Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

can confirm this is true

skill is fake anyways
e:I don't know how to deal with thorn hunters without high AC

I usually break out wands of fire or summoning scrolls for them. They are also worthy of using up Haste+Might. Otherwise, I just pick a different staircase and hope they don't find me again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

gently caress, missed the first three finished by about 15 minutes. Congratz to Thug Lessons for 2nd though!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Slaapaav posted:

ugh you cant hit m then rightclick on a skill to focus all your xp on it in 0.17 offline. loving poo poo game

Shift + the skill's letter should do the same thing.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

KoldPT posted:

By the time I got home yesterday from dinner with friends, my team already had two wins. I should've stayed home, now I feel dishonorable.

If it makes you feel better, I splatted almost immediately on the next game :shobon:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Did someone screw up the artifact generation code? Seems like everyone is getting way better gear this version than in the last one.

Nah, my first game had every artifact axe that Trog gifted me contain rC-, it's working fine.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

code:
14504867 Floodkiller the Conqueror (level 27, 287/298 HPs)
             Began as a Gargoyle Gladiator on Nov 6, 2015.
             Was the Champion of Qazlal.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Nov 8, 2015!

The game lasted 07:12:11 (109891 turns).
First 15-rune for Edit-Nevermind Dead (sorry IronicDongz :( ), and holy poo poo I did not deserve this. I was playing so sloppy, and the only thing that saved me multiple times was the fact that -cTele was removed and I could blink away. Thank god for that change.

Here's what the morgue picked up, but there's way more than just this.
code:
61712 | Zig:10   | HP: 9/189 [something/bolt of cold (13)]
87992 | Geh:7    | HP: 9/199 [smoke demon/divine providence (17)]

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

I've been splitting my stat increases between Int and Str in hopes of being able to attain very basic utility spell functionality in really heavy armour (like, level 1 and 2 spells) while focusing mainly on rock throwing and savage GSC beatdowns. Is this dumb y/n

As an ogre, you are already getting +1 strength every three levels, so I just dump it all into Int if I plan on trying to cast spells later.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Tollymain posted:

i miss playing crawl, but just haven't been able to get back into it :(

any advice

Anything of Xom, just enjoy the ride.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Hail Ogrebrothers! What do you all think about the state of the GSC in .17? The skill needed to hit min delay has increased from 22 to 24, while the giant club now needs only 18 rather than 20. It might be heresy to say this, but I think some ogres might prefer giant clubs now to giant spiked clubs. Especially those ogres who prefer to emphasize "crush with large rock" over "smash with huge stick". I imagine this could be even more true for the ogre that would like to say funny sounding book words before crushing with large rocks and smashing with huge sticks. My win so far used a GSC, but I lost an ogre on snake four that I think would have been stronger without making the push to 24 M&F. 20 base damage is still really, really good after all.

You could just swing the GSC at 1.0 delay, though, if you really had something else to put stats into.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

There are way too many minotaur and gargoyle ghosts stomping around the dungeon right now.

They aren't LogicNinja tier ghosts, be thankful.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Did Lom Lobon get buffed in this version? As far as I know he hasn't changed at all since he got glaciate but for some reason he's giving me TONS of trouble lately. Used to be I smashed his nerdy eyeball into pieces but now he's just casting tornado ASAP and spamming glaciate nonstop. Its basically impossible to kill him in melee when he does that. I mean really;

Not as far as I can tell. I mean, I almost died to him with the gargoyle of Qazlal I had earlier just trying to run up and beat him to death, but I found out afterword that it was because I didn't have any rC+ equipped :shepface:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Managed to get a 2-win streak going after winning my MfSk, and decided to play it safe with a Troll Necromancer (aka a Troll) for a third win. Walked around a corner on D:1, got instagibbed by a max-damage roll distortion effect from a dagger wielded by a goblin. Well played, Crawl.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

resistentialism posted:

Are FoCks immune to xom tele roulette?

Yes, only distortion-based teleports can affect them, since permastasis blocks the rest. You also dodge Xom slowing or paralyzing you as well!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I believe I have finally encountered the first moment where I was saved due to having a wand of magic darts: low HP formicid vs a pack of blink frogs. Holy poo poo do I appreciate how magic dart never misses.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Crawl is getting too omgrandom for me.

