Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ramc posted:

A repaste of our team for the 0.17 tourney:

Also Captain Monkey/friendlybee, did you add me as your captain yet?

Thought I had, I'll double check soon to make sure. It may have gotten overwritten or I may have typo'd. Don't worry, I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ramc posted:

A repaste of our team for the 0.17 tourney:

Also Captain Monkey/friendlybee, did you add me as your captain yet?

Just fixed this, let me know if it still didn't work. It takes a little to update.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/friendlybee/friendlybee.txt

See also:

quote:

+0 cloak of Indecent Exposure {rC+ Str+7} (curse)

I found a trenchcoat guys!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Make them fairly unremarkable enemies for the most part, but if they're hit with fire damage, they loudly explode into a large group of (extremely fire-resistant) Death Popcorn monsters that are fast but much more fragile and hit moderately hard. Watch people freeze and slowly back away when they encounter an OoF and a Death Cob in the same room :unsmigghh:

This is actually an amazing idea. Every time they are hit by fire, or potentially near a fire source (if that's trackable?) they spawn literal popcorn enemies off of them, kinda like reverse slime creature.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Equal rights to all members of the pantheon of Crawl!

Dissolution should be able to set up worship service in the Temple if he so chooses!
Lugonu shouldn't have to Corrupt Level in order to secure worshippers from outside the Abyss!
Beogh should stop being so drat racist!
Demigods should be able to set up their own worship traditions and convince the denizens of the Dungeon to serve him/her/it in exchange for their continued existence!

Y...yeah?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Your loss! Except for the Beogh thing, it would only add more potential diversity and interesting shifts to the game having atypical gods more represented. And the Demigod thing is an idea that's been thrown around a few times that always sounded neat, but a straight up nightmare to code/balance.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

A big part of Jiyva (and, to a lesser extent, Lugonu) is that they're rare gods - appearing much later in the game than other gods, and, in 3-rune games, perhaps not at all. Joining a god late, or gambling on joining one in the abyss to get out (which I have actually done!), is very different from the usual D-2:7 worship. That's something J and L encourage (L perhaps better than J, probably), and that's fun.

Agreed! Fortunately for my position, giving people the choice to join them earlier doesn't affect that in any meaningful way, it only adds options, it doesn't remove them. Lucy's altars should still appear in the abyss for a late game change, and Jiyva appearing earlier still leaves it as a viable late game switch. Much like Zin is currently for a lot of people, or TSO is for various characters.

PleasingFungus posted:

My feeling on demigods is that a worshipers system could be fun, somewhere or in some context, but that demigods don't particularly need changing; they're quite fun as is. The elegance of their design is very nice, and it'd be a pity to lose that!

It sure would be a pity to replace a race with such an elegant and unable-to-be-copied-for-reasons(?) design as 'decent aptitudes, good stats, no religion' with something that you described as potentially fun. Yep. :rolleyes:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Luceid posted:

there is elegance in simplicity, and people like a challenge race. there is no need to be upset, gamer

I appreciate the idea behind a challenge race, I just also like fun. Also, very much not upset, that's just a really lazy way to try to attack a person's position without anything real to add.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

megane posted:

How about this: current demigods are fun, specifically because not having a god brings about challenges no other species faces; tacking on some overly-complex system that's pretty much just a special religion with a weird name is unlikely to improve them. Especially if the only reason given for that system is their name.

That's a really good reply. I still think it'd be fun, though.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

demigods are not a challenge race

demogods are a challenge race

look, unfounded opinions without facts to back them up, hooray.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Can Of Worms posted:

So after reading about the changes that the Circus Animal branch does to DCSS I decided to fire up a game because holy poo poo look at this laundry list of ridiculousness:

• Halflings get Wild Magic at XL 8, 16 and 24
  • Halflings get +2 Conj
  • Halflings get 12 MR per XL
  • All spellpower caps are maxed at 200

This is absolutely bonkers.

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup: Circus Animals version v1.0.0-244-g33d0e37 (webtiles) character file.

wormsofcant the Devastator (Halfling Conjurer)     Turns: 27961, Time: 02:05:09

Health: 151/151    AC: 22    Str:  9    XL:     23   Next: 19%
Magic:  58/58      EV: 17    Int: 37    God:    Sif Muna [******]
Gold:   364        SH:  8    Dex: 22    Spells: 11 memorised, 8 levels left

rFire  + . .      SeeInvis +    a - +3 dagger "Giantbane" {flame, rC+ Int+7}
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    j - +0 scale mail "Poidd" {rF+ rN+ Dex+7 Stlth-}
rNeg   + . .      Faith    .    d - +0 buckler
rPois  +          Spirit   .    w - +2 helmet
rElec  .          Dismiss  .    m - +2 cloak of the Thief {+Fog Slay-2 SInv Stlth+}
rCorr  .          Reflect  .    v - +4 pair of gloves of Ywnaj {MR+ SInv}
rMut   +          Harm     .    y - +0 pair of boots
SustAt .                        o - amulet of magic regeneration
MR     +++++                    c - ring of magical power
Stlth  ++++......               F - ring of the City {*Contam rPois Int+10 Dex-3 Slay+2}

You have 8 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Magic Dart            Conj           #######...   0%          1    None
b - Iskenderun's Battles  Conj/Chrm      ######....   4%          5    None
c - Confuse               Hex            #####.....   4%          3    None
d - Iskenderun's Mystic   Conj           #######...   1%          4    None
e - Tukima's Dance        Hex            #####.....   4%          3    None
f - Fulminant Prism       Conj/Hex       ######....   4%          4    None
g - Stone Arrow           Conj/Erth      ######....   1%          3    None
h - Bolt of Magma         Conj/Fire/Erth #####.....   21%         5    None
i - Dazzling Spray        Conj/Hex       ######....   1%          3    None
j - Searing Ray           Conj           #######...   0%          2    None
A - Regeneration          Chrm/Necr      #####.....   4%          3    None
Note that the # indicator seems to be different, I think it's actually linear so I probably do have 140 spellpower (~1d30 damage) Magic Dart. :eyepop: Also with two rings of magical power and a staff of power I can get 102 MP.

Whoa, crawl for people who realize single player games don't need to be perfectly balanced?!?! Changes that aren't just 'subtracted 1 from vampire's necromancy, the xp curve was too different than before after rebalancing.'?

It's like someone added the words 'fun' and 'interesting' to a crawl dev's dictionary when he wasn't looking!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

Yes.

So this isn't purely a he-said she-said thing, here's some month-by-month deathrates for people entering shoals:

So, a single datapoint proves things now? I don't think that's how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

A single datapoint aggregated from games played over a month. Would you have preferred it separated out by weeks? Then you would have four datapoints to condescendingly dismiss.

You're right! That's not very significant either! :smugdog:

• Locked thread