Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Might as well link the full changelog somewhere on the first page

edit: also while the removal of CTele is important the removal of -CTele is just about moreso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Stealth is really good in the Abyss

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

World Famous Whore posted:

Out of curiosity, if I were to change teams after I had already got some scoring done would it transfer to the new team?
The only team that matters is the team you're on when teams lock on Saturday 14 November at 7pm UTC. You can switch at will until then and not switch anymore after that.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Fhqwhgads posted:

Once you get a GSC up and running, I'm going to assume that's what you should use all your enchant weapon scrolls on? Still not sure about going eveningstar+shield (if I find one) or GSC with Qaz.
Yes, a heavily-enchanted GSC is great. Not using GSC as an ogre is a bit silly to me if you are going to melee stuff anyway. You can't spam Qaz abilities like Makhleb's lesser destruction (last I checked) so you need a reliable way to kill stuff that's not "kite it through clouds forever" and doesn't cost any piety. Base damage is so important that giving up 1/3 of your base damage is hard to justify. I mean, it's rather unlikely you'll find an eveningstar before a dragon armour in any given game, and while dragon armours don't solve all of an ogre's defense problem, they go a good way.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Thug Lessons posted:

You can get eveningstars fairly early and easily with a scroll of acquirement.
I tested in wizmode and got 1 eveningstar at 16 M&F/2.4 shields (OgFi shields skill level). Out of 100 acquirements.

At 22/9 I got 21. Exact chances are confounded by acquirement's desire to give you weapons you haven't seen but "easily" is a vast overstatement. You can't even count on it with Oka or Trog.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

I'll take having to put on another piece of MR+ gear in the lategame for having all the fire resist I'll ever need on one piece of gear.
Why don't you just wear FDA then

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Which would do more damage in extended; a +9 lajatang of speed with +5 slaying or a holy one?
Speed is about a 50% increase in damage, holy about 75% vs. vulnerable stuff. +5 is less than 25% of your total damage if you have weapon skill, fighting, or stats of any kind.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Fhqwhgads posted:

Was there a change that makes unseen horrors spawn below D:10? I thought that was the cutoff. I'm being attacked by my third and I'm only on D:9 :(
That's never been the case:

quote:

3836 games for * (killer=unseen_horror recent): 1263x D:10, 512x D:11, 394x D:9, 343x D:7, 336x D:8, 279x D:6, 184x Abyss:1, 155x D:5, 145x D:12, 45x D:13, 38x Abyss:2, 23x Lab, 22x D:15, 21x D:14, 19x Abyss:3, 15x D:1, 9x D:4, 9x D:2, 8x Lair:1, 5x Abyss:4, 3x Abyss:5, 3x Vaults:1, 3x D:3, Lair:2, Orc:1
Now, a lot of those very shallow deaths are probably people either MuCK scumming and getting OOD spawns or fleeing and being chased across multiple levels. But OOD spawns are always possible and there's a specific vault with... food or something behind a runed door with glass next to it so that you can "see" that there's no danger, definitely not, these skeletal remains are probably not the fresh kills of an invisible monster.

You also have the dungeon geometry upside down! D:10 is below D:9, not the other way around!

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Beware the porcupines

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I like that there are tiles that affect different characters differently.

Remove ring of flight, introduce bird form. Shrike form. Yes.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Not My Leg posted:

Just learned something new. Apparently equipping Stasis will clear the 'slow' status, but also give you yellow contamination. Really glad I had already IDed cancellation before I equip IDed Stasis after berserking.
If I recall correctly it also helpfully emits an ear-piercing screech at the same time.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Dee Ehm posted:

Opposite in fact, I'd say. You can't worship her without spells,
I'm pretty sure they removed that restriction

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

It's OK to have difficulty though

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

As I understand it, if the spell is castable at 50% success, the ghost can have the spell. Monsters don't have spell success, even player ghosts, although some (monsters, not ghosts) have useless cantrips that act a lot like harmless miscasts.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

You want options, let me tell you about demigod wanderers...

