Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/natural-gas-emissions-podcast-energy-gang

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/06/study-us-oil-and-gas-methane-emissions-have-been-dramatically-underestimated/

Good news in that we are getting a better idea of emissions, bad news in that industry should have been catching this, so I am donning another layer of tinfoil hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Maybe this is the thread I heard about this then. Overall I would like things to be less doomed.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

IIRC a lot of the practical value in biodiversity to medicine and industry lies in weird chemical quirks that can crop up on the same timescale as the spots. We're almost certainly already losing good stuff that could have led to breakthroughs.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

pykrete seeded glaciers mebbe? since we want that sweet sweet reflection off ice and snow to mitigate the heat..

and goon project kelp farms. I would donate to these.

vorebane fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 31, 2018

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Rime posted:

But yeah, plant a tree and pull some weeds or whatever best floats your boat towards the apocalypse. :shrug:
Hey man kelp absorbs carbon, mass farms will buy scientists like 3 days to invent that loving magic carbon absorption we've decided we should have to need.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

We basically need boats carrying mass kelp farms, absorbing carbon on long rear end trips to deep ocean. I don't actually know the physics maybe there are intake hotspots? Then we gotta haul the kelp to be sequestered some place. And that would probably incur too much carbon to do it, but maybe it's doable going green powered?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

speedrun the azolla event

the Japanese are using nets to apparently double production surface, so mass dumbasses could potentially put a dent in it. Fighting ocean carbonification, I think acidification would be a plus. I forget how near hothouse the current trajectory the thread said we were at.

I agree we need nuclear power.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Thus we need nuclear, and coal to go on welfare. Maybe WV can go into mountaintop removal wilderness creation.

edit: grammar

vorebane fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 2, 2018

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Someone tell Putin a warmer Siberia will actually be a mosquito wasteland with all the puddles from ex-permafrost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

AceOfFlames posted:

I will. Clearly the best course of action is just to ignore all of this and just live my life.

Also, therapy.