Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
It's November and it's currently 25 to 40 degrees hotter here than it has been in every prior year that I can remember. Literally late spring/early summer temperatures at the moment.

And then I log in and remember this thread exists. Way to brighten up my day. :argh:

Real talk though, setting aside the sadbrain stuff and doom and gloom just how bad is the current projected rate of change? It seems like there's a hell of a lot of variability in what people are saying. You've got some folks that are giving "Hothouse Earth" end of the world speeches while others are saying that we can kiss our current culture of consumerism goodbye in a century or so. poo poo, even this thread has people going back and forth on it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

AceOfFlames posted:

Here's the thing: if I go out there and volunteer or become an activist or whatever, it will bring me no results and cause me to make less money than I do right now. I am terrible with money, I waste it on a bunch of stuff but since I make enough I still manage to save 25% of it. I live by myself, don't cook most of the time and that is expensive. I cannot cook not because I don't want to but because I get home too tired to do anything else. And I don't think I have a particularly exhausting job, maybe I just have low energy.

Volunteering with an environmental charity will just make me more depressed about the coming end. I don't care about animals. The only thing that used to give my life meaning is technology and advancing technological and scientific progress but now the world has seemingly conspired to mock it by showing how it can get corrupted to make people's lives worse, so I don't even have that.

It's like the current arc in the Good Place. I just don't get it. If you know you are going to hell, why spend the rest of your days helping the sheep who don't know what's coming instead of doing literally anything else? I guess it's purely a question of if it makes you feel good but for me, I guess it doesn't. I can't force myself to feel something I do not. People around me see when I am distressed (I do it in quite an obvious fashion) and no one goes out of their way to help me. People, in general, seem to be borderline sociopaths who will gleefully elect dictators to keep ethnicities they don't like out of sight. Why should I help them? Should I just dig through the hundreds of lovely people around me to find the one good one? That's just like job hunting or dating websites, both activities I despise. I don't do things that have high chances of failure or low payout.

I probably shouldn't do this, but i've seen you post quite a bit over the past dozen or so pages and it seems like you're having a lot of issues grappling with the possibility of your life being wiped out by climate change.
So, i'm going to speak a bit personally here and mention some awkward topics for me.

I'm having to grapple with depression on a major scale at the moment. Between my house being burned down, my pets being murdered by way of what was essentially arson, having to have watched as one of my cats literally burned to death while I could do nothing to help (and coming this close to saving the other one), me and my family coming literally thirty to sixty seconds away from sharing the same fate (literally the only reason any of us survived was that I was awake at the time), the fact that my business and any true financial independence is pretty much beyond me now as a result of the supplies I needed also being burned down by some prick, and the fact that literally everything I have ever wanted since my teenage years has been forcibly taken off the table (and more importantly, away from me), and having already sacrificed all the good times I could have had to get to that point prior to the aforementioned fire i've had to face the same question of "What's the point at this point?" more than once of late.

You seem to be asking yourself what the point is if everyone is doomed. Everyone is not fundamentally doomed from climate change. It's a matter of what you do that matters. Speaking personally, i'm currently in a situation where one more bad event could literally kill me (and given my medical issues probably will eventually, if not outright bankrupt me and/or force me to be dependent on my aging and also sick parents. Which i'm honestly kind of loathe to do.) since I live in the US and I can tell you from first hand experience that we don't take care of those that get knocked flat on their rear end like that. Which is a hell of a lot worse than something that may very well only start to really be felt towards the end of our lives.

So let me tell you this, from a qualified first hand perspective: If this isn't a forum gimmick and is for real, then it is loving up your life. Log the gently caress off and go outside. You appear to be wallowing in depression, which is about the most worthless thing you can do. See a therapist. Do something. Because if you're that depressed then you aren't assessing your situation rationally. Your "What's the point?" viewpoint is keeping you from actually making any progress in your life. At the worst, it will restrict you from opportunities and life experiences you wouldn't have had otherwise. Hell, if what is truly bothering you is the climate change issue then get a decent amount of financial resources and move north towards Canada or wherever the local equivalent is in your region of the world. That way should the worst happen you can provide for yourself and as many people as possible. At that point, you're almost certainly going to be more comfortable than the rest of us should things go catastrophically "The US will be a desert soon from an expanding tropical zone." levels of wrong.

Really, what it sounds like though is that you're focusing on this issue to an extent that it's harming your well being. Maybe even to avoid actually doing something. I don't know since I don't know you personally. But I do know that you shouldn't do what you're doing. Move forward. Even if you think you're hosed. Move forward and keep fighting to live your life. Because otherwise you will be hosed.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 3, 2018