Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
So what is the story about this.

https://twitter.com/EcoSenseNow/status/856685861873659904/photo/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Burt Buckle posted:

See? Those clever UAE scamps are actually gonna benefit from climate change maybe perhaps. It's gonna be okay guys.

The amount of vessels needed would create as much pollution as all the cars in the world.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
One of the questions should be if global warning would pose a threat to your children's lifetime.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

TildeATH posted:

One of the questions should have been "Why the gently caress were you so dumb for so long?"

Nah the kids will ask that when they get older.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/electric-cars-cheaper-petrol-vehicles-decade-bloomberg-new-energy-finance-a7756731.html

No worries.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Evil_Greven posted:

US judge throws out climate change lawsuits against big oil
Noting that the world has also benefited significantly from oil and other fossil fuel, Judge William Alsup said questions about how to balance the "worldwide positives of the energy" against its role in global warming "demand the expertise of our environmental agencies, our diplomats, our Executive, and at least the Senate."

"The problem deserves a solution on a more vast scale than can be supplied by a district judge or jury in a public nuisance case," he said.

:tif:

You can sue the ''big'' companies to their death but it won't be a solution to a problem we all created.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
I grow grapes they are fully covering my south side of the house, also covering up the windows of the bedrooms.
When it gets colder I just prune it the so the windows are uncovered again.

Also the big leaves take away the heat so the heat won't stay inside the bricks (more or less).

Also nice that the kids can eat grapes just opening there bedroom windows.

I planted about fruit 20 trees just to get shades and fruit.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

friendbot2000 posted:

So I am sketching out a plan for sustainably growing fruit trees and I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I can limit external water usage (i.e. well water/city water) through irrigation and land management. I get that I can use rain barrels, but I kind of want to keep as much water in the water table on my land as possible. So far I have an extensive mulching/composting plan to get rid of any red clay in the soil so my water retention rate will go up in times of drought and water scarcity, but I am looking for other ways of keeping my plants fed without taxing the water table or pumping water.

I did design/build a neat thing to make sprinklers more efficient. It is basically a PVC pipe platform that raises the sprinkler up higher so the water doesn't get wasted in places you don't want it to go. I will add pictures to this post when I get home from work.

As for garden water management, I am thinking about maybe using a large rain barrel fed by runoff from rain on the greenhouse and hooking it up to slow drip hoses to water my garden and greenhouse.

I realize this might not be the best thread, but I feel climate change goes hand in hand with sustainable living discussions so eh...

Edit: A neat goon project might be to buy up land and just plant trees on it and turn it into a nature preserve. Maybe plant shrubs to form a dick that can only be viewed from above. Depends on how many Eco-Goons there are around here on a dead gay internet forum....

My farther in law always gets angry when I give my plants water.

The trick is to isolate the top of the ground. He does that by simple weeding the top of the ground.
Don't give the plants to much water so the roots will go deep otherwise they will go wide.

New plants need water of course but after several years they should be able to sustain some form of drought.

Also plant daffodils next to your fruit trees.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
They suppress some plants and grasses. Also some animals.
And look good...

Tagetes are useful against nematodes and come back every year.
Tropaeolum minus is a great plant and you can eat the flowers also comes back.
Symphytum uplandicum for mulch and a lot more

No need to give them water or so (if you don't live in the dessert).

There so much you can do...

Orions Lord fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 10, 2018

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
https://www.elsevierweekblad.nl/opinie/achtergrond/2018/09/met-een-nieuwe-klimaatvisie-naar-een-groenere-aarde-646271/

In this Dutch article they are writing that the oceans and the air are circulating the co2.

98% is in the oceans and will be released when we are decreasing the co2 in the air.

Telling that reducing c02 must not be the main goal.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
Here's a English version.

https://www.thegwpf.org/content/uploads/2018/06/Berkhout.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
https://www.ge.com/renewableenergy/wind-energy/turbines/haliade-x-offshore-turbine

They are getting bigger.