Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

It took good, working cars off the streets, put those cars owners in debt to keep the American Automotive Industry floating, and actually was incredibly environmentally detrimental. It damaged the used car scene for at least a decade or more.

For instance: You just chastised someone for keeping an 92 Geo Metro (likely a joke, I know) but do you know what sort of fuel milage the 1992 Geo Metro got?

46 MPG City.
50 MPG Highway.

Cash for Clunkers was an abject failure and an incredible environmental tragedy.

Aren't you like guaranteed to die if you get in a crash in one of those things?

I mean yeah that would be good for the environment but I don't think Full On Murder Everyone is a politically viable solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I pulled a belt tight around my neck and I'm starting to feel really great. I think I'm going to keep this up forever. Nothing bad has happened yet, so nothing bad ever will.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Banana Man posted:

Arkane I truly do not understand what you are arguing. What is the whole of the information you link here? Almost every piece you link is either from think tanks or pieces taken out of context from a larger study. Your goalposts have slid considerably, which sure I could agree different information would naturally change your viewpoint, but when something new comes out you're immediately posting something from a defensive point.

What do you believe regarding climate change? How much have those beliefs changed over the last 5 years? What made you think differently then than you do now regarding it?

He believes in the Climategate email scandal conspiracy theory. That should pretty much sum him up entirely.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Arkane posted:

I mean...I was posting about malfeasance at CRU/Mann before Climategate; it was a hot button issue before any email ever leaked. So yes I believe in that scandal, and no it's not some wacky conspiracy theory. They undermined peer review, thwarted FOIA, conspired to deny data from other researchers, and blatantly deleted data which showed proxy/temperature mismatches in two high-profile temperature reconstructions. They crossed the line from scientists to activists.

People generally frame the issue as one where global warming was put in doubt, and some media outlets pretended that it did just that. But for those who knew the issue well, it was strictly about a group of scientists who write the entire paleo reconstruction section of the IPCC report conspiring to make the reconstruction data as alarmist as possible. The reconstruction section of climate science is a cesspit of activists using very bad statistics to come to highly suspect conclusions that are in direct opposition to anthropological data from that time period. It's a complete farce, and if their field was medicine instead of paleoclimate, Jones & Mann at a minimum would be out of a job.

This is what the conspiracy theory is, yes, so saying you believe it is saying you believe in the conspiracy theory.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Banana Man posted:

You should probably take that trip to see the reef

Did that last year. Hail Satan.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I feel like the chances are very high that we're going to end up trying to do some geoengineering band aid patch that ends up with bad unintended consequences

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Edit: haha

Edit2: to add some content

NewForumSoftware posted:

Well no, but I'm not naive enough to believe HRC of all people is beholden to campaign promises.

She's got a pretty good voting record on environmental issues and she's heading the most progressive Democratic platform in years. Why do you suppose she's going to do an about face on her campaign promises?

Lemming fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 26, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ol Standard Retard posted:

I mean, climate change is The Issue, full stop. A lot of other things flow from it and will continue to flow more from it, and there is no hope to address it in a real way if Donny becomes president.

Not an issue anymore, in the same way an inoperable brain tumor is not an issue so much as terminal

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I hope releasing sulfates into the air works and doesn't kill us all even faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hollismason posted:

What's the science behind a warm lake equal more snow? I don't understand that.

I assume higher temperature means more evaporation of the water and it's still cold enough that it snows instead of rains.