Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

Haven't played Crawl in years, and every time I see a strange new thread title like this I'm inspired to give a go at actually getting through it.

It's a strange game where you can say that it gets easier and harder at the same time with each new version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Why were you on the 5th floor?

edit: You died with a crapload of consumables available to you, and you had 15 in Spellcasting and 18 in Charms but no charms aside from Haste. There are a lot of really useful low-level charms that would have helped you.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
That character is was more than diesel enough to handle 15 runes, you just have to be cognizant of how many consumables and resources you have at your disposal and to make sure that you start using them before you get into trouble.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Every thread or so I'm reminded that there it's a version of crawl with mouse support. The devs should implement mousing in console crawl.

I think this would be more complicated to do than you'd think considering webtiles is, as far as I know, an overlay on the ASCII version.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah okay sure Crawl. Why not.

That MR- probably hurts more than the rF+++ helps.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Floodkiller posted:

A bunch of changes just hit thanks to the tournament ending. Here's some interesting ones (to me, anyway):

While I appreciate the summary I dunno why people keep on linking to the commits instead of the commitdiffs, which would let people see what code was actually changed. Ultimately a minor annoyance since the link to the diffs are right there on the page.

?noise will still work just fine for Elf 3 murderholes, it just makes clearing the rest of the level before you set up the hole a bit more dangerous, and makes the vault itself a bit less dangerous. Overall a good change.

No real opinion on the rest aside from spark wasps. I'm excited for spark wasps.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

PleasingFungus posted:

that particular interaction is probably going to be a shortlived unfeature, fwiw.

Has there been any progress on the long-discussed splitting of consumables into tactical and strategical categories?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I've been away for so long! There are so many changes!!

I see there are two new gods, and Pakellas apparently got added to trunk? What about Wulndraste?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Any tips on using Pakellas? I got a HuGl^P to the Lair and have been doing pretty well so far -- though munching on a sky beast gave me 3 MP per wand charge, gonna have to get rid of that somehow. Most of his abilities seem pretty self-explanatory, and I always loved the Evoker playstyle and am glad that there's actually a god that supports that now. But what should I be keeping an eye out for to supercharge? Which rods are good nowadays? I see a lot of the classic wands have been replaced with more unique versions.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Abyss is significantly easier than Vaults, but it does require a certain approach or you get torn apart by its pitfalls. I've done Abyssal and/or Slimy in place of Silver frequently.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Scaramouche posted:

Added wrinkle, I kind of have to do it next since I usually convert to Zin for Tomb/Abyss/Extended, and he doesn't like it if you cut up corpses to get their skins.

Unless something's changed recently, I thought Zin only doesn't like it if you chop up intelligent creatures. Monsters and beasts are fair game.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Still got it, even after half a year away :c00l:

Brannock the Sensei (L27 DsMo), worshipper of Cheibriados, escaped with the Orb and 4 runes, with 2672896 points after 56990 turns and 3:30:12.

Claws 3 and Flaming Blood make for a great combination and of course Chei turns you into a superhuman blender.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Floodkiller posted:

Why do I never get to find and have fun with the broken stuff before it gets removed :argh:

I remember in the 0.16 tournament getting a 6-win streak, by far my best streak, then finding out that it was because of melee damage being doubled and everyone writing their own suspicions off because "confirmation bias"

I had a lot of fun with the streak and was proud of it, and I was really disappointed to find out that it was largely because of Broken Stuff :(

I suppose intentionally getting to screw around with broken bugs would be fun though!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
What exactly does miasma do to enemies? Got Foul Stench on my current demonspawn.

Was enemy movement AI changed? I notice that if I'm hiding behind a corner, and a monster is roughly about 3 or 4 tiles away, they'll perpetually pop in and out of FOW without ever actually approaching me.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
code:
#####
 o #@
o
If I'm waiting at the @ position, the orc foo will alternate between both 'o' positions in the diagram and never actually approach adjacent to me. This seems to happen most consistently with monsters with ranged attacks, even if they prefer melee. It made clearing out Snake Pit and Elf really annoying.

If I step away from the corner, or move further backwards, this seems to break the loop and the monster will approach me until it's adjacent to me (stopping occasionally to toss spells at me).

