Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

What is Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup?
Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup is a popular, free roguelike game focusing on tactics, balance, variety and a lasting challenge. A roguelike is generally a turn-based RPG, with an emphasis on randomly generated worlds, a high depth of play, huge menageries of monsters, and some MacGuffin you have to dig up and escape with. Most roguelikes use ASCII characters for graphics, though an increasing number utilize graphical tiles, like Crawl. Roguelikes are usually very tough to beat, and death is often permanent: once you're dead, you're dead.

Crawl is unique in its design philosophy, with a focus on eliminating a lot of the annoyances of the genre, while focusing on the strengths.

Major design goals:
  • challenging and unpredictable gameplay, with an emphasis on tactical skill
  • meaningful decisions (no no-brainer, works-every-time-with-every-character play choices)
  • grinding should be unnecessary, even discouraged
  • a simplified and elegant interface, with a helpful tutorial and mouse support for new players
Minor design goals:
  • clarity of design (playable without the need for external spoilers)
  • thematic consistency (no lightsaber-wielding orcs)
  • replayability and lasting challenge (with optional branches, multiple race/background/god choices, and optional challenges)
  • proper use of out-of-depth monsters
This culminates in an accessible roguelike with a compelling play experience, with tough but fair challenges, and the tools to win under your own steam. When you do die (and you will), the cause is usually clear (if not completely preventable), as well as how you can overcome it the next time around.

What's new in 0.17?
  • The fake circle line of sight is gone, replaced by a square one. Diagonals and adjacent are now actually interchangeable.
  • Introducing juggernauts, the Depths enemy that will hit you for 80 damage when you're sure you're safe with 79 HP.
  • Death cobs have been buffed... a lot.
  • Gozag has been quite improved, especially since he summons shops at your feet now.
  • Shadow traps are gone.
  • Instead, orange crystal statues cast shadow creatures.
  • New randart properties like *Corrode or *Drain to annoy you!
  • Controlled teleport is a thing of the past.
  • Many miscellaneous improvements in things like eating and autopickup stacks, new vaults, new unrands...

Screenshots!
from 0.16 but the main visible difference is square LoS so I'm being lazy.
WebTiles (on CSZO):

ASCII (again on CSZO):

How do I play Crawl?
You can download the offline builds here. The offline versions of Crawl are available in ASCII and graphical tiles formats for Windows, Mac OS X, Debian/Ubuntu, and an Android Tiles port. The development builds (Android port is located here) can also be downloaded which allow you to play the most recent experimental beta releases and test out the new additions being considered for the next stable release.

However, one of Crawl's biggest selling points is the ability to play online through various methods - read on!

Why and how to play online
If you use either an SSH client or the WebTiles interface, you can connect to one of the Crawl servers and play along with dozens of other people, or watch those who are playing. Here are some of the perks of online play:
  • People can spectate as you play, and with WebTiles' integrated chat window, spectators can now talk amongst themselves as well as with the game player
  • Your game saves and play statistics are tracked centrally and are available from any computer
  • Every game you play is recorded by the server, and can be replayed in whole or in part, or otherwise examined for later analysis, bragging, and mockery
  • You get to meet and fight the ghosts of other players, rather than just your own
  • You can play in the annual and version-release tournaments
Purists can play or spectate via console (see sections 'The Servers' and 'The Software'), while for those who like the graphical interface, various servers offer WebTiles functionality - a web interface which mimicks the offline Tiles build, and even has an integrated chat window for the player and spectators to talk in.

