Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The "Whats new in .17?" section really comes across as "Prepare your anus!". I take it there isn't a new race or class this time, it's all just new ways to crush you plus square LOS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

cheetah7071 posted:

FR: A unique named the King Crab, who is a disciple of Qazlal and wears the +0 Crab Crown {rCloud}

FR: Replace King Crab with with Iron Chef, who boasts about having stolen the Crab Crown and then cooked the King Crab in his own clouds. Also, increases the amount if big Iron monsters in the dungeon, making things even more balanced.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

apple posted:

Why not just create your account on every crawl server? It's not foolproof but short of your password being figured out or a new server popping up you should be safe.

That is a lot of extra effort for people to just not get hosed over. Especially because it then means you've gotta be aware of every new server that opens, as it opens. If that is the solution, then they might as well just centralize logins somewhere rather than putting that onus on the player. Otherwise, there needs to be oversight for when these situations arise if there is no way to handle it on the code end of things (which is honestly more likely a logistics and money issue than a true programming issue).

If you can track all those servers for the purposes of streak breaking, you can implement some system to keep people getting screwed by trolls. Admittedly, this puts people on the honor system that they won't play on a bunch of different servers one time each in an effort to keep the streak going and then disavow any servers where their account loses, but they can only do that once anyway and seem far less likely than someone creating an account and quitting a game 2 seconds in just to screw someone.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

apple posted:

I know it sucks, but that's what I would do if I cared about streaks :v:

I do hope they work on a better login system.

I would probably do that to if I played online, were good at crawl, and cared about streaks. Regardless, it should be regarded, at best, as a temporary workaround. It is not a solution in any sense.

If they're working on a better system to resolve it, then great. I know the last time it happened they worked with people to get it straightened out (even if it took awhile). Maybe they'll still do so.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Wouldn't it just get removed immediately anyway? I remember seeing someone say they removed the Halloween stuff because it made crawl different sometimes.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Pakellas sounds super cool. I can't wait to splat dozens of Ogre Batmans in the 0.18 tourney :allears:

Just remember, Ogre Batman would never use a Shotgun rod. :colbert:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Floodkiller posted:

If Batman would use a shotgun on owls, Ogre Batman would use a shotgun on caustic shrikes :colbert:

And probably get his poo poo wrecked just the same. C'mon Batman, you can aim better than that!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

There should be only one amulet, it should start equipped automatically on all characters as soon as you enter the dungeon. It should be unremovable by any means and start a timer where it slowly strangles you to death, periodically lowering your maximum HP until you die.

This will discourage use of carrying around things to use in the future, and encourage you to use them immediately because otherwise you're going to loving die, son. Think tactically about how hosed you are, it's important so you play things the right way.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Someone Awful! posted:

Also make sure there is only one 'right' way, and nerf any tactics that lead to deviance from this. :v:

The right way is my way, and the rest of you assholes playing your single player game wrong is why we have to make these changes. You're the ones ruining crawl, not me!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Haifisch posted:

And watch it get handwaved away as whining instead of calling out legitimately bad changes.

In all seriousness, I honestly can't wait to see how it gets justified as not being retarded. The insane explanations are always my favorite part.

Every commit should just be "WHY YOU GOTTA MAKE ME HIT YOU? YOU THINK I LIKE DOING THIS?!"

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Internet Kraken posted:

I like how the commit says warding was the least interesting amulet. Rather than gourmand, which gives the exciting effect of EAT MORE FOOD.

Just wait until his food overhaul, then you'll see. Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, motherfucker.

[EDIT] And then I remembered Death Cobs and was sad.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

In my head, all I can see is SWAT team clearing a room with a flashbang assisted entry, and Lasty appearing out of nowhere, knee-capping the cop and shouting "TACTICS NOT TOYS!" and running off like a lunatic. I don't get how having less options is more tactical, at all.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The Mattybee posted:

Stairdancing/pressing 5: INTERESTING PLAY

Tactical Espionage Action.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Crawl Dev is a bit like that old Superman cartoon with Metallo, where he wakes up and finds out he can't feel things anymore. Luthor told him that there are "adjustments to be made in the future", after he kills Superman. At some point, he comes back to the scientists and starts demanding the adjustments in advance, and they tell him that the adjustments to be made are on his end, he just needs to adjust to the fact that he's completely hosed.

Amulet reform is part of a process.
Step 1) Ruin everything.
Step 2) Suck it down.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

rchandra posted:

Lasty made Ru so it's impossible for him to be a bad dev. Even if next week he decides to octuple the hunger rate and costs for everything.

Isn't Ru the god of taking away your options? Seems fitting.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yeah, Fragile sounds like a legitimately interesting negative modifier for items. Moreso if it makes it so there's a (sizeable) risk of breaking rather than guaranteed, as that'd turn it into a risk vs reward scenario, making it an actual tactical decision. Do I really need to swap this right now and risk losing it forever, or can I deal with this other ways?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

FireSight posted:

How about Valuable, a modifier that lets you evoke the item to make it produce gold, with a risk of it being destroyed as you strip the valuable materials off of it.

