Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

CommieGIR posted:

.....other countries are doing more in US Nuclear development....so, yes. Like China, France, Russia, etc.

And no, its not just the greens.

"other countries are doing more in US Nuclear development" doesn't parse, come again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

"other countries are doing more in US Nuclear development" doesn't parse, come again?

I mean't to type Nuclear development. Phone posting.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The best hope for pioneering nuclear technology is almost certainly China, IMO. Largely because they have the greatest need to switch their baseline to something else ASAP, and their space program has demonstrated they have no qualms with accidents wiping out small cities in the name of advancement.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

CommieGIR posted:

I mean't to type Nuclear development. Phone posting.

I was talking about US nuclear development, I'm aware other countries are different.

In the US, "greens" have literally zero responsibility for the lack of nuclear development. Based on what this thread says, though, you'd think Greenpeace had more power than the US Government.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

I was talking about US nuclear development, I'm aware other countries are different.

In the US, "greens" have literally zero responsibility for the lack of nuclear development. Based on what this thread says, though, you'd think Greenpeace had more power than the US Government.

Had more power? No. Have done a lot to make sure there is as much opposition as possible that they can generate combined with the Sierra Club and others? Yes.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Had more power? No. Have done a lot to make sure there is as much opposition as possible that they can generate combined with the Sierra Club and others? Yes.

I think the point is just that unless the issue is a really minimal lifestyle change that also no or a positive impact on profit margins (see, say, cutting up six pack rings or switching to reusable grocery bags), nobody gives a gently caress what "the greens" say. It's the equivalent of saying that grandmas everywhere have been opposed to nuclear power so we can't get any political will for it. Grandmas have about the same amount of impact on this scale as environmental groups.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

CommieGIR posted:

And if those groups had any political power at all, that'd mean something.

The real answer is that nuke plants are expensive, and because of the way utility companies are organized (and paid) in many states, they have no incentive to invest in nuclear.

tuyop posted:

I think the point is just that unless the issue is a really minimal lifestyle change that also no or a positive impact on profit margins (see, say, cutting up six pack rings or switching to reusable grocery bags), nobody gives a gently caress what "the greens" say. It's the equivalent of saying that grandmas everywhere have been opposed to nuclear power so we can't get any political will for it. Grandmas have about the same amount of impact on this scale as environmental groups.

I strongly disagree, elderly American women exert far more political power than American "greens".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

The real answer is that nuke plants are expensive, and because of the way utility companies are organized (and paid) in many states, they have no incentive to invest in nuclear.

Agreed. I've pointed this out three or four times now. Its part of why I'm not a fan of privatized power companies.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

CommieGIR posted:

Agreed. I've pointed this out three or four times now. Its part of why I'm not a fan of privatized power companies.

I'm not talking solely to you, more to the other folks that repeatedly point out how climate change would be solved if only it weren't for those meddling greens, much like the problems with capitalism would be solved if only it weren't for those Trotskyist Marxists (a group with similar political strength to American greens)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Living in a major economy where those meddling greens get to sit in various governments gives another perspective :hitler:, but even in the US where greens are less of a factor and have yet to complete the transition to bleeding heart neoliberals, it's never not funny to see them take the same side as coal companies or be turbo conservatives of a different shade.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
You misunderstand, greens are not "less of" a factor, they are a literal, objective nonfactor into why nuclear isn't being developed in the US. There are no "greens" in the US Congress, nor would any American know who you were talking about if you asked them who "greens" were.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

The green party doesn't need its own congresscritters for wacky paleoenvironmentalism (:v:) to have nonzero effects on derailing actually sustainable things. Poll people on "nuclear power is environmentally friendly, yes/no?" and the reason that at least a good proportion of people will answer no is not entirely unrelated to every environmentalist organisation ever decrying nuclear as the worst thing since sliced bread for a good long time. Of course, every fossil fuel company ever also wants less nuclear to sell more coal and gas fired power stations, but it's silly to suggest that environmentalist hysteria doesn't make their job easier by making anti nuclear everything look better and by providing talking heads on TV and as advisors.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Nuclear power is uneconomical without public support. Public support is low. This is one reason we do not create incentives to develop it. In contrast, renewable energy is uneconomical without public support. Public support is high. This is one reason we create incentives to develop it.

The yapping of environmentalist idiots contributes to the low public support, but that is a problem that is trivially solved just by throwing money at it. Nobody is going to change their votes based on this. The issue would not be drowning out the yappy environmentalist idiots, but the money that spills in from the rest of the energy sector to combat expansion of nuclear energy.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Nuclear power is uneconomical without public support. Public support is low. This is one reason we do not create incentives to develop it. In contrast, renewable energy is uneconomical without public support. Public support is high. This is one reason we create incentives to develop it.

