Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

One thing that we don't talk much about in the US is anaerobic digestion.

AD Tasha organic waste and through biological processes creates
1) biogas (methane, but not a fossil fuel - it is recycling carbon that is already in circulation, and not in sequestered sinks)
2) electricity from methane
3) CHP plants can be used to heat local buildings/greenhouses
4) creates a usable fertilizer that is not petrochemical based, and can be land applied to local farms, reducing transportation distances and energy use
5) scalable, from household size to massive

The biogas can also be cleaned up and pipeline injected into natural gas lines (its all just ch4, but in this case it is not a fossil fuel)

It's a form of energy generation that deals with a solid waste stream in a holistic manner, which had widespread adoption in European markets. The US market is still developing but over the past few years there has been quite a bit of movement in its development.

It is a more locally scaled energy source that, due to its 'fuel source' needs to be distributed. It is a way of producing "biofuels" from plant material, but actually has a positive EROEI unlike corn ethanol.

Sorry for poo poo formatting, phone posting.

e: a wholistic/circular economy example of something we can do to mitigate climate change by reducing dependants on fossil fuels and petrofertilizers while generating local jobs and energy.

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I hold a MS in Environmental Science, and I challenged students on why they didn't like nuclear energy (since I'm pro nuke) and it all comes down to lack of any information/anti bomb.

It was pretty annoying and I got into some heated exchanges. I was able to convert a few people/have them do additional research and look into it themselves. loving hippies.