Candy Necklace, runs the risk of you eating it automatically if your hunger dips below a certain point. :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Communication is hard even when you are verbose. I work for an IT company that does network and system work for a shitload of people, and most of our stuff comes in through a ticketing system. We have our fair share of people who simply enter "Fixed problem" as their notes and close a ticket, which obviously isn't helpful. On the other hand, I take arguably the most detailed notes in the company because I'm OCD that way, and people will still ignore my step by step notes that resolved an issue because "I'm not going to read all that", even if it's for the exact problem they're trying to figure out.

Would still be nice to have context available, though.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Isn't endgame stuff designed to be anti-melee specifically with the intent of crippling melee-only viability? I don't think they're suddenly going to add special abilities (at a great deal of additional work) to spice up melee viability.

As someone who plays melee in most games in general though, I do like the idea of it. Even if I'm awful at crawl. :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

We just need to rename them Hungry Hungry Hippos and have their attacks both drain your satiation and do crazy damage. Or have a chance to bite you in half.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It sounds like it's a challenge for the HAM. Normal game too casual and full of tedious optimization! PUNCH MUMMY.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Downloaded one of the recent offline trunk builds because Pekellas sounds cool. Turns out I still can't play for poo poo. :saddowns:

My Minotaur Berserker is still trucking along, but I've been splatting various casters and such. I am at least getting better at burning through my consumables before I die. It's not efficient, but it's getting me further and I'm not dying with a bag full of useful stuff. I still haven't convinced my mind to run the gently caress away from fights instead of trying to kill just about everything that heads my way. I juked some fire immune imps up a level so I wouldn't have to fight them while playing a Fire Elementalist, and just ran my rear end off away from a Very Large Slime Monster, but aside from that I go too man-mode on everything.

Is there a good starter combo/advice for learning to play casters properly? I've been mostly playing Draconian Fire Elementalists because fire kills things and Dragons let me lean on their breath weapon as a crutch (usually). I feel like I end up leaning too heavily on my melee weapon, which obviously ends poorly. I also don't really know how much I should be focusing the various spellcasting skills in the early game.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Unimpressed posted:

Try gargoyle earth elementalist and read majang's guide, I got my only caster win that way.

I looked up that guide, seems fairly helpful. I still died getting gored by a pack of Yaks, but I have a bit better understanding of how I should be prioritizing skills for a caster. I think one of my bigger hangups to even trying casters is I don't easily know which spells are good and which are crap. For weapons, it's pretty straight forward. A bigger axe is better than a smaller axe. More plusses are better than less plusses. Brands are good and frequent enough across games you can try them out and figure which ones are good for stuff.

Spells, not so much. You get a brief description and a range indicator. Does this spell do 2d6 damage? 8 flat? Who knows! Makes it a little intimidating.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Decided to play another DrFE before work, and man did Crawl want to prove to me that was a bad loving idea. Everything had freezing weapons. Big groups of wights with swords and Dire Flails of freezing. Gnolls with spears of freezing. Try and juke them, oh hey it's Dowan and Duvessa right next to the stairs! At one point I ended up quaffing all my unID potions in a desperate bid to survive my prior terrible play, and managed to find Degenration was my most common unID potion, then hit regular mutation and got subdued magic teleportitis 2. The character is still alive, and I at least made it to the point where I've got my poison breath, so things are looking up. I suspect Sigmund waits behind the next door I enter. :v: Although I guess he isn't immune to my clouds, so that wouldn't be so bad anymore.

It's sure been an adventure.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

:staredog:
Don't mind me, gents. I'll see myself to the door.

I notice that all 3 down stairs and two of the three upstairs are in that room. Actually going back upstairs immediately seems kind of pointless, as nobody would follow me and I'd eat a few kicks to the teeth coming downstairs if I don't pick the one that is in this room. I have to come back here eventually to go down further. Do I just fire off an AoE, run back upstairs and hope to kite them somewhere I can fight one at a time, rinse and repeat?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Oh God, they do follow you up the stairs. I thought if you came down the stairs and immediately went back up, you got a "free" turn and they wouldn't follow you. So now I'm up a level but still completely surrounded. :gonk:

I'm sort of tempted just to read some unID scrolls. Blink would get me out free. Fear would presumably be fine. I might be dead by the time teleport goes off. My other option is trying to bash my way through an orc priest wizard and funnel them into a choke. Hm.

[EDIT] Found Fear! Didn't affect Psyche or the Orc Wizard (who both went invis), but it bought be breathing room to kill them. that was intense as hell.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 30, 2016

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Also, it turns out all three sets of stairs from the previous level are apparently in that room, it just lists the one I was standing on separately. So that level is just a brutal rear end-gently caress you can't avoid. That's not particularly enjoyable.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

World Famous W posted:

Oh poo poo, didn't notice the upstairs the orc was standing on, so yeah, sorry for bum advice.

That don't seem right. Wondering if that is a bug because I have never had a whole floor that was that small and condensed.

