Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
I can just imagine Stubb taking a few lines of coke before walking into a negotiation room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
It's extremely naive to think that the immigrants won't be a huge drain on our budget.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Friendly Tumour posted:

Everybody below the poverty line should just be shot imho.

Yeah I mean I've just heard arguments about how Finland will actually benefit from all this, and while I don't hold a strong opinion one way or the other (we definitely should help people, but we can't help too many because the world is a bottomless well), I do hope that facts are acknowledged.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

doverhog posted:

The claims that we will "benefit from all this" are about the long term, and with the caveat that integration is successful.

Yes I agree.

A big caveat. :D

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Oldsmobile posted:

Actually, pumping money in to taking care of a bunch of people boosts the economy.

Pumping money into useful things boosts the economy. What you're saying is that we should hire 200000 people to dig a hole and another 200000 to fill it to have less unemployed.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Ligur posted:

Hooray. Perhaps hiking taxes would help!!!1

How do ya'll explain this? That Suomi is filthy rich, actually, this all is fake and/or tilastoharha, who cares I can still afford my Oltermanni, kill the rich, what else.

In my humble opinion something is broken and it appears Finland isn't really a markkinatalous. For example when the economy in Spain started diving the result was everything being dirt cheap over there in a jiffy. Here? Nothing happens.

Prkleen kartellit.

I'd say that a big part of this problem is due to astronomical cost of housing in the Helsinki region.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

lmao can they keep going like this for full four years? That would be quite an achievement.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
I was just listening to Graveyard from our good neighbour, and this song fits with our leaders so nicely it's almost like cosmic guidance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAjY97014V4

quote:

There are three things
that leads to pain
I think the horned man
has done his best

The first one is booze,
your life it drains
Takes you to prison,
criminally insane

Satan's finest,
well, that's for sure
Making you want them
and begging for more

The second is money,
brings the world to an end
The rich men are leaders,
the poor, they can starve

The worst one is women,
they must be hell-sent
Tearing your soul out
and makes you drink more

Satan's finest,
well, that's for sure
Making you want them
and begging for more

God in heaven,
the shepherd above
will die in his grave
Satan is smiling,
your soul he will save

His kingdom is filled
with those who believe
the meaning of life
is one of those three

Satan's finest,
well, that's for sure
Making you want them
and begging for more

Satan's finest,
well, that's for sure
Making you want them
and begging for more

Making you want them
and begging for more

Satan's finest,
well, that's for sure
Making you want them
and begging for more

Booze is Soini. Being the leader of the ostarijuoppo party, there's no better match.
Money is obviously Stubb. Could also be Sipilä, but...
Sipilä is "women" symbolically, because his sexual frustrations due to living in a weird puritan cult lead him to insanity.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Puistokemisti posted:

Buying, preparing, miscalculating the timer and staying up until 3am watching the temperature slowly climb has basically become a Christmas tradition at this point for my father and I wouldn't dare to rob him of that joy.

There are these modern temperature meters which alert you once the meat reaches a set temperature.

Just DO NOT follow the instructions on any packages, because then you will have ham dryer than the sahara desert. For regular pork roasts, I typically turn off power when it reaches 70 degrees, and once it reaches 73, I take it out and it's always wonderful and juicy. And never have the oven on higher temperature than 125. Can't remember how I do christmas butthams, but it's probably something like that except everything just takes longer.

E: I also buy ham after christmas because it's cheaper than potatoes at that point. Parents will buy the actual christmas ham anyway so no need to bother.

SnowblindFatal fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 14, 2015

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm feeling up for some aurajuusto now. Tried other blue cheeses but they are so mild, almost tasteless. Aurajuusto packs a punch, it's like a well deserved knife in the neck for speaking swedish in the hot dog queue on a saturday night.

Cascade Failure posted:

Hell yeah. I made some chicken with aurajuusto-cream sauce this past weekend, poo poo was tasty. Like a knife in a swedu-back -tasty.

lol

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

OhYeah posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ice-reveal.html

Not exactly Finnish news but since I'm not allowed to post in the Cathedral of Cancer that is the Scandinavian thread, I might as well leave it here. I'm pretty sure there are additional "isolated cases" in Finland as well. Good times.

Finnish Politics Megathread II: Asylum of Something Awful

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Yeah like who doesn't have NEDM cat, cliff puppy, Russian car crash compilations and a few ISIS beheading videos on his phone? Sheesh, hypocrites!

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Hahah yeah that argument is totally null. Maybe if Hitler felt bad in the end, he should've been given a new chance!

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Yeah that's what you when you feel sorry at that situation.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
I wonder if folks will realise the number of purposes their public information can be used for.

If something is possible, it will eventually happen, unless that thing becomes impossible at some point. It is a mathematical fact.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

I, too, think that e.g. a registry of stock ownership, the access to which is regulated by law and that is maintained for the purpose of making sure that everybody is paying their taxes (and thus somewhat important for the continued functioning of society) is on the same level as some randos datamining people's personal information for the explicit purpose of harassing people they dislike.

