Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

JC2 is great, although it makes me want to play Tropico for some reason. :v:

If I could afford a new graphics card it'd be doable though. But buying that on top of a full price game is a bit too much. I could be wrong about the game requiring too much from my system but I really don't want to buy the game and hope it runs. I'll just wait until I hear everyone's reaction on how well it runs.

Anyway, in JC2 I could never bring myself to blow up water towers. Taking out military and propaganda and disrupting the oil and other crap like that is fine but taking away the people's only source of fresh water? In a desert? That's too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
For anyone who hasn't been keeping up with the hardware market, video cards are a pretty cheap upgrade these days. Cards at about the $200 mark are quite good. That's now the sweet spot that used to be $300, the only reason to spend more is for people with 4k monitors. Of course not everyone has $200 lying around, but if you have something 4 years old and were under the impression that the only thing worth buying is the $500 mega-nerd gear you should reconsider.

Also I feel like the old E3 trailer should be seen if you haven't before. It doesn't have any gameplay or anything, but the composition and the cover of Firestarter are both pretty rad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ND5dYIFkd0

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

For those interested in some longform gameplay, check out these vids---legit great gameplay and loving around, great fun. The guy who does the vids is a bit annoying but it's tolerable and worth watching if you're interested in how the crazy poo poo for this new one will play out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p40E8zfaUlU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB95Tirz4L4

Oh, and this slightly newer one. The crate drop in this game is basically the MGSV crate drop dialed up to 11. Imagine a mammoth loving crate containing a jet plane exploding onto a tank and blowing up all the cars around it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6exCjo5_q4

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 17, 2015

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Fallout 4 - yawn
Starcraft II: LotV - whatever

Just Cause 3 here I loving come hell yes.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm going to have a continuous orgasm during the hundred+ hours I play this game.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

MinibarMatchman posted:

For those interested in some longform gameplay, check out these vids---legit great gameplay and loving around, great fun. The guy who does the vids is a bit annoying but it's tolerable and worth watching if you're interested in how the crazy poo poo for this new one will play out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p40E8zfaUlU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB95Tirz4L4

Oh, and this slightly newer one. The crate drop in this game is basically the MGSV crate drop dialed up to 11. Imagine a mammoth loving crate containing a jet plane exploding onto a tank and blowing up all the cars around it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6exCjo5_q4

man those were awesome, so hyped for this game

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

JC2 gave me many, many hours of relief as i was on bed rest for months after two back surgeries and then later, pent up in grad school in the midwest, missing the coast as I would cathartically grappling hook across the island blowing poo poo up enjoying all the different pixel landscapes.

I more or less stopped caring about video games - but I'm so looking forward to this.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I almost bought a PS4 just so I could try and participate in the "win an island" contest.

But I work at a movie theater, and from December 17-18 onward my existence will be a loving hell for at least two to three more months. I'd never crack the top 50% of Chaos points. Thanks a lot, Star Wars.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Holy poo poo I didn't realize this was only two weeks away. I might as well not even try to continue playing fallout.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Martman posted:

After playing Just Cause 2 every other sandbox open-world game felt like a chore to play. I try them, and I'm always like "Uhhh why can't I just fly everywhere and blow everything up whenever I want??"

EDIT: I guess Hulk: Ultimate Destruction was pretty good about that too.

It was the opposite for me tbh because while the world was huge and getting around was fun there was a distinct lack of poo poo to do because once you blow up one base with some petrol tanks you've blown them all up

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Robo Reagan posted:

It was the opposite for me tbh because while the world was huge and getting around was fun there was a distinct lack of poo poo to do because once you blow up one base with some petrol tanks you've blown them all up

Blow 'em up with a jet
Blow 'em up with a chopper
Blow 'em up with a rocket launcher
Blow 'em up with C4
Blow 'em up with a jumbo jet and ramming into poo poo

The list goes on forever. Blow 'em up.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
If you're not surfing planes and crashing them into colonels I don't know what to tell ya.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
You can also do the jihad jeep thing we used to do back in Battlefield 1942. C4 on a jeep, bail out and detonate when it runs into the bad guys.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if you hate explosions then you will hate this game.

I kind of admire how the studio is openly saying "gently caress story it's thin and just an excuse to blow things up and fly around" because why not? games like Far Cry 4 or most Ubisoft games and open world scenarios seem to just bog you down with checklist collectathon bullshit and slow you from enjoying setpieces and cool poo poo like gyrocopters and batshit weapons. It's just a hugely enjoyable change of pace from all the games that lock you down. Here it's just "here's you planes, your c4, and your wingsuit, do everything you want." As much as I loved MGSV it was hell developing all the poo poo I wanted to play with.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
But without story how will we ever know the plight of BOLO SANTOSI

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MinibarMatchman posted:

if you hate explosions then you will hate this game.

I kind of admire how the studio is openly saying "gently caress story it's thin and just an excuse to blow things up and fly around" because why not? games like Far Cry 4 or most Ubisoft games and open world scenarios seem to just bog you down with checklist collectathon bullshit and slow you from enjoying setpieces and cool poo poo like gyrocopters and batshit weapons. It's just a hugely enjoyable change of pace from all the games that lock you down. Here it's just "here's you planes, your c4, and your wingsuit, do everything you want." As much as I loved MGSV it was hell developing all the poo poo I wanted to play with.

