Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
History has seem to shown that Command economies are good in the short run but are unsustainable as a long term solution.

So, the same as every other seemingly magical solution to problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TildeATH posted:

Anyone else getting sick and tired of the bipolar naiveté? One minute people are talking about how human beings are going to be vaporized when the climate changes to bees and the next minute we "only have to build twenty thousand desalination plants in India" or "full communism now". It's just this kind of childishness that lead us here. The unwillingness for adults to deal with a situation in a rational manner, and instead let it devolve into slogans and magical thinking. It really makes me hate you people. You sort of deserve all this poo poo.

There's honestly nothing left to discuss. Virtually everyone agrees that yes climate change exists and yes it's a big deal and yes severe changes have to happen in order to at least attempt to live with climate change.

Everything beyond that is either Arkane trolling or some variety of "what if a meteor hit the Himalayas, then we'd be doubly hosed!" fear mongering. It really should be locked.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tenacious J posted:

Well, it seems that news reports are frequently coming out that are changing the timeframe on things. I, for one, have been especially startled by the recent discussion of methane leaks. Maybe there's nothing left to discuss, but maybe someone could give me an estimate on how long I have to live. I've been having a bit of an existential crisis the last couple of days. It's hard to care about my job or future plans.

If you're in a developed nation it's highly unlikely your lifespan will be shortened due to climate change.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Salt Fish posted:

When a conversation is difficult or a problem intractable, that can be a sign of its importance.

The conversation isn't difficult though, it's very very simple. That's why people get bored and start posting their weird apocalypse fantasies.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
In the timescale we're discussing, trees are pretty much carbon neutral. The bad news is that you can't really count them for sequestration. The good news is that burning them doesn't really matter that much.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Not saying there aren't concerns about climate change, but dude whose company is literally defined by electric cars and storage might not be the best source to draw from.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

parcs posted:

That makes no sense.

I wouldn't trust T. Boone Pickens trying to sell me on wind power either.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Uncle Jam posted:

Profits have been declining because of over supply, which has been intentional to hurt certain producers. Once the price rises again the profits will come back.

Sort of. Renewables are reaching a point where it's very economical to switch to them, so the prices can't rise too much.

That's honestly probably the major reason why there's over supply - the Saudis would rather have most of a lower margin market than some of a higher margin one.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Paradoxish posted:

I'm open to being proven wrong, but I'm not sure that there's any evidence that renewables are having much of an impact on oil prices in general. There are a ton of fundamental reasons for the low prices like collapsing Chinese demand. US supply has also shot through the roof over the last few years and basically everyone is doing balls to the wall pumping. Meanwhile, coal is just being destroyed by another fossil fuel.

It's not directly related. Prices are low in order to smother the US supply. Prices won't get too high because then non-fossil fuels are more economical (and that's a ticking time bomb anyway).

Important to note that coal is not petrol either.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AceOfFlames posted:

I am saving for retirement (if only since if things get really bad I can use that money for some wild and crazy fun ride or something). However, I am deliberately staying away from relationships because I don't want anyone to care for me or anyone to "have to" defend in case things go bad. Is that a bad approach?

The dumb macho survivalist narrative that's parroted in these post-apocalypse movies will get you killed faster than if you have an existing support structure.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

schmuckfeatures posted:

Well yes, but isn't it a little odd that a forum called "Debate & Discussion" doesn't discuss the fact that every month for the last sixteen months has been the hottest month on record? I kinda think it's time we talked about mitigation (which is probably hopeless at this point) or adaptation (the more realistic alternative).

We have, it generally leads into prepper talk and how eating bugs is the only way to survive.

Bonus if you get into totally not racist means of forced sterilization to control population.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

call to action posted:

I'd literally die to try to sabotage any attempt at chemtrailing us into an acid rain hellscape just so China doesn't have to give up its coal plants.

Yeah, it's the dastardly Chinese that are keeping Big Coal afloat.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

shrike82 posted:

LOL, yeah those climatologists are always overstating things

Climatologists generally aren't saying "everything is hosed, go commit suicide right now".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

shrike82 posted:

Man James Hansen saying 2C is too much is certainly equivalent to "go commit suicide right now"
Exactly the kind of bullshit I'm talking about

You saying "we need population control and nuclear exchanges" is equivalent to that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

shrike82 posted:

Looking at Syria, I think we're already in the midst of GCC-driven conflict so too late.

So nuking Syria would prevent climate change, good to know.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trabisnikof posted:

It is weird to see this "inaction alliance" between climate deniers and pessimists who disagree on if climate is real but both agree that if it is we should "enjoy the ride" and not try and change anything.

I guess anything to justify one's lifestyle in the face of reality.

It's the natural evolution of a denialist.

It isn't happening -> Maybe it is happening but it's totally a natural process -> Well maybe humans did do some stuff but can't change it now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NewForumSoftware posted:

He's saying that anyone who doesn't share his (wrong and stupid) opinion is a bad person. If we are bad people for our views, it makes him easy to ignore them as a valid alternative because he's not a bad person. Ignorance is bliss.

It's easy to ignore you when you're literally saying "poo poo's hosed, may as well ignore it".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NewForumSoftware posted:

That's actually not what I'm saying

NewForumSoftware posted:

Go do what you love, go travel the world, learn about whatever you want. Don't waste your time trying to save the planet from climate change or save humans from extinction, it's way too big of a problem for one person to solve (and they can't anyways) and the chance for collective action to save us is already gone.

Right.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

quote:

Now, a growing number of studies are raising the possibility that as those ice sheets melt, sea levels could rise by six feet this century

I think you're confused as to what a "meter" is.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NewForumSoftware posted:

Read the entire article and then the second paper.

Like gently caress, it's no wonder you all don't actually understand reality. If you stick to headlines and abstracts you'll get a very watered down view of the science.

quote:

Turning their model to the future, DeConto and Pollard project more than three feet of sea level rise from Antarctica alone by 2100 — assuming growing greenhouse gas emissions that boost the planet’s temperature by about 4 degrees C (7 degrees F). That is far more than the last IPCC estimate in 2013, which projected less than eight inches of sea level rise from a melting Antarctic by 2100, with a possibility for inches more from the dramatic collapse of Antarctic glaciers.

So again, 3 feet in a 4C scenario from Antarctica (by 2100, not 2050), tell me where the remaining 30 feet of sea level is going to come from.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NewForumSoftware posted:

BAHAHAHHA you did it again. Amazing. No, keep reading dude and actually click the second link in my post.

Google Ron Paul 10m of sea level rise.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NewForumSoftware posted:

I wish your posts were long enough for me to just read the first sentence and ignore the rest. I'm guessing this post is an admission that the words got to be too much about half way through the first link and you just gave up?

You're having a strange meltdown over your own papers contradicting you.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NewForumSoftware posted:

The first link was an article (not a paper) written about many papers.

So why link it? Seems very irresponsible of you.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GlyphGryph posted:

BattleMoose coming into the thread arguing for optimism, proposing a wild target as a real possibility and reason to have hope, and then being unable to even explain how it would result in a situation that wasnt hosed up or really do anything at all but by us more time before the inevitable collapse is probablu the single most depressing and demoralizing thing I have read in this thread of depressing and demoralizing things.

You can't typically convince the clinically depressed using logic.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GlyphGryph posted:

And the relevance that has to anything I said is...?

Many occupants of this thread fall under that definition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NewForumSoftware posted:

If it's depressing to hear me say you should stop caring about the planet and start worrying about your local community so be it.

Oh no that's not depression, that tends towards nationalism and fascism.