Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Catfish Noodlin posted:

What's the longest that someone has aged their nog?

I still have a little bit of January 2013 left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Just made three bottles of eggnog, one for thanksgiving, two for christmas and new years using a slightly modified version of Alton's recipe with less sugar. Added three cups of brandy first, then the bf added a bit of rum and it tasted even better, then the rest of the bottle of rum and also the rest of the bottle of brandy went in for the batch's benefit. Next time I think I'm going strictly with whipping cream to thicken it up but Im looking forward to seeing how much a month changes the flavor.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I just made a batch based on the Alton Brown recipe and the 3 cups he uses definitely isn't enough booze IMO.

I ended up with about 4.5 cups blending madeira, rum, brandy, bourbon, and amaretto, and I'm still not sure if it's boozy enough. The batch I made with the Joy of Cooking recipe called for 4-6 cups, I'm not sure how much I ended up using but it basically was too boozy when fresh but mellowed out perfectly after a month or so.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've done 6 cups of 100 proof whiskey in the joy of cooking recipe and after a couple of weeks to take the edge off it could have even gone a little farther imo

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Gaz2k21 posted:

I believe Advocat is the same thing and it's sold in most supermarkets in the booze aisle.

Thanks, but I'm after non-alcoholic. I just wanna make eggnog lattes at home.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I nogged.

Not pictured: another full jar. Made 1.5 batches of the original recipe.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
I nogged today, too, but with some cheaper poo poo than you. Only made 1.5 litres because I've got a tiny refrigerator. Will just need to haul some off to work to store in their fridge.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

For some reason I want goon assurance on my old nogg.

I made with this recipe last year http://ruhlman.com/2014/11/holiday-classic-aged-eggnog/ Using jack, captain morgans and some brandy. Everything should still be fine right?

I drank some myself a week ago, but every time that I mention that it's been 1 full year since I made my nogg, my co-workers give me a weird look.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Renzuko posted:

I made with this recipe last year http://ruhlman.com/2014/11/holiday-classic-aged-eggnog/ Using jack, captain morgans and some brandy. Everything should still be fine right?

I drank some myself a week ago, but every time that I mention that it's been 1 full year since I made my nogg, my co-workers give me a weird look.

If it's nearly 50% booze, is well be fine.
Watch the video I quoted earlier and it explains that the longer the nog ages the better.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Renzuko posted:

It'll probably taste better than it did last year.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Made nog but liquor stores are closed on Sundays so I just used what I had on hand. 50/50 Ezra Brooks and OGD Bonded. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

As happy as I've been with brandy the last couple of years everyone around here is all gung ho about bourbon now so I'm thinking about spending a little more than usual for some respectable midshelf bourbon for my nog

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So the hardest part about noggin', is you can't drink the nog right away.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

whats stopping you?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'm considering not doing aged nog, this year. My massive 2013 batch is finally gone and I was just about the only person drinking it the entire time. I also prefer nog with whipped egg whites and will just make a smallish bowl for my wife and myself to work through one day of my January furlough.

Now that I've typed that, I think I am going to have to do an aged batch. I've got a couple work buddies who would probably appreciate a pint jar each of nog. Then set the balance of it in my fridge for me over the next couple years.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Now open it at a party and just rim the container with crasy straws.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Wanna stick my whole head in that

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

That bucket of holiday spirit made me look at the Joy of Cooking eggnog in quantity recipe, again. Has anyone aged it with the included egg whites? Assuming their projected volume of one gallon and the full six cups of 80 proof hooch, the refipe should have a 15% ABV and be alright? Most aged nogs seem to come in around 14%

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Butch Cassidy posted:

That bucket of holiday spirit made me look at the Joy of Cooking eggnog in quantity recipe, again. Has anyone aged it with the included egg whites? Assuming their projected volume of one gallon and the full six cups of 80 proof hooch, the refipe should have a 15% ABV and be alright? Most aged nogs seem to come in around 14%

I think the first year I made it I didn't bother to separate the eggs and it turned out good still.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

