Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The mystery wasn't terrible but it was too similar to the very good snow day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

buddhanc posted:

I thought they were moving the show soon to a bad day? Maybe I'm thinking of something else
It'll probably get renewed for one more season for syndication purposes, and moved to Friday because it hasn't been doing too well in the ratings anymore but it's CBS owned so it would still make them money back in the long run, as far as I understand how that works.

Also hopefully Sherlock and Fiona get some more screen time and it doesn't get mushed into Morland or Moriarty drama anytime soon.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sober posted:

Moriarty drama

Look, Sherlock has repeatedly stated that he prefers two women at once so there's plenty of room for both

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"I was on drugs!"

"I did not start that fire!"

The awaykay plot owned.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 19, 2016

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I liked it but I'm getting Morland withdrawls.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Episode names lately have been on point

'A Study in Charlotte'
'A View With a Room'

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Disbelief in this episode lies in a professor showing up 15 minutes early to his lecture and students not immediately filing into the awful amphitheater for the next course.

Apartment stuff was good

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

Disbelief in this episode lies in a professor showing up 15 minutes early to his lecture and students not immediately filing into the awful amphitheater for the next course.
I'm always impressed when the students don't start packing up early.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The reveal that Sherlock's mom was an addict was good. Loving all the plots involved with Morland.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Innnnnteresting developments this time, good crime too. Good episode, though I really do wish the Morland plot went a little faster. He there next week?

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
The logo for the biker gang a few weeks back was kind of cool. Wish there was a way to obtain a clean mock up of it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The reveal that Sherlock's mom was an addict was good. Loving all the plots involved with Morland.

A much more subtle thing that I liked was that her name's May. Sherlock remains the only Holmes who's name does not begin with an "M."

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Dragonatrix posted:

A much more subtle thing that I liked was that her name's May. Sherlock remains the only Holmes who's name does not begin with an "M."

And the love of his life is Moriarty. :tinfoil:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

darthbob88 posted:

And the love of his life is Moriarty. :tinfoil:

Moriarty is his half sister.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

We also now know that Sherlock is 41 and Mycroft is a year older.

I've figured out what I like most about Elementary. Sherlock has his flights of genius, but they're not the crutch on which the investigations rest. We also see him and Watson doing real investigative work, acquiring the information from which he draws his conclusions. It's good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, there's absolutely no "magic". I like it too. He might already know some things, but they're never anything so obscure it strains credibility.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
It's also similar to Limitless in that way (no surprise since Craig Sweeny went to run that). They each have the main character who can provide plot relevant deductive rear end-pulls as needed but they are surrounded by highly motivated and competent professionals who also get results through discipline and hard investigative work.

Man, I am glad that John Noble got rescued from Sleepy Hollow to play Morland. He's great as ever.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Straight lines hurt you as a child?

I liked that Captain Gregson didn't just jump right back into the relationship and actually took a pause to research MS. Just felt more realistic.

alternatively: I guess spice withdrawal causes MS :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 4, 2016

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's interesting that I can almost always guess the case if I know the news story they pulled from (but the mystery is usually good anyway); this was one such example. This was a reference to Citigroup Center.

The mystery was surprisingly credible, I liked it a lot.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
:siren: Hound of the Baskervilles is coming :siren:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
That's the one the dreadful BBC show botched the hardest... Kind of afraid

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
BBC's Sherlock thinks viewers want to vicariously feel like special snowflakes. How do you fit Hounds of Baskerville into that? Answer: Poorly.

Elementary doesn't have that problem. I expect they'll do a little better.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Pick posted:

Yeah, there's absolutely no "magic". I like it too. He might already know some things, but they're never anything so obscure it strains credibility.

Yeah there's no magic, the cases get resolved because they stay up all night reading through case files and credit card statements, and doing the grunt work. Like this episode, Watson had to sit there reading boring building codes until she finds a lead.

I also enjoy that the suspects are very rarely stupid enough to confess at the end of the episode. They know when to shut up. And they usually know to not show up at the police station without a lawyer present.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

When did Sherlock move on to first name terms with Bell? He normally refers to him as "Detective Bell", but this episode he referred to him twice as "Marcus".

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

wayfinder posted:

I really dislike the BBC Sherlock, and I have to say the Hound of the Baskervilles was if anything my favorite episode... because it's so loving stupid, I was laughing most of the way through.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

wayfinder posted:

I liked that episode of Sherlock.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
The biker gang from a month ago had a cool logo. Wish there was a way to make a sticker of it.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

Jedit posted:

When did Sherlock move on to first name terms with Bell? He normally refers to him as "Detective Bell", but this episode he referred to him twice as "Marcus".

Marcus asked him to call his by his first name during that episode where he and Sherlock were tracking down a zoo animal.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
You mean a "zebbruh"?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sherlock looking out for his bro Eugene :3:

Hahaha who wants to get punched in the face to prove my innocence?

An ok interpretation of the original story I guess.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
A much better interpretation than the one starring a salarian and a hobbit.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's a good version of what is honestly a pretty crappy original story, wayyy better than the Sherlock one. Nice to give some screentime to the extra characters again!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
I was hoping it would be about Big Dog as soon as I realized it was baskervilles and I wasn't disappointed.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Naked Man lives for his 1/3 success rate another day!

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Were there some stealthy Short Circuit references mixed in there, or was it just me? "Gus Five" is transported to a demonstration/testing ground for the military and goes missing...:3:

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

bump_fn posted:

I was hoping it would be about Big Dog as soon as I realized it was baskervilles and I wasn't disappointed.

I had that same thought in the opening scene. Is there anyone on the internet who hasn't seen one of those videos?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Wonder how the move to 10pm on Sunday is going to affect ratings?

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

spookygonk posted:

Wonder how the move to 10pm on Sunday is going to affect ratings?

Well at least a few people forgot, because I'm the first to comment on the new episode, lol. I had to track it down online since for some reason my DVR got the last half of The Good Wife and the first half of Elementary. Imagine how dumb I felt watching an entire scene of The Good Wife thinking "This is an interesting case setup." They were talking about romance problems and I kept waiting for one friend to snap and kill the other or the husband to burst in.

My lack of observational prowess aside, this was a great episode and hopefully everyone will get around to it. The main mystery is some good dark comedy and Sherlock's dialogue was on point throughout ("I was bitten by a radioactive detective"). The sideplot and cliff hanger with Joan and Morland was good stuff. I'm sure some wholesome motive will be revealed, but I like Joan getting a little devious, Sherlock-style.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
I watched it and then went to bed.

Sherlock going straight to pulling the fire alarm seemed like an unusually unexplained move on his part; normally the writers give you a little reason to understand why a thing before he does it. Especially since it turned out the guy had no intention of doing another shooting. Also somehow I missed where the end guy was set up, if indeed he appeared at all.

Good lines, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Episodes this good make me worry all the more about our new time slot :ohdear:

• Locked thread