Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Jeedy Jay posted:

Defeat DOES halve your money, but fallen players leave behind a coin that contains that very same value. If the other player is around, he can scoop it up.

Namingway posted:

In the original, this is true, but if you're playing the Wii or Wii U download version, they changed this for whatever reason.
This is weird though. We do kill each other a lot but I don't seem to ever see the dead player dropping a coin...? We're playing the NES version.

armoredgorilla posted:

Fun fact: The different gang member sprites all have different stats that raise accordingly in power depending the gang they're in. Like there's one guy who kicks the hardest, one with the highest defense, one who punches hardest, etc.

There's generally no noticeable in game effect, but one exception.

One guy in each gang has almost twice the stamina of the other members. So he'll almost NEVER go down the first time you KO him.

This guy is an rear end in a top hat.
Noted. The only part of this I noticed apart from randomly getting killed by one gang or the other is that some of them defend like crazy. Like in one episode we spent like 3 minutes getting past the first screen and in another run we killed everyone in 40 seconds. Maybe they're the punchy gang. So I guess these stats are randomized each time both players respawn in town?

Lizard Wizard posted:

I recall playing a translated Kunio-kun game that was basically River City Ransom, but in medieval Japan, with the justification being that they were performing a period piece. Any chance you guys could take a look at that in the future?
Does this mean more pain and suffering? In that case yes.

Choco1980 posted:

I've recently discovered it myself, it's called Downtown Special for whatever reasons. It's basically a main sequel mechanically to this game. There's a LOT more platforming in it, but it works basically the same.
More platforming! The best part of this game that it has clearly been designed for! Can't wait!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

crab avatar posted:

Noted. The only part of this I noticed apart from randomly getting killed by one gang or the other is that some of them defend like crazy. Like in one episode we spent like 3 minutes getting past the first screen and in another run we killed everyone in 40 seconds. Maybe they're the punchy gang. So I guess these stats are randomized each time both players respawn in town?

Each time you enter an area it says "the <gang>'s turf" at the bottom. Sometimes that line is missing and the area will be unoccupied. Each gang has different characteristics, and each "member" has another unique characteristic on top of that. I didn't know about the second part until I read the post you're responding too though.

moller fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Nov 13, 2015

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

crab avatar posted:

This is weird though. We do kill each other a lot but I don't seem to ever see the dead player dropping a coin...? We're playing the NES version.

I've never played the NES version of RCR but I might hazard a guess that it's only a thing on Normal and not Advanced...?

Namingway
Jul 8, 2009

Son Ryo posted:

I've never played the NES version of RCR but I might hazard a guess that it's only a thing on Normal and not Advanced...?

That or there's more than one version of the NES cart.

My friend and I sat down to play the Wii version for nostalgia purposes, and we were both disappointed that the other player didn't drop money like in the NES version we played. That combined with a few other vivid childhood memories of stealing each other's money with different friends makes me believe that the money dropping is real and that I am not crazy.

Probably.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I could've sworn money dropped on player death in the version we played, if only because I remember pit deaths being ~extra bad~ since there was no coin to recover.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
This is one of those Berenstein/Berenstain Bears things.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

moller posted:

Each time you enter an area it says "the <gang>'s turf" at the bottom. Sometimes that line is missing and the area will be unoccupied. Each gang has different characteristics, and each "member" has another unique characteristic on top of that. I didn't know about the second part until I read the post you're responding too though.
Aah all clear, thanks!

quote:

Player coin drop? Versions?
I've tried briefly googling for this but didn't find any immediate answers. Dared not dive too deep into GameFAQs stuff because of the spoilers. :iiam:

The next video is out in a little bit!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Some quick investigating makes me believe I am correct in that the players do NOT drop money. An odd trick apparently though is if the other player leaves the area before the "X has lost all their power" message finishes typing out, the money doesn't go halve for them. One of the two reasons that slow message speeds can help. The other being that bosses don't start attacking until after they've finished talking if you leave them alone, giving you a prime moment to get the drop on them.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Part 5: OOP- I KILLED YOU

edit:

"I guess Stamina is the HP?"
"Is it?"
-- #BADATGAMES, 60 minutes into a game.

crab avatar fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 14, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

I think you guys are definitely getting #betteratgames. It is kind of a bitch though that the game always starts you back at the school, though I don't really remember how large the game world is or if there is anything that really stops you barreling through screens.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

They've seen more than half of it and there isn't.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

They've seen more than half of it and there isn't.

Technically. If they were REALLY halfway, they'd have beaten a bunch of bosses instead of one. They're all over the place, and there's only a couple points where you need to backtrack at all I want to say. Also, there's basically a point of no return later in the game (you'll know it when you see it.)

I think the passwords save all your progress EXCEPT where you are physically in the game (stats, inventory, bosses beaten) so that's the one way around the "no return" point if you screw up. Too bad they're such AWFUL passwords.

Also, I hope these guys don't end up overlooking the one special shop I always make it a policy to visit every time I play this game. :tutbutt:

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

Technically. If they were REALLY halfway, they'd have beaten a bunch of bosses instead of one. They're all over the place, and there's only a couple points where you need to backtrack at all I want to say. Also, there's basically a point of no return later in the game (you'll know it when you see it.)

