Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's the wrong green for the Dark Angels legion in the year M30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I use a wash to darken around the rivet, then just tap a highlight on with a very fine brush after it's dry.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Can anyone recommended guides for Emperor's Children in metallic purple? I'm guessing just boltgun with purple washes, right?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

This Humble Bundle just dropped, and it has a ton of Horus Heresy books, audio books, and other stuff!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

OhDearGodNo posted:

My son plays EC.

This technically makes you Emperor.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm looking at re-arming an Imperial Knight for 30k - what does the Questoris Battle Cannon and the Questoris Avenger Gatling Cannon look like? Are they just the 40k arms with different stats?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

poo poo I picked a bad time to ask if Questoris Battle Cannons had a model.

I'm just going to make some weird muzzle break to I can stick into a 40k BC when I want the extra -1S shot.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

TTerrible posted:

I suspect the weapons are the same as the rapid fire battle cannon etc from 40k

Thanks! It seemed strange that they can also take Rapid Fire BC instead of the Questoris, I wasn't sure if there was some dumb OOP resin variant I'd missed.

Also those EC look delightful. In the fluff they started individually customizing their wargear, so there's no "wrong purple" from an historical perspective.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I was looking at Taghmata and the Tech-thralls really, really caught my eye. I would absolutely love to swarm robo-zombie troops with heavy chain-blades.

Is there a consensus on how to get the most out of them? A few max units The FNP and Hatred upgrade sounds rad and fluff-appropriate, but maybe that's because I'm bad at 30k.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Thanks, that's some good stuff to think about!

I'm leaning towards chainblades since my meta is all-marines all the time, plus I feel like that's going to enable some fun conversations. Revenant, fearless, and transports seem like it would overcome S&P... but then I see what you're saying about the cost.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Haha, I absolutely will. I should warn you it's going to be the heavily converted mess I've wanted to make since I was a little kid in Rouge Trader days, though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Here's a blurry camera photo of a sloppy mock-up! Chainblade tech-thralls. I really like the Sigmarine death masks, and went ahead and ordered more flagellants and some Tzangoor chainswords (they have a similar aesthetic as the mask.)

I don't think the flesh came out 'dead' enough, and I'd like them to be a little more 'tech'. I don't know, I'll probably end up jamming guitar wire into future ones or something. I want it to be an easy enough bash that I can repeat about 100x, so if anyone has ideas for improvement I'd like to hear!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Thallax figures are like 30% harder to assemble than they need to be. The one-handed pose requires four pieces to be glued simultaneously and that's bonkers.

I'm tentatively pricing out my Taghmata list and It looks like I'm going to be able to run a max Thallax maniple, five fearless twenty-thrall chainblade blobs, and a prime with lachrimallus (to potentially recycle the thralls) for ~1100 points.

:science:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Absolutely! I'll be posting updates and dedicating most of next Oath season to this.

What's a good build for the HQ? I definitely want Lachrymallus, but then everything else ought to be melee since he's going in a thrall blob?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

This is fun!

This is... oh god that's only 15 and they're not even done.

e: Future ones are going to have silver-painted skeleton arms because of discount cybernetics.

moths fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 28, 2017

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Is there any chance of a 30k Shadow War?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Cool, I'll look for that homebrew, thanks.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ok quick knight question:
They have four symbols for the carapace: the eye of horus, imperial eagle, mechanicus cog, and then a weird wreathed skull. What's the last skull a symbol of?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Huh. Ok, I thought there was some mysterious fourth faction I'd overlooked in my (admittedly brief) reading of the fluff.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Unifying the stat blocks is going to lead to a smoother game ultimately. Removing the facing is a reaction to chariot drifting.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm building up my Magos and I have no idea what a Rad Furnace is supposed to look like... Is it just a jet engine exhaust sticking out of his chest?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Perfect, thanks. I think I've got the ideal bit.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I hope you'll have an easier time chewing worlds.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

thallax front

thallax rear

These guys are done! I've only got about 20 tech-thralls put together, but hopefully I'll get a start of them next month.

Man, I don't know how I feel about 30k staying with 6.5 for now. Mostly I approve.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I finally got to see the 30k Sisters of Silence list, which I had assumed paralleled the 40k one.

What the heck, there is barely any overlap and the 30k ones have all kinds of rad beastmistresses and HQ choices, and the grav-submarines instead of Rhinos. Is there any fluff reason they forgot how to shoot boltpistols and train CYBERJACKALS?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Primaris Custodes.

Is there a good source for SoS cyberjackals?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It sold out before I got the email.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Big deal I had that tank in 8th.. grade.. and... OH gently caress IT'S GLORIOUS

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Counterpoint: Chinese resin is cheaper than plastic, 30k is a budget intro game.

I ordered the new book, and am sorting out my toxx. I moved my tech thrall hordes to the back-burner due to the 8th uncertainty, but this looks like the year it happens.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ok :toxx: me in.

HQ: Magos Dominus
TR: 10x Adseculari
TR: 3x Thallax
FA: 3x Vorax

My "current 30k army" is a whopping 3x Thallax that I painted last year to see if I liked the figures - which, why yes, I love them very much. (...And some chainblade tech thralls I'm converting for an insane hundred-thrall meat pile.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You have probably already seen, but some of those new Escher heads have feathers in their hair if you want some lady crows.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's about 21 more than I plan to use. Am I doing this wrong?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Wait is 30k actually dying because I finally ordered a rulebook? Did I do this?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The real clincher is that the bayonette lug is on top. There's absolutely no way that's on purpose.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

How do you even make a mistake like that?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Paint it white- ivory- brown like you're doing it in bone colors, then glaze yellow. Surprise, it's already shaded & highlighted!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

IIRC the bone was to honor the loss of Calliban, with the Genestealer tale being a misdirection.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Sulecrist posted:

Third-world recasters are paying massively discounted wages for only one very specific part of that. Recast models will always be a fraction of the price of legitimate ones.

The thinking is that FW would sell much more if they lowered the prices.

Basically if they went (hypothetically) 50% off they'd sell more than twice as much, which would still allow them to cover their overhead.

But FW is a weird little hobby industry that doesn't have the capability to manufacture more so they inflated MSRP as a speed governor to limit the amount of models they need to produce.

E: I'm not claiming this is true, it's just the thinking. However, FW practices are a holdover from before GW believed in market research, so maybe there's something to it.

moths fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 24, 2018

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Where's that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh cool, thanks. Looks like I picked a good day to have a sinus infection!