Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the cool environmentalist poo poo i learned about from my farm tending uncle over thanksgiving weekend was Anaerobic Digestion. typical composting plans involve burying waste, but this results in some serious greenhouse gas release due to the decomposition process. anaerobic digesters are basically giant mixers that you funnel compost into along with bacteria or chemical compounds that allow you to run the decomposition/digestion process in a controlled environment that allows you to capture and process released chemicals rather than letting them into the atmosphere. the process results in energy (due to heat produced by the separation process), a small pile of pure carbon detritus, and a chemical slurry that happens to make an extremely effective fertilizer.

it's currently only particularly viable on farms due to the best candidate for digestion being methane-rich cow poo poo, but the economic prospects are apparently highly favorable. the power can go back into the grid and the hyperfertilizer boosts the gently caress out of crop growth compared to traditional fertilizers. It was interesting to learn about! although the hyperfertilizer is apparently more effective for grasses than it is for stalks, meaning america's nonsensically excessive corn production won't be as incentivised to get with the program, which is a bummer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Hello Sailor posted:

Not that I'm doubting your uncle, but as I understand it, the major grain crops (corn, wheat, etc) actually are grasses.

I could be wrong on that last point. All he mentioned was that the fertilizer allowed for more harvest cycles than he had the year before, and that corn didnt end up reaping the same benefits that allowed for.