Places to play Crawl online
CAO: crawl.akrasiac.org - long-serving Crawl server located in Tucson, Arizona. Offers console and WebTiles. The website which tracks player wins and statistics is now back online at crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring
CBRO: crawl.berotato.org - Georgia-based server, supports WebTiles. Very notable for hosting interesting experimental branches; currently including five possible races, two new gods, and the mostly-joking nostalgia branch that brings back many things that should never have been brought back.
CDO: crawl.develz.org - Germany-based server for the Europeans among us, supports console only.
CKR: kr.dobrazupa.org Korea-based server. Webtiles-only.
CUE: European (German) server - Formerly CLAN. Maintained by goon TZer0. (Give him props, he rules.)
CSZO: crawl.s-z.org - Pennsylvania-based server, supports console and WebTiles as well as cross-interface spectating and chat. The most popular server among online players at present.
There are more; if none of these suit you, check the full list here.

If you play online, you can see information about your games at http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/<yourname>.html - e.g. http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/zermako.html . It's neat!

This game is very hard. Where can I get help?
In keeping with roguelike tradition, Crawl is indeed an excruciatingly difficult game at times. Fortunately, there are many resources available to assist you (some considerably more reliable than others!):

First of all, there's the in-game help, accessible with "?", or for individual enemies or items by pressing x, moving the cursor over whatever, then pressing v.
CrawlWiki - community-maintained wiki with lots of useful tables and explanations. Often out of date, sometimes badly so, but with that caveat a great resource. Just be aware of the version notes for any article.
##crawl - the official Dungeon Crawl IRC channel. Has a pair of bots (Sequell and Cheiabrios) that can be queried for up-to-date info on monsters & other crawl info.
##gooncrawl - the SA Crawl IRC channel.
LearnDB - a searchable repository of Crawl lore. Almost always up to date & accurate, but sometimes its terseness and in-jokes do it no favors.
The Tavern - the official Dungeon Crawl forum.

Beyond learning the basic mechanics of the game, probably the best way to improve is to talk about and play the game online. Online play allows other people to give you pointers on mistakes you may be making without realising, and there are usually friendly goons around in IRC who will be happy to advise you.

Threads from previous versions

Crawl 0.16: Ru asks you to sacrifice your free time! This is a trivial butt
Crawl 0.15: Terrifying, Ever-Gnashing Radulae
Crawl 0.14: You feel energized by your suffering!
Crawl 0.13: FoIE GrAs: You are engorged.
Crawl 0.12 Erolcha banished me and gave me apocalypse crabs
Crawl 0.11 Eight legs and it's not an Octopode: Welcome to Spider
Crawl 0.10: Your tentacles turn into razor-sharp scythe blades
Crawl 0.9: A meow rips itself from your throat
Crawl 0.8: Mennas II Society
Crawl 0.7: The Dying Game
Crawl 0.6: Slouching towards The Abyss
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.5.0: Now with less Oklob!
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.4.0
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.3.0

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Internet Kraken posted:

Yep. Its just square LOS, removal of stuff for no reason, and a bunch of pain. Also some more under the hood changes. Did that webtiles fix end up in this version?

Yup, sure did!

Zaodai posted:

The "Whats new in .17?" section really comes across as "Prepare your anus!". I take it there isn't a new race or class this time, it's all just new ways to crush you plus square LOS?

Kind of fair.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I'll edit the wording on the wiki, sure. I've pretty much kept it as-is just because of the age of many articles; stuff changes enough that a sufficiently out-of-date entry can be misleading. Y'all are right enough that it's nowhere near as inaccurate as it once was, though.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Hello, I am ZeeToo. I am an orb of fire hunter.

And good thing, too, because there were at least nine in my game. :stonk: I didn't stick around Z5 to see if there were any in the other lung.

That was one of the nastiest Zot 5s I've ever seen. Several ancient liches, a ton of orbs of fire... good thing I had FDA, hat of the alchemist, vinestalker quickblade biting and an arbalest with silver bolts and portal projectile. It didn't help that when I picked up the orb, two Pan lords spawned before I could even get out of the lungs.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I know the tournament is still ongoing, but you'll probably want to update to Trunk, now, since monster rod power doesn't depend on their shield any longer in Trunk.