I have a feeling I also whipped up the egg whites the first time I made it, thinking I would serve it straight away, but then folded them in and refrigerated it. It wasn't aged for longer than three weeks, but I think it was fine.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Broke down and drank one small bottle of eggnog before thanksgiving so I made another gallon and a half

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

There's no shame in addiction.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

So I made some nog last night using the Joy of Cooking recipe and for the liquor I used dark rum, brandy, and bourbon at a 1:1:1 ratio. Did I make a mistake using 3 types like that instead of one or two? I am not so great with liquor. :ohdear:

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

El Disco posted:

So I made some nog last night using the Joy of Cooking recipe and for the liquor I used dark rum, brandy, and bourbon at a 1:1:1 ratio. Did I make a mistake using 3 types like that instead of one or two? I am not so great with liquor. :ohdear:

I made nog last year with that same combo, though different proportions. It's pretty good nog.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I just made 4.5 gallons to give out as xmas gifts last night.
I went through 3 handles of evan williams, 1 liter of Capt Morgan spiced rum and 1 liter of VSOP brandy. Ended up with 18 quart jars. I'm quite excited! I've been making it for about 5 years now (maybe more?) and I get tons of requests from friends.

Last year, I made 1 run using 'better' ingredients. I used eggs from a friends flock, unbleached sugar, bulleit bourbon and hennessy (forget what spiced rum). And then a batch of my normal as above. I really couldn't taste a difference between the 2 after a month of aging. I really don't feel like the better stuff is worth it.

As to using 3 liquors, I think it is worth it. The liquor is where most of the actual spices come from. Using a spiced rum and a vanilla brandy gives it some character.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Ok excellent, I just wanted to be sure. I have five quart jars of this stuff and I might end up gifting a few. But at least one is all mine.

drat, if this turns out well I might have to make this year round.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What is the cheapest brandy you would go with? I'm going to do Alton Brown's again, but like last time I'll halve the rum and replace it with rye. Last time I was almost out of Coruba but I had Rittenhouse lying around.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

El Disco posted:

dont overthink it itll be fine

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
E&J XO is pretty good mixer brandy and cheap at $11

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
E&J is what I used in mine. Tastes great 2 weeks in.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Cool, I'll use that. I think it will be 1 cup Benchmark, 1 cup E&J, 1/2 cup Rittenhouse, 1/2 cup dark rum.

What volume does Alton Brown's recipe make? Last time I made it I spilled some on the floor, but I don't know how much.

I think I'll make one batch for this Christmas and then make another for next Christmas once there's room in the fridge.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Nogging right now thanks to this thread! I went with less than half the sugar of Alton Brown's recipe, still it's more than enough. Delicious even unaged, but I can see how a few weeks/months would mellow it out a bit - and hopefully bring out the nutmeg a little more.

btw it's great having to make sure whether a dude is American or English to correctly translate the recipe to normal measurements, god forbid SI units became some sort of international standard

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

a cow posted:

btw it's great having to make sure whether a dude is American or English to correctly translate the recipe to normal measurements, god forbid SI units became some sort of international standard

The brits dont get to be smug about unit consistency lmao

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Control Volume posted:

The brits dont get to be smug about unit consistency lmao

What, no, both are dumb as hell. I'm from the rest of the world.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Oh I thought you were comparing them since a lot of british people like complaining about how americans get everything wrong when actually we're in a very competitive race to be worse than the other

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Speaking of Americans vs. Brits, anyone ever tried George Washington's eggnog? Four different kinds of booze, sweet Christmas. :stare:

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I made Alton Brown's nog tonight for my Xmas party. Didn't really consider cutting the sugar but it tasted good to me, so I can't imagine how it'll taste in a few weeks.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Anyone ever try nogging with Rumchata?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

On the one hand I want to make this, but on the other I don't wanna spend 75 bucks in booze. Can I make this with white rum, which I happen to have lying around, or will that taste like rear end?

EDIT: To be clear I mean like, ONLY white rum. Just pour in a big jug of it into some eggs.

Kaedric fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 9, 2016

• Locked thread