Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

AceOfFlames posted:

I guess I just want to know what motivates people. What leads someone to willingly fight a losing battle?
We’re all going to die someday, climate change or no. The entire universe will eventually decay into a lifeless uniform void, rendering all human effort meaningless. Sooner or later you’re going to have to accept that nobody else is going to swoop in and tell you the meaning of life, and just start muddling through and figuring it out for yourself like every other human that has ever existed.

I honestly think you’d benefit from reading some Stoic philosophy and learning to enjoy life just by living well. Here is a book I enjoyed that you might find helpful.

TACD fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Banana Man posted:

What's long pork
*Who’s

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

the nucas posted:

i don't expect i'm the first person to bring this up in 400 pages, but there's a difference between the vague relationship with personal mortality men have contended with since the dawn times, and the weird existential despair that sets in with imagining the end of humanity/civilization after your death. samuel scheffler has written about this, calling it "collective afterlife dependency". there's something very different between "i am not the master of my fate" and "nothing i build, create, or accomplish matters, because everyone dies with me, and the wind will howl across our bones on the planet we converted to a lifeless tomb".
I haven’t read the book but I’d argue that people use the ‘collective afterlife’ as a mental crutch for dealing with their own mortality and thus never really come to terms with the fact that everything ends eventually. If your life is given meaning by future humanity and humanity is given meaning by some imaginary endless march through time and space then you’re going to feel pretty raw when faced with the plain fact that they will both stop someday.

Conversely, trying to find meaning in the everyday lived experience of your life is challenging because it requires really facing up to the choices you’re making and what they imply for the values you think you hold; it means accepting that you probably won’t have much impact on the course of history but you actually can make meaningful changes in your life (once you stop making excuses for why you can’t). It’s certainly something I struggle with.