Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Once we start playing points values that allow for Horus I'm not sure I'll ever take another LoW again. Maybe my Warhound when I want to create a No-Fun Zone (this maximizes my fun).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Horus did nothing wrong.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

Panascope who once trolled a kid so hard at an FLGS that they started screaming loudly and left the store.

Is it bad that I don't even remember this?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

SteelMentor posted:

my opponent "Forgetting" that jinking reduces you to snap shots, every turn.

People need to remember the ABCs of warhammer:

Always
Be
Cheating

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Recoome posted:

There was a guide or something to Sons of Horus dudes using a Vallejo paint and a wash, but I can't find it. I'm thinking about doing them but I want to do up a test piece first, otherwise I'm going with Iron Warriors.

I do:
1)Zenithal Prime
2)Basecoat of Vallejo German Army Uniform
3)Wash of GW Coelia Greenshade
4)Gold Trim
5)Black Wash
6)Highlight with German Army Uniform and a medium grey, GW Dawnstone or whatever

This looks pretty good to me. If you want a richer green color instead of the pale green this produces, use USMC Tank Crew from the Vallejo Panzer Aces line.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

As long as the other guy is mad I don't give a poo poo what their toys look like.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BaconCopter posted:

Well congrats to the goon that already made their own phenomenal Thousand Sons, you owned the hell out of FW.

Please don't make Hixson feel good about himself. He only plays with me because of years of abuse.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I updated the OP with Bulbasaur's post about trap units, is there anything else people would like to see added?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hixson posted:

I think the pose is supposed to capture the moment where he just touches down. He is still moving down and forward. You can see the rocks breaking under his left foot. I think the hair is fine .

Not my favorite of the primarch models; but certainly not the worst.

I think Mortarion is the worst looking of the bunch, what does everybody else think? The pose is just awkward and static, and not in a cool way where it's obviously propaganda like Horus or Roboute.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Iron Warriors have real good characters and special units but lol those rules.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Real loving psyched for Justaerin to get 2W, which will make them enter The Own Zone.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

It's insane how much better lightning claws look when they look like fingers and not like Wolverine's claws.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Totally down but I'm not sure if I'm cool enough to flip out and smash my mans when I lose.

Turn out if I'm not there everybody's real cordial and has a good time. I'm a bad winner, it comes from years of HoN and Dota.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The dreadclaw is cool because it's a 100 point assault vehicle.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Recoome posted:

Not if you are playing Iron Warriors, or Sons of Horus potentially.

The Black Reaving isn't bad, it's just that Maloghurst is like the best character in the game and provides basically the same benefits. Yeah Rage for charging into existing combats could be cool but Sons of Horus is already really good at CC.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Even Forgeworld has switched to recasters.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I made a separate Battlescribe catalog for our group's campaign so that I wouldn't have to fudge the numbers in a regular session. Making catalogs is usually pretty easy but gently caress making them from scratch for 30k.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Single power claws are extremely good for Sons of Horus terminators to give them the Merciless Fighters bonus.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hencoe posted:

Because of its other name, "Unused"

:vd:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I just had the most ideal game of Warhammer 30,000. Nobody had any fun, Hixson and I didn't know what the mission was until the last turn of the game, and we were all mad at the end. On the plus side, at least no models were smashed and Bulbasaur only sort of hated the pizza we got!

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Highlight of our game was a souped up blood angle chaplain in artificer armor with a photonic blade failing to cause any wounds at all and instead getting killed by my praetor with lightning claws in one round of combat. Traitor supremacy bitch.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Stanyer89 posted:

That was a good part, but the BEST part was when Bulbasaur was reading out the game type while you and Hixson were jerking each other off in the corner not paying attention resulting in instant wet tears followed by the phrase, "No. No this is bullshit. No. Bullshit and you know it", at Turn 5. Even better was how salty Hixson was after he had still won.

Frankly I'm just glad we were able to have a game without you destroying your own property.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Recoome posted:

It is a shameful person that plays their Iron Warriors as counts-as Iron Hands

Bulbasaur is straight from Russia and thus knows no shame. I've seen him successfully complete the cinnamon challenge for a large pizza.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Justaerin are loving dope as hell now, they're the cheapest 2W terminators in the game.

panascope fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 6, 2016

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Please post all of the Sons of Horus poo poo that you see, now and forever.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Christ, you never thought you'd be begging for Preferred Enemy: Monstrous Creatures.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Justaerin can take 12 models in a squad too.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Man I really like these Sons of Horus changes. Terminators get an insane buff, and even their Legion rules got buffed too. That +1BS to shooting within 12" is pretty cool, especially with all the outflanking and deep striking you can do. Really looking forward to dropping Horus and a 12-man squad of Justaerin to wipe out whatever they look at.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Being able to double people out is dope and your melta bomb will only be relevant against vehicles the rest of your squad can't do anything about.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hencoe posted:

Do any of you guys have experience in an escalation style league for 30k? I put out a poll last night on the area's FB page and got a surprising response. So I want to try and get this going, looking for any advice as I've never run one before, let alone for 30k.