Sorry (not sorry)

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Thanks, Xom.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

Did they change something on 0.17 since 0.16.1 (obv. not the double damage bug version)? I've been playing local and... dying a lot. Which is the point I know, but I'm not dying the way I usually would, and have been in the past. I started with some splatty OcMo since I'm going to luck into a win with one of those one of these days, splatted about 10, and then decided to do some FoFi as a palate cleanser as it were. About 20 chars later, one has made it far enough to choose between orc/lair. Of those 20, 5 have died to Ogre w/ GC doing 25+ damage on a single hit. 5 more have died to orc priests. I realize these are dangerous monsters, but it just feels weird since they weren't usually the ones to 'get' me in the past (that honour being held by invisible stalkers, centaur packs, and hydras mostly). I'll admit this is a whooole lot of confirmation bias but it feels like:
- I've heard you guys discuss how giant clubs have changed recently, did the crit rate change? It seems to be firing way more often. Put another way, on my old install I had to play 121 chars before I got up to 5 ogre deaths and I've reached that one in 20 plays this time.
- Did smite rate change for orc priests? I've had quite a few cases where they are 3 steps away, I take 3 steps, and get smote every step. Again, it 'feels' higher
(unrelated to dying)
- Did drop rate for xp potions go up? I've found 3 so far on this version off the floor, which feels like a lot when previously I can only remember finding them in zigs and once in a bailey
- Did drop rate for weird armor go up? The last five chars in a row I've found naga barding somewhere between D1-5 (not a naga). Not a complaint, curious if they massaged that
- Did food drops change? This version feels like I 'have' to use chunks, whereas before it was just eat bread press next. All of these chars have been melee (I haven't even learned a spell on 0.17 yet) and not having any food drains

Note this isn't another "wah devs ruined crawl" kind of post, I'm legitimately curious if any of things changed so I should be changing my playstyle.

Out of everything, the only thing on there that I probably agree might have something wrong is the naga barding drops. I have also seen one in D:1-8 about every 1-in-3 games (but it's only naga bardings, not centaur bardings). Everything else just sounds like you're getting lucky/unlucky, but completely normal.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Not My Leg posted:

Really though, why was this a thing? It clearly wasn't an accident, the intended behavior was to modify monster rod power by shield skill. It's right there in the code comments.

I'm placing my bets that it was originally put in for labyrinths to ensure the minotaur wasn't impossible to beat if it picked up a large shield and a rod of destruction, or something like that.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I was just playing my TrCK that finally stabilized against Xom's "assistance" (and the first successful start after 23 other splats) and was doing Depths to get some much needed experience to take on Vaults. Who should I run into but Mara: I dig a murderhole and berserk (due to a complete lack of normal haste) with full rF+++, figuring it should be a piece of cake. However, just before dying, Mara teleports away and leaves me stuck fighting a berserked illusion of myself in a corner. By the time berserk has worn off and allowed me to read teleport, I'm already at half health, and Xom is buffing my illusion while cackling loudly. I die a couple turns later.

Five seconds after I see that I've died, my playlist changes to Dogsong. Well played, Xom.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Yeah, I agree that death cobs need to be toned down/reverted. In fact, other than not displaying player damage values, the biggest thing that is upsetting me about recent Crawl additions is the reliance on adding monsters with near-unresistable attacks to non-Extended as a way to increase the challenge, rather than adjusting why it isn't a challenge by the time you reach that point in the game.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Give Tier-1 demons a new home

quote:

Give Tier-1 demons a new home

In order to resolve the issue of players disliking new monster additions, some older friends will move in to share the spotlight. All Tier-1 demons will now spawn naturally in Vaults, Depths, and Zot, taking a portion of the spawn weights from caustic shrikes, juggernauts, entropy weavers, salamander stormcallers, and death cobs.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Uhhh.... making jokes here Floodkiller?

I think it may need some refactoring.

Also, thirding death popcorn.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I read these achievement-sounding things recently, and I've never heard of them before. Where do I see them?

Here!

I'm being a complete moron and trying to get Avarice III right now, even though I really should just get another win instead.

