Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Quick non-tourney related question for all the casters out there (aside from how do you guys play online so much, it's so laggy and unresponsive compared to offline): when you guys choose to rest and regen mana, are most people anal enough to run around and find a cleared out or relatively safe and escape filled area to do it OR do you guys prefer to just plop your asses down wherever and hit 5? I guess this question works for HP too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

apple posted:

I did, looks a little better now :downs:

I almost auto-explored into my death here, why do new death cobs exist again?

Holy poo poo, how many turns did it take for those guys to starve you to death? Are you posting them hitting you four times in one turn and going from satiated to starving??

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

apple posted:

I see Cerebov developed a taste for holy swine :btroll:

I love this sort of stuff in crawl. I think they are a little too infrequent for my taste but when you find neat little (vaults?) with some character and extra-attention to them it really makes a run special. Especially in Pan where the floors are just so boring and ugly in general.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Prism posted:

This is correct; death curses get the same protection as Necromancy miscasts. Additionally, Kiku gives you explicit torment resistance; a max-piety follower of Kiku takes 20% of their health from Torment, not 50%. (This stacks with rN+++ but not very well.)

That said, seconding Qazlal because Qazlal is hilarious.

My stompiest 15-rune ever was with a Demonspawn fighter of Qzalol I think back when the double damage bug was in or slaying bonuses were way more prevalent. Between an executioner's axe of speed, powered by death, and poo poo EXPLODING EVERYWHERE it was tons and tons of fun and about as rip and tear as things get in Crawl.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Ah, good. Now we can get an excellent variety of the demonic variety of torment and hellfire and smiting and summoners... with all the other tormenting, hellfiring, smiting, and summoning enemies.

Maybe the suggestion to merge zot and vaults has already begun...

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Instead of ditching deathcobs entirely a la singularity, why don't we A) reduce the hunger attack or B) do what angry diplomat suggests and make them into a tactical threat rather than a "gently caress you, hope you've got a scroll of blinking" check?

I like the idea of smacking them spawning mini-cobs that can surround you, making them kind of like little Royal Jellies.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
We've got a giant slug that ate a wizard and wears his hat.

We need a crab unique now. Maybe he's a fighter that is constantly circling around the player while pinching and jabbing. Think about it.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Scaramouche posted:

"occasionally teleported to nearby monsters" (which I've never had so not sure what it'll do)

It's really bad and will get you killed or at the very least lead to way more panic situations than normal.

Only solution is to eat more purple and mutate the mutations away!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

rchandra posted:

Get Haste, get Fighting, probably enchant the PDA. No reason you can't do extended, if you have to melee a hell/pan lord use a potion of might.

I wouldn't have advised spending tons of experience learning statueform to meld all your good armour, but here you are (it's a lot better when you already had reasons to be in earth and/or tmut)

Mish over Villain, swapping in the rF/Str ring as needed.

Is there a cap on the amount of benefit haste can provide? Like, if you've maxed unarmed and switch to blade hands and you cover ground quickly and have boots of running - would haste not provide as much a boost as someone without these things?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

IronicDongz posted:

like has whoever made this changes ever played extended without rMut? especially as a melee-focused character. it sucks rear end. it's not impossible but it's not fun. the only times I've had to try doing that, I've quickly given up and just grabbed the orb because getting unavoidably randomly mutated is just really lovely

If I don't find rMut I don't play past three runes. And Zot is nasty enough with orbs of fire in general let alone them mutating you like it's going out of style.

Like you said, it sounds like a problem with malmutate more than the bloody amulet. If you ditch the amulet why not add what Floodkiller was saying with magic resistance actually helping to block that poo poo (like it always should have) or that they are all temporary like wretched stars?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

People farm Zot? Wouldn't farming Pan/Zigs be more apt?

Anyway, I'm with the consensus that pitchforks can be lowered seeing as they're planning on revamping malmutate but it remains that instead of revamping first and then applying the amulet changes, they went ahead and changed it and left Trunk players in the lurch without any solution. As always, I appreciate tremendously the effort and free time the devs sink into making Crawl one of my favourite FREE games of all time. There are just times when it feels like there is a severe disconnect between whats going on behind the curtain and what the rest of us see/play. I really appreciate your posting in this thread PleasingFungus.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Shoals has the greatest ability of the bunch to completely gently caress you over without warning. Between the tides and the nymphs and the Aquamancers and harpies and snapping turtles and javeliners and lol why not a unique or two it can get nasty and you can find yourself completely up poo poo's creek.