We're doing an escalation league right now. Low points 30k matches are actually pretty cool because you have to be real thoughtful about what you take.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

That Sons of Horus list looks pretty good. I'm a big fan of power fists on the Reaver chieftains personally, just because they have so many attacks. The Vindicator is probably ok, I like the Rapier platforms myself just because T7 is pretty hard to kill and there's more ablative wounds in a full squad. You might consider using the new Sons of Horus Rite of War The Long March, which will give your outflanking Reavers Crusader (as long as they're in your enemy's deployment), which is a pretty bonkers special rule in 30k. You could also give your 5-man Reaver squad a dreadclaw to benefit from the re-rolling 1s on the first turn and to give them the +1BS for shooting within 12".

panascope fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 10, 2016

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Sulecrist posted:

Hmm. For 2150 I could drop Maloghurst and add the Anvillus and a second tactical squad, although I feel weird about using a 100-point transport to deliver a disposable 200-point unit. I don't think I want to/can fit a Dreadclaw in at 1850, and at 2150 without Maloghurst I'd need a Praetor or Delegatus or Horus or Abaddon to take the Rite that turns it on. No reason not to use Long March at 1850, though; as best I can tell it's just a free bonus.

I seriously considered Rapiers and I still may go that route. I don't like the direct-fire Rapier models so much aesthetically, and the Vindicator gets me the same number of shots as a full battery with better range (48" vs 36" I believe) and for cheaper. I'll have to think about it, but I could definitely be persuaded.

Sulecrist posted:

Hmm. For 2150 I could drop Maloghurst and add the Anvillus and a second tactical squad, although I feel weird about using a 100-point transport to deliver a disposable 200-point unit. I don't think I want to/can fit a Dreadclaw in at 1850, and at 2150 without Maloghurst I'd need a Praetor or Delegatus or Horus or Abaddon to take the Rite that turns it on. No reason not to use Long March at 1850, though; as best I can tell it's just a free bonus.

I seriously considered Rapiers and I still may go that route. I don't like the direct-fire Rapier models so much aesthetically, and the Vindicator gets me the same number of shots as a full battery with better range (48" vs 36" I believe) and for cheaper. I'll have to think about it, but I could definitely be persuaded.

Well I should add I usually go 2 squads of 10 reavers, one outflanking with jump packs and one deep striking in a Dreadclaw. I think that works pretty well and gives you pretty good odds of turning on the Merciless Fighters bonus.

As for Rapiers vs Vindicators I think it's probably dependent on your meta. If there's lots of artillery and big blasts the Vindicator is probably better due to taking fewer HP/pinning tests (assuming they don't just blow it up), but T7 is generally harder to deal with than AV13/11/10. Bulbasaur brings a pair of Vindicators most games and they're occasionally relevant. My Rapier platforms haven't performed that much better honestly, although the last time we played they kind of warped the deployment and forced Bulbasaur/Stanyer to stay out of their kill zone.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Imagine how fun a drop pod is to build and then imagine you had to carve up parts of it to fit to the dreadclaw parts.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

That list looks dope, Maloghurst and an Apothecary with Breachers should be totally bonkers in terms of survivability.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Single lightning claw is dope as gently caress on all terminators. It's pretty rare that you'll actually get the merciless fighters bonus, since your typical 5 man squad will only count as 10 models so axes aren't as bad as you might think, especially with Furious Charge making you S6. With Justaerin having chosen warriors though, anybody can challenge, so having a mix is good to give you a chance against everything.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

No, superheavies ignore that dumbass ordnance weapon rule.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Sons are really good at infantry-heavy armies with lots of reserves. Good Rites of War to consider are The Long March and the Orbital Assault one that lets you take Drop Pods. They're not bad at anything, but you don't really gain much from units that aren't trying to get in assault.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

With the changes to the Justaerin I don't think Sons of Horus really have any trap units. Reavers are sick with jump packs and Outflank. Their only real bad units are Abaddon and Loken. Maloghurst is probably the best special character in the game for the points.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Sulecrist posted:

On paper Abaddon doesn't seem godawful, just less of a head-to-head combat monster than a vanilla Paragon Blade Praetor. He's essentially a Tartaros Praetor with an Iron Halo and MC powerfist (MSRP 170), which is all pretty reasonable, and then he went out and got a Grenade Harness and an off-hand power sword for some reason, and then he's +1 WS, Precision Strike (prolly irrelevant), Teleporter Assault (prolly irrelevant) and most importantly Fearless for 215 total. I'm considering eventually getting him to lead a blob at bigger games since unlike Maloghurst he wouldn't slow them down. Plus he's got a sweet model.

He'd be less attractive if I expected to play with Relics, though.

I think the problem is that he's just not really good at anything. He doesn't have enough attacks to slay blobs of dudes, if you attack with the power fist you're in danger of dying to some schmuck with a paragon blade, he doesn't make Terminators troops, and his warlord trait is godawful. Fearless is dope though, so is not being slowed down by the Terminator armor. For 215 points, though, it just seems like you should be getting more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Plastic bikes would just be incredible.