Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Thread title should just be "Overshoot: are we going to do anything about it?" at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Thug Lessons posted:

Humans achieved overshoot maybe... 50,000? 100,000? years ago. The overshoot calculations we use to study animal population don't really apply to humans because we're far more adaptable than any other species ever to exist, so it's at best a metaphor.

How do you mean? I'd say humans have overshot and collapsed in nearly every environment we've ever been in at one point or another, and now we've taken the party world-wide.

e: They looted, they raided, they held whole cities for ransom for fresh supplies of cheese crackers, avocado dip, spare ribs and wine and spirits, which would now get piped aboard from floating tankers.

The problem of when the drink is going to run out is, however, going to have to be faced one day.

The planet over which they are floating is no longer the planet it was when they first started floating over it.

It is in bad shape.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 23, 2017

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Thug Lessons posted:

That's not what overshoot and collapse is. "Overshoot" refers to population growth in access of ecological carry capacity, and "collapse" refers to population decline in response. Humans exceeded the earth's natural carrying capacity sometime in distant prehistory, but there was never a corresponding collapse, because humans are too adaptable to be subject to that ecological process in the way that animals are. There is, ultimately, some sort of limit of how many humans can live on earth, but it's not an ecological one, and it's probably far in excess of what human populations will actual reach. Hundreds of billions or trillions, whereas the population is likely to stabilize mid-century around 10 billion.

Hey, this is ludicrous. Fire and agriculture may have allowed us much higher than normal capacity, but the limits still exist and local populations through history regularly overshoot and collapse. Humans are just much better at walking away and leaving entirely gutted ecosystems behind.

Also, really? Hundreds of billions, or even trillions of 150 pound mammals roaming the Earth? Where does the energy come from?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I thought the 10 billion will not survive argument was based on distribution issues? Like how the heck are we going to move all that food around as fuel gets more and more expensive, equatorial regions become uninhabitable for longer and longer periods of high summer, infrastructure buckles under migration, etc etc. Oh and fertilizer gets more expensive and the soil runs out in like 60-80 harvests in a lot of places or something?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Ah, so we innovate our way out of the problems innovation generated, forever.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Nice piece of fish posted:

Luckily, we have coal mine jobs innovation to save us.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

On one hand we have the climate nihilists who don't understand that we have ratcheted equilibria at 6C and 11C before things get truly hosed. Humanity may or may not be able to survive at each one. On the other hand, we have lil milquetoast idiots trying to cite IPCC numbers while ignoring the myriad positive feedbacks that have been researched since.

Not to mention some dumbass who thinks that a current ECS range that includes 4.5C in the range is anything other than a giant alarm bell to change everything we're doing right now.

Where's the equilibria stuff from? Been curious about that for a while.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Just hit the gas and get across that bridge before it collapses!!

*Dukes of Hazzard theme plays as a Confederate flag made of smog envelops the US*

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

What would happen if we nuked it?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Fojar38 posted:

I, too, believe vague reports from government officials in an autocratic state. Especially in the midst of a PR campaign being run by the guy who just declared himself dictator for life.

Isn't "guy who just declared himself dictator for life of an autocratic state is running a cleanup/PR campaign because his people want a cleaner environment" an equally valid interpretation though?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Fojar38 posted:

Only if you think dictators are cool and good and care about the common man.

I don't think that, but I can clearly see the incentives for Xi to pull this off, soooo interpretation still valid I guess

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Miami send-off goonmeet? I've never been but I'd like to see it before it becomes Atlantis.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Thug Lessons posted:

You can have whatever environmental politics you want but you need to be practical about it.

Lol I just want to ban the internal combustion engine, nbd

and jet engines too

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 19, 2017

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Rime posted:

Advocating realistically pragmatic solutions to climate change would get me ToC'd here. :shrug:

Thrown out of Court?
Triggered on Cows?
Terms of Conscription?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

VideoGameVet posted:

The crazy thing is the change that would do the most good would involve charging the real cost of beef etc. to consumers, instead of letting the industry treat the planet as a toilet.

I'm not saying "don't eat beef". I'd saying "eat less of it because to raise it in a way that doesn't harm all of us, is kinda expensive don't you know?"

I said "don't fly, keep your vacations within reasonable motoring distance if you must" about something last week and it derailed a thread, just lol into the wind and admit we're hosed without a butlerian jihad and only very slightly less hosed with one

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If that is the derail I am thinking of your placement of the claim people need to stay in their own place sure seemed like it had more to do with fear of having to interact with foreigners and less to do with airplane pollution.

Nah, planes are just nonviable technology without some absurd battery densities for hypothetical passenger electric flight. Maybe I should have said take a dirigible.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Saying people need to stay I their own country tends to be less about people saying I don't need to go to Africa and more about saying people from Africa shouldn't come here. More often than not.

