Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Welcome young one. They're called gang tags. We're not cool enough for them. :smith:

I've been thinking about a system like this for years, wondering where I was wrong in my science to think this was somehow a good idea. Except it was. And Bill Gates is pouring money into it. :psyduck: Moar trees - trees

quote:

Carbon Capture Plant in Squamish, BC

The mountain air in Squamish, B.C., could soon be even fresher with the launch of a groundbreaking carbon capture operation.

The pilot project will suck carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, not from an industrial plant like other such operations, with the goal of turning the gas into fuel.

Built and operated by Calgary-based Carbon Engineering, the $9-million plant will capture about one tonne of CO2 per day, which is the equivalent of taking about 100 cars off the road annually.

Founded by Harvard climate scientist David Keith and backed by big-name investors including Bill Gates, Carbon Engineering has spent several years turning academic research into technology that could be commercialized.

The company will unveil its pilot plant in Squamish on Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Radbot posted:

Wow, a carbon sequestration plant that mitigates the carbon of 60 households' worth of transportation (not their heating, cooling, etc.). Truly, technology will be our savior.

that article posted:

The operation has been capturing CO2 since May, but its primary purpose is to prove that the technology can work on a much larger scale, taking in up to one-million tonnes per day.
"It's still a pilot-scale plant," explained Adrian Corless, Carbon Engineering's CEO. "But it's very important, because it's the first time that anyone's demonstrated a technology that captures CO2 that has the potential to be scaled up to be large enough to be relevant from an environmental or climate point of view."

Like... the very next paragraph in the article, dude. I should have quoted the whole article in the first place.

e- This very thing is why I barely discuss climate change, because it's so difficult to explain to someone why you invest in a project or technology that might help but not 100% solve the problem. "Well it this one plant won't have a significant impact" is not a meaningful critique of this technology, any more than, "one PV mega-site can't do the work of a nuclear plant in the same area, so it's clearly not worth it" is a meaningful critique of PV solar technology.

Is the base statement true that this one plant may not have a meaningful impact? Sure, but it's also a demonstration of the technology that can bemassively scaled up to the point where it CAN make a difference. Again with these emerging technologies, this isn't some silver bullet for the problem - it's one part of the global first-aid kit we're going to have to develop to unfuck ourselves. It's not even like North America is new to giant infrastructure projects or anything. Whenever I see some say "this won't work, why bother", I just see "too much effort, not enough profit", and I think that is the ONLY thing in the way of doing exactly what's necessary, and not because we "can't" in any measure of the word.

Caedus fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 3, 2015