Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Does anyone have a investigative or report regarding the impact of a reduction in population on Global Warming? For example, did China's one child policy mitigate effects and would a similar antinatalist program help with global warming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm writing my first research paper on climate change and it's horribly depressing. Also since this is my first paper ever in like 15 years if one of you want to volunteer to read it and tell me thoughts that would be cool.

I'm having trouble finding realistic dissenting opinions that are not crackpots if anyone has any suggestions.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 19, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I've found a few articles here and there but they're usually like " Oh and by the way after all this science I talked about , Climate Change is really about Obama taking over". They just get weirdly political. It starts normal and the just goes down hill.

Like the idea surrounding the 2 degree guardrail and how actually now compared to 14 years ago its considered to be a very bad thing and we should readjust.

Or that this is all "normal". I've yet to read a good article where someone without gettiing political states that this is a "normal" cycle to the Earth. Basically I'm looking for the 3%.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This thread helped me get an A!! Thanks thread.

Has anyone ever read a study on how carbon footprint is calculated . I'm trying to work on a side project on the LGBT community and how it compares to the heternormative community in relation to carbon legacy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

:emo:

Seriously what the gently caress. Are they just not attending the Paris Conference.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah, poorer countries are more likely to be affected by climate change and their less likely to adapt.

Figure 27
Key risks from climate change for poor people and their livelihoods and the potential for risk reduction through adaptation

Taken from here

http://unfccc.int/resource/docs/2015/sb/eng/inf01.pdf

edit:

Also, there's a old saying in India that politicians survive by Food Prices. The last thing you need is a country like India and Pakistan who already hate each other suddenly fighting over resources with Nuclear Weapons.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 1, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Arkane posted:

The point of growing the economy (and energy usage) is that they won't be poor anymore. India has a hunger problem now. Do you think India will have a hunger problem in a few decades?

There's unlikely to be many, if any, poor countries at all in a few decades, not even in Africa. There will be poorer countries, but lack of food, water, and electricity will be gone. Poor countries are able to modernize much more quickly than in the past.

There won't be any poor countries anymore because the people will have starved to death. Once riots and food starts becoming scarce there won't be anything to industrialize.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's more depressing than anything else. It's such a empty promise.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

blowfish posted:

Nobody who is grounded in reality seriously believes in less than 2°C of warming. More realistically, we're aiming for anything below maybe 2.5 or 3°C.

What? No , the goal should be 1.5 as we study / and learn more of the effects of temperature changes we learn that the dangers of 2 degree is more and more dangerous than initially thought.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The human race won't go extinct we have enough technologically wise that the earth's population may die off but there will still be enclaves of the wealthy etc... who survive. So literally apocalyptic wasteland. Like we have the technology to build climate controlled large enclaves, small cities, etc..

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Can someone explain this whole heat bubble because of humidity that's going to happen over the Mid West

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What's the science behind a warm lake equal more snow? I don't understand that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Okay so what happens if we actually increase our emissions , because we gut EPA / Carbon Tax programs, will China and other countries also follow suit.

If this happens and we actually not only not cut emissions but increase them how hosed are we.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Why would China increase its emissions just because of Trump? It's not going to make or break economic dominance of USA over China or vice versa, and China is already milking the rewards and soft power benefits of being able to claim some moral high ground over the US threatening to abandon all its international agreements.

Alternatively, hope is a lie and we are all doomed

Because if the US isn't going to hold to the Paris Accord they'll be thinking " Well we can't let them possibly get a economic advantage".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

So what happens when the ice disappears completely.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Right it goes

Artic Warms --- Jet Streams/ Air Currents Shift to bring warmer air to the Artic --- Artic Warms more

Isn't that it?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

A shutdown of the thermohaline circulation in the north Atlantic due to a massive influx of freshwater, leaving Europe to simultaneously freeze and drown as the rest of the world broils to death and scurries inland to fight over rapidly desertifying farmland.

That's not good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What's a phase transition. I need more things to have anxiety about. Donald Trump being president is not enough.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Akilles posted:

In a ecological succession, it's difficult to change the environment because ideally it tries to revert back to its normal state. But if you push the environment too far, you reach a tipping point or phase transition, and the environmental reactions push it to a new normal.

Forests can be thinned, and they'll grow back. If they're clear cut, it becomes a grassland.

Oh that makes sense.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

So the issue with artic ice is that it reflects heat, can't we artificially do that some how?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

bef posted:

Painting our roads and rooftops white is a thing mumbled about for years, not sure why it's not suggested more heavily as a way of curbing heat (probably because we don't care enough at the moment)

No way this doesn't turn out to look like a white swastika across the country from space

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What about mirrors couldn't we just put mirrors all over the artic

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wanderer posted:

The real super-villain business would be Kingsman: The Secret Service-style mass depopulation of all but a specified, chosen few, or at least mass sterilization. A proper Lex Luthor-style mad scientist could sort this poo poo out in a year. "Get off fossil fuels by 2018 or I blow up the moon."