Snake you know is dangerous but there are lots of corridors and it's easy to outrun the nagas (even if annacondas claimed a couple of early promising characters before I started treating them with hyper-caution).

Spider is okay until the bottom and then you have to be careful not to aggro the entire floor and if you're a caster, not get hosed over by the ghost moths. It's also easy to fumigate the entire branch with poison cloud. Wolf spiders can do a shitload of damage if you aren't careful too.

Swamp is alright unless you don't notice a hydra around a corner or a bramble bush monster.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Darox posted:

You forgot crypt which is usually pretty easy for anyone who can survive vaults, especially if you can get even one pip of rN. Just be careful around the casters and don't get swarmed by ghouls or jiangshi, and it's a pretty easy bag of xp and loot before taking on your third rune.

Silent Spectres are terrifying too. When I see that AoE I get reeeeeeal nervous especially if they're accompanied by some nasty stuff.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Sage Grimm posted:

Alternatively check out the floating weapon emporium of Elf:2 and see if you can find a bloodthirsty executioner's axe in the mix.

Am I the only one that finds the Hall of Blades one of the most consistently dangerous places in crawl? The amount of times I've popped my head in to try and snag an executioner's axe and had to panic blink/haste away from latajangs of speed or other similarly deadly pieces of equipment is many!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I am in shock that people here have actually ever burned the most fun scroll in the game on shiny coins.

But that sucks about the hat. At least you needed one for the armour slot, right? Right??

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

PleasingFungus posted:

Gold is fun. This is also why Tomb is such a wonderful branch.

Hail Gozag!

I wish shops could spawn in Pan or you could get a chance to find Bazaar floors or something.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Angry Diplomat posted:

Oh man, a Demonic Bazaar themed Pan floor would be awesome. Just an insane hodgepodge of all sorts of demons, random humanoids from various branches, and a smattering of Vault guards and liches, all pissed off that you barged into their giant evil flea market. Every single mob (that initially spawned) is carrying a modest amount of gold, there's a whole bunch of different shops, and Gozag has an altar in a little shrine in the middle.

Man, stop coming up with good ideas for special Pan floors. This sounds dangerously close to... fun.

PleasingFungus, is there actual resistance on the dev side of things to making Pan more interesting beyond a lot of similar looking floors mixed up with Pan Lord lairs and a holy themed one? Not trying to sound whiny or demanding, I'm just curious if there's an actual resistance to making Pan feel more unique with floors themed around branches or gods, kind of like a dumping ground for interesting/wacky ideas? I've never made a floor or vault so I have no idea who difficult it is to make these things.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

World Famous W posted:

Leaving the abyss hell is never exciting, just a relief. Nothing about the Abyss hell can be considered exciting, it is either just stupidly dangerous early on or tedius later. Abyss Hell is the only branch I truly dislike.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fhqwhgads posted:

Outside of being dropped directly into a Pan Lord vault, I've always thought Pan was pretty enjoyable as both an XP and Item font. Malmutators seemed to me to be more easily dealt with there than in Abyss.

Pan isn't bad like Abyss for turning the corner and getting screwed through swarms and line of sight and randomly changing terrain, but does seem to have a disproportionate amount of malmutating assholes that show up constantly.

Speaking mutation, what's the status on the changes to it and the yanking of my rMut amulet?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

PleasingFungus posted:

Reduce neqoxec spawn rates (somewhere between 33% and 60%)

:hellyeah:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Internet Kraken posted:

Its bizarre to me that they are basically acknowledging that mutations can't be avoided but not realizing that because of it, malmutate isn't a good mechanic in the first place.

Baby steps, Kraken, baby-steps. We'll get to a happy middle-ground one of these days.