GP'd again. And again and again and again.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
You know, I'm just waiting for the day GP gets tired of his charade and admits that he is a caricature gimmick account.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
I'm not saying we should convict people due to their appearances, but I dare anyone of you to tell me that Auer doesn't look like a goddamn psychopath.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

vuohi posted:

You can't tell that from someone's picture.

Our evolution has developed us to see the madness in other people.

E: Sorry for your autism.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Rexroom posted:

I bet you also believe Auer was a satanist who had orgies with her children.

That is something she was jailed for btw, along with some poor sod who got caught up in that whirlpool of bullshit.

So you don't disagree with me?

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Really, am I the only one who gets ultracreepy vibes from Auer?

vuohi posted:

Well if that's true, then I guess only autists get murdered by crazy people, since they can't see it coming.
Also of course it's not 100% accurate. I hope you aren't claiming that our brains don't have a lot of hardwired mechanisms for spotting unstable people. The autism thing was a joke because I insinuated that you are unable to read people's faces. And jokes apparently. :mmmhmm:

SnowblindFatal fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 18, 2015

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Though many journalists have said they get an honest vibe from Stubb. How on earth, I have no idea, but I guess some folks have shitpoor people reading skills.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

doverhog posted:

Look Snow I'm sure you are great at spotting evil defective people all around you but the question why our police and court system hosed the case up so badly is more interesting than whether or not Auer has crazy face or if goats are autists.

Yeah, of course it's funny as hell how badly an investigation can be botched, but if the people handling the case were anything like our friends in huumepoliisi, they probably had their own personal businesses occupying their minds at the moment.

vuohi posted:

Your perception about Auer is probably coloured a little by the context you first saw her in.
Probably true. Would be interesting to know if I had gotten the same impression without any information of her. However, I'm sure there are plenty of confirmed killers who don't have those kinds of crazy eyes.

SnowblindFatal fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 19, 2015

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Personally I wouldn't let lit candles anywhere near my hair but I'm a tradition loathing hatemongrel.

Or do they use electric lamps these days? I remember 10 years ago I always looked in terror as multiple girls subjected themselves to terrible risk.

Kinda amazing how that was ok when throwing snowballs was forbidden and our experiments with bunsen burners would've been completely out of the question had we gotten caught. Still I say that the latter two were far safer than sticking a dozen or so candles to a crown and putting that crown onto your head.

SnowblindFatal fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 22, 2015

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Ahh, I always wondered what happened to that guy.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Sent this to my dear old city:

quote:

Hei. Muutin hiljattain Jakomäkeen, ja olen pettynyt ja huolissani uimahallin sisäänpääsyn aikataulutuksesta.

Naisten erityisvuoro tiistaisin on vähintäänkin eriskummallinen. Vaikuttaisi vahvasti näkemäni perusteella, että ajatus tuon takana on antaa mahdollisuus häveliäämmistä kulttuureista tulleille ihmisille uimahallissa käymiseen. Muuta en edes lähde spekuloimaan, koska en osaa päätellä kaikkia tähän järjestelyyn johtaneita perusteluita. Mielelläni tosin kuulisin ne.

Kuitenkin tämä mielestäni nakertaa sitä tasa-arvon kulttuuria, jota kaikkialla maailmassa pitäisi vaalia. Koko ikänäni en ole havainnut mitään haittaa miesten ja naisten yhteisistä uimavuoroista, joten tämänkaltainen järjestely tuntuu järjenvastaiselta. Vähän kuin virastossa tai ruokakaupassa asioimiseen olisi erikseen naisille varattu ajankohta.

Lisäksi ihmetyttää, että jos sukupuolitettuja uintivuoroja järjestetään, ne ovat vain naisille.

Minkään kulttuurin negatiivisten aspektien perusteella ei pitäisi antaa erityisvapauksia tai -oikeuksia. Erityisesti kun kyseessä on uimahallin käyttö, mikä ei mielestäni ole minkäänlainen perusoikeus.

Näkisin myös, että tämänkaltainen erottelu on omiaan hidastamaan integraatiota suomalaiseen kulttuuriin, lisää paikallisväestön vihamielisyyttä vieraan kulttuurin edustajia kohtaan ja aiheuttaa täysin tarpeettomia lisäkustannuksia uimahallin ylläpidossa, johon kuitenkin kaikki joutuvat osallistumaan.

Toivoisin, että tämä käytäntö lopetetaan, ja uimahallissa siirrytään kaikille yhteisiin aukioloaikoihin tasa-arvon ja mukavan yhteiselon nimessä.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Great article. Applies to life in general. Not just this one topic.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Poster "vuohi" thinks Mika Kaurismäki makes good movies. Makes you think what else he gets wrong.

A person who hasn't seen Arvottomat

Cerebral Bore posted:

The only Finnish film in the past 30 years that's worth a drat is Leningrad Cowboys Go America. Y'all know this to be true.