You're thinking of FC3 not 4.

After you finished the short prologue, Far Cry 4 was like here's your grappling hook, wingsuit, parachute, and gyrocopter, have fun

:colbert:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Indiana_Krom posted:

I can land all the planes in the game without exploding them, but generally using any of the planes for a bombing run is a pain just because you only have a couple seconds where you can actually cause damage. As you approach, you can only damage a base from about 1 KM or less, further out than that and none of the things you can break have spawned on the map yet. Then quite often all the bits of debris that flew up in the air from the cannon would hit your plane and cause it to explode.

So if you actually wanted to blow stuff up with that type of firepower, only way to do it reliably was to mod a helicopter or ground vehicle to have the same autocannon, which always produced amusing results.

Good news because in JC3 some jets have actual bombs/air-to-surface missiles (with a bombing crosshair displayed on the ground)! Planes also have :siren: rudder control :siren: which means that you no longer have to bank your plane just to get it to go a smidge to the left!

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Odobenidae posted:

Good news because in JC3 some jets have actual bombs/air-to-surface missiles (with a bombing crosshair displayed on the ground)! Planes also have :siren: rudder control :siren: which means that you no longer have to bank your plane just to get it to go a smidge to the left!
Nice, but I wonder how/if they are still going to do "bridge limbo" now that we can destroy bridges...

Which reminds me, you know all the race challenges in JC2? Like there are base jump races, then airplane races, then car/truck/atv races, then boat races right? Well JC2 only really has two types of races: vehicle races and non-vehicle races. Next time you are at the start line for a boat or a car race, call in black market drop for a helicopter or an airplane and try it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ayn rand hand job posted:

After you finished the short prologue, Far Cry 4 was like here's your grappling hook, wingsuit, parachute, and gyrocopter, have fun

True, FC4 was much more freeform. I love FC4 but some of the Ubisoft elements to it were a bit overwhelming. That wingsuit was crazy good but JC3 looks like the best loving wingsuit experience ever. Never thought anything would come close to the joy of locomotion since Spider-Man 2 but this might overtake it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

man those were awesome, so hyped for this game

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Indiana_Krom posted:

Nice, but I wonder how/if they are still going to do "bridge limbo" now that we can destroy bridges...
Do the bridges get reset maybe? It would suck to blow up every bridge on the map and then not be able to drive from place to place anymore.

I know some people don't like stuff that magically rebuilds after you blow it up, but I think in a Just Cause game that attitude can get a bit self-defeating. As more stuff becomes destructible, the world will get pretty barren if your random acts of blowing poo poo up make them stay blown up forever.

Eventually you're left starting at a post-apocalyptic wasteland of broken buildings and wrecked vehicles, as if Rico Rodriguez was the one responsible for world turning into Mad Max.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
They've already said that the gas stations would reset when you leave the town so you can go back and blow them up over and over again. But they said they took gas stations out of the chaos system so you don't get chaos for that. I have a feeling that bridges are a part of the system still and are gone for good once blown up. So it's probably a good idea to do the bridge limbo first, if that's a thing in JC3.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Based on the videos bridges do not give chaos, so they presumably respawn. It'd be kinda silly if they didn't.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Yea bridges not respawning would be ridiculous and instantly gently caress all the road traffic.

Animax
Nov 7, 2015

GreatGreen posted:

Fallout 4 - yawn
Starcraft II: LotV - whatever

Just Cause 3 here I loving come hell yes.

Can't wait to blow everything up while i grapple an airplane and fly off.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Fallout 4 - yawn

Lol if you buy a Bethesda game at launch.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
According to this Q&A the bridges will respawn: http://steamcommunity.com/app/225540/discussions/0/617320628338253439/#p8 I was wrong about that.

Nullsmack fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 18, 2015

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Klyith posted:

Do the bridges get reset maybe? It would suck to blow up every bridge on the map and then not be able to drive from place to place anymore.

I know some people don't like stuff that magically rebuilds after you blow it up, but I think in a Just Cause game that attitude can get a bit self-defeating. As more stuff becomes destructible, the world will get pretty barren if your random acts of blowing poo poo up make them stay blown up forever.

Eventually you're left starting at a post-apocalyptic wasteland of broken buildings and wrecked vehicles, as if Rico Rodriguez was the one responsible for world turning into Mad Max.

To each his own. I hope there's a mod that leaves every bridge, corpse and crater exactly as you left it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Is anyone gunning for that private island contest? Just get a group of friends to do a rotation of JC3 playthroughs throughout the holiday season.

Never stop playing.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Is there a working bolopatch for whatever the current version of JC2 is?

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

another fun thing to do is to be an air pirate

steal a big cargo plane and do low passes near stuff while you jump out to try to attach those objects to your plane

I wasted many hours fultoning people out of boats in JC2

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

ayn rand hand job posted:

Except in Ubisoft fashion, your character was a loving bonehead perpetually getting used by people.