Not sure if I can agree with the comment on this commit, though.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Matty posted:

I'm playing offline, should i keep playing 0.16 or try 0.17? 0.17 is basically a few nerfs and minor changes right?

The newest version is probably always going to be the one I'd suggest. It's not always the really obvious things in the change log that come up with that, it's the little quality of life things.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

apple posted:

Yeah, I was deinitely hoping for an early statue form book, I guess I should look into more low level defensive skills.

On a related note, I figured I should eat the purple:

:fuckoff:

A frail felid. :allears: So do you even have double-digit HP?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Shinino Kage posted:

Had my best game EVAR last night. 2 runes in, cleared a ton of areas. Got into Depths and the overall lack of healing I experienced all game + losing my healing mutation finally caught up with me, and I ate a fireball (even with MR+++) to explodey.

Just so you know, MR is your chance to resist spells that indirectly hurt you with status effects (confuse, paralyze, sentinel's mark, slow...), but does nothing on direct damage, with the logic you're not resisting magic any more. Now you're dealing with a big honkin' ball of fire, even if it was created by magic.

You need resistance to fire (rF+) to cut that type of damage. Same with ice, electricity, and negative energy.

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 20, 2015

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Some other changes from tournament start to now:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Beyond the Ziggurat adjustments, extra changes for the holiday!

• Xom's Chessboard. I think this is a box-of-beasts-alike, spitting up chess pieces. Fail your evo check, get a bad Xom action (unless you're a Xomite). Also Xom eventually takes his toybox back. Double-check to be sure I'm reading this right.
  • The armor of Talos. Unrand +12 plate with rF+ and Ponderous. Sized for ogres and trolls.
  • Frostbite, the Noisy +8 Executioner's Axe of Freezing that drops freezing cloud on things you hit sometimes.
  • Autopickup improvement for making it easier to pick up steel bolts and not poisoned bolts or the like.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Internet Kraken posted:

So if the faded altar does spawn in your game, does it always spawn in the temple or can it spawn anywhere from D:2 too D:11 like other altars?

This is my first hint it could spawn in Temple. :shobon:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Scaramouche posted:

EDIT-Holy poo poo this thing is frickin awesome I'm spurtin flames all over the place here got up to a zig 20 with this and having 25 Invo for Zin's recite.

Rod of Ignition is my favorite to use.

You have discovered why.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I'm usually a bit more on the accepting side (juggernauts, shrikes and new death cobs: largely cool; *negative randart things tolerable to interesting), but this amulet thing is bizarre. Mutation is a nasty thing that can sometimes severely gently caress a character up in a fashion that doesn't go away with more XP gained. And... it's instant. Any time a mutator has a line of effect to you, you have a non-negligible chance of a mutation. Unless mutators are going to see Malmutate resisted by MR or mutate get a "chant word of entropy" sort of change, that's just plain a "gently caress you". Even the most up-hasted firestorming deep elf of Vehumet can't be sure he's going to one-shot all cacodemons, especially if two appear from different directions. And orbs of fire... well, at least orbs of fire don't dig their own holes to get you out of your line-of-effect-breaking corridor.

Dismissal... I can't ever see myself wearing that. I'm not opposed to it existing, but the amount of time I'd want it to wear is... roughly until another amulet drops. Well, some of the time. Some games I just plain wouldn't want it, but for a melee character in Lair it could help with scattering elephant/death yak packs and providing another hydra option if I'm missing the other standbys. Except swapping it gives contamination to the point of mutation. :confused: Are there too few calls on cancellation potions? It's getting to feel like cancellation should rival curing for its spawn rate. I rarely wore Warding, but I can only see Dismissal as a strict decrease in utility; apart from the above singular example, I can't think of a time I'd wear dismissal over warding, if both were somehow available. And that's with the contam from swapping completely forgotten for now.

Regen rots. Well. It's still my go-to for most situations, especially without warding or rMut, so... thanks for making that an easier choice? If I had a choice of the normal amulet types, regen was already always my standby unless clarity or rMut were situationally called for. The gently caress would I take it off for now? Baffling.