Edit: I lived up to the team name, but I got the banner first!

code:
72575 | Dis:7    | Noticed Dispater
 72583 | Dis:7    | Banished Dispater
 72609 | Dis:7    | Got an iron rune of Zot
 72999 | Depths:2 | Killed from afar by a deep elf death mage

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 21, 2015

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Thanks for the info! Those are some interesting challenges, maybe I'll try them next time around.

They are a load of fun to aim for! I'm pretty happy with managing to get Speed Demon III and Conqueror III this tournament (I got it last tournament, but that was double damage, so it didn't really count).

I actually wish that you could earn the banners all year long, because I would love to fill up my profile with banners instead of playing seriously. I haven't really found the inspiration to play outside of tournaments since I won with all the species otherwise.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

A bunch of changes just hit thanks to the tournament ending. Here's some interesting ones (to me, anyway):

Mark the Elf:3 vault enemies as patrolling. This will make it much harder to scroll of noise/shout out the entire Elf vault, so I guess there goes the easy way of doing that.

Remove Chant Fire Storm; rework Chant Word of Entropy to Entropic Weave. Entropy Weavers are now corrosion smiters (but only one stack at a time). Stormcallers now just have Fire Storm, but need to charge it up ala orb spiders (which means breaking LoS doesn't reset the counter for them to Fire Storm).

Mnoleg gains chaos spells and Gloorx Vloq can cast LRD and Summon Executioners now. This might make the other unique Pan Lords a bit scarier now.

Spark wasps. Because obviously we needed to combine shock serpentsraiju and killer bees.

Removed trivially interesting fun thing.

Don't block Finesse under stasis. Formicids of Okawaru unite!

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 23, 2015

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

apple posted:

Wouldn't this just make it so you end up fighting less enemies at a time? I'm not sure how patrolling works.

It's more about hurting the murderhole strategy, since you're only going to be able to keep the attention of the guys right next to the vault entrance, instead of being able to kite any of the elves back to the safety of your one square of LoS battle arena. It's definitely a benefit to those who are actually willing to fight inside the vault though.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Forgot to point out that Corrosive Smite has an MR attached to it, since it is now a Hex (with a power cap of 200), so you can resist it (3/5 chance or better to avoid at 3 pips, without taking into account the variance of MR checks).

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Cleanup some obscure MR beam code

code:
Cleanup some obscure MR beam code

Malmutate, Corrupt Body, and Sap Magic are resistable for monsters
but not for players; this seems to be the result of dubious code
rather than something intentional. Remove this behavior.
Speaking of MR checks, if I'm reading this right, it means that Malmutate is now properly a 200 spellpower hex that can be resisted (instead just going straight to a rMut check) :stare:. Wanna clarify, PF?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

apple posted:

Taking a quick look at the code, it seems like Malmutate goes through an MR check yeah, but I can't tell what spellpower is assigned to Malmutate :v:

I Ctrl+F'd through spl-data.h

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

apple posted:

I could be wrong, but the struct entry for malmutate has 200 for its power cap, but that suggests that it's the max spell power, not the actual spell power assigned to malmutate? Plus, different monsters have different spell powers on their skills, it'd make no sense to have every monster cast LCS at 200 spell power, for example.

Yeah, I misread, it's definitely power cap :downs:

I think it's usually HD that defines monster spellpower, but I'm not sure how that will work with stuff like neqoxec (6) or shining eye (10) without giving it a spellpower boost behind the scenes to keep them relevant against 3+ pip players.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

You misread it. The effects for players are unchanged.

(to clarify: BEAM_MALMUTATE now returns false for has_saving_throw(), which means that neither players nor monsters roll MR to try to beat it. Previously, it returned true for has_saving_throw() (monsters could resist it with MR), but players were special-cased to not be able to resist it.)

Thanks, I knew it was too good to be true :(

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

apple posted:

Guide to drinking the purple as a Spriggan:
1. Find the purple
2. Drink it
3. "gently caress"

The solution is more of the problem.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

rchandra posted:

I was on the 3rd-place clan. My first terrible week got avenged with 5 wins in the next 7 games, including 3 nemelex choices and not using any Trog. Really should have been a 5-streak. Probably somebody I don't recognize placed higher than my 54th.

e: Haifisch's team at #30 was probably the highest all-SA team?

Congratz! I did well at first, but then completely hit a brick wall in terms of success and effort, so I'll just imagine that I effectively stopped playing when I was 3-8.

