Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jimbot posted:

In this case, let's be glad he was full of poo poo.

He's still full of poo poo. He changes his mind on any subject multiple times in the course of a single conversation. He's been known to do it in the same sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

We're already 10,000 years or so into a mass extinction event known as the Holocene extinction (I prefer Anthropocene extinction), and it's just getting started.

People probably don't stress the ocean as much as the land because people live on the land and not in the ocean. I mean I don't really care as much about the death of a large amount of sea life when the death of all available arable land is upon us. I can live without food that comes from the ocean a lot easier than I can live without food that comes from the land.

You kind of need the former if you want most of the latter.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

frytechnician posted:

This thread is probably the most depressing thing I've ever read. Irreversible destruction of life, denial and manipulation that it isn't happening from short term thugs.

Someone cheer me up, I keep switching back and forth between having nihilistic gallows humour about the whole thing to heart broken manic depression. I like this world, for better or worse.

The world's littered with the bones of civilizations that thought they would last forever. Ours is the latest on the queue.

Do what good you can in the present-term, don't have kids.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kenzie posted:

Why die now? Aren't you curious about what exactly is gonna happen in the coming decades? How it's all gonna play out? If any of the doomsday poo poo we talk about is actually gonna come true, it's gonna be one hell of a thing to witness.

"Morbid curiosity" isn't much of a reason to wake up in the morning.

I can sympathize with that guy to an extent, though the melodrama is really tedious - I've got next to no surviving family and not much of a social circle, but still found a little bit of optimism in the world at large, that ever-uphill climb, march of progress, et cetera, et cetera. Knowing instead that civilization as we know it is going to swirl down the spout sometime in the next half-century takes away even that small consolation, and the recent election is just the cherry on top of the poo poo sundae.

It's enough for me to stop bothering with my 401k, at the very least. Even if I do live long enough to hit retirement age, something tells me I won't want to stick around for much longer after that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

eNeMeE posted:

And there's the point where you should seek professional help.

Not kidding. Get your mood and behavior checked by a professional; there are therapies and drugs that can help with making things better. Or you'll find out you're totally rational and be on firmer footing for taking potentially irreversible actions.

I'm fine, dude. There isn't any garment-rending going on here. Some people have just needed to re-evaluate their futures a little in light of impending events.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I don't know who originally wrote that but I dislike them intensely.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

peter banana posted:

nvm: shockingly, the conversation about timidly suggesting reduction or elimination of animal product consumption as *A* possible climate change solution went to poo poo.

You came in with an axe to grind and the predictable outcome happened.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

syscall girl posted:

but seriously don't go near anywhere pigs are grown commercially

At least not without proper facial protection. Those poo poo-lagoon spores will wreck your insides right up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Potential BFF posted:

In 600 million years the carbonate silicate cycle will probably be disrupted to the point that there is no carbon left in the atmosphere and photosynthesis as it exists now will be impossible so we have that to look forward to!

By then the sun's expansion will have probably taken care of any remaining life on the planet anyway.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Most of the planet's oxygen is generated by oceanic bacteria. Ocean dies, everything asphyxiates.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Jesus Christ.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Cross-post from USPol/Trump thread:

Al Gore is personally re-hosting the CDC climate change conference.

The AltNatPark Twitter account is also at 1.2 million followers and rapidly climbing.

We might be doomed, but attempts to muzzle how doomed we are haven't been going well.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Forever_Peace posted:

I got plenty more where that came from. What thread is appropriate for a deep dive into the Authoritarian risk of Trump? Link me and I'm there.

Throw a rock, half the Internet right now is about how much Trump's going to ream us.

This is the main contender on D&D, though:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3797481&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Fine. Just let it all loving end.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Reminder that AceofFlames lives a comfortable middle-class lifestyle in the loving Netherlands where even the insanity of the Trump administration is relegated to bewildered Netherlandish headlines.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You say "the loving Netherlands" like the whole country isn't a minor sea level rise and a "freak" storm away from being nearly entirely flooded.

I live on a coast and things aren't much rosier here. At least the Dutch can build boats out of their impractical wooden shoes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Post-apocalypse survivalist types have always puzzled me a little

I mean there's barely any point to being alive now, let alone when civilization goes belly-up

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
China of all countries leveling off their emissions at such a rate is just one more piece of evidence that climate change mitigation is a question of will, not capability

It's still too late but that doesn't keep it from being good news.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Space travel will never happen. This rock is going to be our collective grave.

Live how you like and accept the idea of dying young.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TildeATH posted:

The ecomutants are evolved enough that they don't mind if you get a few years of use out of a dumb guy's heart before they kill you and eat it along with your original organs.

