Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Stoat posted:

stop doing runs the day before the tournaments guys, luck takes 3-4 weeks to reset
can confirm this is true

skill is fake anyways
e:I don't know how to deal with thorn hunters without high AC

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm glad that I didn't need to redo all my control macros for 0.17, I've had to do that before

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
lmao

first run, +4 ring of slaying on d:2 and level 3 black scales mutation by d:3
e:and then wave of death mut aay

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 6, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
and then I found a wand of hasting on d:5

what is my life

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The lag on cszo is killing me right now.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Does Kryia's mail work with ambrosia?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

>://///////////////////////////////

Thug Lessons posted:

I don't know what that is. Does it have clarity? Ambrosia does not work through clarity.
It's the unrand that doubles device healing, I'm wondering if it doubles ambrosia like potions of healing.

e:

at XL 27. are you loving kidding me

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Nov 7, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Pan loving sucks. I just died in pan because I got so bored of looking for the first rune vault that I tabbed myself to death. It's just treading water for like... potentially loving hours, if you're unlucky. at least a long time, usually. why isn't the first rune vault guaranteed?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
who's Piginabag and why did they play a felid skald. who hurt you :ohdear:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

tfw

PleasingFungus posted:

Yes.

I had to look at the code, I was honestly guessing no before I checked. But it does, or should, anyway.
Cool. I died already, but I used ambrosia so maybe I died later than I would have??

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

why is this lovely trove full of nerds

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

ynoxen can summon ufes
I know. I mean why does this vault of treasure have a nerd cage in it

also is holy pan a rune vault, I forgot

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Anyone who says anyone other than Antaeus is the most dangerous hell lord is full of poo poo, I just got punched to death by him even after slowing him with curare, as a 33 ev/44 ac maxed out unarmed chei dude.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If it's your first win, just get it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm glad I'm at the top of my team even though other people have wins and I don't lol

truly this is the hidden merit of doing basically everything in the game and then throwing for no reason

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Is there something about cszo that makes it bad at this specific hour? I keep getting "websocket connection failed" when I play this late.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

UP AND ADAM posted:

I just started playing this game, and it's really good. I got my second character, a GrFE, to the lair very with lots of good stuff like a +7 dagger {freeze, MP+9 Dex+3 Stlth+} that I found on d:5, but died in the swamps to a hydra (after having beat some others ones). I'm getting how all the stats and skills work to build a character, but I was wondering what the "optimal" armor for a hybrid type fighting/magic character is. I found a plate armor with like +7 but resigned myself to never using it, but if I focus on armor and spell skills, what kind of armor could I expect to get? I know the other choice is going dodge and just wearing robes, but I was a hearty species and found a good weapon.
I usually use at least ring or scale mail, sometimes I upgrade past that to dragon armor or chain but it's perfectly winnable with those.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ramc posted:

FoCK is actually pretty ok. The most dangerous 'screw you' Xom drops is turning me into an ice beast. He's done it twice, it lasts awhile and makes me a relative sitting duck. Would a potion of cancellation take me out of a form?
it should, if you can drink in ice beast form(I think you can?)

UP AND ADAM posted:

I want to play this instead of Fallout 4 <_>
gently caress yeah bud

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Internet Kraken posted:

As far as hell effects ago, none of the ones that do direct damage matter in the slightest.
In my experience, this is always the case, statue form or no statue form.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

holy poo poo this depths entrance sucks
looks like I'm gonna have to tell everyone to wait, read tele and go down then recall

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 10, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Finally got a win. Should have gotten 2 easy 15-runes before but I threw, so I just did a quick beogh 3-rune.

Internet Kraken posted:

Did Lom Lobon get buffed in this version? As far as I know he hasn't changed at all since he got glaciate but for some reason he's giving me TONS of trouble lately. Used to be I smashed his nerdy eyeball into pieces but now he's just casting tornado ASAP and spamming glaciate nonstop. Its basically impossible to kill him in melee when he does that.
This has been my Lom Lobon experience™ literally every single time I fight him every single version. I'm near positive that all the people who think he's easy have just gotten lucky in the RNG roulette that is monster AI in crawl.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Also were you actually holding down the "wait one turn" button to rest instead of hitting the one that automatically waits up to 100 turns

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I had a game, Hill Orc gladiator, end 77 turns in against the first enemy I saw which I was just unable to kill in melee due to bad attack rolls. It was a gecko.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It works with mummies, so I would assume yes?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You can absolutely just melee your way through the game with the elemental staff. It's kind of crazy good with some evo training.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

:burger:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Oh poo poo, found Murray! Only two uniques left to go for our team after I smush him.

...am I supposed to be able to find cerebov's level before I've gotten the demonic rune?

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 17, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Died like an idiot in hell again. At least I got murray, and my dude looked pretty killer.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
lmao

crawl is a very special game sometimes. I like reading https://twitter.com/crawlcode for similar reasons

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Matty posted:

I'm playing offline, should i keep playing 0.16 or try 0.17? 0.17 is basically a few nerfs and minor changes right?
I would recommend switching. SquareLOS makes way, way more sense once you get used to it, because of how circularLOS does this:

You just can't see as far diagonally, because reasons, so if you're using ranged attacks the amount of turns you will get to stop enemies approaching from diagonals before they reach you are almost halved. And vice versa.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't recall being able to see less far northwest than north IRL.

In a game which is already considerably abstracted by way of being tile-based(and where you can more diagonally), squareLOS is more "realistic" than circleLOS because real life doesn't have magic directions. Not that it matters anyways.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 18, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I do genuinely think that Hell would be better if each branch were just one difficult floor. And pan would be better if you were guaranteed to get the rune levels right off the bat, and then random levels came after so if you really wanted you could trawl through it for zigs or whatever.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Death cobs definitely need to be toned down. If you're melee, you can get stuck in a horrible cycle of eating food repeatedly taking one attack between each eat, and if the food you're eating takes too many turns you can literally get put at starving again before you have a chance to act. Unless you get good rolls fighting a death cob+another enemy is a death sentence.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

silentsnack posted:

Still waiting for death cob fanart.

I hope you plebeians can appreciate the true meaning of this piece

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I thought steam dragon's breath attack was non-elemental?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Is that an actual element? I assumed it was just plain damage because there's no resistance for it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Judging from silentsnack's edit you can be vulnerable to it as well.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
:pwn: Wait, what gameplay effects are these?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I do really think faded altars should be guaranteed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ZeeToo posted:

Some other changes from tournament start to now:
[list][*]Octopode crushers replaced with Iron Giants. Where are my guaranteed hats going to come from now? Still throws like octopode crushers. I'll miss my high-tier octopodes, even so.
what the gently caress

there are already enough samey giant dudes in this game where the gently caress are my octopodes

• Locked thread