I think the passwords save all your progress EXCEPT where you are physically in the game (stats, inventory, bosses beaten) so that's the one way around the "no return" point if you screw up. Too bad they're such AWFUL passwords.

Also, I hope these guys don't end up overlooking the one special shop I always make it a policy to visit every time I play this game. :tutbutt:

I thought you meant the magic shop, but nope - you're just in it for 8-bit butt dimples.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Niggurath posted:

I think you guys are definitely getting #betteratgames. It is kind of a bitch though that the game always starts you back at the school, though I don't really remember how large the game world is or if there is anything that really stops you barreling through screens.
Hahahah even if the game wasn't fun your GIFs would still make doing this worthwhile.

Choco1980 posted:

I think the passwords save all your progress EXCEPT where you are physically in the game (stats, inventory, bosses beaten)
I was really hoping it would save bosses, phew.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Well the thing is is you can fight bosses as many times as you want to (before the last one, that ends the game). Recall they give good money too. When you go for "rematches" their dialogue at the bottom of the screen even changes, reflecting that you've already kicked their rear end, saying things like "What? Again?!" The final "gang" of bosses don't appear until you've beaten all the bosses up to a certain point, and one or two of them require backtracking iirc. They wear dark red shirts, and are tougher. I know one appears in that little park with the bathrooms early on in the progress. You have to beat all of THEM before you're allowed to fight the last boss (a good chunk of them are grouped near him at the end at least). I hope you guys stick with things to make it to the end of the game, it's the sort of NES accomplishment where you just feel good about yourself for the rest of the day. Plus, the game designers through in one small surprise before the last boss for fans of beat em ups of the time...

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Choco1980 posted:

I hope you guys stick with things to make it to the end of the game, it's the sort of NES accomplishment where you just feel good about yourself for the rest of the day.
Thanks for the tips dude. As gruelling as this game can be for us most of the time, it's such a fantastic rush when you feel like you're figuring things out and things start to get a tiny bit easier. Like that legit "drat, I did this, I'm doing this" feeling. I don't think I've ever had that feeling with any modern games to be honest.

E: Half-Life might have been one, actually. Need to finish/restart.

crab avatar fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 16, 2015

moller
Jan 10, 2007

You guys should stop dying and start eating things. Some places may even offer carryout!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Confession, I get about a hundred free smiles each time I play this game.

(every once in a great while while it ups your health bar by a notch or two somehow btw. I have no idea how that works.)

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
When you knock them down you can usually finish them off by pitching your weapon at them. It's a handy way to speed up KOs.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

moller posted:

You guys should stop dying and start eating things. Some places may even offer carryout!
Of course! All this time spent playing and we didn't even scan all the buttons on the NES: "A", "B", "START", "SELECT", and "SURVIVE".

Choco1980 posted:

Confession, I get about a hundred free smiles each time I play this game.

(every once in a great while while it ups your health bar by a notch or two somehow btw. I have no idea how that works.)
Oh poo poo we gotta try this.

Sloober posted:

When you knock them down you can usually finish them off by pitching your weapon at them. It's a handy way to speed up KOs.
We're totally doing this in later episodes. So proud of figuring it out. :unsmith:

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Part 6: I AM HERE TO PUNCH

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Huh, guess I was wrong about the Zombies gang of bosses only showing up if you beat all the other bosses first.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Choco1980 posted:

Huh, guess I was wrong about the Zombies gang of bosses only showing up if you beat all the other bosses first.
Maybe that's a Novice thing? Lol get on my level. Which is to say be pretty loving bad.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Well, I KNOW the rest of the Zombies don't appear til after taking out Thor, but I guess I figured you had to fight the bosses that appear before him like moose and the rest too. They only appear when you defeat the rest of the gang members in that area.

I suppose speaking of bosses, I'll let a specific cat out of a bag. That early bridge level that has the cut scene that scrolls super slowly the first time you go there? It has another exit on the left hand side at the back where you'll go down beneath the bridge and take on a pair of bosses simultaneously. They're kinda chumps, and I usually like to grind off them til I have good equipment from the first mall.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Part 7: KILL ME! AAH YES!!

Choco1980 posted:

I suppose speaking of bosses, I'll let a specific cat out of a bag. That early bridge level that has the cut scene that scrolls super slowly the first time you go there? It has another exit on the left hand side at the back where you'll go down beneath the bridge and take on a pair of bosses simultaneously. They're kinda chumps, and I usually like to grind off them til I have good equipment from the first mall.
Thanks for this! I can tell you with 95% certainty that we would've just simply missed that exit and probably would've spent an entire episode looking for them before becoming desperate enough to check a walkthrough.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Will Power is an interesting stat - basically, it's reserve Stamina. If you suffer a fatal blow and have any Will Power, it gets transferred to your Stamina. Bit of a second wind, I guess?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

yeah. When a guy gets up panting sometimes, he's transfering will power to stamina. You don't have control over when it's used, but that's how it works.

Also, I'm SOO disappointed that the sauna was never used.

