Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Lot 49 posted:

Thinking about the end of this show is :(

What are people's all time favourite episodes? My top 3 is probably Mark's wedding, the one where Jez and Superhands are given a pub and the one where Jez locks Mark in his room to have a magic mushroom party.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Peep_Show_episodes

Series 3 and 4 was it's prime for me, virtually every episode is a winner.

On the Pull is probably my favourite, if only because for a very brief period of time Mark actually has things going his way. He's having fun, he's acting as normal as someone like Mark can, and everyone else is having a terrible time. It also has two of the best scenes in the entire series: Jez and the awkward situation with Tony and Toni, and the first person image of Mark humping Valerie, which may be the single best shot ever committed to the history of television.

Second favourite is also in series 1, where Mark completely loses it and stalks Sophie and ends up pepper spraying Jez. "Ok. Enough careers guidance... I need therapy"

Third one is hard. I think it's either Sectioning or Handyman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Well, just saw the last episode (its on the channel 4 website in the uk).

I'm not sick but I'm not well
And I'm so hot
'cause I'm in hell

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Do you have a direct link? I'm only seeing last weeks episode for some reason...

nines
Aug 13, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Do you have a direct link? I'm only seeing last weeks episode for some reason...

http://thanks4.channel4.com/video/peep-show-series-9-episode-6-premiere

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Peep Show Series 9 Episode 6

Are We Going To Be Alright? - It's the last ever Peep Show from the El Dude Brothers. Jeremy is turning 40 - and it's hitting him hard - while Mark makes an audacious attempt to win the woman of his dreams.

This is it boys and girls, the last enchilada

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Welp, here we go. One last 20 minutes for the el dude brothers.

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty
It ends here. So long El Dude bros.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Jez needs to drink more water. Not healthy urine he's drinking there.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Oh Mark, it's going to fall apart on you so painfully.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Both of them still living together, still miserable.

As good an end as we could have hoped for.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Really really wish they'd taken more of a leap at the end there.....Hell, since JLB folded (Season 5?) the writing on this show has really lacked conviction.

They haven't let Mark n Jez grow, just kept throwing love interests at them, always returning to the same zero state.

Making Jez bi/gay was a cool twist in theory, but just like Mark being a dad it was only ever 2 lines of dialogue deep.

Anyway the first 4 seasons were terrific and David Mitchell is a good panel show guest now. Mission accomplished.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Mark and Jez have never really been capable of growth, they've just been treading water since university and now they're middle-aged.

All in all, I think it was about as good a sendoff as possible, a bit of manic chaos as a situation spirals out of control, some nice (non)resolution, Jeff and Johnson were good and the last scene was only sentimental in a weird enough way that it wasn't sickly.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

A lot of funny moments, a final "gently caress you" from Jeff, Jeremy ruining Mark's life, a ridiculous plot to win affection from a woman, said plan backfiring with everyone involved losing the people they love, and finally a moment where Mark and Jez discuss killing each other.

A perfect send-off, if you ask me. Godspeed, El Dude Bros.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

You all keep saying they haven't grown but Jez at least no longer wears his front bottom inspector t-shirt as he has matured enough to find it distasteful. :colbert:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Great final episode. Couldn't have ended better. I liked that Men in a Ven was Marks downfall.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That was a very Peep Show episode, and that's how it should be. Nice way to end it all. Also man, Jeff hasn't aged at all.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fuckin loved it. ended perfectly. no loose strings, just contentment in hopeless degeneration

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

That was a very Peep Show episode, and that's how it should be. Nice way to end it all. Also man, Jeff hasn't aged at all.

I started watching S1 again this week. And, jesus yes. Jeremy looks completely different, as does Mark and Sophie.
The scene with Jeff and Johnson could have been lifted from S1.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
In my head there will be a series 10 and it will be set in prison. They share the same cell.

Big Mad Andy will have a prominent role.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
God, there's something about Jeff that just makes my skin crawl.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I loved it. Hilarious from start to finish.

The best bits were Jeremy's long term plan being "Fucky sucky" and the "Czar loving off the Ibiza".

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
A mad Jeremy scheme is the best I could've hoped for in a final episode

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Owlkill posted:

I worked in the Air Force with a guy like Jeff and he had always made my skin crawl.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I'm sad it is over but also I think it is for the best.

It was a good last episode and I'm glad they didn't totally tie up everything neatly and carried on the great sitcom tradition of absolutely nothing changing from the first episode, really.

Who would want to rent a moped off Super Hans :stare:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Owlkill posted:

I actually liked him way more on the re-watch. Once you realise that Mark is a creepy oval office, Jeff's dislike of him becomes increasingly reasonable.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
The episode where Jeremy befriends Jeff is one of my favorites

I think it also has the poker scene which is the best summation of Mark and Jez's characters

"All the reds! That looks amazing!"

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

MoPZiG posted:

Making Jez bi/gay was a cool twist in theory, but just like Mark being a dad it was only ever 2 lines of dialogue deep.

