Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Rime posted:

Despite being certain that things are out of control and we're going to see unprecedented agony as our civilization enters its death throes over the next decade, I'm now working on a degree in Environmental Engineering at age 30.
Mostly because I don't want to work on ropes for pennies my whole life, but also because even if the ship is sinking I would rather die having tried to plug some holes than sat around bitching about how bad the leaks are until I drown.
^ I am in a similar space. I'm doing a health psychology degree at 29 - beelining on climate change affecting mental health and health in general. When I was a teen I rabidly believed in the rapture. You can still internet stalk some of my posts on the rr-bb.com message board. I am cognizant of human bias towards alarmism. And so careful to be in such state of dread. But as climate shifts affect humans in unprecedented ways, I feel rightness in leaning into responding to the tremors that will definitely mark our lifetime. It gives me something to do. My secret scary goal (of which I tell NOBODY in rl) is to get into medical school after this so I can be on the ground. But even if I don't get into that, at least fall into something useful in the face of what is to come. At least it isn't the tribulation.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I've also read the entire thread recently. Apart from feeling like Ethan Hawke's character in First Reformed, I feel much more confident to gab about cc in rl. The whole situ is actually... ugh... sapping. Like even writing this post I'm struggling to be motivated to... ugh. Nevermind.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I think there will be a great panic in the next twenty years. A la a wwz

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

^ Thanks for the link. Here's another one. https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php
This is a forum I've been following. The posters are pretty on to it. I still am sorting the wheat from the raptureready echo chamber. But its got good data and links. Its pretty up the stream and i think a good proportion of the posters are either climate scientists or work in some related industry.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Maybe the way our brains work is incompatible with what we need to be.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

There is a particular forum I lurk that has some v good threads on climate change and evolving from capitalism. I don't want to link it here because I feel its one of those situations where the quality of the forum will decline when it starts to become more popular. I know that sounds douchey but I'd rather not be a part of that because it'd be unfair to the forum (its small). If you are interested in joining in my lurking, pm me.
e: content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paf2pJtaXYE
e: lol its aleady been posted heaps here: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 5, 2018

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Is it nuts that the 2020 USA general election will decide the fate of the world?
thats a lot of nuts!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Ah, i've been told the forum i said i'd send via pm has already been posted in this forum heaps so: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/
sorry about that guys!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I live in Aotearoa. We are a low lying South Pacific island. We're full of racists and FYGM mcmansioneers. We have heaps of sand. We have hippies too. I have no answers. If a wwz great panic actually happens many migrates will definitely suffer here because we are low lying. I guess we could live in the hill and mountains. But much of our agricultural land is @ sea level.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

^ Good Q. I don't have an answer. But I feel part of the answer would be from looking back to when information was decentralized as well as the 20th century.

StabbinHobo posted:

on the other hand its depressing to watch all the newbs show up in this thread and just re-enact a sortof group-exercise in copy/pasting the exact same poo poo from any given 3 pages of this 400+ page thread.
Eh. I'd rather 400+ more pages of this than a dead thread. Maybe start a CC thread veteran thread? Then again, every megathread could really do with an alternative veteran thread.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

emperor naked
four new posts in cursed thread
reading them makes sad

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I think even using numbers isn't going to work. You basically have to gather a religiosity about stewardship for gxd's creation/gxxx.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The reason reason regulars post in this thread is to assert their place on its dominance hierarchy when it becomes the biggest megathread in 2030.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ1HRGA8g10
Pretty direct programme by the BBC. Some signal forwarding, some token opposition dude. I like Simon Beard's optimism.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

cc1 will be our ww2.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 19, 2018

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

So what will be the next disruption that jolts everybody into a great panic a la a world war z?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Kids entering school now will be at university in 2036-2040. So that's when stuff will definitely be going down right? Surely parents today can see that, if they won't make it until climate change affects everybody badly, their kids will be in the middle of it.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The Dipshit posted:

https://mymodernmet.com/parag-khanna-global-warming-map/

Going off the possibility that we get our butts into gear after 2050 or so, guaranteeing at least 2C and maybe getting another 1C in the transition itself from the new infrastructure and all that concrete, that'd put us somewhat close to a thing like this. Bear in mind, this part isn't my specialty though, so throw in that caveat.
The map is, like the bro startup page, saying that we'll have endless power/farm land through Northern Africa. Actually it goes even further than the bros and says we'll have a band of it right across America too! I mean.
Here's the thing. If the world was actually ending in the next forty years, you can prepare. Even if it's just going to get maimed and everything is gonna hurt super bad. You can prepare. Here is what you do:
1. FYGM, maximize your personal resources, $$, property and social connections.
2. Buy land in NZ or Scandinavia or Canada.
3. Build a bunker on your land. Keep it secret, keep it safe.
4. Buy a bookdepository.com copy of World War Z (2006) by Max Brooks.
5. Read it incessantly, tell all your friends its the closest we've got to what's about to happen. Especially the Great Panic and the masses not realizing what's about to hit them. Do not use the term 'sheeple'.
6. Go live in your bunker with your copy of World War Z. Also buy the audiobook, its got some good voice actors.
7. Post on the RaptureReady message boards.
8. ???
9. Proliferate! (your doomsday message on a lovely youtube channel with 14 subscribers).
But seriously, I'm of a mind that this is something terrible and soon. However, our collective minds just can't comprehend it. Its hard not to be printing out that Deep Adaption: A Map for Navigating Climate Change doomsday paper at work and not feel like a crazy person. I struggle to conceptualize climate breakdown on a personal psychology level. How much do I incorporate it into my weighing up of the world? Do I mention it at parties?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

^Yeah that's been posted a few times. Its also been debunked, I believe. debunked because it relies on the premise that buttcoin will actually catch on on. i mean, if it actually does glitch up money in an unstoppable way then maybe we'll wake up to having to evolve super quick past this whole "inequality" nonsense.

but hell yeah phys.org.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

AceOfFlames posted:

Clearly the best course of action is just to ignore all of this and just live my life.
Yes!
Also: it's all false! It's all a dream! It's alright! (Poetry ails me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0pvLrp8Oqo
And that's about the outcry to climate breakdown right now.
And this is what we're up against: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtvlJc-rrI0

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 15, 2018