Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

HookShot posted:

it's explaining completely obvious poo poo to the audience.
That's really just a hazard of the genre. The best writers make it look like a magic trick, leaving the audience utterly confused until the reveal when everything falls into place. Less good writers have to explain stuff along the way, and since you can't address the audience directly you have to have one character explain things to another that they should already understand.

ZZZorcerer posted:

I like this adaptation take on Watson
So do I. I think she's a really good character.

HookShot posted:

Elementary is way worse than any other that I watch, and I watch The Blacklist, which is objectively The Worst Show on TV Right Now.
I find that hard to believe. I haven't watched much of The Blacklist, but it's worse than Arrow? Worse than The Vampire Diaries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Tiggum posted:

That's really just a hazard of the genre. The best writers make it look like a magic trick, leaving the audience utterly confused until the reveal when everything falls into place. Less good writers have to explain stuff along the way, and since you can't address the audience directly you have to have one character explain things to another that they should already understand.

I find that hard to believe. I haven't watched much of The Blacklist, but it's worse than Arrow? Worse than The Vampire Diaries?

The blacklist is an incredibly bad show that basically exists as a vehicle for James Spader to be smug on a tv screen, far worse than arrow which is still a good show. It can't be the worst thing on TV in a Universe where Scorpion exists and keeps getting renewed though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This show is pretty twisty and it's not uncommon for people to ask for clarifications here, in this thread. I normally get it but I've gone back to re-watch scenes before (thanks, iTunes!)

Watson is still intelligent and capable, and part of what I like about Elementary versus Sherlock is that the characters actually have to communicate what they're thinking.

It's been a long time since Moriarty, they played this one really well. Long game indeed :toot:.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Tiggum posted:

It's more that I find with Elementary they explain things that are completely obvious, then re-explain them in the most obvious terms, and it comes off as super forced, fake and condescending.

Like, don't get me wrong, I know exactly that this is how TV shows work, especially procedurals, but Elementary does it way, way more, and much more obviously (which comes off as bad writing) than other shows. Even while watching procedurals that are entertaining but not that good, and definitely worse than Elementary, like Hawaii Five-0, they aren't nearly as obvious about the fact that they're just openly explaining to the audience what just happened.

quote:

To be fair I watch neither Arrow nor The Vampire Diaries, but I would be willing to wager that The Blacklist is worse than both. The whole thread is basically just filled with people who hate-watch the show while hanging out for the James Spader bits. Including me.

The Lord Bude posted:

The blacklist is an incredibly bad show that basically exists as a vehicle for James Spader to be smug on a tv screen, far worse than arrow which is still a good show. It can't be the worst thing on TV in a Universe where Scorpion exists and keeps getting renewed though.
I dunno, the show where a nuclear explosion in Houston or whatever was contained by throwing the car the bomb was in into the water next to the dock was pretty up there on the top 5 dumbest things I have ever seen on TV.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Maera Sior posted:

Anyone else jump to Moriarty as soon as we got to the "Bomb a meeting, profit off stocks" plot?

Yap.

My dream Moriarty vs Morland showdown might happen :neckbeard:

then Sherlock has to choose between them :twisted:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Moriarty and Morland get married :iamafag:.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Maera Sior posted:

Anyone else jump to Moriarty as soon as we got to the "Bomb a meeting, profit off stocks" plot?

Yeah, but I was thinking that was too obvious for a while because it's an almost exact retread of the end of Season 1.

.....Totally worth it, though.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

I think watching a show about Sherlock Holmes and complaining about smug exposition is kind of like watching an MMA pay per view and complaining that they keep hitting each other.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Tiggum posted:

It went from B-grade television puffed up by James Spader's Spadering to In Which James Spader Receives A Regular Paycheck.

After the writing hit --

Keen: "Red's been shot!"

Man #1: "Getting shot's bad!"

-- levels of quality, I bailed. It's unwatchable.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

The only reason to watch Blacklist is those scenes where Red tells a folksy anecdote to someone he's either about to a) brutally murder or b) explain his brilliant plan to offscreen. That's it. Everything else is garbage.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Maera Sior posted:

I jumped there as soon as they gave Game of Thrones a shout. Figured that was the price for getting an episode out of Natalie Dormer.

The plot is very similar to the Macedonian currency scam from S1, but I really only care about Moriarty interacting with Sherlock, Joan, and Morland.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Maera Sior posted:

Yep. That was my first thought as well.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

HookShot posted:

I dunno, the show where a nuclear explosion in Houston or whatever was contained by throwing the car the bomb was in into the water next to the dock was pretty up there on the top 5 dumbest things I have ever seen on TV.