Incidentally, River City High is where the end game is. If you beat all the Zombies, the gates open up and you go inside. The "point of no return" I've mentioned is the beginning of the factory. There's no way back up to the entrance physically. If you need to back track, looks like you're in password town.

Also if it helps, those two bosses under the bridge, and that little park with the bathrooms you already found are the only non-linear paths. Everything else is just one entrance, one exit. The weird non-imported sequel that takes place in Edo times is not at all like this, and is a nightmare to navigate.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

Incidentally, River City High is where the end game is. If you beat all the Zombies, the gates open up and you go inside. The "point of no return" I've mentioned is the beginning of the factory. There's no way back up to the entrance physically. If you need to back track, looks like you're in password town.

Actually, you can backtrack by dying in the first room of the factory.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Huh? You can totally jump from the lower floor of the factory up to the upper floor. I'm certain I've seen it done, and I'm pretty sure I've even done it myself.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

crab avatar posted:

Of course! All this time spent playing and we didn't even scan all the buttons on the NES: "A", "B", "START", "SELECT", and "SURVIVE".

I dug out my NES from a closet and hooked it to my panel TV and played a game of RCR on Advanced.

Advanced is bullshit.

EDIT: Still: Don't die. Dying is bad. Backtrack to a mall rather than dying.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Lizard Wizard posted:

Will Power is an interesting stat - basically, it's reserve Stamina. If you suffer a fatal blow and have any Will Power, it gets transferred to your Stamina. Bit of a second wind, I guess?

Choco1980 posted:

yeah. When a guy gets up panting sometimes, he's transfering will power to stamina. You don't have control over when it's used, but that's how it works.

Also, I'm SOO disappointed that the sauna was never used.
This is nuts, would've never figured this out. There's gonna be an episode where we're wondering wtf all this is about. Also I'll make sure to remember the sauna for next time we're recording.

moller posted:

I dug out my NES from a closet and hooked it to my panel TV and played a game of RCR on Advanced.

Advanced is bullshit.
It fills my heart with joy to know that someone suffered the pains of Advanced for the first time as a result of us doing this series. Sending good vibes, hang in there ❤

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Part 8: THANKS FOR THE BAT, IDIOT

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The bubblegum quote is from THEY LIVE you poltroons.

Also yeah, you're getting better as you go for sure. Grinding is the slow part of this game, but once you get abilities your game will go much easier (for fun, one of you grab stone hands and the other dragon feet. They do basically the same thing but one's for punching the other for kicking). I might soon have to start up a new game just from watching you guys for so long. What would be a tough challenge for me would be to maybe try to buy one of each item in the game? There's a secret shop we've been coy about with you guys that's SUPER expensive that might make that hard. I'd still like to see if you guys can discover the door to it on accident. It's invisible, and in an area with enemies in it.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I know you record these in advance, but as a heads up, money dropped is based on the gang that shows up, not the zone.

For the gangs you've encountered, it's something like Generic Dudes < Frat Guys < Home Boys < Jocks < Mob

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I decided to take up my shopping challenge and play through and buy literally every purchase in the game. After some grinding I pulled it off in the first town. Here's my stats prior to buying the books, which don't change your stats but instead give you abilities, because that's the long grind (with handy Ryan baseline on the default status screen).

As you can see, kicking doesn't go up at all in the first town. I found that if you're just looking to heal, the coffee shop and the rolls menu in the sushi house are the best bet. They're cheap, and they raise stamina and max power a lot. A few of the drinks even raise some of your fighting stats too.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

I decided to take up my shopping challenge and play through and buy literally every purchase in the game. After some grinding I pulled it off in the first town. Here's my stats prior to buying the books, which don't change your stats but instead give you abilities, because that's the long grind (with handy Ryan baseline on the default status screen).

As you can see, kicking doesn't go up at all in the first town. I found that if you're just looking to heal, the coffee shop and the rolls menu in the sushi house are the best bet. They're cheap, and they raise stamina and max power a lot. A few of the drinks even raise some of your fighting stats too.

If I recall correctly, the big boosts to kicking come only from buying shoes. It's think there are a mere handful of foods that give kicking, and none give more than one point.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

I found that if you're just looking to heal, the coffee shop and the rolls menu in the sushi house are the best bet. They're cheap, and they raise stamina and max power a lot. A few of the drinks even raise some of your fighting stats too.

Yeah, I was just about to say that. The coffee shop definitely has the best value for healing items.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, looking over the shop lists, the game really seems to want to encourage you to rely on your fists more than anything. As I haven't bought any books yet, I've been relying on weapons. The chain has the longest reach, but the tire seems to have the largest around hit box, making it easier to deflect thrown weapons with.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

For healing I always relied on the drug store. Everything but the cheapest item restores tons of stamina and they're all portable. Field healing is way more efficient than having to dash back to town under threat of death.

That's also why I recommend getting carryout earlier in the thread. The first town has a hamburger shop or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Merv's isn't til town two. Town 1's tiny all things considered. A coffee shop, a donut shop (where the takeout is) the sushi place, and the book store.

• Locked thread