I've already talked to my college best friend turned roommate of 4 years about getting his family out of the Ivory Coast and up here to Michigan before poo poo gets hyperreal in the whole middle of the world area there but he doesn't buy my hype at all. :/

E; And I mean that is exactly where I went when I did fly, too. It doesn't matter, air tourism is still bad and I feel bad for it, and in a way it does chap my rear end that people act as if, by the very act of flying and acculturating themselves, they are benefiting the world.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 20, 2017

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

white sauce posted:

What he means is that corporations are people and their money is free speech, and if you go against what corporations want then you're being undemocratic.

I don't think it's that, and he might be being more honest than most in this thread. It reads to me more like "human desires are sacrosanct, growth for the sake of happiness must happen no matter what, and if that conflicts with preventing apocalypse, eh, discount the possibility of apocalypse to avoid feeling the monstrous absurdity of life clawing at me"

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

blowfish posted:

i'm not sure if you're serious or trolling but i'll take nuclear powered luxury space communism with net zero-to-negligible emissions over whatever you're selling

Good luck getting there without destroying your homeworld apparently.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Shifty Nipples posted:

Just to clarify, humans are not going to leave Earth in any meaningful numbers.

I was going to give us the solar system at most.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Shifty Nipples posted:

I would think we'll do space tourism but I don't know if there will be colonies on mars or whatever.

Nah just as an absolute upper limit of humanity's might we colonize the jovian moons and maybe some floaty Venus platforms. We're too far out in the space boonies for interstellar anything to happen using actual biological travelers. It requires generation ships and there's plenty of reading on why that won't work out well. But we're not going to solve our problems here so whatever.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 11, 2018

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Feb 2016 was when I really started getting the "hold onto your butts" imaginary klaxons in my head, so this is fun.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

tsa posted:

It's really interesting how for CC you see the same kind of logic that conservatives use for abortion: people must be punished for their sins. The idea of humans 'getting off' without suffering while still being to use vast amounts of resources (which is the reason standards of living have skyrocketed in the past 1-2 century) actually angers them.

Like it's quite obvious the anger in this thread surrounding technological fixes borders on a pathology that we might not suffer for our actions.

I don't think you'll find a single person who wouldn't wave the "fusion and replicators now" magic wand, it's just not physically realistic.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

call to action posted:

Realistically, you're gonna live your natural life in the first world, as long as you've got skills or money, regardless of what happens with climate change though. Hope you don't like nature though, you're gonna watch it all die painfully as you age as the oceans die and forests turn to ash.

Idk, I tend to think we're getting pretty close to the point where climate change will cause so much annual damage that it eats us from the rear end in a top hat (insurance companies) on up.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Gortarius posted:

Hey so there's this pretty mediocre/lovely newspaper and every time it has an article about climate change in any context, the comment sections is ALWAYS filled with deniers and the most common thing I see there is that "Oh actually we are entering a miniature ice age, why isn't anyone covering that topic, huh?????"

Why would anyone claim that?

Since my father is one of them, because Europe is having a harsh winter.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Developed nations should skip the wait and povertize themselves. Even without climate change, soil erosion, the draining of the aquifers, etc, we can never build enough nuke plants to get out of the energy trap and maintain growth, so gently caress it. The final score is "Industrial civilization is non-viable, thank you for playing Life."

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
If you raise your children off-grid it's pretty much nbd, but yeah, they're still going to suffer beyond your comprehension.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Cingulate posted:

This is repugnant.

That doesn't make it incorrect.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Have as many kids as you want, just don't raise them to be civilized.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The argument is "voluntary reduction in human population to a level which is possible to support without industrial civilization is necessary in order to accommodate the timely drawdown of said civilization. Alternatively, attempt to continue said civilization, and run the apparently rather high risk of causing a mass extinction that could include us."

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Thug Lessons posted:

I mean, the argument I responded to was literally "if the choice is between the survival of humans or the natural world, I choose the natural world". You guys are over there having an argument about anti-natalism that I'm way too high-level to care about.

Why respond then? There is no choice; there are no humans on an Earth with a collapsed biosphere.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

self unaware posted:

What do you mean by "without industrial civilization"? Are you giving up electricty? Also, we're already in a mass extinction so the ship has sailed on that one.

Electricity, mechanical transit, fertilizer synthesis especially. I am preparing to do without these things, though I don't really expect it to make any difference overall since people have been blinkered into believing it's a matter of individual responsibility and not a non-viable system at fault.

Thug Lessons posted:

I doubt it. I'm with Peter Ward:

This is functionally no different than my argument if we're going by # of humans that can be supported. Actually probably less humans, but we'll get to keep our sweet underground living and yeast-food growing technology?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

self unaware posted:

Alright but that is a straight up death sentence for large swathes of the population, why can't we have telephones or refrigerators? Are we just going to eat the warming brought on by stopping aerosol production?

The death sentence is written already, yes we're going to eat the warming. The matter at hand is how much additional warming we are going to add before we stop pumping aerosols all over, which will happen one way or another. You cannot have telephones and refrigerators without extraction, refining, packaging and shipping, these things cannot be done without the use of fossil fuels, so no, you can't have them long-term on carbon worlds.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

self unaware posted:

What's long term? Why can't we use any fossil fuels? Surely we can use some level "sustainably"?

