Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Liberal_L33t posted:

In any case, I can understand geoengineering being scary and it should be practiced as cautiously as possible. But the alternative - that is, asking humanity to abandon an industrialized lifestyle and go back to the hellish nightmare of non-mechanized subsistence agriculture - is a complete non-starter. A hypothetical 2500 C.E. which looks like the historical 1500 C.E. is equally undesirable to a 2500 C.E. where humanity is extinct.

Well that's the end state either way, isn't it? Either climate change forces us to adapt continuously to a radically different way of life, or it miraculously stops warming/has no negative consequences, allowing us to use up our fossil-fuel reserves. I can't see any way in which it is possible to continue the industrialized lifestyle for more than a century or two. People will have to accept that our free energy boom was an anomaly and go back to having a much larger portion of the populace producing food, to be consumed locally rather than refrigerated and shipped. Are you really saying that a regression to the mean is comparable to outright extinction? I'd rather humans exist as hunter-gatherers again than have that be our fate.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Claverjoe posted:

We still have a window of "nuclear reactors & reprocessing" option open to us.

Nuclear Reactors provide localized electrical power, not fertilizers, long-distance land shipping, and mechanized farming equipment. Yes, theoretically we could electrify the second two, or run on biofuels, but both will have us chasing our own tails in a world of diminishing returns.

Cnidaria posted:

Also even at current rates of consumption it will take a really long time to exhaust non-renewable energy resources. If you include nuclear reactors in that we will have energy for millions of years. Also we will probably have fusion reactors in a few centuries or millennium depending on how long it takes society to recover. Geothermal is another option as well.

As for food production we will probably have to heavily adapt our farming techniques. Also insects are an essentially limitless supply of food that are easy to grow. We can also currently grow artificial meat in labs and the process will likely become more efficient and cheaper in the future
The big issue with global warming is not mainly going to be survival after society stabilizes, it's the chaotic transition period as famines, sea level rise, political instability, extreme weather, and other factors kill and displace massive amounts of people. Developing countries will be the most vulnerable while developed countries will probably be able to maintain some stability depending their access to clean water and food. Eastern United States and Canada are especially lucky since they have massive amounts of clean water.

Basically if nukes aren't launched developed countries will be able to adapt and stabilize once the initial chaos calms down. The sad part is by that point a lot of people will be dead.

I was under the impression that we had at best 1-2 more centuries of oil accessible to us in any meaningful way, though? I'm less concerned about electrical power, since theoretically we could go 100% nuke if we wanted, and more about how many different ways oil is required in the industrial world, and if it's possible to construct an industrial society not built around it. Coal gasification and adaptive ways to use natural gas will keep us going longer, if we're discounting the increased environmental impact, but I would hope that we could find a way to do without them.

Second point, back into the reality of climate change, how long is this "chaotic transition period"? At what point does society stabilize, and what does it actually look like when it does? I think expecting any sort of return to what we think of as normal is wishful thinking, and once the global system we've set up is strained enough, it will unravel itself. On point about NE America having all the water: All the coastal and southwestern dwellers will migrate to the Great Lakes region as flooding worsens, is it viable or ethical to do a "planned retreat" if we can construct a fossil-fuel free transportation network to serve that region, focusing our efforts on pragmatically preparing, and ignoring the rest of the planet? If so, who gets to move there?

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 25, 2015

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

computer parts posted:

Fertilizers from alternative sources are much more attractive with cheap and readily available power.

I was mistaken anyway on a double check: it's natural gas we use for fertilizer production, and conveniently, we have a couple centuries supply left, after which we'll use coal gasification as a base.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 25, 2015

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Speaking of innovation and technology, I'm looking at Ford's annual sustainability report right now, and while there's a lot of emphasis on electrification and application of fuel cells/alternative fuels, we still plan to be selling ICE's into the 2030's. This is as part of a plan to "meet consumer demand while also helping to stabilize atmospheric CO2 at 450 ppm."