To be perfectly honest finding cure mutation potions was never difficult. I felt like the game gave you too many (at least mid-to-late) seeing as I usually ended the game with stacks of them. My issue isn't the quantity of CureMut, it's that if you've been playing mutation roulette or quaffing BenMut (the most fun potion in the game) then it's kind of a gently caress you to get berserkitis or teleportitis or one other lovely mutation that if left alone is game ending, So what do you do? You quaff a potion to (hopefully) nerf the one bad thing and in the process, get rid of the rest of the mutations you may have wanted. I don't know how to fix this beyond making Beneficial Mutations a different tier of mutation that isn't affected by CurMut, and maybe just leaving the way mutations from eating the purple are handled in general.

Or maybe it's just me and my addiction to mutations, but they're a big part of what makes Crawl so much fun.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

68k posted:

Can we have a discussion about how the abyss is the absolute worst hot rear end garbage part of this game

Do you mean when getting looked at the wrong way by an Elf or Ogre Mage and being sent to a place of infinite horror? Or do you mean the sloggy and dangerous grind through ever shifting areas of chaos trying to find a randomly generated rune?

I don't mind the abyss to be perfectly honest because if I am voluntarily going there it's because I'm feeling cocky enough to tackle it and it usually isn't a problem outside of some really bad luck or emergency situations. It's a lot better than it used to be with the optional levels to descend that increase the chance of rune generation as well as horrifying monsters and the exits show up pretty quickly after you get the rune. I don't know, I guess I just don't hate it as much as some people! I get that it can be tedious though.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

LordSloth posted:

I do like it much better than old abyss.

I do take advantage of the depth more than I should, i find that exceptionally helpful for my attention span.

When looking for the rune I tend to go to abyss:4, since I don't have the patience for 3, and 5 just causes me to bail beforehand.

Sometimes I even dive down a bit when I'm just trying to escape.

I don't know whether it's actually good or just a battered wife syndrome, but I think it isn't so bad. At the very least I rank it above getting particularly unlucky with a minotaur's labyrinth in terms of fun.

Yeah, there's this franticness to it all when you get banished at a low level and you're burning consumables and running and hiding and just trying to make it to an exit and you have to decide whether to head down some stairs that will make things harder but increase the likelihood of escape. Abyss 4 is a pretty good middleground.

Labyrinths are tons of fun and like Wizard portals or any other timed vault I become focused to the point of borderline suicidal behaviour in trying to locate them before the timer goes away. God help you if you don't have a scroll of magic mapping and you have to not only rely on the hot/cold messages, but also the RNG gods to not throw so much crap at you that you get overwhelmed trying to track it down.

But at the risk of pissing people off, I think Labyrinths are mostly too easy. I love them, but it's rare that the minotaur is any trouble and food is never an issue.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

PleasingFungus posted:

After the very early game, there's basically no reason not to have your buffs (stoneskin/ozo's/cshield/etc) up constantly, but it's a real pain to keep recasting your buffs whenever they go down. The rmsl/dmsl redesign from a while back was one attempt to fix that, but that's its own can of worms - people taking off their armour to renew their buffs, then putting it back on...

None of these are "hypothetical" optimal problems, to be clear; they're all problems that you run into whenever you play with charms, and then you get to choose how much you want to compromise between "most effective character" and "minimum player annoyance".

We've known this was a problem for years now, but coming up with a good solution is harder. There's one approach that I think might finally have enough support to go in - it's not perfect but it's probably better than what we have now.

Workshop it with us. We're all calm, rational players from diverse groups, PleasingFungus.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

FireSight posted:

Demonic Guardians can keep almost anyone alive, because you keep getting friendly summons when the odds are against you.

I've never gotten demonic guardian 3 in all my demonspawn runs. I guess it'd be pretty cool to have your own fiends and hellions? Powered by death is my favourite.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Internet Kraken posted:

Iguanas are actually fairly dangerous melee combatants when encountered early in the dungeon so you probably should of either avoided it, weakened it from range, or buffed yourself in some way. I'm not trying to sound condescending when I say that either. Iguanas are deceptively strong.

Walking away from an enemy is really only reliable as a preemptive measure, cause creating a gap between you and them is very difficult when you're just relying on energy variance. You might be able to wedge a weak enemy between you and them, but you could also end up sandwiching yourself between two enemies instead which is a death sentence. A random teleport is good to use when combat goes that poorly, or even a scroll of blinking if you're really going to die.

