Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Gave a little talk today at my school on geoengineering.

Please god let politicians never get it into their heads that we can solve climate problems by dumping sulfates into the atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Hello Sailor posted:

School as in where you attend or where you attended? If geoengineering is part of your career, I'd be interested in reading about what you do.

It might be at some point, right now I'm just a dumb almost graduate student.

What scares me about geoengineering is that if we start doing it, we'll basically have to keep doing it indefinetly, or until atmospheric concentrations start falling naturally, which is basically the same thing. If we just increase emissions and try to mitigate with heavy geoengineering and then have to stop for whatever reason, it could lead to extremely rapid warming, like 1 degree/10 years rapid. That's like giving the ecosystem both barrels.

Carbon capture might help, but considering that last year's emissions alone fill a volume at 1 atm that almost equals the Baltic Ocean, I'm not too hopeful on that front.

I'm not sure if I even want to study this poo poo. The more you look the more depressing it gets.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Here's a pretty comprehensive, one-stop basic look into geoengineering for anyone interested.

https://www.nap.edu/catalog/18988/climate-intervention-reflecting-sunlight-to-cool-earth

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

The reaction happened for co2 dissolved in water and a specially made nanoscale structure raises questions about scalability. Also I didn't see any mention of the co2 concentration used on a quick read through their paper.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Surprise Giraffe posted:

So the graph Beck posted is of dubious veracity? Why are people still panicking about it ITT

Because area and extent are two different measurements, lookie here:

Uncle Jam posted:

Seriously? They are measuring two different things. It is even in most of the simple FAQs!
http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/faq/#area_extent

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Uncle Jam posted:

When I arrived they had just got a new round of private funding. All 3 guys also had just gotten shiny new ICE sports cars that they were eager to show off. So we did that for a half day. They were using a very power intensive process to separate the carbon out of the captured material so I asked the obvious question, if they captured more carbon than they ultimately produced. Oh yes, definitely no question. However, the second half of the interview was hooking up a power meter to measure the actual usage of electricity which had never been done before. Totally insane. Also they had extraordinary skepticism about the accuracy of the measurement equipment and asked a ton of questions about how it worked, which made me believe they might actually have hooked it up before and didn't like the results.

lol

I'll never stop being amazed by how quickly basic poo poo falls by the wayside when there's something new and shiny and lucrative to do.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

Honestly not trying to be negative here, but this paragraph is a really good summary of why CCS is so difficult on scales that matter:

250,000 similar plants to filter 1% of global CO2 emissions, even though right now this single system can't produce carbon at anywhere near market prices. CCS has to operate on absolutely massive scales.

Also as far as I can tell that system isn't sequestering a single gram of carbon. It's just concentrating it so it can be used to grow bigger salads.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, that's the plan: getting the CO2 out of the atmosphere so it can be used for something else. Like I said, it's baby steps; they're operating on the assumption that market forces will turn the captured CO2 into a commodity ("blue crude"), or at least that federal subsidies will kick in. It's capitalist as gently caress, but it's a pilot program and it could lead to something more useful down the road.

Right, but in that case the best they can do is reducing emissions by substituting carbon from the atmosphere for "frozen" carbon. I can't help but feel like there are lots of better ways to reduce current emissions by one percent than building 250000 of these plants, so if they have to be subsidized with political action and public money, they're kind of a waste.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Telephones posted:

How can I personally accelerate climate change?

Get a plane and learn to fly it, fly over the Amazon and boreal forests and drop homemade napalm into them.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

I think this is a serviceable summary about that issue.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/co2-higher-in-past.htm

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

No, it definitely makes people depressed.

I went to school for chemical engineering and environmental science, so a lot of the classes I took had people who were going for pure science degrees and a lot of those people were doing environmental/climate concentrations. I've been out of school for years now and none of the people I met and kept in contact with were sad sacks at the time, but a whole lot of them are now. A girl I dated briefly and stayed in touch with called me out of the blue (literally the only time I had spoken to her in years outside of text/email) a couple of years ago in tears because her and her fiancee had decided they couldn't in good conscience ever have children and she didn't know who else to talk to about it. She's doing a phd in some kind of atmospheric research.

A lot of other people I've stayed in touch with basically only ever talk to me about bad news, and that 100% was not true five or more years ago. This is a topic that can really gently caress with you no matter how naturally optimistic you are. The fact that there are people in this thread who just want to have their sadbrains validated probably isn't something that's true on a wide scale.

I could/should be working on a similiar degree right now and I'm stalled because of serious doubts that I actually have it in me to spend my life basically cataloging depressing poo poo.

Years ago when I was doing my bachelors a professor told me that the IPCC 4.5 RCP was an optimistic scenario, and I thought that surely it was perfectly achievable with 2.6 being maybe too much to ask. :downs:

Evil_Greven posted:

Yeah, this ain't hyperbole folks:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Paris accord fell apart rapidly at this point and governments started preparing for the worst.

lol

nothing matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

hmm let me input this idea of slowly rising emissions until 2040 into this highly advanced climate simulation I have laying around

hmm the output is just "lmao" I wonder what that means?