Personally I find it deeply ironic that the company probably most responsible for historic emissions now enthusiastically pats itself on the back for being a "green manufacturer", and I wish we'd go all-electric.

Regardless though, I wonder what the reaction to failure will be? If the extreme jump in CO2 this year were to hold steady (and I hope/expect that it won't) 450 ppm arrives summer 2028, how are we going to manage that? What possible proposals can people come up with to keep justifying what we're doing?

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 15, 2016

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

khwarezm posted:

No offense to the good people of the Philippines, but everything I've heard about this guy makes it sound like he's a preview for Trump in America if he gets elected, is that a fair comparison?

Wasn't there something about him telling people to go out and beat up junkies?

More like Sheriff Arpaio than Trump, IMO. He was telling people to kill junkies and dealers and offering clemency for it.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

TildeATH posted:

For those of you who are actually in the trenches, at what point did/do you just throw your hands up and accept that the tragedy of the commons is unavoidable?

When I realized that even if directives to overhaul transportation infrastructure came down from on high in a beam of light, middle management and the average engineer will drag their feet til the end of time to keep their lives easy and avoid change. Even with the full force of company leadership backing CC/green efficiency initiatives, the average reaction is lockstep against the CAFE standards, against emissions standards, against "the green agenda", etc. And to a one, they all know electric cars are a red herring and "diesel will never die." I used to dream of climbing the ladder and yanking the auto industry in a more universal mass transit direction, now I just want a farm.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 21, 2016

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

:allears:

Okay, kids, let loose — let's hear your Effective Climate Change Final Solutions that instantly fail on ethical grounds.

Nuke every city with a population > 1 million, the resulting ash cover will buy us some time.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

TheBlackVegetable posted:

3-5 C is an end of civilization scenario though, right?

Less extinction, more "the end of globalized industrial civilization". If we manage to stabilize at 3-5 the pressure to avoid going up to 6+ is extreme, literally the difference between "everybody lives outside the tropics, but survivable" and "too hot for crops anywhere but the arctic"

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

TheNakedFantastic posted:

Earth has been much hotter than +6C supporting huge amounts of biodiversity.

Sure, and life will adapt to fill a +6 world again, but not at a pace that will allow our staple crops to adapt without intense genetic engineering.

Trabisnikof posted:

Why would that end industrial civilization? Why would we turn away from electricity etc?

I'm not saying we'll end it, but it won't look anything like what we have today, with a global shipping network and a relentless push to boost consumption for everyone. As things get worse, less resources will be available to maintain far-flung infrastructure, and people/civilization will retreat to large cities in the wealthy & livable global north, where pressures will be high to produce commodities locally.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Mozi posted:

Life will continue in many forms so you might as well not make it as terrible for the next few dozen millennia as you can possibly imagine.

We should bioengineer intelligent lizard people and leave them the secrets of rocketry/spacefaring so that our new hothouse planet has a headstart

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

a whole buncha crows posted:

anyone wanna be an adult and debate

Sure! My friend is obsessed with being an urban agriculture entrepreneur right now, and my fb timeline is always filled with the #feed9Bin2050 chatter. Given the trends we expect to see in the next 20-50 years, even in a best-case scenario, is this at all realistic? Do we really have 2-3 Billion more people to fit on the planet before we finally "level off" our population growth, or will we finally backslide once global economic panics become more frequent due to rising instability?

E; not to derail too hard or anything, but we at least have consensus on the fact that we're not about to purge ourselves back under 1B global pop and we're also not about to shut down industrial civ, soooo yeah, poo poo's gonna be hosed for a long time. That being said, I think some of the more worried people are being too hyperbolic/underestimating our ingenuity. We'll live in brotherhood of steel-style bunkers eating vat-grown yeasts before accepting extinction.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 17, 2016

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

NewForumSoftware posted:

I've gone down the path of attempting to go off grid and all I can say is that going without industrial civilization is much harder than most give it credit for. There's a reason you don't meet many second generation homesteaders. There are some things that are easy to give up, but there are others (medical care, internet, the rule of law) that I seriously doubt most people building "replacements for society" have put much thought into.

