Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

-Troika- posted:

Venezuela has collapsed because it's ruled by a kleptocracy that pretends it's a functioning government. It has jack poo poo to do with the climate.

TIL government styles determine rainfall over reservoir catchment basins. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Arkane posted:

Let's destroy the thing raising standards of living across the planet. Good idea!

Yeah man, enforcing a culture of "consumption at all costs" onto every society everywhere is totally paving our way to nirvana and not a dystopian nightmare which will kill billions.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The past few pages are a fantastic and salient example of why we're all going to die rather than fix this gigantic clusterfuck. :allears:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Wanderer posted:

This is a mirror of an article on Forbes. The guy who was engineering artificial leaves has now come up with a bacterium that eats hydrogen and atmospheric CO2 and turns them into alcohols, providing a carbon-neutral fuel source.

http://i.imgur.com/Eh5yzAJ.jpg

Since we still require a certain amount of these around to survive, and the potential for runaway and mutation is high with a bacterium, this scares the poo poo out of me. :ohdear:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Similarly:

Antarctic CO2 Hit 400 PPM for First Time in 4 Million Years

Nothing to see here, move along.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Placid Marmot posted:

The temperature has not changed by +6° at the rate that it is currently changing, which is the problem. Previously, a change of +/-6° occurred over thousands of years, and there was time for natural selection to produce organisms (phytoplankton in this case) that were better able to tolerate warmer water. This change is or may be occuring over a century, rather than thousands of years, which may not be enough time for sufficiently adapted plankton to arise.

Ehhhhh, that's a whole lot of "maybes" and "may nots", I see no cause for concern.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Some rich guy dumped several hundred tons of Iron off the coast of Haida Gwaii. All it did was really gently caress up fish spawning and decimate multiple species.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Give up on keeping up with the Jone's, espouse YOLO in all things and don't give a gently caress about what might happen.

An attitude which would make a large portion of the population happier, regardless of almost certain impending doom.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Hello Sailor posted:

Do you think your crippling depression and near-homelessness might have anything to do with the perpetual attitude of hopelessness you espouse in this thread?

Eh? I'm not hopeless, I just don't see much point in sitting there wringing ones hands in despair over what may or may not happen several decades down the line. Especially if you're born in the west after 1980, which makes you one of the most privileged and potential-imbued individuals in the history of the entire human species. In the context of global corporatism and entrenched oligarchy, one raindrop no longer causes the flood.

Goons would do well to spend less time shitposting and more of it enjoying the time which is given to us. :gandalf:

If I gave a poo poo about goons using my post history as ammo, I wouldn't post in the subforum which disallows editing. :fuckoff:

Rime fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 26, 2016

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Personally I don't like the doom and gloom. Humans are highly likely to screw off into space. We may not travel the stars any time soon but space habitats should be doable. There is also serious talk about Mars.

A bunch of stodgy old fucks that deny change will stick around and keep drilling but you know what? Screw 'em. If the rest of us can have space they can keep this old rock.

60 years after the wright brothers, we had the A-12 Blackbird. We're coming up on 49 years since Apollo 11 and we're...desperately reverse engineering the Saturn V engines because our lifting capacity is trash. The only reliable manned transport is hitching rides on Soyuz rockets out of a decrepit and half-abandoned facility in Kazakhstan. We have one crazy millionaire doing research on reusable rocketry. The collective

Nah, we're not getting a colony off this rock before climate change both kneecaps the deeply intricate industrial machine required to facilitate that kind of infrastructure as well as redirects any potential funding or R&D energy towards vastly more immediate concerns.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

eNeMeE posted:

Mars is not habitable nor is space. No matter how bad Earth gets, barring Venus, it will be better than Mars and better than space.

Venus is actually quite habitable and probably vastly easier to colonize than Mars, at our current level of technology. Almost identical gravity, active magnetic field, able to walk around outside your hab without a spacesuit on, easy to refine elements of life such as water from plentiful atmosphere.

