Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

FulsomFrank posted:

Quick non-tourney related question for all the casters out there (aside from how do you guys play online so much, it's so laggy and unresponsive compared to offline): when you guys choose to rest and regen mana, are most people anal enough to run around and find a cleared out or relatively safe and escape filled area to do it OR do you guys prefer to just plop your asses down wherever and hit 5? I guess this question works for HP too.

I tend to back up about 10 tiles towards explored areas, to a position with good visibility and the ability to cut line of sight to anywhere with a single step. I only do this if I've been hurt quite a bit, or need to wait out exhaustion etc. If it's just a bit of hp or mana, I just mash 5 where I stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Almost a hundred ogres have snuffed itreached a glorious conclusion to their adventure, and I think I'm slowly starting to get a handle on them. It's a strange combination of ridiculous melee damage and absolutely zero staying power. I'm currently digging Artificer start of the less obvious ones, as a pile of trash wands and ~4 points in Evocations helps to deal with the medium level early monsters that ogres seem to struggle with, and spares Qazlal nukes etc. for the actual threats. I've tried Yred as well when there's been an early altar, but not to any success. That might require a monk start for me to get the real powers online before I get killed.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Is Death Channel worth using over Animate Dead at all? According to the wiki the spectres are somewhat comparable to zombies, but they are temporary and the spell is a higher level, so I don't see the point. Also, can Kiku brand artefacts? The Necronomicon doesn't seem too useful for a 3-runer but I may just go for it if I can't rebrand that holy whip, which is serving extremely useful for player ghosts and general anti-undead duty until I get Dispel Undead.

If you can get Death Channel before orc/lair branches, it will absolutely roflstomp those. Only greater nagas, emperor scropions and turtles in numbers put up any kind or resistance. It drops in usefulness fairly sharply in depths and zot, as monsters kill the specters too fast for a critical mass to form.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

That image is really funny. GJ to whomever made it.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Haha. What?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

It should be noted that the spawn rates of the damage wands have also been adjusted accordingly, so you will still get the same amount of damage wands, they will just be from the new set.

I wouldn't actually mind this change, IF the flame fart wand was removed as well, and the lightning wand made a bit better. I cannot remember a situation where I thought using either of the puff wands was a better idea than just running already. Maybe with an artificer start against early adders, but then again, I can't think of a huge problem with just handing them a lightning wand instead. The lightning wand is already loud, having poor accuracy on top of that just makes it feel like a last resort crapshoot option, rather than a powerful item to be used sparingly.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

I can see having wands of flame, frost, fire and cold as having 'an excess of tactical options'. 'Excess of uninteresting tactical options' would perhaps be more accurate. It's just a bunch of memorization about which wand goes against which monster, and which ones were the useless ones again.

I maintain that consolidating the wands by removing the similar, the borderline useless, and the lesser potion effect replicating wands is a fine idea. The remaining possible problems now are that the borderline useless wand of flame still exists, and that wand of lightning might not be good enough to pull the weight of the removed fire and cold wands.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Haifisch posted:

I feel like flame was kept so there's still a low-level damage wand to give weak enemies. I'm not sure why they picked it instead of magic darts, though.

Ah, this makes sense. They probably picked flame just for mummy players :getin:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

Artificers start with a wand of flame.

Yeah, in my first post about this I suggested just giving them lightning instead, since it's worse than hitler anyways.

• Locked thread