What does that have to do with meeting the demands of a 9B+ global population?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

NewForumSoftware posted:

Also just throwing out there again that collapsing civilization (what's going to happen if everyone stops having as many kids) is just going to warm the Earth, so there's no real gain to be had there.

How does this work, exactly?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Nice piece of fish posted:

Absolutely. If we can preserve industrial civilization and scientific progress of some form (which I assume is more likely in developed nations than elsewhere), humanity will quite possibly persevere, though with a much reduced capacity for... everything. It means the death of most of us, though.

At least the global nuclear war that will inevitably happen with mass displacement, instability and resource wars as the post-global-warming world contracts into insular and hostile groups will solve that whole global warming thing, though. Nuclear winter and regrowth of abandoned areas will likely sequester incredible amounts of carbon dioxide.

Or hell, maybe we can just try and avoid that at any - any - cost? Just throwing that out there.

For instance, do we know that carbon sequestration technology - if we can get a handle on mitigation - can't be vastly improved or efficiencies increased? It makes sense to me when the resource crunch starts happening, that we would explore nuclear fission and fusion alternatives to produce incredible amounts of power, the surplus of which to be used at great carbon sequestration plants. I mean, it seems fairly obvious to me that there aren't very many other ways of doing it, since it will take more than the energy produced by the carbon emissions in the first place to sequester that carbon anew, doesn't it? Any physicists itt?

Low-tier non-environmental physicist right here so take all this with some salt, but you're absolutely right in that entropy will always try to bend us over the barrel.

Let's be supremely generous and assume away any resource constraints so that more power = more sequestration at a 1:1 rate. There's an initial discount because you're not going to build any of those plants without spending some of your carbon budget, let's be generous again and say it takes only 1 year to reach breakeven. We begin construction immediately. In the 10 years(again, super best case assumption) it takes to roll out our vast fleet of plants, we maintain 2016 emissions rates (assumption) as we build, and now, in 2027, we finally go online with phase 1.

The problem is, we are now further into the future, with no extreme emissions cuts (on account of all the crazy building we've been doing) , and new emissions control has to be intense enough to reach carbon negativity once the sequestration is accounted.

But the populace at large has become extremely invested in this moonshot project the world just spent a decade of effort on, and they expect it to allow them to maintain their lifestyle. Maybe it's this forum's pessimism, but that doesn't seem likely to work under politics as we know them.

E; and if your assumption is this only STARTS when we hit the resource crunch, no, we're dead. Every cheap unit of energy you spend on the sequestration system is one that people cant spend now, so prices get out of control quickly

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 17, 2016

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

NewForumSoftware posted:

To be honest the only people here who think we are doomed are the people calling for voluntary depopulation. Saying human existence is the problem is such a depressing position it's hard to take seriously.

I don't think anyone is blaming human existence; it's industrialization that brought us here, and it's industrialization that we will inevitably have to work to undo over the coming centuries. It doesn't matter how depressing we find it, this whole situation is one that must be taken seriously

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

NewForumSoftware posted:

I guess, I see people calling for less children as blaming human existence. Reducing ourselves down to "well the average human uses X carbon a year so if you don't have a child you're preventing that" is such bullshit I can't even take it seriously as an argument, and yet it's being posted by multiple people in this thread, usually couched with terms about bunkers and rape that have more place in a Tom clancy novel than a discussion of climate change.

Why does your emotional response to a potential strategy invalidate it entirely? Im surrounded every day by people who would flip a poo poo if you took away their specifically gas-powered car, it doesn't mean an all-electric vehicle push can't be taken seriously.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

NewForumSoftware posted:

It's not based on my emotional response, it's based on the logical conclusion of that strategy. An all-electric vehicle push is a good thing and should be taken seriously. A push towards depopulation is a bad thing. Taking it seriously is the least of our problems. If you can't work through the logical conclusion of the western world deciding that population control is an acceptable method to deal with Climate Change you are more naive than I thought.