No harm on the advice. I didn't really have many options and I didn't realize all three stairs were there myself. I did manage to survive it, though I admit it was mostly luck and prayer. Of both the "Makhleb, kill these bastards!" and the "OH GOD, OH GOD, SOMEONE SAVE ME!" varieties.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yeah it definitely looks like a level gen bug or something if all six stairs are in there. If you identify ?mapping try to head back to that floor to use one, see what's up.

Happened to have it identified because it was my second most common scroll. Here you go:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

cheetah7071 posted:

I think being at starving also gives you a large slaying penalty or something similar

It should give you a bonus, but only for Bite attacks.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I suck at this game so much. :negative:

I was playing a tanky minotaur fighter. Cleared out down to the door to the depths, most of lair, was clearing Spider. Got to what I assume is the final vault, and was totally not prepared for that. I figure that's okay, I blink away and teleport to the rest of the level I was pretty sure I cleared. Oh wait, it turns out Mara was there all along! I actually made it to the up-stairs to bail, and died on the way up. :saddowns:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

kaschei posted:

I swear, give oofs their current spell list sans malmutate and people will beg for its return. Well they wouldn't but they would ought to.

This would be the core of the problem. If people would genuinely rather get blown the gently caress up rather than malmutated, maybe malmut is horrible poo poo?

[EDIT] For clarity, I'm not a good enough nor frequent enough player for Malmut to be a problem for me. Because I die to regular stuff long before then. I'm just going off general forum vibe from reading the thread.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Many of the recent dev changes have been backed by the gutsfeel of "We think players/the HAM find this boring".

Given how providing firm numbers to work with is something Crawl works actively against, gut feel is really what you find yourself working on more often than not.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I hereby propose a new, True Challenge Species: Tomb Cats. They combine all the "fun" characteristics of Mu and Fe into one adorable little bandage-wrapped package!

They'd be true paper tigers. :downsrim:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think I might take my ball and go home in that situation too. I really can't fault the server admin.

Unfortunately, that's the weakness of the honor system. People, by nature, aren't honorable. Some shithead is always going to screw it up for everyone, and apparently this Dreemurr guy is that shithead today.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

A more apt metaphor would be burglary. If the door is unlocked, you're not Breaking & Entering. It still doesn't entitle you to steal all you want from the building.

I think most of us would say "gently caress this, I'm out" under those circumstances. Hopefully someone will step up and make a proper auth system, as that's the only real solution. But that is a different skillset from what it takes to code the game, and isn't exactly easy work. The simplest implementation from a "get something running" standpoint might be to have an "official" server where everybody makes their account, and the others just refer to that for the confirmation when you start a new game. That really just moves the griefing up to everybody having a mad rush to secure their name before a griefer steals it though.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

There is no system where you move from unathenticated to authenticated and don't require at least some arbitration or overview process during the cutover. The bitch is going to be letting people prove who they are corresponds with the original local account. The easiest arbitration is just "whichever copy of the account existed first is the rightful owner" makes the most sense, but unless you've got some kind of proper contact verification set up for those accounts in the first place you've got no proper way for people to verify their identity when moving to the new system.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PleasingFungus posted:

Yeah, exactly. There's e.g. known cases where someone started using a name years ago, played three games and then quit, and then someone else started using that same name (coincidentally) on another server for hundreds of games. Oldest-account-first is a decent default, but you do need some way to intervene in cases where that's wrong, and you're never going to be able to get everything right. There's inevitable pain here.

I'm certain these are all known problems - this and the rest of the stuff I described in my last post - but I don't have the experience to know the solutions. That's the really frustrating part, for me!

The unfortunate solution in the modern world is that you pay for an out of the box auth solution in most cases. And that's way out of the price range for a project like this. Anything else is going to be a hack job. That said, maybe you could speak to the guys who did the home rolled auth for Goonswarm's page? You probably don't need it to be as hefty and secure as theirs, but they might have some pointers or ideas about scope of system.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I honestly think when it comes down to it, the big decision is how much people are willing to give up to have a more secure system in place. I would wager not much, until someone shits on them.

You're going to have to set a time limit (like 60 or 90 days), and tell people they've got to centralize. If you support local accounts (beyond untracked "Guest" accounts assigned a random ID or something for one off games) on the individual servers, you're going to have to put exceptions for them in the central system or you get conflicts when someone tries to register them at central. At that point, you're in the same boat, so just make someone register it.
The whole thing is going to come down to how much time devs and server admins are willing to set aside to arbitrate disputes in that 60/90 day window. Once your initial conflcits are resolved, everything is fine because a new account will be centralized and any old account past that limit gets told to gently caress off.

The weak point is obviously that auths will all go through the central server and if central goes down the whole thing goes down, but if you're only dealing with authenticating for the initial sign on per session that's not that big a hurdle.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Also, the troll trying to defend himself is hilarious.
He's trying to spin it as if the BIG BAD ADMIN is taking away everybody's fun over a "harmless" prank.

Guy is a cowardly prick. gently caress him. If you're going to grief and troll people, at least be man enough to accept you're an rear end in a top hat. What kind of reaction did he expect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Sage Grimm posted:

I'm going to need a good Abyss pun again. Hm.

Give A Man Abyss And You Feed Them For A Day?

Life's Abyss and Then You Die.

• Locked thread