The yapping of environmentalist idiots contributes to the low public support, but that is a problem that is trivially solved just by throwing money at it. Nobody is going to change their votes based on this. The issue would not be drowning out the yappy environmentalist idiots, but the money that spills in from the rest of the energy sector to combat expansion of nuclear energy.

You underestimate the hysteria of the uninformed, and everyone (including all of us smugging about the mighty atom on the internet) is uninformed about most things because time is limited and people do things besides reading the news and educating themselves about technical details.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

blowfish posted:

You underestimate the hysteria of the uninformed, and everyone (including all of us smugging about the mighty atom on the internet) is uninformed about most things because time is limited and people do things besides reading the news and educating themselves about technical details.

The uninformed do not have serious positions about nuclear power and would be swayed by forceful campaigning. The entire debate over energy policy w/r/t global warming in the US shows that reality has little bearing on opinions; when facts and economics are on the same side, then there is absolutely no difficulty in bringing people over.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

The uninformed do not have serious positions about nuclear power and would be swayed by forceful campaigning. The entire debate over energy policy w/r/t global warming in the US shows that reality has little bearing on opinions; when facts and economics are on the same side, then there is absolutely no difficulty in bringing people over.

No and because of two words nuclear weapons

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Where do you get the idea that public support has any meaningful impact on the economic viability of nuclear, renewables, or other electricity generation technology?

The price of wind and solar hasn't been falling because of public support its been falling because the manufacturing processes and equipment has been improving. Likewise, the rise and fall of nuclear in the public eye hasn't really impacted the price of operating or building new plants.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

So eliminating subsidies (or more relevantly, going back in time and never introducing them) would have no impact on development?

I also think you misread my point; the profitability of the technology is all that matters, and public support can influence that, but it's not a major factor.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I also think you misread my point; the profitability of the technology is all that matters, and public support can influence that, but it's not a major factor.

No it isn't

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

No it isn't

Why is coal power still in use?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Why is coal power still in use?

Because its cheap and profitable.

Maybe I misunderstood your point: But it SHOULDN'T matter, and its why for profit power companies are a problem.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 18, 2015

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

Because its cheap and profitable.

Maybe I misunderstood your point: But its SHOULDN'T matter, and its why for profit power companies are a problem.

Ah, yeah, I see how I was unclear. I agree.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
That also depends on what you mean by "profitable." The problem with coal is that it's actually kind of expensive to clean it up. The issue is that it is not immediately expensive. The effects get felt later by people dealing with the pollution or paying to clean it up. It's cheap to burn coal if you ignore the other costs related. It does serious environmental damage that can gently caress up the profitability of other things.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That also depends on what you mean by "profitable." The problem with coal is that it's actually kind of expensive to clean it up. The issue is that it is not immediately expensive. The effects get felt later by people dealing with the pollution or paying to clean it up. It's cheap to burn coal if you ignore the other costs related. It does serious environmental damage that can gently caress up the profitability of other things.

Yeah, that is the biggest issue: Its cheap RIGHT NOW, but its a mess in reality.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, that is the biggest issue: Its cheap RIGHT NOW, but its a mess in reality.

It's incredibly difficult to explain that to people, though. "Those people down stream" don't exist. The corn industry is just another example; it's loving up the fishing industry in the Gulf of Mexico by washing nitrates down the river, but who cares? We need that loving corn.

Power generation is the same. All the lead and mercury end up in the food supply but gently caress it. Drill, baby, drill! Burn everything!

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Nuclear power is uneconomical without public support. Public support is low.

Support for nuclear power is surprisingly high given that pretty much no one is campaigning for it or pushing for it:

You're right, though, that relative to other power generation methods, it doesn't do so well:

Source: http://www.gallup.com/poll/182180/support-nuclear-energy.aspx

Uranium Phoenix fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 19, 2015

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Uranium Phoenix posted:

You're right, though, that relative to other power generation methods, it doesn't do so well:

Source: [url=http://www.gallup.com/poll/182180/support-nuclear-energy.aspx]
This is a pointless poll question. You might as well also add in "Generate power by rubbing the tummies of puppies" and note with interest when 99% of Americans want to put more emphasis on it. It would be really odd if the green, friendly energy sources like wind and solar did not win the popularity contest, but power grids are not maintained by happy thoughts. Nuclear is the greenest base load generator that we know of, and it is insane that we are not building more nuclear plants.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

The company's CEO (in regulated states) would love more than anything to build nuclear if he could justify it to the comission. It would greatly increase short term profits in absolute terms. Rates are set by giving a rate of return on capital investment and nothing is more capital intensive than nuclear.