There was more potential in the threelationship plotline than it got. Jez's journey to bi'ness could have initially started with him agreeing to a threesome with the couple and then ended with the guys slowly pushing the girl out of the relationship.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
After about 24 hours of reflection, I agree that the threeway plot really didn't get explored. When people started showing up for Jeremys birthday I was hoping to see Nancy, Elana, Zahara, the Monk, Big Suze and maybe even Toni. That would've really nailed it for me. But as Jeremy pointed out most of the people that Jeremy knows he's hosed over

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Doing a rewatch / binge this week, and one thing I've noticed is that largely, no plot really gets explored, with the possible exception of the Sophie story.
It's definitely British sitcom vintage - most of everything is episodic and the underlying story is only very slowly advanced, if at all.

Compared with the trend of US sitcoms becoming really drawn out dramas with the occasional laugh, I have to say it's refreshing.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I feel like a special is inevitable because that ending was exceptionally dead-ended for a British SERIES

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
from reading their twitters I definitely get the vibe they are over it. maybe that's just me

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Khablam posted:

Doing a rewatch / binge this week, and one thing I've noticed is that largely, no plot really gets explored, with the possible exception of the Sophie story.
It's definitely British sitcom vintage - most of everything is episodic and the underlying story is only very slowly advanced, if at all.
That's kind of the point though. The characters are so utterly hopeless that they never properly grow or change, hence it feels as if their lives only progress in time.

That being said I do agree with this:

massive spider posted:

There was more potential in the threelationship plotline than it got. Jez's journey to bi'ness could have initially started with him agreeing to a threesome with the couple and then ended with the guys slowly pushing the girl out of the relationship.
Only reason I can't think of why they didn't go with this is they didn't know how to properly have it all blow up in Jez's face by the end since they knew they couldn't simply carry the relationship over to a next series.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gorn Myson posted:

I actually liked him way more on the re-watch. Once you realise that Mark is a creepy oval office, Jeff's dislike of him becomes increasingly reasonable.

Jeff is right to dislike Mark, but he's the sort of person that I can't stand. There's something about him.

In the party episode, the massive poo poo in the toilet didn't phase me, but when it's revealed that Jeff did it I almost retched. Something about his shits are particularly disgusting. There's a lot of people like that. Jay's dad in The Inbetweeners is the same, especially when he shits.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That's because Jay's dad was the most disgusting individual ever put on TV yet remained completely believable. You know there's literally thousands of him roaming the Earth pissing on people's feet right now.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
When Jeremy said "equals pequals" I was waiting for Mark to say "We are not equals pequals"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sashimi posted:

That being said I do agree with this:
Only reason I can't think of why they didn't go with this is they didn't know how to properly have it all blow up in Jez's face by the end since they knew they couldn't simply carry the relationship over to a next series.

they didn't really have much time to do both a jeremy and mark romantic plot in the same season and mark's desperate attempts to find happiness through someone's vagina are much darker and funnier than jeremy's breezy sluttiness

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

8raz posted:

I've seen the last episode and it was pretty good but you wouldn't know it's the last ever ep if you didn't know. It just feels like any of the other "season" finales which I think is probably a good thing.

I'm kinda glad it's over to be honest. I've been watching it from the start and have a lot of goodwill towards the show but season 8 didn't feel right. This run had one great episode and a lot of middling ones, including the final, and I'd hate to see it continue like that. I've only ever been disappointed by Peep Show by comparing it to it's own high standards. I will totally watch the "catchup" season in a decade.

Perfectly sums up my thoughts. I get the feeling they wanted to stop but realised they couldn't just stop it on how series 8 ended.

Love 1-7, 8-9 not so much. It has some moments but probably best its over now. Still, not many series can put such a good stint in.

I think the programme stands a lot more on the side characters than I ever realised. Obviously Mark, Jez and Hans are good, but I don't feel the others in the Threeism and April were as funny or interesting as Toni, Nancy, Big Suz or Elena. Johnson and Sophie arent really there beyond cameo (Johnson is so wasted I wonder if they even wrote it with the character in mind).

Too three, Wedding, Quantocking and Christmas.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nah any one of the series could have been the last one. 8 ended with Dobby leaving forever and Mark and Jez hating each other. That's a perfectly fine way to end it.

Actually series 7 wouldn't really have worked because it's a somewhat happy ending for Mark.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Fat Turkey posted:

I think the programme stands a lot more on the side characters than I ever realised. Obviously Mark, Jez and Hans are good, but I don't feel the others in the Threeism and April were as funny or interesting as Toni, Nancy, Big Suz or Elena. Johnson and Sophie arent really there beyond cameo (Johnson is so wasted I wonder if they even wrote it with the character in mind).

I would assume that Patterson Joseph didn't have much time to actually film or they didn't really know what to do with his character but DID know they had to have him in there.
I feel like working at the bank wasn't a natural progression of his character after the last things he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
If you need more stuff now that peep show is over check out 'The Smoking Room' with Robert Webb. Not as good as Peep Show but its a decent sitcom that most people missed when it came out.

• Locked thread