Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I went with the bare head for my Lion but I love the helm sculpt, so I dremel’d up an old watcher in the dark to bear it into battle Azrael style.

Pretty happy with how it came out!

6’1” vs 5’11”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Played a couple games of 2.0 today, here are some initial thoughts.
I played Sons of Horus in both games, with a Black Reaving list that included a Praetor, a Master of Signal, a squad of Justaerin, a Tactical Squad, and a Despoiler Squad.
The Praetor was with the Justaerin, and basically fine. He had a Paragon Blade and carved up some guys in the first game against Night Lords (I lost), but didn't really do much in my second game against Emperor's Children (I barely won).
The Master of Signals is pretty bonkers for being a 35 point upgrade. Being able to test off his leadership once per turn is nanners. Strategic Comms is a nice upgrade and this guy easily paid for himself in both games.
The Justaerin will have to be handled in every game, they are total beefcakes, they put out a lot of damage with the combi-banestrike bolters, and their axes having Rending (4+) helps put them over the top. For 300 points though they better be brick shithouses. Black Reaving giving them Deep Strike coupled with the Master of Signals made bringing them on basically a sure thing.
The Despoilers were totally pointless in both games. I was hoping to use them to turn on Rage for the Justaerin but it just didn't work out. They simply did not match up against the 2W assault units - Night Raptors and Palatine Blades - they were facing.
On the flip side the Tac Squad with a vexilla were extremely resilient and useful in both games. With the Master of Signals attached they were outputting a lot of firepower with Fury of the Legion activating in every game. My original list was 30 Tactical Marines but I left some of those models at home so I had to sub in the Despoilers.

I liked the Reaction system, I'm not sure anybody turned on Return Fire but I know the others got turned on, as did everyone's special reactions and Interceptor. It introduced a nice push and pull to each turn. The Legion-specific reactions were great, the Emperor's Children player used hers to absolutely dunk on my Despoilers, and I turned on Death Dealer to good effect in both games. Hixson went ape for his, using The Better Part of Valour to set up some big league dunkings.

Something interesting we found was that the Dreadnought Close Combat weapon has been reduced to merely being S8, meaning that Dreadnoughts can't double out Justaerin or any multi-wound Sons of Horus models. Hixson's Contemptor was a bit of a bust in general it seemed, in part because of this.

Hixson had his Warlord with an Assault Squad and took the Warlord Trait that allows you to reroll failed Dangerous Terrain checks, which came up every turn since we were playing Zone Mortalis and saved him from losing several models. Jump Packs make you move far now, the mobility was definitely a clear bonus and directly led to him winning our game.

Salynne's Emperor's Children gave me a run for my money, her Phoenix Terminators and Palatine Blades were basically unkillable in melee thanks to their Perfect Defense, which ground down my Justaerin over the course of several turns. I wound up eking out a victory after losing a combat with my Tactical Squad thanks to my Vexilla only forcing me to retreat 2".

Outflank is pretty lame now. It's very easy to counter-deploy against and if you gently caress up the deployment thing you wind up in a corner. Deep Strike is much stronger.

panascope fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 3, 2022

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Deofuta posted:

Is 40 marines enough for most space marine lists? Would grabbing two of the new boxes be ending up with a ton of extra bodies? Or is this largely dependent on the legion?

30-40 is generally the amount of regular dudes I usually wind up with at the games I play. Taking more makes sense if you’re playing a legion that likes tac marines like World Eaters.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

120 tactical marines is less than 1500 points even if you tricked out every squad and at 3,000 points would be a completely unstoppable tidal wave of marines with plenty of points to spare.
Build the 120.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The only troops choice I don’t think is good at all is ten tacs in a rhino. Too wimpy of a selection and you’re liable to take a lot more wounds from the car blowing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Endman posted:

Contrast paints can look really good if you don't use them like a complete idiot

The Sons of Horus one is so bad.