Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Nukes, nukes, and more nukes.

And some Solar and wind sprinkled around for good measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GulMadred posted:

Why?

Commercial deployment of fusion tech will be subject to many of the challenges faced by fission plants: high capital costs, arduous permitting and inspections processes, infeasibility of private-sector insurance coverage, management+disposal of radioactive wastes, and nuclear weapons proliferation risk. It would enjoy a political and popular-opinion advantage over fission power, but public sentiment could always turn against it (due to cronyism in the allotment of research grants, public-financed plants going badly overbudget, tritium leaks at research facilities, persistent inability to achieve breakeven after spending hundreds of billions of taxpayers dollars, or whatever). I doubt that the first-generation commercial plants would be cost-competitive with natgas, unless your time machine can somehow convince Congress to pass a carbon tax.

So... what do we acually gain by accelerating fusion research in this hypothetical scenario? Aside from nerdboners.

Also - please remember that people are stupid. The Sierra Club has been pre-emptively opposed to fusion power since 1986.

The Sierra club is hilarious, because its mostly a bunch of rich environmentalist woo peddlers who want everyone to return to nature.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Effectronica posted:

Extending the use of nuclear power significantly is not practical on a near-future timescale without the kind of massive effort and expenditure you could also use for poo poo like geoengineering, global modernization of all industrial equipment, and so on.

We're going to spend triple that with renewable grids anyways, nuclear is starting to look cheaper.

But no, nuclear we at least have even certified Gen III plant designs, geoengineering is still largely a big 'If'. And I cannot even imagine the cost of a global industrial modernization, but I guarantee it far outpaces the cost of a nuclear buildout.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bubbacub posted:

Is there a way to quantify how destructive uranium mining is vs. coal mining per unit of power generated?

https://enochthered.wordpress.com/2009/01/09/the-environmental-footprints-of-coal-and-uranium-mining/

Coal Mining is massively more destructive, as its generally strip mined out, due to the sheer mass in tons of coal you need to mine to generate said amount of power.

Uranium mining is a lot more targeted and needs to mine less total tonnage to generate the same amount of power.

quote:

In 2007-2008, Ranger produced 5273 tonnes of U3O8.

A conventional, relatively inefficient low-enriched uranium fuelled LWR with a thermal (primary energy) power output of about 3 GW requires approximately 200 tonnes of U3O8 to be mined to fuel it for one year, assuming that newly mined uranium is used for all its fuel.

Therefore, the annual uranium output from Ranger corresponds to about 2.5 x 1018 J of primary energy, or about 8.6 times the primary energy content supplied by the coal mine.

That is, that one uranium mine supplies the same amount of energy content as nine of the coal mines – one seemingly quite small uranium mine, which is about a third of the size of the coal mine, supplies the same amount of primary energy content as this. (I won’t embed that image in the post, since it will probably completely destroy the formatting of the page.)

quote:

This is a coal mine. Specifically, it’s the Blair Athol coal mine in central Queensland, Australia, but there’s no special reason why I chose this specific example of a coal mine. The mine produces 12 megatonnes of coal per year. (This is just a satellite image taken from Google Maps, which anybody can of course easily access

Coal has a thermal energy content of about 25 MJ/kg, and therefore 12 megatonnes of coal corresponds to a primary energy content of about 2.9 x 1017 J.

So tonnes versus mega-tonnes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Effectronica posted:

Yep! Think about that one for a while.

Stop making me sad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Just a somber reminder that we've likely already hit 1*C change thanks to all the extra CO2 from the fires in Indonesia :smith:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

blowfish posted:

And that won't get better - rainforests become more vulnerable after initial disturbance because they need quite a while to rebuild the dense vegetation that maintains high humidity and thereby lowers fire risk, so regrowth forests (and newly-exposed forest edges) will be more easily burned.

Yup, and Rainforest in South America is still being decimated at an alarming rate.

We're already halfway to the 2*C limit that we set for ourselves. And we're barely into the 2000s.

How are u posted:

Yeah I understand why they are the way they are (growing up in the 60s-80s didn't help either with the specter of MAD looming over your head) but holy poo poo is it frustrating. I find I have to bite my tongue often because I enjoy my job and the envrio-community does do good work and relentlessly advocates for social and environmental justice.

Nukes and GMOs, like you mentioned, are just terribly frustrating to me.