Well, I'd assume that it would come from more of an international effort as things get worse, ideally in a world where people are relocated from danger areas to the global north, but again, why is population reduction through global 1-2 child policies illogical? Because of the effect on the economy? I consider CC a bigger deal than any economy, so that doesn't phase me much.

E; did not realize you were all talking about total stoppage of kids. That kind of defeats my whole 'save our species at any cost' thrust.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 18, 2016

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

NewForumSoftware posted:

Who is going to enact this international effort? What makes you think it's even remotely possible? How many people do you plan to relocate? How do you decide who to relocate? What if the climate isn't stable enough at the northern latitudes to provide enough food for all those people? Given that birth rates go down with simply educating women and providing birth control why don't we start there?

Put it this way, the amount of coordination and effort required to enact and enforce a 1-2 child policy around the globe is so great that if we could possibly muster that kind of coordination there would be 10 things to try first, like widescale carbon sequestration, geoengineering, carbon taxes, etc.

Again, in an IDEAL world (one where the world is able to come to a consensus), we'd do it in stages to lessen the blow to people, promote education and provide birth control, everything that could possibly work should be done at once. Relocate who you can in as nonbiased a manner as possible, with the understanding that those left behind are essentially in hospice care zones. I know those other things will get tried first, because they address symptoms and not the root cause, i.e. (#of people) x (average person's expectations) = too drat high.

GlyphGryph posted:

Advocating a policy of having 1-2 children isn't advocating a policy of having no children, so you're moving the goalposts quite a bit here. On top of that, reducing the population just spreads out the timescale over which warming occurs, and barely even does that when measured in human lifespans, at best, so it's not a particularly good strategy, since most of the things you would need to do to change that outcome require an effective industrial base with lots of surplus labour and economic activity you can siphon off.

Here, let me try and create an analogy.

Imagine we are on a asteroid. We are currently racing across the vast blackness of space, on a direct collision course with the sun a few years from now. The reason we're on this collision course is because we have strapped several thousand rockets to the back of our asteroid, and those rockets are pushing us straight for the sun.

Population control is akin to advocating that we should remove these rockets and toss them off into space, because clearly the rockets are the reason we are on this collision course. And they are, that's true, but removing all the rockets from the asteroids, or any rockets really, is not a solution. The scenario still ends with us crashing into the sun. Our course is already set. Removing them a couple hundred years ago and preventing anyone from building more might have done it, but like many other attempts it is now too little, too late.

Any viable plan for avoiding our crashing into the sun at this point in time absolutely requires a massive amount of rockets. Enough rockets that we can use them to change the course we're on. That has to be the goal - not to get rid of as many rockets as possible, but to point as many of those rockets in possible in a different, better direction, one that changes the course of our asteroid and doesn't end with us getting burned to death.

Now, seem people in this thread have advocated the belief that these rockets can not be redirected. In that case nothing, including getting rid of rockets, matters - we're toast. So no matter which side you fall on regarding whether or not redirecting rockets is possible, randomly getting rid of them still isn't a helpful or even coherent plan.

Also the rockets are people and no one is ever going to agree to get rid of a significant number of rockets.

GlyphGryph posted:

If we can replace our power supply with a carbon neutral or minimal carbon alternatives, then we only have to spend roughly the equivalent of global military spending to bring us into the realms of negative per capita emissions (using only currently existing carbon sequestration technology). Which we are obviously technically capable of doing.

The miracles there are more political than technological. Technology would mostly serve to make the political miracles less miraculous.

It's not a likely outcome, no, specially considering the track record for political solutions, but it's the only outcome that doesn't end on "runaway global warming leads to the extinction or near extinction of the human race" so it's also the only outcome worth pursuing.

Intentional depopulation is not only not pursuing that outcome (and thus pointless), it is, in fact, injurious to it, and thus not really worth considering.

If you want to argue for relaxing and enjoying the ride into the sun, that's one thing, the argument that throwing away rockets would somehow help is the problematic on.