Iguanas are just another one of those monsters that veterans know how to treat accordingly and that new players will only figure out about after they've been screwed over by them. Other examples off the top of my head include centaur warriors, killer bees, water nymphs, hydras... I don't know, it's just there are tons of monsters that you never find out how terrifying they are and how to beat them until you've had your rear end beat by them a bunch of times. And some guys like Mennas remain terrifying to this day.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

PleasingFungus posted:

Yes.

They're so much more fun after they lost their old sickness bite, because it meant people finally noticed that they're terrifying glass cannons. Huge damage to defense ratio.

Hydras [especially lerny] and ettins also fall into this category. Fun monsters, all...

Ha, I almost forgot about sickness as a mechanic. Random stat drops, non-HP regen... lots of fun!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Sage Grimm posted:

You don't venture into the Abyss often then. The ancient zyme has that mechanic, increasing the duration the more you stay in it's Line of Sight. It is a Good Enemy.

I haven't been banished in a while and by the time I usually pop in on my own I am in the position to murder most things quickly. I honestly forgot zymes had a sickness attack because I was too busy worrying about wretched stars and Neqoxecs.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Floodkiller posted:

As always, acquirement pulls through.

code:
the -6 hat of the Dice (worn) {rC- rCorr Int+3}.

Jesus, that is a dog poo poo artifact. Almost hilariously bad.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

ZeeToo posted:

Wand work!

Draining and Fireball have been replaced by Acid and Iceblast. Acid does -8 AC to the target, non-stacking, in addition to acid damage.
Iceblast is Fireball + Throw Icicle; it's Fireball AoE with Throw Icicle's element and partial irresistability.
Also, confuse and enslave wands won't generate quite so early, to give low-MR starts breathing room.

These are cooooolllll and like someone else said, now you can go after those orc warriors or assholes that managed to slap on some insane armour without feeling like you're just tickling them for a hundred turns.

Is this the start of the long-awaited acid school spell branch???

quote:

Now please replace Flame and Magic Dart wands with something remotely interesting. Like a Wand of Shards that functions kinda like exploding darts/bullets/etc when zapped. I'd use that on adders and stuff all the time.

Yes, please!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Person Dyslexic posted:

Wizard is such an awesome starting background. I had taken a long time off to mess with skalds because I love them like no other but decided on a whim to murder some poor wizards and holy crap are they versatile. Flame cloud, imps and meph will carry you through so much poo poo as long as you are patient and it always feels great to down a hill giant at level 6 with a swarm of angry imps biting off its ankles while it bumps into a wall before finally hitting itself in the face.

I'm a big fan of the tight hallway + mephitic cloud + conjure flame and then hoping A) he gets confused and B) doesn't confuse himself into smashing into me. This strategy works for a lot of monsters in my opinion! Similar variant is the waiting until monster comes into vision and then building a pathway of fire as you move away and they bum rush their way closer and closer into you. Useful for hydras, yaks, skeletons/zombies etc.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

rj54x posted:

The "Double Melee Damage" thing a while back significantly decreased difficulty for a while.

I still didn't ascend anybody while that was active :fail:

I may have abused that accidentally with an already stacked Demonspawn that just sliced and diced his way through zig after zig. :black101:

I think the first quality of life change that I was immensely grateful for was the changes to piety and unless I'm misremembering from 10+ years ago, how you had hit "P" to be basically in prayer mode so that the poo poo you did actually got you points from your god for doing it.

And no one has mentioned starting off with a boot knife rather than having to pick up a dagger on Floor 1 to cut up a tasty rat and finding it's a cursed -2 one that you're stuck with unless you just do the smart thing and restart!

After that the corrosion and item weight were huge.

Still mad about how nothing has been done about rMut/malmutate. It's undoubtedly the most frustrating part of crawl at the moment and is actually making me not want to play.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Angry Diplomat posted:

Replace Malmutate with a Bolt of Corruption that does minor to moderate damage, causes contam, and has a chance to corrupt with temporary mutations like those rear end in a top hat stars in the Abyss. Make high contam a bit more likely to malmutate, and specifically much more likely to cement a level of a temporary mutation and render it permanent. Better not go carelessly spamming Haste and cBlink around them Orbs of Fire!