Taking advantage of corners is part of how I do well with Chei so this has made my runs somewhat rougher than before. I think this might have something to do with ranged-attack monsters taking the long way around corners, which is also something I've noticed.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Reproduced it again with a satyr in Shoals. Even though he's out of ammunition he just sticks there in a loop playing his song over and over.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Racked up another win, my 40th Cheibriados win.

Not much notable about this one, other than that I found a +4 quarterstaff of crushing early on, figured I'd go into lajatang, and trudged through Snake Pit and Shoals bashing things to death. After a bit into Vaults I gave up and just went and found an executioner's axe from the Hall of Blades, enchanted it up, and laid waste to everything I saw before me. Cleaving and Cheibriados makes for a great combination, you reduce the amount of incoming damage very quickly.

Of course, once I got Axes up to about 20~, I went and did Elf: 3 and found a +10 lajatang of flaming with +MR on it. :sigh: That's Crawl for ya

Anyway, Cheibriados is really good and the trick with him seems to be getting over that early game piety hump as quickly as possible (Orc is good for this), then trucking over everything and staying ahead of the power curve for the entire game. There's a bunch of minor stuff that you can do to optimize (train dodging early, learn the idiosyncrasies of Temporal Distortion, learn to abuse corners, go for heavy armor and weapons as soon as feasible) but the biggest thing is just getting to high piety quickly.

I'll probably aim for Great Demonspawn next.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Does an amulet of harm boost deterministic damage like Slouch?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

PleasingFungus posted:

(b) what do you mean by 'deterministic'?

Slouch and a few other sources of damage are 'fixed' and not able to be boosted in any way by stats/skills, or reduced, right? It's probably a bad word to use for Slouch since it's based on speed differential.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Oh good, tileschat. Howler monkeys need a new tile. Shadow imps are really hard to make out against the Dungeon floor tiles. That's about it from me!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Speaking of mutation roulette, it seems like the rMut mutation blocks further mutations from !mut or %mut. Am I just imagining it?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Darox posted:

When did killer bees lose the mindless ai? Because that's a pretty huge change for the early game. That makes fatal bee encounters even more likely.

December 1, 2015, as part of the intelligence simplifications

quote:

Give insects animal intelligence

With the various intelligence levels being merged, "animal" intelligence seems
a bit more fitting than labelling them entirely mindless. Allowing Elyvilon
pacification to affect insects again is probably the most noticeable effect of
changing their intelligence, and that's probably fine since Elyvilon has had
significant changes since being prevented from pacifying mindless monsters.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Angry Diplomat posted:

Shield of Reflection + Amulet of Reflection should cause blocked melee attacks to stagger attackers, throwing them off balance and opening them up to distraction stabs.

:darksouls:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Will Hellfire graphics be changed from purple-red to black-whatever to match Damnation flavor?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I really like all these flavor improvements.

Also impossible names are the essence of Crawl at this point, please keep making more impossible names. They aren't that hard either once you get used to them.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

That one's been a long time coming.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Basic ammo being infinite, but not special ammo, would be okay I think.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
You could even step down the damage of basic ammo to make up for it -- wooden bolts and arrows are just going to mostly splinter on impact -- and for high AC enemies switch in your steel or penetrating ammo, which would be very slightly more common to make up for needing to use them more often to make up for your damage.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Yeah, the other issues are that ranged weapons just aren't really that exciting and don't bring much to the table that magic doesn't (aside from not being restricted by MP) and that having ranged weapons do comparable damage to melee attacks breaks a lot of fundamentals of Crawl encounters. Magic, especially ranged conjurations, have multiple constraining features built into it that make it a real tradeoff to invest into.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
All mutations are baseline tempmuts, if you get repeatedly tempmut'd, a random selection of your temporary mutations become permanent.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
:confused: Dire Elephants are basically free XP.

I guess I primarily play melee monsters though. Do casters have trouble with the dire elephant endings?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Teleportation isn't so bad, especially if you're ready to read another tele scroll the same turn you land into a bad situation. Fog scrolls also help if you land within vision of several nasties.

Zot traps are a little overrated IMO.

I don't think it needs to be removed. It makes Zot 5 a lot more tense and exciting, even if you've already been there two dozen times.

The real nasty situation is if both bottlenecks had alarm traps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Why are demon whips considered better than morningstars? Is it just because of the low skill investment?

They swing much more quickly.

• Locked thread