That all "serious" space colonization efforts are still fixated on Mars is the top indicator that we're getting jack poo poo for space travel in our lifetimes. Mars is easier to get to with our lovely 1950's-esque rocketry, and that's where the easy stops.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Maybe Rime left the aerostat part of the typical colonization plan unsaid? Just spitballing here, though.

I assumed colonizing the surface impossible enough at face value that nobody would think I meant it, yes.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

TheNakedFantastic posted:

There isn't really any scientific or logical basis for this civilization collapse stuff in the sense that it's certainly going to occur.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Denial of human culpability for our deleterious impact on our biosphere and hand-waving it away with magical technobabble solutions is, honestly, no better than climate denialism and in some ways more offensive.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Nat Geo: The Blob That Cooked the Pacific

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Baronjutter posted:

Like Israel hunted down Nazi's well after the war, any chance of some climate change justice squad to go around and disappear all the worst politicians and business people and marketers and think tank staff that willfully caused the greatest harm? These people need to be brought up on crimes against humanity charges, or just straight up disappeared. Even after it's far too late to save the earth, a little justice before we go out.

People are too busy bickering on the internet and playing with their toys to start killing the rich and powerful en-masse, we've been over this before.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Telephones posted:

So how soon is the first world hosed? Until we see food shortages and violence? 2025? 2030?

Probably not within our lifetime, because we have the wealth and technological base to support our quite small populations easily, and are in climates which won't start seeing agricultural hard impacts for some time.

Whether these nations will survive the internal strife caused by the inevitable decision to enforce borders with heavy weaponry, and a thermonuclear war with China and India as major players, is the better question.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

NewForumSoftware posted:

Uhh do you think the people in lower latitudes are just going to die peacefully? Also our climates are seeing agricultural impacts today and it's hard to imagine agriculture looking anything like it does now in 20 years.

This stuff is already happening. Just imagine that it never gets better and only gets worse. Honestly we're already there.

No, I stated quite bluntly that we'll end up killing them in large numbers. Because that is what humans have done throughout all of history when faced with a crisis of this nature, that is what the nations at the bottom of the food chain are already doing to their nearest competitors as things begin to break down, and that is what we will continue to do as this chain of events unfolds.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

This was what the Northabout found in the Northwest Passage this year: 17 degrees and no ice for the entire trip:

A stark contrast to what Rutherford encountered a mere four years prior. Or what killed two experienced royal navy crews a century ago.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I feel like I post this every six months. Fucks Sake.

Yeah, poo poo is going to suck in the future. It might suck a whole lot to the extent that it kills you directly, it might only suck so much that you kill yourself, it might just suck a little bit but not enough that you shuffle off. Guess what: that's life kiddos.

Sit back, seriously sit back, and ask yourself why you are reacting this way. Is it because you're honestly afraid that the world as you know it is going to end, or is it because this is for the first time challenging the fundamental belief (ingrained from birth in our society) that you are destined for success and a rewarding retirement surrounded by happyness? Because, guess what again, a huge loving chunk of the worlds population is currently experiencing the very circumstances which have you all burning your proverbial wigs about.

Right now. Today. And your standard of living is built on that suffering.

This is not the first time in history that a significant percentage of humanity will be wiped out by wars, famine, and the wholesale destruction of an ecology. Nor will it be the last. if the research at Gobleki Tepi is correct, we've been doing this to ourselves since we first drunkenly stumbled on the concept of agriculture. Less than a century ago we leveled an entire continent in a pretty loving pointless war, you think the kids in Dresden had a good time?

Right now all I'm seeing is a bunch of the richest and most privileged people who have ever lived in the entirety of human history freaking the gently caress out because they sat up and realized they burned their youth playing video games instead of taking advantage of that opportunity, that all of this is going to be taken away from them within their lifetimes, and that there is nothing they can do about it. You aren't scared because the world is ending and several billion people will probably die really painfully, you're scared because your world is threatened and you have no agency to alter that outcome in the slightest.

Seriously, there's nothing you can do. You can write all the letters and freak out as much as you want, but a freight train takes a kilometer to stop and we're 200m from the fuckin' cliff. It'll halt eventually but it won't be from the brakes and it won't matter to anyone riding it. So stop talking about how your girlfriend is going to die and oh my god what if my living standards decline.