Well, I didn't intend to move goalposts on you, but I DO take umbrage with this analogy, along with your belief that this is a purely political problem. The way I see it, we're not inevitably headed into the sun, we're not even fully aimed at it. If we start turning off rockets and coasting, we could buy more time to put ourselves into a safe orbit.I don't agree that technological innovation and mass deployment of such are the way out of the situation we're in, since imo much like fusion power itself, the promise of a globally carbon-negative system will remain out of reach for far longer than we think right now, the infrastructure comes with an immense up-front fuel cost to build, and you risk having people view it as an excuse to humans to continue on as we have. If we agree that we're getting close to too late to stay under 2C, than to choose the technological innovation path is a huge gamble on whether we can push additional carbon into the atmosphere in order to someday pull more of it back, while at the same time dealing with the present-day effects of those increased emissions. So, from the perspective of people in year 3000 for example, I think pursuing deindustrialization right now has better odds than hoping that the tech works out.

That being said, I already know I'm "wrong" in that for this to be truly effective, we would need to reduce population faster than by attrition, we'd have to make awful choices about who lives and dies, we'd have to take away most people's free will, so morality will end up staying us to the course we're on now.

E; the analogy is also bad because throwing rockets off the asteroid one after another on the same vector would eventually change our course away from the sun.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 18, 2016

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Getting a 404 for that

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Me too

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Baronjutter posted:

Do people like that actually believe climate change is some hoax or over-blown alarmism, or are they just full out horrible evil captain planet villains trying to get them and their supporters as much hay while the sun shines as possible? I imagine a ton of rich and powerful people just want to stock up on as much wealth as they possibly can so they can survive the coming doom of their own making. Then again I've known plenty of rich people that are absolutely stupid so I could totally believe either being true.

Just read the comments, people are wholly sold on the belief that it's all a scam by liberals to steal their money, and it's going to take unending disaster to convince them otherwise.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Star Man posted:

I majored in English and focused on rhetoric and composition. I'm loving useless in fighting this poo poo off, aren't I?

I've got a degree in physics and nothing but experience in the auto industry. The best thing I've got going is an attempt to get into office on a platform of long-term mitigation planning. Trying anything puts you in the positive ledger imo

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Conspiratiorist posted:

The current state of the world is the answer to the Fermi paradox.

It's such an obvious solution, too. :(

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Paradoxish posted:

I'm not sure how comforting that really is. This storm is looking like it has the potential to absolutely devastate the pack that exists right now and help to drive more ice out of the arctic. Obviously it'd be a lot worse if we were having these storms constantly, but badly timed freak events like this ratchet things down into a new normal.

Are you talking about the spot just north of Severny or the ones off Svalbard? : https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=56.30,73.43,992

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
It's 70 degrees in Detroit today, vs the 2000-2012 average high of 36. :stare:

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Ace, you, very specifically you, should go join a commune for a while. (or an Amish/shaker community if religion is your jam) Electronics are fancy and all, but I assure you, being a peasant is not as bad as it's made out to be, and I think you'll find that community is what makes life worth living to social apes.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Potato Salad posted:

Well, there's the full-bore "join a commune" post.

:Shhhhhh: if he's at a commune he won't be able to post and interrupt our calm rational acceptance of our doom.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

maskenfreiheit posted:

Thought experiment:

The bootstraps type love to plug the "just move!1!1!" meme.

So let's say you've been offered a high paying, 100% remote job.

Where in the United States would you choose to set down roots, taking into account the changes that will be happening in the next 10,20,50 years?
(Let's assume you're not going to go full granola and live off the land - you'll need internet access and an airport within driving distance)

I've been looking around a bit... cities like Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Denver, etc that are far from the coast, close to land that can grow food all seem like decent picks. I suspect Vegas might do better than you'd expect since an artificial city in the desert is probably mindful of how be sustainable and plan for the long term.

OTOH, I'd probably avoid big coast cities like SF, NYC, DC, Boston.

Thoughts?