Given the evidence, about a century or two of use. We probably could use them sustainably if it was extremely limited and we didn't use them to grow our population, but when it comes down to it all life is is self-perpetuating systems that are incentivized into exploiting the maximum amount of energy available, so we WILL use them to grow if we can, locking ourselves into this very situation. As to why not, obviously because sudden sharp changes to the carbon cycle will undermine the stability of any organized civ.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 9, 2018

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Good, it should be politically inconvenient to tell people the solution to climate change is rejection of existing freedoms. Climate change is real and needs real solutions. And real solutions are never going to be “everyone just be poorer and more limited forever”

Tbh I don't comprehend your insistince that real solutions be bounded by human desires (particularly those of a globetrotting elite consumer class) and not "whatever is necessary to keep the seasons stable and crops maturing."

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
So don't not fly, but do continue to advocate to my representatives for all air travel to be banned as a nonviable technology, got it.

There's a whole bunch of other fun stuff to talk to them about too, like how long do you think it is before people start mass-migrating inland from the east coast? Heartland and Midwest need to get ready to produce more food with worse weather and more pollution from bigger cities, and if we don't get some lead time in on it, oh boy it'll suck more.

What's the thread's beliefs on an acceptable CO2 target? 350? 400? Ford's future city plan contains the assumption that we stabilize at 450, and this will supposedly keep temperatures to no more than 2C by 2100. I tend to think hitting 450 would have us at 2C+ within years of it.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 14, 2018

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Thug Lessons posted:

Then you have no clue what you're talking about. It's not enough to cause +2C warming, and even if it was the planet wouldn't warm that fast. To answer your question, we should eventually get CO2 <350ppm because otherwise the Greenland ice sheet will melt.

Ok, I'm clueless. Please give me a clue on how we achieve a carbon negative civilization and reach 350 ppm without immense austerity, because last time I checked, solar, wind, nuclear power plants, electrical grids, etc all have irreducible associated emissions, so if they're part of our mandatory emissions spending, something somewhere else has to give.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Thug Lessons posted:

Inflicting austerity on people won't lower carbon emissions, only decarbonization will. I'm not convinced we can actually make it below 350, because it would take tens of trillions of dollars to accomplish, but it should be the goal. If we can't make it we'll get SLR, and that will cost even more.

If you want specifics, right now I think we should do BECCS but with macro- and micro-algae. You get the benefits of BECCS, (negative emissions and lots of energy), without the downsides, (immense land use). But really what we should be doing is pouring a ton of money into research on negative emissions so we can figure out which method looks most economical and scalable.

Decarbonization is austerity though. Jets are a great example because for air travel to be decarbonized (and for electric cars to be ubiquitous) battery technology has to have a "and then a miracle happened" moment. It's a fantasy to ignore the non-negotiable status of fossil emissions to our current mode of civilization, and particularly to the set of technologies built around the conversion of explosive liquids to rotary motion, so the only conclusion is that we would necessarily have to somehow have greater negative emissions than positive emissions, while still growing the global economy. idgi, how does this seem possible

also, you can't use the energy from BECCS, that defeats the purpose

I mean you could, but it would be hilariously short-sighted and inefficient...oh right

Oooh, also, that puts airplanes and hungry people into direct competition for the fertilizer used, and land since idk that scooping algae up will be as economical for the energy companies as just doing it in the rainforest

https://www.carbonbrief.org/negative-emissions-have-limited-potential-to-help-meet-climate-goals
“We conclude that these technologies offer only limited realistic potential to remove carbon from the atmosphere and not at the scale envisaged in some climate scenarios.”

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 14, 2018

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Thug Lessons posted:

It's completely possible. Let's say we have 10Gt in residual emissions. That just means we need to get an additional 10Gt in negative emissions. How much would that cost? Depends. Let's say it's a $100/ton. That means it's $1 trillion a year, or 1% of global GDP. That's not an impossible amount of money to spend, even if it is a waste. With BECCS it might even be profitable. I'm not sure we'll do this, because people are loath to spend money, but there's no inherent reason it couldn't be.

Also, once again, have no idea what you're talking about with BECCS. The electricity doesn't have carbon in it.

I think this thought-example is exactly why every thing I read about BECCS insisted that it alone wasn't enough, we'd need massive reduction in emissions as well. Even if it is possible to scale to that extent, it's just going to become an excuse for people to continue the pursuit of economic growth and development. That 10Gt becomes 11, 12, etc, and we have to build more and more BECCS capacity in perpetuity (eating up lots of fertilizer) in order to maintain what is basically life support so that we can keep emitting affluently and bring more people into the high-emissions class. The monetary cost is meaningless against the fact that we're going deeper into a trap.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Hello Sailor posted:

If you're not volunteering to be one of the slain, perhaps you should rethink your metric for "best".

If you are volunteering, there's a way for you to both reduce your emissions earlier than that and to lower the number of people that need to be killed by this hypothetical bioweapon.

I'd volunteer, wouldn't you? Better slain than starved to death.