Also, I believe the highest all-SA team was In Zot Corn Eats You, unless I'm forgetting somebody who's higher.

E:Nevermind Dead was #24th, by the way.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

WereVolvo posted:

Oh, and I came one species closer to greatplayer by ascending a HuGl at the end. Only Kobold, Halfling, Felid, Demigod and Mummy left! :suicide:

Felid Enchanter honestly isn't that bad, it's basically a SpEn with extra lives and a built in dagger! Just make sure to pick something like Vehemut or Sif to guarantee a transition to Conjurations/Transmutations/Summoning before you hit the usual Hexes brick wall. Kobold of Oka/Trog is also good for abusing the poo poo out of your crossbow aptitude and wrecking the place with unlimited ammo and a basically guaranteed triple crossbow.

My demigod was assisted by an early +6 ring of protection, my halflings found +10 CPA in an Ice Cave, and my Mummy Xomscummed for 200k turns into a bunch of rods, so I don't have good advice for them :v:

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 25, 2015

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

World Famous Whore posted:

Wait, just to confirm, there is NOT one guaranteed anymore in Depths? I am looking at the commits and I don't see that. Just making sure I am clear on this is all.

The way the commit is worded seems like one will still exist in Depths, since you can stack up to two of them. This implies that you will be able to get one in Depths (for potential xp/loot) and one in Tomb:3 (to ensure you can do the former without locking yourself out of megazigging). At least, I hope that's correct.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Hope nobody was trying to win before this came out :v:

Edit: Also banishment now sends you deeper based on the HD of the banishing creature. (I changed the links to diffs just for you, Brannock).

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 27, 2015

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

Also stat drain is a weird fucky annoying edge case already and I would not be especially surprised to see it disappear or change significantly at some point. As for drain, you can use strong evocables on scary enemies to quickly recoup xp in an emergency.

I also would like to see stat drain go away, after having experienced a massive amount of it when getting the Avarice III banner. I had to stop 2 times in Dis to go grind in the Abyss, just to get rid of the stat drain I had built up, and it was more annoying than challenging.

Alternatively, keep stat drain, but use it in the place of mutation for bad effects of contamination. Once you hit yellow or higher, you start stat draining as it decreases down to safe levels.

Or bring back restore abilities potions :colbert:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

I ascended that Gargoyle eventually. That was the first time I think, where I felt I was just kicking the poo poo out of the game. All my other ascensions have been like "ok that was pretty nuts but I barely made it, run for Zot now", but that one was kind of "jeez, I could keep going, maybe do some zigs/pan/abyss diving". I never finished a Zig (too chicken) but I'm still amazed I was consistently able to do Zig 25 with a melee character (did this three times). Zin's recite at 27 Invo was amazing for mummy/undead/hell levels, and the rods got busted out for Slime/Snake/Lair levels. With Vitalisation up I think I had 90 AC, 40 EV and 40 SH. I eventually had to stop picking up enchant armour/weapon scrolls since I had nothing they were applicable to any longer. Its totally changed my view of Zigs, in that if I have an ascension worthy guy I'll probably check out at least Zig 1-10 to see if I can get lucky.

Yeah, dipping into Zigs is always a good idea if you don't feel fully prepared for Zot:5 and want to gamble on a bit of extra gear.

That is, until you get a Fire/Pan Lord floor and eat it before you know what happened.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Just remember, Ogre Batman would never use a Shotgun rod. :colbert:

If Batman would use a shotgun on owls, Ogre Batman would use a shotgun on caustic shrikes :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Hey, remember a couple pages back when I mistakenly thought that Malmutate was resistible by MR? How about making that actually become true because holy poo poo why would you remove rMut before improving how Malmutate works first? Actually, you know what would be a better change? Malmutate only gives temporary mutations in all cases; leave permanent mutations for purple-chasers and divine 'gifts'.

Also, warding was a great amulet and now it looks like total garbage. I'll also be throwing away regen amulets faster than normal to staple rCorr to my neck in the new branch of Dungeon Crawl: Lasty Soup where players will have to deal with corrosion branded weapons and acid bytes from death yaks.

Edit: Bring back caustic hammer dwarves

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 30, 2015

• Locked thread