Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

OhDearGodNo posted:

Although I am surprised this came out after the quarter end, however I'm not a financial goon.

It's going to get a boost from Christmas/Black Friday/the western worlds end of year shopping orgy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I like Blood Angels. How viable of an army would be something like the Calth box plus a storm eagle for 20 of the mareens, a Caestus for the termies and a rhino for the other 10?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Sketching together a Blood Angels list right now and here's where I'm at. Going with Furious Charge, seems fitting.

TROOPS
19x Marines, additional CCW
+ELITE Apothecarion
+FAST ATTACK Storm Eagle, multi melta+lascannons
-588pts

TROOPS
10x Marines
+Rhino
-185pts

ELITE
Contemptor, 2x Kheres assault cannons
-205pts

ELITE
5x Terminators, Cataphractii armor
+HEAVY SUPPORT Caestus Assault Ram
-480pts

TOTAL 1458

I want to start with 1850 points and it feels like I have a lot of different directions to go- I was thinking the general tactics would be to have the Contemptor handle the backfield while the Rhino squad grabs a relevant objective, and then an entire army of flying death just motherfucks whatever targets of opportunity get presented to me. To that end, I was considering just making the terminators a command squad with thunder hammers and combi-weapons alongside a Praetor with the Blood Angels artifact sword and a Primus Medicae. Adding in upgrades and such and that takes me to 1850 easy, but it feels like my main deathstar unit is a massive points sink. Is it too many eggs in a basket, or is a Caestus a tough enough basket to make it work?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

someone once posted a how to 30k as raven guard thing a while back

anyone have it?

I'm trying to figure out how to run mor deythan and failing miserably

Having them come in a darkwing duckship seems great.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Re-doing mine, going with the Onslaught force org as suggested

HQ
Praetor,
Cataphractii armor, master-crafted photonic blade
-200pts

TROOPS
19x Marines, bolt pistol+CCW, meltabombs on sergeant
+ELITE Apothecarion
+FAST ATTACK Storm Eagle, multi melta+lascannons
-565pts

TROOPS
8x Support Squad Marines, plasma
+HEAVY SUPPORT Land Raider Proteus, twin linked heavy flamer, explorator augury web
-535pts

ELITE
Contemptor, 2x Kheres assault cannons
-205pts

ELITE
5x Terminators, Cataphractii armor, Illastius-pattern assault cannon
+HEAVY SUPPORT Caestus Assault Ram
-490pts

TOTAL 1995

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

DJ Dizzy posted:

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought: 2 Kheres pattern assault cannons 180

How are you getting this? A contemptor plus two assault cannons is 205 points, right? Is there errata somewhere or is a Mortis costed differently?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Is there an actual primaris lightning model? Or just the Voss pattern one from FW?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Welp I got calth for Xmas so I guess I'm officially a ham again. Gonna wait to see the actual rules for blood/dark angels before deciding on a legion, it's either going to be them, imperial fists or Raven guard.

Either way there's gonna be flyers full of loyalists in the Seattle area by the end of the year. :unsmigghh:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Totally down but I'm not sure if I'm cool enough to flip out and smash my mans when I lose.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Oh so you're actually Horus.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Bear Throne posted:

Most every list I make has pretty much the same two Tercio's for troops. Is that reasonable? Also general list critique to see if I have a good idea of what to do and where to improve.

I'm not really sure how Solar Auxilia is meant to play, but I'd keep in mind that marine armies can be surprisingly bulky so with the number of troops you have you might not actually have the weight of numbers you need on your side. A bunch of big tanks and a lightning is definitely scary though.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Just to confirm as I laze around thinking about lists, non-compulsory Troops choices are still scoring units, right? A squad of plasma gunners won't be one of the two troops you need for your force org chart but they can still claim an objective in the game?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
yup, go hog wild.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
:krad:

As dumb as GW can be, it's always so cool to see what comes out of a lot of people's effort. That is one well-forged narrative dudes.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

DJ Dizzy posted:

I am jealous of your painting. It's very smooth and clean.

Fuckin this. I wish I was patient enough to get things looking so crisp.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Their unique units are great. Dark fury squads are cost effective for what you get, especially considering assault marines are overpriced normally- they're a very hard hitting jump pack unit. Mor Death squads are like elite recon marines and can have a nasty round of shooting. Raven Guard also get a special vehicle, the Darkwing Duckship, which is a storm eagle with lower transport capacity but is stealthy, which is really ideal for dropping said mor death squads on the flanks or on objectives.

