Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

AceOfFlames posted:

I understand the mentality and would agree if I was somehow unaware that as all of this is happening, I would be either starving, tortured and/or raped to death along with everyone else.

You're in a depression spiral. Stop wallowing in information that feeds the spiral. It's the only way out.

Watch some happy stuff about puppy's and kittens, go outside for a walk and chitchat with someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

When an eco-system self corrects it burns down, and then an entirely new ecosystem takes its place.

There is no balance in nature.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Morbus posted:

My dude the earth is not some self-correcting harmonious system guided by the steady and invisible hand of a genius, it has spent the last ~4 billion years just blindly and wildly barreling from one massive catastrophe to the next, repeatedly destroying the majority of all life, re-emerging each time in increasingly asinine and doomed configurations built on only the most tenuous and illusory foundations of stability, under the ever negligent and capricious care of a retarded and violent Gaia. Its only destiny is to die.

This man speaks the truth.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

call to action posted:

It's also pretty objectively true, though. Fulfulling self-created needs doesn't count as purpose - I'm glad mothers love their children, etc. but none of it's worth it at the cost of the only place humanity can live.

There is no inherent purpose to anything dude?

Our species survival holds no more inherent value than a mother's love for her child. Or me taking a poo poo.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Ace, go join a soup kitchen or go work with some disable kids or something. If you do some good you'll feel better.

You are right, you can't argue yourself into being happier. You'll have to do actual stuff.

I get that it is hard, when you feel the way you do. But there is nothing I can say as a person on the internet that will really help with that. You need to find it in yourself to go try and do a little bit of good, and that will be enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Absurdism is only true philosophy to live by.

Imagine Sisyphus happy.