she?) was looking for though.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

that's what's I was thinking of, yeah. were there written instructions anywhere printed or no?

Looks like Primer, 3 Color Base Coat, Details/Emblems Base Coat + Varnish than a final Wash + Base.

Stanyer89 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 27, 2016

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Edit: One other thing to note. I'm sure you're aware of it, but just in case you're not, the Deredeo's invulnerable save thing only works on infantry. I once dreamt up a big, stupid armored fist of like 5 dreadnoughts hanging out with 4++ saves, but it was not to be.

This I did not know...

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

Is it? Am I misreading the typhon? It has one shot - which I get at worst a 4+ invuln from. I drop down in a pod which has shrouded, I don't disembark. Pod might get smashed, who gives a poo poo - I then get out of it and he's blown his load.

You may want to look into the melta lance option.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

But what if I'm not a weak-rear end bitch?

#Bulbasaur

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i thought fnp saves already weren't allowed against ID hits, even with EW

This.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

I can't wait to buy the Blood Angels HH dice to match the 100's of dollars I have spent on 40k Blood Angels dice.

And still roll 1's for daaaaays.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Got my last Assault Marine Sergeant ready for the table top.

Only 11 left out of 20 more to go until I'm done...

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

DeadGame posted:

Finished my first model of my World Eaters. These guys are set during and just after Armatura - the end of the Shadow Crusade. Angron is losing it. The World Eaters have little operational command and control left. Supplies are thin, but no one really cares. The World Eaters are lost to the nails. What few ancients remain have been purged of the last loyalist War Hounds. The only dreadnaughts left slip in and out of insanity.

Here is ancient Balagimon, once the Terran Balag of Sumer. The shadow crusade has left him a maddened remnant of his former self.

This guy was a test for a bunch of techniques I don't know. I tried out oil washing, technical blood, oil rust weathering, weathering powders on the feet, weathered decals, engine oil streaking, and airbrushing all of the base colors. It's probably over the top, but it was fun using the new techniques and trying to improve my game.

A little annoyed by the join lines on the legs. They weren't nearly as obvious until oil settled in on them. This kit is hard to not have that happen.

Looks very good. Did you have any issues with paint peeling when you were removing the oil wash?

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Shazaminator posted:

I love the Breacher models - both the generic ones and all the Legion-specific variations - but they're just too expensive for what they do that they really just don't seem worth taking, which is a shame.

Same with Assault marines, but I have just gone the route of hoping for a sick nasty price drop here soon.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Really nice Thousand Son you've got there

It's been some time since we've seen any of your awesome Iron Hands models. Did you give up on modeling just like you gave up on the Iron Warrior's rules?

e: I hate you.

Stanyer89 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 16, 2016

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

FW crew gives a 25 point drop for assault marines and gives all consuls the support officer special rule

Was this in a recent FAQ?

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Hixson posted:

Looks good man. Free handing text aint easy, you pulled it off well.

EVERYONE POST YOUR MANS
Here's my spec mehrines in various stages of completion:

*garbage post*

Looks like poo poo. Find a new hobby, nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Think of it more like an Olympic baseball pitch

When you have cannons for arms this is the only result...