I think you underestimate the political power of Big Fossil.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

cheese posted:

This is a pointless poll question. You might as well also add in "Generate power by rubbing the tummies of puppies" and note with interest when 99% of Americans want to put more emphasis on it. It would be really odd if the green, friendly energy sources like wind and solar did not win the popularity contest, but power grids are not maintained by happy thoughts. Nuclear is the greenest base load generator that we know of, and it is insane that we are not building more nuclear plants.

Well now hold on a sec, don't just discount your Puppy Tummy Rubbing initiative here. That's a green, renewable source of energy right there!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It's truly amazing how environmentalists can't get anyone to do poo poo (go vegan, buy electric cars, etc.) but somehow they're murderously effective at preventing nuclear power. Maybe we have something to learn from them?

Of course there's zero evidence that environmentalists are the drivers behind American anti-nuclear sentiment, but who cares, it FEELS right. Surely PETA and Greenpeace are bigger influences than, say, hysterical MSM reporting of what happened in Fukushima or Three Mile Island.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 18, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

hey now the proportion of vegans is increasing and whole foods of all things rakes in as much money as ~monsanto~

also note the distinction between "nonzero negative effect" and "sufficient as a sole driver"

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

blowfish posted:

hey now the proportion of vegans is increasing and whole foods of all things rakes in as much money as ~monsanto~

also note the distinction between "nonzero negative effect" and "sufficient as a sole driver"

Considering vegans make up 0.5% of the US population I'm firmly comfortable saying they have a zero negative effect. The link between veganism and Whole Foods is pretty odd, though - you are aware they sell plenty of animal products there?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Radbot posted:

Considering vegans make up 0.5% of the US population I'm firmly comfortable saying they have a zero negative effect. The link between veganism and Whole Foods is pretty odd, though - you are aware they sell plenty of animal products there?

Whole foods is about organic farming, a thing that people usually care about because they're hipsters who want to be associated with it since it's supposed to have something to do with the environment.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

blowfish posted:

Whole foods is about organic farming, a thing that people usually care about because they're hipsters who want to be associated with it since it's supposed to have something to do with the environment.

Sure thing, champ. Now tie that back to the issue at hand.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Look we are splitting hairs here, "dumbass regressive wannabe-greens are bad" and "media hysteria and fossil fuel lobbying are larger contributors to anti-nuclear sentiment" are not mutually exclusive.

Radbot posted:

Sure thing, champ. Now tie that back to the issue at hand.

Greens don't have congresscritters in Amerikkka but environmentalism has a nonzero influence on society and should thus make sure it's a good influence.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

blowfish posted:

Greens don't have congresscritters in Amerikkka but environmentalism has a nonzero influence on society and should thus make sure it's a good influence.

Well when that "nonzero influence" amounts to a dozen smelly people nobody listens to, compared to lovely MSM journalism about the NUCLEAR DISASTER IN FUKUSHIMA!!, the comparison is in bad faith at least.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:lol:

I'd take having an anti nuclear green party congresscritter over having every environmental NGO screaming at the top of their lungs that nucular is bad any day. The former is one more dumb congresscritter (but I am repeating myself), the latter tells everyone that nuclear power is bad for the environment, gives everyone on the planet cancer, and hates freedom

In addition, there exists a world outside Amerikkka where nuclear reactors can also be built and where greens actually get elected on top of anti nuclear wannabe-environmentalist screeching.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Radbot posted:

Well when that "nonzero influence" amounts to a dozen smelly people nobody listens to, compared to lovely MSM journalism about the NUCLEAR DISASTER IN FUKUSHIMA!!, the comparison is in bad faith at least.

I hate to join this horrible argument but in the United States Environmental Nonprofits easily mobilize 10,000s of people funded by hundreds of millions of dollars and while they may not have a huge role in setting national energy policy they are definitely important at local scales.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
People are afraid of nuclear because of high media profile events like fukushima Chernobyl and three mile. And also whenever Israel blowd one up in the ME.

Green politics have little to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Uncle Jam posted:

People are afraid of nuclear because of high media profile events like fukushima Chernobyl and three mile. And also whenever Israel blowd one up in the ME.

Green politics have little to do with it.

That's not to say there are no rabidly anti-nuclear greenies.