Not as dumb as the show where a ferrari had to drive really fast below a low flying plane so that people in the plane could pass an ethernet cable down to a woman with a laptop in the Ferrari so they could unhack the plane while the plane and the ferrari were running along tethered by ethernet cable.

This happened in the pilot, and every successive episode got worse from there until I quit by episode 5.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 26, 2016

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The Lord Bude posted:

Not as dumb as the show where a ferrari had to drive really fast below a low flying plane so that people in the plane could pass an ethernet cable down to a woman with a laptop in the Ferrari so they could unhack the plane while the plane and the ferrari were running along tethered by ethernet cable.

This happened in the pilot, and every successive episode got worse from there until I quit by episode 5.

Holy poo poo.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

thrawn527 posted:

Holy poo poo.
No, seriously, that happened.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

I need to see this.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

The Lord Bude posted:

Well, yeah, of course it's going to get worse from there.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Oh I didn't doubt it. But my post still stands.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

The Lord Bude posted:

I watched that pilot and I still cannot believe that show got a season 2.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

HookShot posted:

I need to see this.
If you insist. From a post elsewhere on how stupid the show was.

darthbob88 posted:

Here's the scene in question, if it helps, and I was mistaken, they pace the airliner in a Ferrari, not a Mustang. Also, you see the young lady riding shotgun? She's a waitress, who got shanghaied onto the team in the pilot because they need somebody to translate between normal people and the supergeniuses, she needs somebody to help her deal with her autistic genius son, and the show needs a romantic subplot. I do not have enough pizza and beer to enjoy this show, but if you do, have fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boEb8zKfPBo

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

darthbob88 posted:

It was actually in the link you posted above. But the inline video works, too.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I watched that pilot and I still cannot believe that show got a season 2.

It was actually iirc the top rated show on the network, or very close. It's been renewed for 3. That really says something about humanity.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

The Lord Bude posted:

It was actually iirc the top rated show on the network, or very close. It's been renewed for 3. That really says something about humanity.

gently caress it. Trump 2016. Let's get this poo poo over with.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

darthbob88 posted:

This is the most amazing thing I have ever seen. I was expecting it to be like a Cessna or something not a 74-loving-7.

The Lord Bude posted:

Yeah, the Blacklist is also super popular for some dumb reason.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Queens Zoo does too have mountain lions what the gently caress show

Unless Joan got confused and didn't know that a puma is the same thing :v:

(Sorry I got behind and just now caught up on the latest episode)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, also taxidermists get the skins post-tanning, which removes the compounds that makes animals allergenic. Hair, on its own, is keratinous and could not be allergenic on the species level. A tannery would actually have made a lot more sense.

hire me on the show :saddowns:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
So... mostly a setup episode. I get the shift to a new snake's head but it's hard to get that motivated by that person.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

The bomb at the end is one of the stupidest cliffhangers I've seen.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Maera Sior posted:

The bomb at the end is one of the stupidest cliffhangers I've seen.

You've never seen a ticking time bomb as a cliffhanger before?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

InfiniteZero posted:

You've never seen a ticking time bomb as a cliffhanger before?

I have, but it's particularly tone-deaf for this show.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Yeah, that ending was weaksauce. Unless they both get blown up next week, that'll make two episodes in a row where the cliffhanger is dismissed in the first minute of the next episode. I really hated the beginning of this week's episode too, btw.

The middle was ok, and the new guy being Moriarty's baby daddy was at least a good call back to that weird S2 episode. She'll probably still make an appearance by the end of the season.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
They're not going to get blown up. The person watching their place doesn't know they're there because they went in the backdoor. Sherlock will either try to disarm it or they'll just head back out the backdoor and maybe try to get the drop on the occupied apartment.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oh poo poo, it's Datak Tarr

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

No, it's Van Gogh.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

GreenNight posted:

No, it's Van Gogh.

Apparently he's played Van Gogh, but when I saw that guy I was like "dude loving looks like Van Gogh." Huh!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

gently caress, thought he looked familiar.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Oz posted:

They're not going to get blown up.
Could be the end for the Brownstone?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I hope not, they spent all that effort getting their neighbor to move back in again.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

RoboCicero posted:

I hope not, they spent all that effort getting their neighbor to move back in again.

Also Clyde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

Also Clyde

Oh poo poo :ohdear:

• Locked thread