I'd like to hear more about this amulet change, but only out of optimism. Because, so far, it's a weird choking-off of options and I'd be interested in at least hearing what the proposed improvements are. Because... this is supposed to be foundational to set up some improvements, right? Otherwise, it's just "pick your amulet and don't change it basically ever, and for 90% of players the pick is clarity or regen".

We already have equipment you don't switch in combat; it's called your 'armour'. And it generally doesn't mutate or rot you to change it, just takes too much time to change for tactical considerations.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I like most of the new amulet suggestions there, but wow the swapping is... not good. I hope that gets addressed sooner rather than later.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Spriggan Rider tile updated to reflect their change of mount.
New randart property, Fragile, where it's destroyed on unequip. I like this one! Would be even more interesting if tweaked or given levels so it could be unequipped x times or is destroyed x% of the time or both.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Meet Doom Hounds, a Tartarus enemy that howls to create more doom hounds just outside of LoS. Hope you can make the MR check, or you'll be buried in infinite dogs!

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Shinino Kage posted:

Made a DDFi and went, I'll go Axes! Then realized that I should have gone maces for the +7 rod I got from god. :D

Why the hell would you use a rod to hit enemies with?

apple posted:

FR: Ufetubi tiles should be replaced by some kind of cute demonic puppy tile

The existing "fat demon pigeon with no wings" look is already good.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

PleasingFungus posted:

There's no MR check. Embrace infinity dog.

I am bad at reading Crawlcode. :saddowns:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Both of the amulet changes are excellent. I'm glad to see that. The dismissal one is clever and I can start to see where I'd go "gosh, I should put on dismissal" now.

We still need an rMut follow-up of some sort, but that aside I'm on board with this direction.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Darox posted:

E: I also found the Talos fixedart and I'm not sure why it exists. Plate armour that can only be used by Trolls/Ogres except it's ponderous and doesn't even have a great +, so you'd never take it over dragon armour. Does it have some obscure special effect or is it just garbage?

No, it seems pretty bad. Apart from wearing it before you skin your dragon-of-choice or I suppose a hypothetical chei ogre, it's not going to see much play.

Doesn't mean it needs to go or anything, just there's a really narrow band where it's valuable.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Internet Kraken posted:

Poison arrow is a strong spell but there are lots of strong single target spells. Plus even if you want to use it you can do so with a conjurations focused build. The question I ask myself when it comes to poison magic is "why would I ever use this?". I can't think of a good answer.

My answer might be "it basically gets you a free rune if you get Spider". Poison magic absolutely wrecks a majority of Spider's threats, it's cheaper and easier to get some of that skill than hugely buff up something else, and that gives me more time/xp to grab something else.

Unimpressed posted:

Is it worth skilling up armour as a caster?

Barring something like a robe of the archmagi, yes. I hate wearing anything much lighter than ring without a really compelling reason. I mean, you can. Plenty do. I just like having some sturdiness, and make it a priority.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Some changes, mostly focusing on the "Elves and orcs" stuff.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Tollymain posted:

i wonder why orc got shortened to 2 levels instead of 3? 3 levels feels better numerically :spergin:

I believe the eventual goal is to make Orc and Elf a single branch.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Dee Ehm posted:

... why?

Not sure. When I went looking for sources, I couldn't find what I was thinking I'd seen, so maybe I'm just going crazy.

This sort of has something mentioned, in that grunt is working on "orcs and elves", but that could mean working on both orc revisions and elf revisions instead of "Orcelvish Malls".

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Trip report on newish Orc and Elf: kind of strange to play. My O:1 was three separate, unconnected zones with one down stair each, so there was literally just one route down to the ending floor. The end vault was, at least, nowhere near the up stairs, but I could see a layout here where you just have one stair down that places you in front of the end vault and thus go straight to dealing with high priests or centaurs almost instantly. The loss of plain orcs isn't very important, though; the bands with higher-tier orcs keep them around. You just have less "okay, hold down tab for a bit to clean up". I deliberately did Orc kind of early, before Lair, and didn't feel overwhelmed. On the other hand, I was playing a minotaur gladiator because I wanted to get there with a minimum of fuss.