General (Internet) consensus is that Raven Guard and Imperial Fists have the strongest legion rules at the moment.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
No spoiled rules yet though?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Please provide the nudes

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
God dammit, somehow got duped into Dark Angels after drinking with bulbasaur last night. Worked on a test model today and my body is ready for all black everything and terrible legion rules.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I hate myself enough that maybe I AM a dark angel

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Here's my scheme. Subsequent duders will be cleaner because now I ostensibly know what I'm doing. This guy will do fine dying en masse with 19 of his buddies.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Big Willy Style posted:

You need to learn to paint within the lines and thinning you paints before you try do things like edge highlighting. If you just undercoat the model black, hit it with a thinned coat of black paint so you have a nice even finish. Then focus on painting everything neatly, go back and touch up with black on any mistakes you make and you will have a much nicer miniature then what you have now. Learn to walk before you run.

As someone who has literally never painted a model before, thanks for your advice. I just tried it on a new model and I think it came out ok

Thank you so much for letting me know what techniques I'm allowed to use, I'll make sure not to try anything in the future.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Big Willy Style posted:

Sorry, this is what I should have posted:

This is great, you should enter it in golden demon you will win for sure. Mad jealous of your skills

Dude, I know my dark angel is rough. I painted it a couple different ways today before landing on colors I'm happy with, and it will look fine in a big unit on a tabletop. I get that were lovely goons to each other or whatever but you came at it with a pretty insane level of condescension. People wonder why the forums are dying etc etc.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Scowny posted:

I've got a 1000 points for Zone Mortalis that basically is the Calth box, not sure if it's any good?

I haven't played any ZM so I may be off base but I'd be a little worried about dealing with terminators or enemy dreadnoughts- it looks like you have plenty of ways to pop infantry but are a little light on dealing with the tougher stuff.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

koreban posted:

The marine looks good though. Better than the one I did, which I'm just too drat ashamed to even post.

:protarget: just do it. It's cool to see what people are working on and it's cool to have a bunch of different ideas in this thread. There's a bunch of really high quality stuff but it's totally great to see everyone's projects!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

DJ Dizzy posted:

What are the stats for a repeater?

Str 6 AP 2 salvo 2/3 twin linked gets hot. Helloooooo support squads.

Edit: so preds can't have three acid heavy bolters? Booooooo.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Lord Twisted posted:

That wargear is actually quite savage. I think DA will be made or broken as a Legion by their RoW and unique units really.

The D3 victory points drawback is really, really rough and kind of forces you to spam a lot of units. That being said, with the ironwing ROW stock marines get a pretty huge edge against other stock marines in both CC and shooting which can be really massive and they get access to some really nasty anti infantry weapons between the plasma and the heavy bolters. I don't think they're necessarily the worst or whatever but they're certainly not the top of the heap.

Also I think it's pretty funny that the little teaser for the DA was "combined arms!" and the two ROWs are BIKES and TANKS respectively.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I've been doodling a 2500 point Ironwing list and I'm pretty sure this is the base:

5 terminators with a paragon blade praetor in a Spartan.

2 units of 10 marines with bolters/combat blades and an artificer armored sarge with a calibinite blade in Rhinos

8 plasma support marines in a Proteus

A Contemptor Mortis with assault cannons

6 dickbikes with acid bolters

3 Predators, likely with predator cannons and lascannon sponsons

The RoW seems pretty awesome here- BS5 on the preds, tank hunters on the Mortis and not needing dozer blades on all the tanks. There's a lot of flexibility on upgrades and I'm not sure where to focus because of it. I've been considering ceramite and flare shields on the Spartan and the land raider, or maybe trying to squeeze in a Primus Medicae for the terminators. I'm also kind of torn between plasma rifles and repeaters for the support squad. There's a really impressive amount of firepower but it also maybe feels that my 4 small scoring units is dangerous even with all the armor.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

For the plasma support squad I would consider a drop pod pod or flier with less bodies. The proteus costs more and while its more durable, it's easier to avoid. If you single out a target on turn 1 or two and drop near it, blast it with 21 twin linked plasma shots with shred... well... its gonna have a bad day. Just 5 dudes will kill 6.5 terminators or delete 13 MEQ. 7 will kill about 9 or 18 MEQ. Even most primarchs are gonna be dead meat. It ain't cheap, but if you get it where you want it its gone.