We all die, some of us sooner and some of us later. Come to grips with your own inevitable mortality and enjoy the ride. If you want to get involved with local activism and do what you can to mitigate effects locally, that's great! If you want to enjoy the time you have left at the top of the economic pyramid, travel a lot, and generally enjoy your life, that's great too!

Just don't sit there vibrating in fear and uncertainty, because you and everyone you love is going to die. It probably won't even be from climate change, we just all loving die some day.

Rime fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 15, 2016

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

His Divine Shadow posted:

Traveling around the world Flying somewhere to get shitfaced for a week is a thing that needs to end if you give two shits about climate change.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Xeom posted:

Rime those were a lot of words to essentially say FYGM. I've never expected retirement. I've known poo poo was hosed. It just hit me yesterday that I'll watch my girlfriend die, so I was dumb and made a post crying about it on the internet. Sucks for me.

I do agree with you though. Only rational thing left is being a cut throat.

You might watch your girlfriend die in a car accident. You might watch her drown in the ocean. You might watch her walk away forever to sleep with another man.

Life's a bitch, son, but climate change is the least pressing or likely concern when it comes to your loved ones shattering your emotions. Suck it up.

I prefer "gently caress you, start using the time that is given to you productively, you stupid childish fucks." :shrug:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Placid Marmot posted:

It is not "productive" to actively and vigorously destroy the environment for both current and future generations, as you have repeatedly recommended.

Better to just kill yourself then, dawg, because your comfy first world lifestyle on a daily basis requires both of those to perpetually increase. How many kids died mining cobalt in the Congo so that you could type from that high horse? You eat some tasty imported fruit this week?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

yellowyams posted:

That drat chart from earlier in the thread scared the gently caress out of me and I was not particularly concerned about climate change until a week ago. I would try to spread that around. Even if your eyes glaze over at "global ice area" the huge diversion from pattern is a big wake up call.

I mean, that just means you possess a modicum of self awareness and the capability to handle chain of consequence thinking.

Unfortunately, critical thinking in terms of "A leads to B which could cause C" is shockingly lacking in most people even when it will directly and immediately cause them harm. Anything abstract or long term goes right out the window. :shrug:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

CommieGIR posted:

Jesus Christ, what the hell is wrong with you.

Considerably less than is wrong with our biosphere, unfortunately.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Nocturtle posted:

Don't worry, this is already covered under NAFTA. If you couldn't guess Canada is severely legally constrained in terms of controlling water exports to the US, no invasion required. This wasn't accidental.

British Columbia signed away its water rights long before NAFTA. Back in the 1950s, actually. The Columbia River Treaty hosed this province hard.

Best part is, when we renegotiated it a couple of years ago we gave even more away to the Americans. :woop:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

treerat posted:

You think you;re gonna live forever as an eternal soul, guy? lol

Whoa man, don't go pointing out in here that death is just a normal part of life. You'll get probated for real talk like that.

This thread is all about roleplaying as ostriches, embrace the sand. :allears:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
This is a heat map of the global fishing effort:

You can view the current situation live over on Global Fishing Watch.

However, this is a fraction of it. This mostly only displays ships with an AIS transceiver installed, so for example it'll count an offshore packing mothership but not the 600 small craft it deploys every day. It doesn't count some 40' dhow fishing illegally 2000 miles from home.

We'll run out of the common edible fish within our lifetime, and stocks will not regenerate, because other nations will not and cannot force millions of uneducated subsistence fishermen to find another way of life.

At a certain point you have to look at the long list of damage directly caused by humans, and wonder if a superplague or nuclear war isn't the only hope for everything not-human left on the planet. :smith:

Rime fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 25, 2016

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

For the past four hours I've been playing this on glaciers in BC which I am familiar with / know are large: Ha-Iltzuk Icefield, Athabasca, etc.

But what caught my eye is that the massive semi-permanent snowpack which once girdled BC across the Spatzizi Plateau entirely vanished around the turn of the century, and the coast range & rockies snowpack has decreased by a third.