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

It probably depends on how eager you were for sacrifice versus keeping permafood around; not everyone sacrificed equally, so it can't be the same outcome for everyone after sacrifice is gone.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

DDBe is easier than DDFi, but DD Makhleb tip: lesser destruction doesn't hurt and you have +3 invocations aptitude. Also, major destruction hurts, but hurts less than a turn in melee with a hydra.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Don't disrespect lesser destruction's damage. If you go hard on invocations you can use it as your main damage source at least to a rune.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Last time I fsimd it, speed was better than everything except holy vs demons and undead, and not much worse than that. Given gscs' tendency to overkill there's a definite advantage to skullcrusher.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Ankuses and Sludge Elves as far as the eye could see

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Learning a skill is like making love: first, you make a pile of bodies, then you perform a rote mechanical task over and over, and then you're done

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Hidden doors still exist you just never find them

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Heithinn Grasida posted:

-What exactly are the proposed changes to charms? Other than just removing them all, of course. I'm apprehensive that the devs will go mad with power and mess up my favorite character archetype. I do think the way Crawl handles buffs is outdated and needlessly cumbersome, but the problems aren't nearly bad enough as to require such a radical solution as just removing all buffs entirely!
I think they're going to be combined with Hexes into one school called "Enchantments"

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

What about a MAX_HEADS headed hydra simulacrum against a rC- enemy?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Indeed, vulnerability is essentially binary. If you're at rF- and get that debuff, the only change is that it would take two rF sources to get you to rF= (neither resistant nor vulnerable).

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Can Of Worms posted:

Wand of Heal Wounds doesn't depend on Evocations power. It's a fixed amount.
Eh, it's a random amount with fixed parameters. IIRC it calls the same code as quaffing heal wounds does.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

World Famous W posted:

It also makes searching for anything with an 'o' in it a pain as it will do things like 'amcour' on searches. Just got to get into the habit of all caps searches.
Looking for love (in all the wrong cases?)

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Like the Amulet of Air {Inacc, rElec, EV+5, rMsl, +Fly}, or unlike it?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Orv posted:

Stupid newbie question; I don't have rPois or a weapon upgrade, Lair seems like a bad idea, should I carefully do Orc first in hopes of upgrades on both points, go deeper in dungeon?
rPois is not necessary for Lair. Scary lair enemies aren't scary because they are poisonous, and poisonous creatures don't come in packs in Lair (except for possible Naga entrance vault but Naga are slow so just run away). It will maybe cost you a curing potion here or there if you have to melee a black mamba or spiny frog starting at less than good health. Just Do Lair.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

BigFactory, one big reason no one rests to recharge evocables is that their recharge is experience-based.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Philip Rivers posted:

Why not have it so always-on buffs just temporarily lower your max MP? Like you have 30 max MP and you put up rMsl and now your MP is 28 (30) until you take it off?
I think the biggest reason is that this has essentially no cost to hybrids but makes trouble for more dedicated wizards, when it should really be the other way around.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Just watch some cerebov vs hobgoblin snuff arenas

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Giant spiked clubs are always à la mode

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

jerkstoresup posted:

How do I disable weapon autopickups as an unarmed character?
Are you picking up e.g. tomahawks and throwing weapons or ammo? Use the \ menu.

If you're grabbing random weapons yeah that's a custom configuration, link to your rcfile and maybe someone will figure out what's doing it.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I was trying to look that up and it looks like strength weight weapon property is completely gone?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

If I'm reading right all weapons get the same bonus from stats, which is (38+1d(Str-11))/39

Stones get half bonus from Throwing skill

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Mystery Prize posted:

What is the damage of large rocks based off of? Is it pure strength + throwing skill + fighting, or is it str + dex + skills?
Rock damage property, throwing skill, strength, fighting skill, slaying, and whether you're a shadow or not

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

What should I play next, I wonder? I kind of want to go Invocations-heavy; I've never really done much of that.
Have you tried Demonspawn of Makhleb?

Angry Diplomat posted:

Sidenote: some guy came in and started rudely spamming predictions of my splat when he saw me heavily Sapped, out of mp, at <60hp, surrounded by heavy hitters, in range of tormentors and hellfirers, and contaminated. I quaffed brilliance, evoked my cloak of the Thief, teleported into an equally bad situation, evoked Wucad Mu, cBlinked my way to the escape portal, and told him I didn't like his defeatist attitude :smug:
I think you spoiled his Schadenfreude-gasm

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I found that the best way to improve my win rate was to care about my win rate, but then I discovered that the best way to have fun was to not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I find the best way to improve my win rate is to not play demonspawn because every single drat one I start ends up with foul stench and I want some other drat mutations goddamnit! Suicide would improve my fun, but toughing it out might improve my win rate. What to do?
DsCK for guaranteed fun of course!

• Locked thread