Chicago, Milwaukee, Green Bay, Thunder Bay, Traverse City, Sault St Marie, Bay City, Detroit/Windsor, Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto.

E; sorry they're not all US cities.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 4, 2017

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

TildeATH posted:

Thunder Bay and Traverse City sound a little too Mad Max for my tastes.

???

They're both the metro in their area, both have local industry (forestry, cherries), both are part of the freshwater trade network that will make the great lakes the place to be for the rest of the future, both have a local airport, both have room to expand in population without straining. Admittedly, they do get brutally cold, but that will lessen over time.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 5, 2017

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

AceOfFlames posted:

So someone please tell me again why I should not purposely avoid all emotional investment in people and achievements so I am fully ready to die when the time comes?

To be more precise, is there a completely reason based argument for living in a situation where things are certain to get worse?

Because been there, done that, and it's dumb. Enjoy your time with family and loved ones, speak of your convictions when opportunity presents itself, and if you need a reason, change your life so you can contribute to things that will benefit people 7 generations from now. Humans will (narrowly) survive this, even in a much hotter world, but our civilization won't, so make things better for those who will come after if you can.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Mercrom posted:

Hello. I'd like to join this doomsday circlejerk, but I'm still optimistic that we can contain the coming disaster. What exactly are the reasons to believe we are all hosed? Non-seismic natural disasters and droughts will get worse for sure, but the mitigation of those things has also improved with time and I see no reason to believe that won't continue. What we can't mitigate will cause instability and maybe war, but it's not like war is a new thing. What is the historical link between war and natural disasters/droughts?

Droughts feature prominently in most historical civilization collapses, and given modern evidence it's clear that they're a major driver. A civ ends up focusing all production on trying to keep up the food supply, as the shrinking supply undercuts production and foments unrest. It's not a problem with a humane outcome regardless of whether we choose to respond in force.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

i follow and read a lot of alarmist literature and they all say weve passed the point of no return. I know and it has been proven again and again that a lot of these reports are fake science or based on rigged parameters and models. were either 100% doomed or this is all natural and the earth has mechanisms to balance its temperature out or maybe it doesn't and were still doomed. either way dont tread on me

Treading on you is exactly how to bring it down from 100 to 99 though, worth it imo

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Yuge difference between 'runaway CO2 emissions due to warming feedback making it too hot too fast for human comfort' and 'literally venus'

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Pray tell, what is your case for human extinction being the better outcome?

Better to burn out than fade away *sniff sniff*

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

The Snoo posted:

:yeah:

I keep telling myself that governments and leaders wouldn't be stupid enough to use nuclear weapons because it would pretty much be the end of everything, but deep down I know they would.

I'd use em now, EMP for everyone, let things sort themselves out for a bit.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
It is definitely maybe possible to colonize the solar system (and no more than that), but the only ends to which that points is imperial Earth gobbling down more resources.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's actually possible to colonize the entire galaxy, "all" you need is self-replicating machines capable of interstellar travel. Exponential growth will also make it a surprisingly fast process. Probably not a big help for people though.

I'm going to go with that not counting on the basis of robots aren't people. Clearly nobody else in the observable universe is doing it though, so the ROI is probably nil.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

aka agenda 21 aka agenda 2030 aka eco-authoritarianism in general

Is this the thing where we're all forced to ride generator bikes in communes and can't choose who we have kids with? I read that book, didn't seem a half bad idea.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

davebo posted:

You know it's not like those Floridians just sink into the sea one day. Most of them will see the change coming and move ahead of time. This tragedy just means more Floridians moving into non-Florida states. It's the worst possible outcome.

There are enough in Michigan half the year that I've taken to describing climate change as "Summer Forever".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

LionArcher posted:

So if I'm 30, running my own business what are the best places to invest in land wise in the USA? I'm thinking Oregon (Southern and middle) and Washington right? Long term those areas (minus fires) wouldn't be deeply effected by flooding right? And living in LA (Pasadena area) is a bad idea right?

Sault Ste Marie