So are these mutants ecological ones or economical ones

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
call to action is all about two things, evangelizing the virtues of selfishness and possessing a geopolitical view of politics that begins and ends with "CLOSE BORDERS IMMEDIATELY, AMNESTY FOR ALL"

It's hard to tell which is dumber.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

Jesus Christ what a lot of effort put toward trying to convince people that there is a way to nonviolently dismantle the entirety of capitalism and consumerism in an incredibly short period of time, costing everyone in the world who matters even a little bit billions upon billions of dollars.

I think the problem here is that anyone who thinks this issue is politically solvable within the systems we currently have does not understand the actual severity of the climate issues we face in the next few decades. The utter naivety of it all at least gives the nihilist crowd something to laugh at while the world burns.

I have to admit, all of your points would be a lot more convincing if they weren't coming from an obese retail worker who literally suffered an hours-long panic attack because he made eye contact with a girl once.

For someone who goes on and on about how nothing matters except making your life better, you seem pretty content with wallowing in your lovely life and trying to make everyone else's that little bit worse.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

i read this whole thread and if these guys are correct the earth is about to enter feedback loop mechanism which will heat up this bitch like a microwave and we crossed the rubicon a long rear end time ago. its already way too late to save the planet even if somehow world wide economic degrowth is imposed and deniers are genocided. I personnaly dont believe any of this but if its true then we should adopt a live and let live mantra for the time we have left on this planet

It's going to be such a good day when your junkie rear end dies.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

So why are so few people alarmed about climate change? Our 'leaders' treat it as a small issue, the media rarely covers it, people in general may say they think it's a huge issue but then they just continue business as usual, consuming and polluting. Is it because most of them think they're old enough they won't feel the full effects? Do a lot of people actually think it's a hoax and all of the scientists are lying to them? I am honestly unsure. Even my (soon to be ex) wife says that the world will be poo poo to live on in 30 years if we don't change things and she still wants kids

The imminent collapse of global civilization isn't something that one easily wraps their head around without incurring a little bit of severe psychological damage.

People are used to dealing with problems closest to them and nothing else.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

We do not, in fact, actually have enough nuclear weapons to glass the planet. We do not even have enough to hit every town and city in the world.

Now you're just being pedantic.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Long term space travel is an idiotic fiction and will never, ever happen.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nice piece of fish posted:

Whether or not some Star Trek future comes to pass, whether or not that's even possible

It is not possible. You're an imbecile for even bringing it up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

call to action posted:

You couldn't be further off base. How much happiness, and art, and creation do you see coming from displaced Syrian refugees? Some, certainly, but nowhere near as much as you'd see if they were still living their semi-prosperous lives from the 2000 or so era. That's my point, that we're not going to soft-land into a place where we just live in log cabins again.

"You must be THIS CULTURED to persist as a species"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Lol as if it's affordable in the usa.

He's Dutch.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm not, I just work in the Netherlands. FYI.

Even worse.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

call to action posted:

There's never a need to apologize for your mental health!

lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
gonna be fantastic when all those people die

hopefully it'll happen slightly sooner than myself

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
don't go and spend your bank account on a diamond plated dildo but also do not bother with long term savings if you're below 30 and not already rich, imo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

I don't really get what you're laughing at. Maybe you're reading a stronger moral judgement into what I'm saying than I mean to imply?

I was done being personally outraged at the people who destroyed the world by the time I turned 18. I've accepted things for what they are and I'm working toward making my own life better and safer than those who dick around trying to pretend like we can still save the world.

Making vague gestures towards a "geoengineering degree" isn't any sort of life improvement, bucko.

You're going to die the way you lived and NZ is probably full up on fat and friendless register jockeys.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Telephones posted:

What the hell is there to do at this point? Early twenties, very little money and no authority. What can I do to be prepared?

Make peace with dying young.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

everyone ITT is now a god drat expert on depression

you can tell because the advice is "go outside" and "watch clips of puppies and kittens" and it has been proven those things really help deal with depression

Here's an idea: how about you motherfuckers stop putting that label on everyone who has a rightfully pessimistic outlook on how things are going? It's rude and demeaning and unfunny.

maybe take a gander at ace's post history before you shoot your mouth off there, champ

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
kill all thinkpiece writers

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

like the worthless loving asparagus whose production is needlessly grim.

I don't even like asparagus but I need this explained.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Well gently caress asparagus, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

At the expense of the literal planet? :psyduck:

You're talking to someone who's bragged about flying to every nation in the world so he can take pictures of cats.