A person who has seen only one of Aki's movies.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Wheany posted:

I was shocked at how good Iron sky actually was. Also to a lesser extent Rare Exports

Iron Sky suffered heavily from a "designed by committee" syndrome imo. The movie didn't have a real edge. Star Wreck was superior.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Considering that these are the same people who claim that cannabis drives people to psychosis, I wouldn't put much weight on this.

To me it seems absurd that people wouldn't be as willing to off themselves if they just didn't have a gun around. That Finns commit suicides often might just be because we've a more hosed up culture than the other countries mentioned. We do it with guns often because we simply have an absurd number of weapons around. Furthermore, if a person is not allowed to decide when to end his life, what kind of freedom is this? This seems like one of those perverse cases where life has a value so high that the quality of life doesn't matter at all.

I don't think we would gain pretty much anything by making the laws stricter.

E: How's about making mental healthcare available to more people? Right now you gotta be a total trainwreck to get any sorts of help without having to pay through the nose.

SnowblindFatal fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 31, 2015

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Ligur posted:

meitsipä on ampunut aidolla isoisien työkalupystykorvalla, mutta en ollut kyllä sotiemme sankarien veroinen mitä osumiseen tulee, ammuin sillä ihan päin vittua, lempirynnäkkökiväärini on Steyr AUG, sen optiikan kanssa on sangen terminaattori olo ja on vaikeampaa ampua ohi kuin osua just mihin haluaa, pistoolikseni valitsen glocking, ja haulikoista kovin on ehdottomasti... drumroll... semiautomaatti Saiga-12, 8 maalia n. 5-15 metrista nurin 3-4 sekunnissa

Tell us ur favourite gun to shoot ITT!!!1

Only RK62 here. I almost got to shoot the light machinegun and I was booked for the machinegunner role but then in the last minute our trainer said that Pekkanen (an rear end in a top hat supreme, hated by all) got the gig for no reason whatsoever. gently caress that guy.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Ligur posted:

You should have been like me, bro, to shoot the KVKK more often. I always (INTTITARINA - INCOMING) always volunteered for the fortress communications team which included a KVKK (between two persons), teh magical light machinegun of much meteli, and our superiors really really hated my guts (much like the guys in ScandiPol?!) because I kept throwing snowballs at them and stuff during patrols. So as a punishment I always had to carry the light machinegun for the team... which was exactly what I wanted.

Then I would smoke the most dank weed, see invisible targets, and unload the machinegun into the night. So fun. (Not with live ammo apart from shooting range, sorry guys I wasn't endangering anyone.)

Hahahaha holy poo poo, sounds loving awesome. I wasn't so much in the dank culture back in the day but if I were, I'd have the best cookies for the forest trips.

Did you actually snowball the skapparit or just the people who arrived 6 months earlier and were thus somehow better human beings? If the former then goddamn. :D

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Darkest Auer posted:

Just like people in the Middle East have stopped stoning/beheading people to death oh wait

Look - and I might reveal myself as a Ligur here - education is the only solution. Cultural relativism and the whole "oh, it's their culture" nonsense is hurting the very people suvakkis are trying to protect. Religions are the worst and it is laughable that in tyool 2016 there is still an official Church in Finland.

Edit: kill everyone

The problem here is that if we start criticising the aspects of some culture in general, it would also put our own culture under scrutiny, and that's something undesirable to most people, including our leaders. That we still allow institutionalised insanity instead of giving the people mental treatment is kind of boggling until you start thinking of the practical problems that might rise if we actually tried to raise a generation of philosophers and teach people to be critical of anything they encounter in life. Finland could very well cease to exist if that somehow happened. Patriotism and other such unifying concepts might be gone.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Rexroom posted:

Not to worry, we have hockey. :v:

I just started at a new job and I'm thinking of some way to express that I haven't really ever felt any sort of "company spirit" and that I still try to be the best I can to other people.

This place has clubs and activities pouring out of the ears.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
It's a bit like how people think that what the human race is doing is somehow "bad" for the planet, when we are just as much part of Earth's nature as any other species. There are similar thought patterns in immigration discussion too, imo.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Rexroom posted:

"our system can't cope with it" "leech the welfare state dry"
Aren't these the same thing?

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
I don't understand. How is one bad and the other not?

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

OhYeah posted:

Everyone is equal, before God or the Universe or whatever you want to believe in. I can absolutely agree with that. It's very hard to apply that broad notion to everyday socio-political interactions between disparate cultures.

I didn't actually mean my comment as support for cultural relativism which I find is bullshit the moment a culture has an avoidable negative impact on anything. I wanted to make a comparison with people who think that there is something inherently wrong with exploiting natural resources and to people who think that there is something inherently wrong with restricting immigration. Both can be seen as tools with their up and downsides.

Even if deep down I am a hardcore "nothing really matters" hippie, I don't let that get in the way of the happiness of myself and my fellow people. I guess the big question in practical politics is as to who to consider "fellow people", but quite frankly I'm happy I don't have to make the call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

OhYeah posted:

How very realpolitik of you.

Refreshing, I quite enjoy the sensation.

Thanks regardless of the irony levels. :haw: