Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm enjoying the crap out of Morland, but I have to say, it's kind of conspicuous that Mycroft hasn't even been mentioned. I didn't really like the Mycroft episodes but hasn't Holmes even considered that it could be a factor in what's going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

e: I think Mycroft wasn't a big hit with the viewing audience.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Probably because Rhys Ifans ended up seeming gross and weird.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Pick posted:

Probably because Rhys Ifans ended up seeming gross and weird.
One of the early posts in the S3 thread contained a list of good and bad things the poster thought about the show, and the one bad thing listed was "mycroft is gross go away mycroft". My wife and I binged the series before this season to get me caught up, and we still refer to Mycroft as "mycroft is gross go away mycroft" every time we feel the need to mention him. (Fake edit: I just checked and it was your post. :v: So thank you for that.)

I gotta say, I'm really liking this season so far, but the best part has to be the sheer number of ways Sherlock is finding to creatively insult his dad. The writers have got to be enjoying making those up.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Pick posted:

I'm enjoying the crap out of Morland, but I have to say, it's kind of conspicuous that Mycroft hasn't even been mentioned.
Morland obviously knows he isn't dead.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Really enjoyed the absurdly long, uninterrupted shot of Sherlock meticulously vacuum-sealing a mountain of food for Clyde.

Also was I the only one who expected Dad Holmes to make a deal with the billionaire lady to turn the monkey habitat into a parking lot.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

A Morland and Moriarty scene would be amazing. He's probably the only person in the world who scares her. He's her, but he does it so well that he's legit.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

wiegieman posted:

A Morland and Moriarty scene would be amazing. He's probably the only person in the world who scares her. He's her, but he does it so well that he's legit.

Have them collide and Sherlock choose between them :getin:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I can't decide if Morland is being genuine or not. I'm leaning towards not because everyone always comes back to hurt Sherlock.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Loved the Thursday Night Football jab, and the last two episodes have confirmed my initial thought that Morland is Mycroft done right. Lots of ways they can go with his character.

Maybe Mycroft died on the way back to his home planet.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Blind Pineapple posted:

Maybe Mycroft died on the way back to his home planet.

Obviously he will get plastic surgery while hiding from the French mob and come back as a not gross man.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.
Confession time: I kind of liked Mycroft. Was he attractive? No. Was he, at times, a lying sack of poo poo? Yes. But I really liked his and Sherlock's relationship, and that makes up for a lot.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Still Fluxing posted:

Confession time: I kind of liked Mycroft. Was he attractive? No. Was he, at times, a lying sack of poo poo? Yes. But I really liked his and Sherlock's relationship, and that makes up for a lot.

I think I would have liked his presence on the show a whole lot more if not for him sleeping with Watson. Just felt like a weird decision, and the extra sibling drama it created didn't really seem worth it.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

ShakeZula posted:

I think I would have liked his presence on the show a whole lot more if not for him sleeping with Watson. Just felt like a weird decision, and the extra sibling drama it created didn't really seem worth it.
Yeah, same here. I never got any sense from the show that Watson was attracted to him, which made them sleeping together feel really forced and slightly creepy on Mycroft's part. It also didn't help that Lucy Liu looks fairly young compared to him, though apparently the actors are close in age.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Yeah Mycroft and Sherlock had great chemistry, Mycroft and Watson not so much. They didn't even seem like friends, much less lovers. More like two people forced to talk to each other due to their close proximity to a mutual third party.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
I feel like Mycroft's lack of appeal was due to that mustache. Rhys Ifans either needs to be clean shaven or full beard to have any appeal.

examples:

beard

no beard

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
How about a haircut done by someone who wasn't British?

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

He looked a lot like he did in Nothing Hill, so it was kind of hard to take him serious as a love interest. Apparently personality counts for a lot for Watson!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Looking up Morland and his actor led me to this. Holy poo poo, it's old, but that's some cute stuff.

http://uproxx.com/tv/2013/10/twitter-war-sleepy-hollow-writers-vs-elementary-writers/

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Yeah, same here. I never got any sense from the show that Watson was attracted to him, which made them sleeping together feel really forced and slightly creepy on Mycroft's part. It also didn't help that Lucy Liu looks fairly young compared to him, though apparently the actors are close in age.

I think Watson is supposed to be considerably younger than Liu though. I remember in one episode Sherlock asks her if she plans to have children in the future and she's quite non-committal about it, like she has plenty of time to worry about it later.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

I think Watson is supposed to be considerably younger than Liu though. I remember in one episode Sherlock asks her if she plans to have children in the future and she's quite non-committal about it, like she has plenty of time to worry about it later.

Liu herselfonly just had a kid between seasons.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Pick posted:

Liu herselfonly just had a kid between seasons.

She used a surrogate though - and even if she hadn't, still being able to have a child in your mid-forties is quite different from being that age and considering it something you can just think about in a few years time.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

There was a new ep tonight.

Joan gets a dumb subplot that I hope doesn't come back.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Pan Dulce posted:

Looking up Morland and his actor led me to this. Holy poo poo, it's old, but that's some cute stuff.

http://uproxx.com/tv/2013/10/twitter-war-sleepy-hollow-writers-vs-elementary-writers/

Also found this promo, for a combo block of Elementary and Person of Interest.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

darthbob88 posted:

Also found this promo, for a combo block of Elementary and Person of Interest.

They totally should of had Bear be next to Finch when he said that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Wait, what was the return favor for the contract for then?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Pick posted:

Wait, what was the return favor for the contract for then?

Trading/selling the embryos, I think.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
By the way, as someone who has articulated skeletons, lol at the idea you could even do that step in one night, much less flesh and bleach the loving thing.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

Pick posted:

By the way, as someone who has articulated skeletons, lol at the idea you could even do that step in one night, much less flesh and bleach the loving thing.

Maybe our murderer was just a lot more motivated than you are. :colbert:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Pick posted:

I haven't ever done that, and I was pretty sceptical of that bit. It seems like common sense should tell you that that is a huge job that would take way too long.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

So Lucy Liu turned 47 today.

how the gently caress does that even work I mean seriously

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BreakAtmo posted:

Aging? :confused:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

BreakAtmo posted:

:stare:

She's a vampire

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I take it nobody remembered there was a new episode?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I remembered

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Watching it right now and... the crime was done over (a marginally different but very obvious version of) ET for the Atari 2600?? This is a weird episode concept, jeez.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Dragonatrix posted:

Watching it right now and... the crime was done over (a marginally different but very obvious version of) ET for the Atari 2600?? This is a weird episode concept, jeez.
OR WAS IT????

I can't believe that the Atari landfill was a fakeout for some good old toxic waste dumping.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dragonatrix posted:

It feels like the writers have done something very smart and to keep the episodes novel and "hard to figure out"; they always use a component of some news article or cutting-edge thing. It doesn't solve the mystery but it adds a new "rule" that other mysteries haven't used yet, or had to use differently.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Poor Alfredo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

buddhanc posted:

Poor Alfredo

But he does look younger without that beard.

• Locked thread