Elf, on the other hand, is very scary now. Or at least mine was. On the first floor I ran into both a deep elf demonologist and a deep elf sorcerer. Also some nasty dancing weapons. Everything else has been sort of colored by the fact that Elf (which I haven't completely cleared yet) has had Agnes, Azrael, Roka, Donald, Asterion, Wiglaf... I'm probably forgetting someone. Even if I try to set them aside, the fact that you can just turn a corner and have a decent chance of running into the sort of thing that used to be hall of blades exclusive is rough.

Also of note in Elf was a jumping spider shaped shifter that stepped on a zot trap the instant it came into view and Abyssed me, but that took less than 20 turns for me to reach an exit and isn't really Elf-centric.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
So. I may have accidentally left Arachne the Juggernaut on Spider Nest: 4. :saddowns: Polymorph is great except when it really isn't.

e: killed her with a sack of spiders

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 13, 2015

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Also on that same Elf 3: Jorgrun. Hi, Jorgrun.

I've also found an amulet of reflection, and the "variable" part is clear now. It's like a ring of evasion; it comes at +whatever strength. Turns out an amulet of reflection +3 is pretty weak by itself, since SH of 3 doesn't catch much, but I could see combining it with a real source of SH to stack your brands. The shield of resistance with an amulet of reflection would cover quite a lot.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
It's probably a sub-optimal choice to run with.

But, let's be honest. Do you want to make the smart choice, or do you want to be a horror movie monster? You're talking a willowy elf with an eerily brittle axe and spooky stealth (Dex+7, Stealth+). Embrace it, chop everything, vow to get those meddling kids (spiny toads, hydras, whatever) in the sequel.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

PleasingFungus posted:

You're going crazy, sorry.

Oh, good, it's a relief to get independent confirmation. :v:

I am Otis posted:

edit: I prefer hybrid characters, but I assume w Pak's mana regen quirk I shouldn't bank on anything past support spells. I love vinestalkers, I haven't searched for info regarding Vs bite and Pak.

anybody know?

I don't, but I'd be really interested in someone sharing and finding out. Don't demonspawn have a possible mutation that affects mana regen, too? Curious on that one as well.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Mr. Lobe posted:

Hey I haven't played Crawl in like a year, what's this about popcorn enemies no longer being popcorn?

I actually intended it to be "Corn enemies no longer popcorn", but I got this instead and decided to pretend it was intentional instead of PMing a mod to ask them to fix it.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Christ, gently caress centaurs. Every single time I've come across one it's been an instant game over. None of my consumables helped, plus it was way faster than me, and on top of that it does like a fifth of my hp with every arrow even with the awesome +2 dagger of protection I found. It's happened to 4 different characters, none of them could outrun the centaur to the stairs in time even if I managed to drop a conjured flame behind me and get around a corner, it just kept pursuing.

How do you get out of a situation like that? Is there some little ai quirk or something I can take advantage of?

Other people have hinted at this but didn't say it explicitly: centaurs don't shoot you when you're adjacent. If you just stand next to them, their danger level drops a lot.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Dirk the Average posted:

Please tell me it's someone who just wrote a lovely bot to alternate tab and autoexplore and set it to run ten thousand times until it won.

Nope. I think at least two people were doing it. I spectated a while on Implojin's game of this, where he said he came back to Crawl for the challenge. :shrug:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Gozag confirmed to be secretly universal Beogh.

Went down next level and a death cob joined. Yred, too, I guess.

e: going into Zot 5, it had increased to three tentacled monstrosities, a knight, a zealot, and three more normal draconians.