This is a Very Good Idea. I like it because A) it's an attack that can be dodged/deflected (if that's what you're intending with the bolt descriptor) B) if you get hit with it it it doesn't punish you immediately per se but makes things worse and worse, compounding player failure to get out of the situation. But it also gives you a buffer to deal with it as opposed to turning a corner and getting a lovely look from a shining eye and ending up with teleportitis.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Darox posted:

Suggestions that involve replacing malmut with contam aren't that good, contam is an awful mechanic.

This on the other hand is a good one.

Did you know Cacodemons have hexes? I never remember because by the time I am fighting them in Pan they can never affect me.

I'm too busy dodging their mutations to worry about their hexes but I can't say I've ever noticed it.

The variation on contam that is being proposed is that if it hits high enough levels you'll get temporary bad ones a la wretched stars and if you keep that level contam up there's a chance those lovely temporary mutations can become lovely permanent ones. Instead of regular contamination which just fucks you over with a perma-malmutate (and/or stat drop? I cannot recall) after sufficient build up.

Why do you dislike contamination as a mechanic though? Doesn't it encourage people not control blinking all over the place and casting haste willy-nilly?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

IronicDongz posted:

Then after combat people will wait for it to wear off completely, then cast it again before exploring.

Why not just have it like deflect missiles where you cannot recast it until it has been burned away by enemies but rather than having a steady effect it actually degrades in quality as you take damage? Could even make you speed up gradually as it gets corroded.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Internet Kraken posted:

In trunk Orc got changed so that all the orcs are at least warriors or above so I don't think going there early is a good idea anymore

Why is no one talking about this?? it's an insane change! Orc just got way more difficult and is no longer the obvious choice for an early second branch.

Does this mean the odds of encountering knights and warlords and sorcerers just increased dramatically too?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Prism posted:

It happened last year, so if you haven't noticed it didn't make that much of a difference. (December 12, specifically.)

As I recall, though plain orcs don't get chosen for generation, they still do generate as escorts to other orcs - unless I'm misremembering real badly? I haven't actually played much since the last tournament.

I need to update/play more :(

Still think it's scary, considering how safe Orc was for the most part for most characters and now there's way more risk considering the various nasty things that non-Warrior types can get up to.

I like it :getin:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Or fumigating with deadly clouds and then summoning the corpses back as animated monsters...

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

I have fifteen runed mummies twice and yes, they are horrible and their early-mid game is a slog to say the least, but if you can grind through it and essentially cheese your way by abusing no hunger and sif channeling, they become hilarious in the late game.

The main reason I dislike mummies is because I don't get any of my precious precious mutations, one of the most fun aspects to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

ThermosAquaticus posted:

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.18-a0-1300-g6e8322c (webtiles) character file.

ThermosAquaticus the Lord of Darkness (MuNe)       Turns: 44686, Time: 03:16:19

Health: 120/120    AC: 34    Str: 17    XL:     16   Next: 67%
Magic:  29/29      EV: 17    Int: 31    God:    Kikubaaqudgha [******]
Gold:   1504       SH:  3    Dex: 35    Spells: 8 memorised, 10 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis +    a - +9 lajatang (pain)
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    j - +13 chain mail "Cozy" {*Corrode Str+4 Int+3 Dex+9}
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    (shield currently unavailable)
rPois  ∞          Spirit   .    I - +4 hat of Ucsonobruc {Int+3}
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    G - -2 cloak of Existentialism {rElec rF+ Dex+6}
rCorr  +          Reflect  +    p - +2 pair of gloves of Tuenoaf {rF+++ rN++ rCorr Stlth-}
SustAt .          Harm     .    i - +2 pair of boots
MR     ++...                    L - +3 amulet of reflection
Stlth  ..........               w - +5 ring of intelligence
                                C - ring "Gaochaxt" {rCorr *Drain Dex+8 Slay+5 SInv}
Mummies are actually good, you guys. I swear it.

drat! That gear!

Even the neg traits on them are mild at worst.

• Locked thread