Having to explain to multiple people that nuclear reactors cannot blow up like nuclear bombs is frustrating. Half of the people I explain this to have been under the assumption thank to years of misinformation that nuclear power plants are like nuclear bombs in your back yard.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

brakeless posted:

Gave a little talk today at my school on geoengineering.

Please god let politicians never get it into their heads that we can solve climate problems by dumping sulfates into the atmosphere.

"To solve this massive amount of chemicals we dumped, lets dump some more chemicals"

Didn't they recently find the dispersants used in the Gulf of Mexico are having some really bad side effects?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arkane posted:

Hundreds of millions of Indians live in extreme poverty. Lifting them out of that is their #1 priority, not whether Earth is 1-2 C warmer a hundred years from now.

Ahahahahahahaha! Yeah, they actually give a poo poo about their underclass. That's be a switch.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arkane posted:

Bzzt. Food production is growing faster than population, and has been for a very long time.

edit: India produces around 3000 kilograms of cereal yield per hectare, roughly half of what is produced in the United States, so the potential is there for India to increase its food output by a very large amount.

Here is the World Bank showing worldwide food production of cereals (wheat, rice, etc.) per hectare:

As you can see, it is increasing rapidly...

...and will continue to do so:

Food scarcity is a completely idiotic bogeyman.

Surely Arkane would not cite flawed data. No way, no how.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arkane posted:

I guess peak phosphorous is the new peak oil.

Another imaginary problem.

:allears: Because oil will last forever, amirite?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Verge posted:

Plant moar trees.

The Palin Answer: "Trees love CO2!"

We are outpacing the trees. The trees are not a perfectly CO2 sink, and like any filter, can be over-saturated beyond their capacity

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Verge posted:

Thank you. Also, I'm horrified for being on the same side of the fence as Palin.

Oh, no, I just brought that up because she literally said that. Oh, and Bachmann did too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Verge posted:

Also dude wtf cash for clunkers the gently caress is wrong w/ you?

....are you saying you LIKED Cash for Clunkers? And would you like to know how wrong you are?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Verge posted:

It got a lot of poo poo cars off the streets. What didn't you like?

It took good, working cars off the streets, put those cars owners in debt to keep the American Automotive Industry floating, and actually was incredibly environmentally detrimental. It damaged the used car scene for at least a decade or more.

For instance: You just chastised someone for keeping an 92 Geo Metro (likely a joke, I know) but do you know what sort of fuel milage the 1992 Geo Metro got?

46 MPG City.
50 MPG Highway.

Cash for Clunkers was an abject failure and an incredible environmental tragedy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Verge posted:

I don't understand. It sounds like he's anti-nuclear and I'm pro-nuclear.

Read carefully. He is bemoaning the Green Party's response to the extension of the reactor licenses.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arkane posted:

I believe the radius can be much higher in the US, although I don't know for certain.

Also, solar can be much more efficient than that. The Solar Star project that was completed this year has a 580 MW capacity on 13 sq km (which would be .044 GW/sq km).

It took 1.7 Million panels to do that AND 13 sq KM.

Or, I could do 2,333 MW in 2 sq KM with nuclear.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

Wow, a carbon sequestration plant that mitigates the carbon of 60 households' worth of transportation (not their heating, cooling, etc.). Truly, technology will be our savior.

Well, you see, if we collect the carbon, we can burn it again! Progress!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rime posted:

Nationalize the existing reactors and then build everything under the control of a federal utility, like a modern and civilized country. Since the mandate is to cover operating and upgrade costs, rather than a profit motive, power costs to consumers drop through the floor.

Private ownership of power generation is loving dumb, what is this, 1889?

This. Power Companies are so busy chasing cheap power generation methods to make a profit, we need to cut them out of the picture.

It'll never happen, but I can dream.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Private, vertically integrated power companies in states with favorable regulation would love to build nuclear plants. They get guaranteed loans (or can even start collecting projected costs during planning) and make huge capital expenditures which means more money for shareholders. The issue is that there's not a lot of justifiable need for baseline capacity right now until coal plants actually have to start being shut down.

In states without vertically integrated generation there's even less desire to build baseline capacity because it doesn't make money.

.....that was my point. In the face of climate change, power companies are still focused on short term profitable needs instead of urgent solutions and cutting out cheap energy solutions.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Verge posted:

The CEO is contractually obligated to maximize profit, the environment not withstanding. His employees are obligated to follow his orders. Teaching a CEO ethics doesn't help anything, his hands are tied.