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 20, 2015

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Arivia posted:

Does anyone have a guide or FAQ or something to playing a caster in Crawl? They seem cool, but I have no idea how any of the systems work, from memorizing spells to spell hunger to skilling and so on.

Probably the easiest way is to either spectate someone who's running some low-level characters or play on webtiles and post a link here asking for spectators/help. I find it's kind of a "what it feels like" thing.

To be more specific: you get spell slots from both character levels and I think every half a rank in Spellcasting, and those spell slots are exchanged one-for-one to learn a spell of level x. So it takes three slots to learn a level 3 spell, and nine to learn something like Firestorm. You also can't learn a spell higher than your character level, but this is only really relevant for the first three or so levels.

Spell hunger is... largely not that relevant. You just have to eat more often if you're casting spells. Food is more a tactical consideration (can't cast if you're Starving!) than strategic unless you can't eat chunks, you super-neglect Spellcasting, or something weird is going on (way less rations than average this game, sort of thing). If you want/need to mitigate it, intelligence and your Spellcasting skill negate it. Just don't spam spells that have maxed out casting costs. If your permafood supply is trending negative, fix it then.

Skilling works thusly: if you need a spell or spells to be better, you train the relevant spell school(s) more. That's it. Just keep an eye on your miscast chance and color. Spellcasting itself does a little something for spells, but the individual schools always do more.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Deep Elf High Priests get a new spell, that makes their allies cast stronger spells and more often.

Should be interesting to see how this interacts with stuff like Banish.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Merry Christmas commits! :siren:

• Neqoadfioenroas have had their spawn rates slashed, because of their non-presence beyond mutation.
  • Potions of cure mutation are vastly more common, to make up for the lack of resist mutation amulets... though I'm sure you'll be devastated to know that degeneration potions have been made rarer to make up for it.
  • It's Christmas! Cocytus has been properly identified as the North Pole. Play a Skald, sing your Sleighing Song. Elves and Antaeus have their festive hats. Get insulted by something calling you "naughty" or accusing you of being "present-wrapping".

This is notably missing the necessary Lair spawns of reindeer and red-nosed reindeer. :mad:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Doom hound change. They now only howl once, and what they summon never includes doom hounds

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Only doom hounds are readying themselves to howl now.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Unimpressed posted:

Question for you experts, which of these weapons should my MiFi^Oka shield bearer be wielding? If you can tell me why that would be even better. Cheers and merry christmas.

code:
 y - the +2 scimitar "Gileu" (weapon) {venom, +Rage +Fly Str+2 Dex+6}
   (You found it in an ice cave)   

It poisons the flesh of those it strikes.

It affects your strength (+2).
   It affects your dexterity (+6).
   It lets you fly.
   It lets you go berserk.
 J - the +3 scimitar "Wixkawne" {antimagic, Int+2 Dex+2}
   (Okawaru gifted it to you on level 6 of the Lair of Beasts)   

It disrupts the flow of magical energy around spellcasters and certain
   magical creatures (including the wielder).

It affects your intelligence (+2).
   It affects your dexterity (+2).
 N - a +3 vampiric scimitar
 Z - a +5 falchion of protection

You can erase the falchion from consideration right now. It's too weak a base type. Scimitar is much better. Where are you at present? If you still have spider to go, the venom scimitar will chew through a lot of it, since many of the enemies there are vulnerable to poison. After that, I'd probably take the antimagic scimitar for the rest of the normal three-rune game. Vampiric is a very strong brand, and it's on a decent enough weapon.

Eventually the floor, an enemy, or Okawaru will give you a demon blade or double sword, though, and those are even better yet, and if they're not vampiric you might hold onto the antimagic scimitar as a swap for things like high-tier deep elves and liches. I'd probably swap if one came available, but a +9 vampiric scimitar could certainly take you to a win on its lonesome if you want to commit your enchant weapon scrolls to it and keep at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Christmas is also over.

• Locked thread