Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

cosmicprank posted:

No kids here either and I've already done a bit of traveling after a friend suddenly died. Yeah, I had a typical "life is frail" moment and went on a trip to Japan. My only regret is that I should have learned to not talk about it so much, because people are really bad at hiding their jealously of me doing something like that. So, FWIW, do it if you don't mind the judgement. I assume the absolute worst about the future though so I'm trying to have some experiences before I can't anymore (dad died at 39 from a health issue I have as well, amongst other things I could list). I know I probably sound like that stupid American guy from Black Mirror right now however, if we're all in this thread talking about inevitable shittiness, wouldn't it make sense to encourage each other to travel/have fun NOW?

Traveling around the world is a thing that needs to end if you give two shits about climate change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
-bah-

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Fangz posted:

hey cool if we don't measure it climate change can't possibly happen right

It's quantum.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Nice piece of fish posted:

Are you certain?

As long as we don't measure it we will have a Schrödinger's arctic where it's both hot and cold at the same time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I don't live in an urban area so I don't care

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Is there a bigger version anywhere, wanna zoom in on western finland.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Arglebargle III posted:

Plasma torches are not as high energy as you might think but they don't scale very well. There has been some exciting research on metal / carbon Nano Spike catalysts that can electrolyze CO2 directly to ethanol.

Can these be injected into people? Asking for a friend.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

You are basically a super hero (and me too).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The future dystopia where 1/3rd of the world is uninhabitable and the future dystopia where all borders are closed and no one may travel both sound pretty much equally awful.

The first one sounds a lot worse to me.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well I guess the latest few posts disproves the bourgie self-justification theory that traveling makes you a better person.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Squalid posted:

But maybe to take that trip he'll forgo purchase of a new car for a couple years. While the guy who can't stand to live without steak will choose to skip the holiday flight to grandmas so he can afford his meat. And the guy who loves drag racing will scrimp on every meal so he can poor every extra penny into his precious riced out Mitsubishi.

While the last two examples might offset each other somewhat, the first one really seems like a rich man version where he doesn't really sacrifice or offset anything. Holding off buying a new car for a few years? What a sacrifice. Maybe if he didn't own a car for a few years, and didn't travel outside a 50km radius during that time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

We do try to offset and minimize as much of our carbon footprint as possible over here, rural house owners that we are. Like an energy efficient house using ground heat exchange pump for heating + wood in an efficient "kakelugn". We don't consume much, we try and limit our consumption and use a lot of 2nd hand stuff + a thing about living in the country is you consume less stuff because there's less stuff to consume... Wages are also lower so you have less money to consume with. In fact a study on this in Finland showed that per capita people in the Helsinki metropolitan area had the bigger footprint per capita than rural dwellers because they consume so much more goods and services, all which produce CO2.

I did the carbon footprint calculator and our household carbon footprint (4 people, 1 small car, 0 air travel) is 6 tons per year so we're doing better than average for Finland. But it's surprising, the house and car travel account for less than half of that. The rest is kinda hard to downshift more on, like food and insurance, our bloody mortgage payments add 2 tons per year???

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

DrNutt posted:

I love cats but I work locally to help companion animals and the people in need who care for them rather than fling myself across the globe in order to satisfy some selfish desire.

You are woefully naive and optimistic about what how society will weather climate change and we will never be able to offer the rest of the world the high standard of living that you or I currently enjoy barring some sort of miracle breakthrough in energy production.

E: also I'm sure my carbon footprint sucks poo poo too but I'm not going to be god drat moralized at by the guy who flew across the world multiple times to see cats.

You can literally calculate it though. We're at 6 tons per year for our household. Just a rough estimate but better than nothing.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Cingulate posted:

To repeat, it appears you are much more invested in convincing some bystander that OOCC is a detestable individual rather than e.g. climate change and what to do about it.

The solution is to make everyone detest fliers so it become socially unacceptable to fly anymore. Based on personal observation, flying now is a lot less acceptable than say two years ago. Attitudes are shifting here anyway.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Could you grow coffee in greenhouses?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Looks like May 2018 might break all the records we got since we started recording the temperature in Finland.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Now here's a hot take from a swedish opinion piece, flying is good for the climate!

https://asikt.dn.se/asikt/debatt/flyget-medverkar-indirekt-till-ett-battre-klimat/

You can google translate it if you don't speak ärans och hjältarnas språk.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That, and the fear of non-climate change related revolution.

Good if they all concentrate into a single geographical location. A few well placed nukes could solve a lot of problems then.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

At a glance the video triggers my BS alarms due to sounding like a michael bay movie trailer, trying to find some actual info on what they propose it seems to be stuff like crop rotation, leaving fields fallow, use more natural fertilizers and stuff that seems to be in general usage here in Finland. Of course farms here are generally not the corporate hellmurderfarms of america so capitalist profit now motives don't have sole reign and the people have a more personal attachement to their farms and want a future for themselves, their lands and their children.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

capitalism 101 here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

To me it looks like countries like Finland and others building the new generations of reactors got hit with the early implementer scenario, one would hope after a few of these reactors are actually finished, that building more of them would become easier and faster.