Again, which was the point of why privatized power generation is an awful idea.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

The company's CEO (in regulated states) would love more than anything to build nuclear if he could justify it to the comission. It would greatly increase short term profits in absolute terms. Rates are set by giving a rate of return on capital investment and nothing is more capital intensive than nuclear.

I find this incredibly hard to believe. Either way, the issue at hand is allowing essential infrastructure to be governed by organizations with profit being their primary goal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

Is this the thread where we pretend that "greens" are somehow preventing US nuclear development singlehandedly despite being completely irrelevant to every other conceivable issue?

.....other countries are doing more in Nuclear development....so, yes. Like China, France, Russia, etc.

And no, its not just the greens.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 17, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

"other countries are doing more in US Nuclear development" doesn't parse, come again?

I mean't to type Nuclear development. Phone posting.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

I was talking about US nuclear development, I'm aware other countries are different.

In the US, "greens" have literally zero responsibility for the lack of nuclear development. Based on what this thread says, though, you'd think Greenpeace had more power than the US Government.

Had more power? No. Have done a lot to make sure there is as much opposition as possible that they can generate combined with the Sierra Club and others? Yes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

The real answer is that nuke plants are expensive, and because of the way utility companies are organized (and paid) in many states, they have no incentive to invest in nuclear.

Agreed. I've pointed this out three or four times now. Its part of why I'm not a fan of privatized power companies.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

The uninformed do not have serious positions about nuclear power and would be swayed by forceful campaigning. The entire debate over energy policy w/r/t global warming in the US shows that reality has little bearing on opinions; when facts and economics are on the same side, then there is absolutely no difficulty in bringing people over.

No and because of two words nuclear weapons

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I also think you misread my point; the profitability of the technology is all that matters, and public support can influence that, but it's not a major factor.

No it isn't

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Why is coal power still in use?

Because its cheap and profitable.

Maybe I misunderstood your point: But it SHOULDN'T matter, and its why for profit power companies are a problem.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 18, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That also depends on what you mean by "profitable." The problem with coal is that it's actually kind of expensive to clean it up. The issue is that it is not immediately expensive. The effects get felt later by people dealing with the pollution or paying to clean it up. It's cheap to burn coal if you ignore the other costs related. It does serious environmental damage that can gently caress up the profitability of other things.

Yeah, that is the biggest issue: Its cheap RIGHT NOW, but its a mess in reality.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lotka Volterra posted:

It's interesting, because there have been small-scale attempts to start to transition coal towns away from being single-industry and it's opposed at every level by the coal companies themselves and politicians.

It seems these places are destined to go the way of the rust belt, with nothing cushioning the fall.

Its kind of difficult, since most of the towns are buried in niche communities that made their entire living off of the mine, and maybe some small mom and pop shops. Its not the first time this has happened, the Appalachia is covered in small, dead towns that dried up as soon as the coal mines left or the railroad stopped coming by.

Whitwell, Tennessee where my wife grew up was a largely coal town, the mine closed in 1997. The town is still there, but its mostly retirees and those who cannot afford to leave.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm from the heart of Oil Country and let me tell you this is pretty much spot on. The refineries, the wells, and the businesses all left and took the money with them. Some people were just too stubborn to leave; others were retired and just wanted to live quietly where they were until they died. Others couldn't afford to leave. Some managed to cling to some job or another but once the big oil corporations picked up and left the area was hosed.

This is a common story of the Rust Belt. Look at a place like Pittsburgh. The steel industry left and the city was very harshly dicked over in the process. The response to the working class asking "well what are we going to do?" was "who cares? That's your problem not mine."

The county I'm originally from ended up with desperate people doing desperate things. Seemed I couldn't go a week without hearing "so and so got picked up for drug dealing/running." Sometimes it was "again." And what could they do, really? There aren't a lot of jobs. Those that do exist pay complete garbage and the companies that are hiring will exploit the hell out of you because they can. Forcing people to work off the clock, paying minimum wage with no benefits and no raises ever, union busting...all that crap. But what can you do? You got kids to feed, yo and if you get fired you don't get unemployment. Oh and it's an at will employment state by the way so that means they can fire you for any drat reason they please.

Yeah, there are multiple towns up and down Tennessee, Virginia and even Georgia that are basically graveyard with some retirees still clinging on. After the mines left, there was no fallback job.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rime posted:

I was pretty clear that it's Norman Borlaugs fault, and he wasn't very poor.

The poor can't help being born into irreversible poverty and dying young after knowing nothing except misery and toil, but it's possible to prevent that from happening to billions in the first place.

Borlaug hosed up big time. He introduced agricultural practices which allowed for a population boom in undeveloped nations with no ability to support those people economically, and which utilized farming methods which have proved ruinous to the environment as the decades have worn on (rendering it increasingly difficult to grow enough food to support these subsisting masses of humanity).

You'd have to be morally and ethically bankrupt to see any of this as a good thing. :colbert:

.....I'm a little confused here. I understand the issues environmentally that you are addressing, but how does increased crop yields and decreased need to use pesticide and herbicide use that coincides with GMOs mean his advances are a bad thing?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 3, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rime posted:

Population booms don't trickle off as the food supply does, and Borlaug dropped the biggest crop yield advancements since the industrial revolution on the world and then peace'd out. These crop yields dramatically increased population growth in undeveloped nations, because god forbid any government anywhere take steps to stop humans breeding like vermin (see reactions in this thread), population growth which continues to this day.

Unfortunately, these agricultural practices have a creeping destructive effect on the growing medium, thus reducing crop yields in the long-term. This would have been disastrous on its own, but now climate change is amplifying the effects with things like decade-long droughts.

From the man himself:

So what did he do? Tossed his miracle out there and just prayed that somebody pulled something better out of their hat down the road, lest hundreds of millions of people starve to death. He knew what would happen without population control measures. He knew he was kicking the can down the road and consigning masses to misery and death in the future.

gently caress that guy.

No, this is a really stupid take on advances in plant breeding and food crops. Blaming Norman Bourlag for population booms is really petty and makes zero sense. Also, blaming Norman for loving Climate Change? That's a riot.

You aren't even using that quote in the correct context, he was BERATING people for failing to help provide better, tougher crops that could allow African nations to become an independent food providers.

Africa's issues stem from nearly non-stop civil war and genocide, not freaking advances in food crops. Holy poo poo.

computer parts posted:

Protip: Comparing humans to vermin, especially non-white people, make you seem like a huge racist.

Check out his probation record. He really is a loving racist.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 3, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rime posted:

Oh, of course, it's extremely racist to think that hundreds of millions of people, of any nationality, dying of starvation in abject squalor is loving horrifying and should have been avoided at all costs.

:wtc:

:allears: Yes, let's blame the guy who tried to solve that by increasing crop yields. Bravo.

Y'know, I suspect getting the Catholic Church to promote Birth Control in Africa, where they currently fight against birth control and safe sex methods, MIGHT have more to do with that than blaming the guy who strove to solve food issues directly impacting those things.

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

edit: btw the solution to famine is not make more mouths to feed further down the road

Norma Bourlag did not advance crop methods and then say "Go ahead and gently caress away, you guys. You're golden" and its incredibly ignorant to even attempt to blame him for overpopulation.

Correlation does not imply causation.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 3, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ComradeCosmobot posted:

What's a global warming denier to do when their favorite data set starts to show global warming?

Move on to the next dataset that "proves" your claim, of course: upper troposphere (100mb) temperatures!

That fucker will be making up whatever numbers he wants as the world burns around him. He's also the favorite go to for all my conservative friends.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2016/03/07/lamar_smith_broadens_his_attacks_on_noaa_scientists.html

quote:

Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Denial) has broadened his harassment of climate scientists. Get this: He wants NOAA administration to hand over every scientist email that contains words like "temperature" and "climate". Yes, seriously.

Joseph McCarthy is alive and well and represents the 21st District of Texas.

gently caress you Lamar Smith.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 7, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2016/03/14/global_warming_took_another_big_jump_in_february_2016.html

:gonk:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

gently caress. And there's no good reason for it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Oracle posted:

Probably something to do with this and this (and Fukushima of course).

PrivatizedEnergy.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Potato Salad posted:

Pro nuke here: I don't see how we can continue to expand our nuclear program without an operational long-term repository a la Yucca Mountain.

Unless one slipped past my radar?

Well, and we need to start looking into newer Gen III reactors that can burn waste as fuel. Sure, still have waste, but much less longer lived.

That and exploring on site reprocessing. Like that will ever happen.