And in keeping with Ubisoft style, you couldn't side with the much cooler bad guy. I just want to blow poo poo up for Uncle Pagan :(

But yay this looks fun and good and I love explosions :)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Capn Beeb posted:

Except in Ubisoft fashion, your character was a loving bonehead perpetually getting used by people.

As opposed to say JC2, where you totally didn't get used a ton by various factions and inadvertantly support Japan, China, and Russia.

And that kinda lasts up until the Brick Factory mission tbh, after that not so much

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I've got a GTX 680, so considering how well Mad Max was optimised I hope JC3 will run like a dream as well.

Still undecided as to whether to pre-order this. I probably shouldn't, but man, Just Cause 3. :ohdear:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Giant Bomb video, it's one of the ones where some developers are controlling it and doing more of a guided tour. Those are a lot less neutral than normal GB quick looks but if you want to see a nice selection of stuff in the game (and the features they want to show off) it's good.

So what I'm seeing is this is absolutely Just Cause 2: Now With 2015 Graphics and Physics. Same chaos, same cheese, still best enjoyed in god mode. There were those reports that Mad Max was done by Avalanche's A-team and JC3 was their B-team. In some ways I think it shows -- it's a very safe & sequel-y sequel. But in a lot of ways that's all I want, more and better of the same.

Only thing I specifically didn't like is race and challenge events still have a chunk of load time at the start, and sometimes a little at the end.

Also there is party confetti included with every airdrop.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Klyith posted:

Giant Bomb video, it's one of the ones where some developers are controlling it and doing more of a guided tour. Those are a lot less neutral than normal GB quick looks but if you want to see a nice selection of stuff in the game (and the features they want to show off) it's good.

So what I'm seeing is this is absolutely Just Cause 2: Now With 2015 Graphics and Physics. Same chaos, same cheese, still best enjoyed in god mode. There were those reports that Mad Max was done by Avalanche's A-team and JC3 was their B-team. In some ways I think it shows -- it's a very safe & sequel-y sequel. But in a lot of ways that's all I want, more and better of the same.

JC3 being made by a B-team surprises me, I assumed that although Mad Max was fun it did feel a bit restricted. Also surprised anything involving Giant Bomb and this game would be called "neutral" as it's been no secret that everyone on the site/podcast is absolutely in love with this game.

I'm fine with JC3 being "JC2: 2." There were always some rough points of JC2, money and slow speed of parachuting being two of them. Both of those problems are solved and the game looks incredibly beautiful so I'm ready to roll with this.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MinibarMatchman posted:

JC3 being made by a B-team surprises me, I assumed that although Mad Max was fun it did feel a bit restricted.
That's what all the stories were, that Avalanche put their more experienced people on Mad Max and JC3 was the young guns.

It just goes to show that experience isn't everything and conjuring a new open-world game from scratch is hard.

quote:

Also surprised anything involving Giant Bomb and this game would be called "neutral" as it's been no secret that everyone on the site/podcast is absolutely in love with this game.
It's more that on the quick look EX things with the developer in the room, they don't really call out anything negative. For a regular quick look they'll say a thing they dislike even for games they are in love with. It's not neutral like "robot objective", more about being even-handed and honest about their experience.

(Like, it's pretty obvious in that video that the dev has god mode turned on. The GBeast crew don't say anything about it, when I think there's actually an interesting conversation to have about the utility of player death in the JC game. I played pretty much all of JC2 with god mode, because dying when you crash a helicopter into a tank is just an impediment to my very serious experiments in tank-helicopter interactions.)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Klyith posted:

That's what all the stories were, that Avalanche put their more experienced people on Mad Max and JC3 was the young guns.

It just goes to show that experience isn't everything and conjuring a new open-world game from scratch is hard.

It's more that on the quick look EX things with the developer in the room, they don't really call out anything negative. For a regular quick look they'll say a thing they dislike even for games they are in love with. It's not neutral like "robot objective", more about being even-handed and honest about their experience.

(Like, it's pretty obvious in that video that the dev has god mode turned on. The GBeast crew don't say anything about it, when I think there's actually an interesting conversation to have about the utility of player death in the JC game. I played pretty much all of JC2 with god mode, because dying when you crash a helicopter into a tank is just an impediment to my very serious experiments in tank-helicopter interactions.)

I just automatically assume "god mode" is JC3 in a nutshell, I mean you have unlimited explosives and infinite monies. They did mention the game scales defenses with what you're packing though to keep things more explodey

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I dont normally preorder games but I preordered this one because it is gauranteed to be really loving good. IMO few open world games surpass JC2 even these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Klyith posted:

There were those reports that Mad Max was done by Avalanche's A-team and JC3 was their B-team. In some ways I think it shows -- it's a very safe & sequel-y sequel.
Which is funny because Mad Max largely played it pretty safe as well, in terms of its gameplay mechanics. It was fun, don't get me wrong, but a lot of what it did (e.g. Dinky-Di or the whole Archangel system) was so rudimentary that it'd really benefit from being expanded on in a sequel; other than the setting there wasn't a whole lot to set Mad Max apart from other open world games. And unfortunately we probably aren't likely to get said sequel any time soon.

• Locked thread