Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Greensleeves is great because you learn a classical standard and a christmas song at the same time.

I played classical for about 5 years and I hit a wall that would not allow me to advance any further. I found it was getting very tedious and learning songs was almost like "paint by numbers". Not unlike learning a skateboard trick. It felt very mechanical.

That said, I am always drawn back to classical. There is some comfort in it's purity and structure. I just ordered one of Noads graded study books to re-acclimate myself so I can take another run at it. At this point I really need to start over as classical techniques seem to erode quicker than other styles.

I will echo that the Cordoba C5-C10 are the best bang for the buck. The best student guitar I have owned is an Alhambra 7P and regret selling it. Right now I'm using a Yamaha Flamenco that I picked up to be a beater that is always out in the event that inspiration strikes.

I hope this thread takes off, It would be good to have a group of us working through some songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna
May 31, 2001

Barnyard Protein posted:

I just placed an order for the spruce-top Cordoba C7 from GSI :woop:

It comes with a gig bag, but I've heard rumblings that humidity control is important. What is the recommended care and feeding of this kind of guitar?

Nice choice! I had a C7 a few years ago that ended up warping, so you do need to be conscious of the environment it is in.

Luna
May 31, 2001

Southern Heel posted:

So you players who've passed the beginner-book stage, from where do you get your music? For example, my father often needs a little hint about what to get me for Xmas so I was thinking of suggesting a book of sheet music for Classical Guitar, but I'm not even really sure where to start to suggest something!

Physically? Amazon. If you mean how to new songs outside of the compilations, I pick an composer I like and see if I can run with it. This being my favorite: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0793555434/ref=ox_sc_imb_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A12XIGXOWWK2SD

• Locked thread