Sulecrist posted:

I'm a fan of the scouting-support-squad-in-Proteus idea (I was the guy Safety_Factor mentioned who recommended one) and while I think Bulbasaur's point re drop pods is certainly valid, I think it's also influenced by his extensive 30k-in-40k experience. On paper at least, I think Land Raiders have a lot more value, and Outflanking has a lot more value, when the only opponents are 30k. Also, Outflanking, you can use the bulk of the Land Raider to protect your very expensive squad and make wiping them out, while always achievable, a real pain in the rear end. I will say that if you have the slot, I think trading a 30-to-40-point plasma gun guy for a 55-to-70-point Apothecary is a real force multiplier when you've got the Land Raider to limit exposure to poo poo like Typhons.

Edit: With Repeaters, you're not going to get their maximum value until the turn after you deploy them, because of Salvo--6" and two shots on the turn they arrive instead of 12" and 3. The squad will die quickly either way, but if you don't think you can keep them functional past their arrival turn and you really are just using them as a single turn suicide squad , skip repeaters.

I think I'm gonna leave them in the land raider, mostly because they're going to need to grab objectives pretty often and I feel like I need to give them a good shot at survivability- I figure they're a huge magnet for fire but I can't afford to play with them as a suicide squad since so many of my points have to get committed to tanks. Definitely rifles over repeaters though.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Outside the Calth box all 30k is FW models. If you are not interested in Giving GW Money there are a number of reliable recasters that will happily make you your tanks and robits and fighter planes at a substantial discount off of list. For the more reputable route, the Calth box is a big step towards 2k points if you use the Pride of the Legion RoW and model the marines as veterans- you can then pick up a tank or a flyer or something and be well along to 2k.

Additionally, eBay has the Calth stuff parted out for pretty cheap, so getting additional termies and contemptors isn't too painful and also lets you scale up nicely.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Getting a decent weapon you can't actually use is Dark Angels as gently caress.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I dunno, a storm eagle/Caestus full of veterans/termies and characters is definitely A Thing. The fact that acid jetbikes are so good actually has really warmed me up to the ravenwing ROW. I think the DA got a little boned on their special rules, have a lot of potential with their wargear (stasis shells are eh, plasma repeaters are situational but potentially very scary, acid and calibinite swords are awesome) and get two ROWs that at least seem workable. It's also kind of cool they can go in totally different directions as an army.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
It's worth noting that DA terminator command squads can have Calibanite swords on everybody. I think with them I'd go with combi-weapons on everyone and then hide 2-3 power/chainfists in the squad. With regular termies, all powerfists and combi-weapons.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

I love close games and I haven't really played a blow out quite yet.

*outnumbers dark angels at the end of the game*

*rolls 3 extra VPs*

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
If you give a lightning rad missiles can it still shoot the other types or do they replace the missile launcher entirely? The way it's worded in the book kinda seems like you could interpret it either way.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I fully intend to take maxed out units of jetbikes and roll each gun individually.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I'm glad FW understands a fundamental desire of their player base is to roll as many dice as possible while arguing about how many dice to roll.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

That's exactly it. DA are probably one of the coolest loyalist legions because of all that backstory.

Most legions have a mirror. DA are kinda like the loyalist Alpha Legion.

I always thought of them as loyalist Sons of Horus, mostly since the Lion was first runner up for who got the Warmaster job. However, both legions have a combined arms style that favors pragmatism over sticking to a set style of fighting, both loooove their vets and terminators, and they have a nice contrast where the Sons tended to have good relationships with all the other legions (even the ones everyone else hated) while the DA always wanted to be off doing their own thing.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I doodled a couple lists with that RoW and I think the key things that made it come together were troops always in Rhinos and a squadron of 3 Predators (usually near-naked, sometimes with las sponsons) to open up other choices. The Dread bonus is pretty great, so taking any flavor is gonna be fine as some of your non-tank slots and honor guard/vets/terminators in a Spartan is not bad. But mostly you want to spam dudes in transports and the cheap squadron armor on the list as your core. The bonuses really reward volume, so it seems like it's best to just keep units cheap and have as many as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I really like those bases, how'd you make them?