Then I scrolled down and watched Utah undergo desertification in real time.

Holy loving poo poo. :magical:

Rime fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 30, 2016

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

pidan posted:

It's an el nino year. The next couple of years will be colder than this and people will start going "where's your global warming now?!"

El Nino was last year, this year is La Nina which is characterized by colder than usual temperatures.

Such as how Vancouver BC is -11c today, with a foot of snow on the ground and a blizzard forecast to last the weekend.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

FourLeaf posted:

Obviously predicting specific events in the future is impossible, but what would be considered an optimistic projection vs. a pessimistic projection? If even the most optimistic projection has half of Southern Florida underwater along with the massive refugee crisis that implies by ~2060, then I'm going to need to make very different life plans starting right now.

I don't know when you were born, but in 2060 I'll be 70 years old if I'm even still alive. The fact is that climate change won't impact most anyone currently posting on these forums in a Road-esque fashion, and if it did we'll be so old that we can smoke a shotgun guilt free after having had a decent life.

Rime fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 8, 2016

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

FourLeaf posted:

In 2060 I'd be near retirement age, so I'm way younger than you. On top of that, what about children and grandchildren? I'm nowhere near rich so there's no fancy mob-proof bunker I could pass on to them. If anything we'd probably be part of the mob.

I glitched and added 17 years to my age, derp. Really I'd prefer poo poo get heavy before I'm in my forties so that life is interesting and fun again for the first time in like the past half century.

Just don't have kids, it's for the best.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
It's colder across northern BC tonight, quite far south of the arctic circle, than it is everywhere in the high Arctic except Baffin Island.

By nearly 20 degrees celcius.

:laffo:We're so very hosed.:laffo:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Mozi posted:

We are going to keep our heads in the sand while we feel the water rise around our ankles.

Thanks of how bad it feels for the enlightened layman to realize how badly hosed things are, and then imagine being high enough up to change things ever so slightly or be an expert in the field.

The sensation of utter powerlessness must eclipse anything we can feel, it's no surprise that cognitive dissonance is the only way they survive.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
This is a good channel, here's another sobering one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLk8Uy2-Lsk

:ssh: Atlantic warming currents are already showing signs of shutting down. :ssh:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

skull mask mcgee posted:

I desire the outside world to be warm and moist like the sauna I have been living in for my whole life

What kind of lovely sauna do you live in that isn't dry. :stare:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
China has shown no reservations when it comes to megaprojects which the west no longer has the stomach for, such as the Three Gorges, so this could be cool. Perhaps they will cover the entire Taklamakan Desert in solar cells or something.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Well I hope reincarnation is a thing, then, because a planet covered in the remnants of 100,000 years worth of high-medieval ruins and legends sounds pretty much like the best thing we can hope for now that space colonization is off the table permanently.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
And to put that in perspective, humans have been civilized for less than 10,000 years and possessed the technology required to understand that cosmic timescale for less than a century.

We can comfortably cease to exist tomorrow and there will be vanishingly little trace of us within a million years, let alone a billion.

Everything this species has ever created, mourned, cherished or coveted will be completely and utterly lost, on a geologic timescale. Given long enough, not even a fossil trace will remain to hint that we ever existed.

Rime fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Evil_Greven posted:

In good news, Arctic sea ice extent actually ended up in 2nd lowest a few days ago. In less good news, yesterday it dipped back down to record lowest again.

In bad news, area had not quite caught up even then, and is now trending down with extent.

In worse news:

Yes, this sounds familiar.

As does this...

And this...

Uhh... okay this is new.

Let's celebrate the good loving times!

I mean, there's an actual debate here, compared to denier bullshit.

I posted a quite long video from Hansen two pages ago where he discusses the findings in the paper. People preferred to continue discussing juvenile power fantasies and making hyperbolic statements about nuclear war and completely ignored it:

Rime posted:

This is a good channel, here's another sobering one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLk8Uy2-Lsk

:ssh: Atlantic warming currents are already showing signs of shutting down. :ssh: