Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, good luck finding all that paint and then convincing everyone on the planet that they should paint everything white with it.

Just tell them we're going to roleplay the Roman Empire, who, as we know thanks to Hollywood, had everything in white: white toga's, white statues, white buildings, white roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

shrike82 posted:

Lol who gives a poo poo about climate denialists. They'll be posting about how no one has all the facts even if they were piling up sandbags around their homes as long as the corporate money continues following in.

Politicians give a poo poo as they are used to show that ''there is still debate'' and ''not all facts are known'' and ''we shouldnt rush into things without knowing everything''.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Lol Australia: Climate Change Authority loses last climate scientist

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Ny magazine has an article describing where we're heading: The Uninhabitable Earth. Nothing new for people here but perhaps better readable for other people than scientific papers.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

That Larsen C ice berg has broken away. http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-40321674

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Senor P. posted:

To give Rex a break he was doing what the CEO of all the other major corporations do. Which is to get people to buy more product.

I do not buy the argument that people are willfully ignorant of their consumption's effect on the environment.
(One does not have to be a Chemical Engineer to figure some of this poo poo out.)

But hey, Exxon Mobil is bad, they lied. (Most companies do, surprise surprise.)

Let's blame them for everything, and you know not hold our selves responsible for our own consumption or inaction.

Look at something like single use plastic which is pretty well known how it effects the environment. Guess what? People still use it, and ignore the problem at a local, national, and global scale.

Or what about over-fishing through out the world's ocean?

This poo poo ain't rocket science, it is literally meeting the definition of "Tragedy of the Commons".
Corporations and capitalism are literally the reason poo poo is bad, yes.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

So where is a good place for me, a Portuguese citizen to escape to? I currently live in the Netherlands which will likely end up underwater and apparently most of Portugal will become desert. As mentioned earlier in this thread, most of Europe will become fascist so one single mention of my name will be enough to send me to a camp. What are my options?

Im guessing you live somewhere in the Randstad? Then its easy: move 50-100 kilometers east and stay a few kilometers away from any major river. But Anywhere east of Apeldoorn should be save as its protected by the Veluwe, but to be extra save i would say move to the south of Limburg, Twente, Achterhoek or Drenthe. All close to Germany to so if poo poo hits the fan you can become a refugee and ask for asylum there!

And no, you wont be send to a camp. Nobody, not even Geert Wilders, cares about people from Portugal. They are all seen as genuine European, so it's all a-ok.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Here in the Netherlands the government is doing its yearly presentation of its budget and plans for the current year, and the leader of the ruling liberal party said we have 30 years left to make the necessary changes to stay under 2 degrees. So i dont know what you guys are freaking out about, we got plenty of time!

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm just waiting for a goddamned universal voluntary euthanasia movement. Like, you go to a room, they give you a nice painless injection, the government pays for your funeral and gives some money to charity in exchange for your noble sacrifice and your loved ones celebrate the fact that you are no longer in pain.

I feel like all these articles telling us how screwed we are are in fact people clamoring for the same but no one wants to ACTUALLY propose that because you'd get chucked in a mental institution. So instead we are left with this ridiculous situation that is akin to being trapped in a cage bringing slowly dipped towards a vat of acid with a bunch of people. Everyone keeps screaming about how the a I'd is there, there's nothing we can do,and what a horrible and painful death it will be. But the minute you suggest that people start strangling each other in their sleep or hanging themselves with their shoelaces since it hurts less than the acid, everyone immediately goes "NO! You have so much to live for in this acid cage!" "How can you be so selfish to not want to die horribly along side me? Sure, I will not even talk to you this whole time but your mere PRESENCE is so soothing!" "You are a coward! A REAL man would punch the acid, since dying fighting a worthless battle is the HONORABLE thing to do!" all in a selfish attempt to make themselves feel better about having "saved" someone.

I mean gently caress, I can't avoid climate news no matter what I do. RockPaperShotgun, Polygon, Av Club, Gizmodo, Waypoint, ALL of them can't go for a week without some thinkpiece related to our political and climate Doom. If even hobby sites are infected by doomsaying, the fuvk am I supposed to do? Stare at a wall all day?

Get off the internet.