This is the plot of Utopia and of that latest Tom Hanks film.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

No the one that's a sequel to The DaVinci code.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Upside is its going to be interesting to scuba dive in the French Quarter?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Trying to get this drat thing to work

http://geology.com/sea-level-rise/

or this one

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/09/rising-seas/if-ice-melted-map

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This seems to be working pretty well.

http://ss2.climatecentral.org/#11/40.7128/-74.0059?show=satellite&projections=0-RCP85-SLR&level=10&unit=feet&pois=hide

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Anti-natalism works from a philosophical standpoint that we may destroy all life on the planet and it would be better if some species survived over the human race.

Basically the viewpoint that the human race is not special and all life on the planet has more worth than humanities.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's a perfectly reasonable viewpoint. I don't particularly agree with it, however I am a cosmicist.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This thread focuses on the USA a lot but I was just wondering what are going to be the affects of Climate Change on impoverished nations. Specifically places like Ethiopia , Somali, etc..

I don't read to much on it and was wondering if someone had a great article on the matter.

I know there will be vast swathes of land that are no longer inhabitable but where are these populations likely to go?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Fangz posted:

They will die.

No poo poo.

Eh I came up with a impact story

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...bf3b_story.html

And this

http://blog.oup.com/2016/04/climate-change-africa/

Of course the outlook isn't good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

This is a really bad idea because we're in the last 500 million years of complex life on Earth and civilization has arisen only once in the last 3.5 billion years.

Most people are aware of the 5 billion year life left on the sun but many are not aware that increasing solar brightness will put Earth outside the habitable zone within 500 million years. Like nowhere on the surface lower than the boiling point of water dead.

No, it still works as a philosophy. It's a human centric viewpoint and bias that says we are the most special species on earth. There are several animal species with complex life and what we would define as societies that exist now. You value human life over say dog life because you are a human being. We're a egocentric race.

By the way this argument is also the consciousness trap argument that says really consciousness isn't really that special either.I don't agree with this argument but I am also someone who believes the universe is completely indifferent to the human race.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 30, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

It's reasonable to assume that this is the best shot at a more advanced civilization than our own that the Earth will ever get, for two reasons. First, the easiest way to get past where we are is to start where we are. Starting from nothing will be much harder.

Second, birds and whales have been around for a very long time and they've never written anything down much less launched a rocket.

In the very long run, it's reasonable to assume that if Earth life wants to be more than a mote that eventually dies out, we're its best shot.

That may seem a ridiculously long term point of view but happily it squares with not ruining everything we like in the short term either.

This makes perfect sense in a philosophical / utilitarian viewpoint. Also, I don't believe that we as a human race will go extinct because we have the technological ability to create arcologies and biospheres to some degree. So maybe we'll get a ruined world dotted with climate controlled enviroments etc..

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wait 2/3 of the great barrier reef died , Jesus Christ wth.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Move next to the largest fresh body of water you can , possibly out fit your house with moisture farmers and some solar panels that power a indoor vertical garden.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Actually speaking of mitigating climate change has anyone seen that promo for the indiegogo "Water Seer"?

http://waterseer.org/

From my limited understanding there will be more moisture over all in the air due to climate change. So maybe something like this or other moisture harvesters could help mitigate some of the problems?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Evil_Greven posted:

Speaking of, it looks like the Northeast will be drowning in cold.

https://twitter.com/capitalweather/status/807287858298032128

Also here where I live on the outskirts of it. It's drat cold. loving climate change shoving the Arctic down here.

Collectively we deserve it, but it fuels American skepticism something fierce. Thanks Nature.

So is this going to be more common? Like could it shift permanently? Or just be incredibly more frequent?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

OH Goddamnit I am going to have put out salt tomorrow and shovel Sunday. Looks like we're getting "5 inches" which of course means 10 because.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

With the gutting of the EPA and DOE on personnel related to Climate Change apparently incoming won't this have the effect of us not being able to continue studying climate change as much as we should be so maybe we'll see the effects but we won't know the causes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

ghostwritingduck posted:

With enough time, evolution will bring more intelligent life.

Actually we have had more intelligent life. Neanderthals and Homo Sapiens are two different species. We share a common ancestor but they quite distinct from humans.

The likely hood though of another species evolving into a "intelligent" life as we know it is pretty low. Otherwise there would be more species of intelligent life like neanderthals and humans found in archaeology.

I think the best way I heard it was " in 500 million years we've had one dominant species evolve" there is another 500 million years before the Earth is no longer sustainable to life because of the way the Sun ages and expands.

We're probably it.

Technologically though we can in fact overcome Climate Change because we can build self contained Arcologies most likely.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 12, 2016