Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Salt Fish posted:

Instead of insisting people don't talk about A you should say something interesting about B, for example answering my earlier question about climate change blogs.

can you repeat that question please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Ok I replied in the GM thread

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

US regulations on fraced wells has significantly improved since the practice started, "green completions" is the law now, which means dealing with methane among other things.

Still way way better than coal.

That's not a very high bar :v:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Shayu posted:

I thought we were to stop climate change? It is the only solution. You cannot live the Western life but save the Earth, this is truth I have discovered. We must all relinquish our decadent life styles, return to proper life, eat rice and drink water. Use the toilet in the grass.

7 10 billion hunter gatherers will destroy the environment really really hard. Everything in reach will be eaten and burned before three quarters of the world population starve to death or die of disease.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Anosmoman posted:

We're producing energy in a way that's harmful to the environment but that doesn't mean we have to stop producing energy. In the 1980s we were using CFCs for refrigeration and it was depleting the ozone layer. Now we don't anymore - and yet we still somehow have refrigerators.

No you see ~system change~ should be the first goal of conservation rather than just doing things that conserve the environment regardless of whether they help bring about the end of kkkapitalism/materialism/globalisation :byodood:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Shayu posted:

Why you want people to die so much?

Yes I agree we should increase arable lands. When we do that people can make their own food and not need to drive because food right there, no need to drive to the store. People don't need too much variety, just some rice and bean maybe a little spice for flavor, it's simple earth life, don't you know?

No because we will eat from the earth not create pollution. Farms now make a lot of poison foods that will kill when eaten. Why burn things? No need, we live in world without need of electric.

Are you trolling or just a colossal retard?

Increasing arable lands is a terrible idea because farmland even when farmed less intensively cannot support most biodiversity. You will destroy all remaining primary habitats that are not literally the side of a cliff and kill off entire ecosystems on the way, and people will hunt everything edible that remains to extinction because natural prey populations don't recover faster than billions of people can sharpen sticks and stones. Protip: pollution is not the only thing destroying the planet.

Farms as they exist now make what kind of poison foods exactly?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Lotka Volterra posted:

This is true, but we do produce a large amount of the world's food and for that reason any declines with an increasing population are troublesome. Even then, it's not clear where the yield gains would come. If it's in areas with sensitive habitat, we've traded one problem for another. 9.6 to 12.3 billion is still a major concern even if it has leveled out by the end of the century.

Most population growth will happen in Africa (+3 billion or so) and Asia (+1 billion-ish). Africa especially is being farmed by subsistence farmers with badly domesticated perennial crops in many regions. Some proper irrigation, fertiliser use and targeted breeding/GM on the crops to bring their resource allocation in line with annual and therefore better domesticated crops and to have less famines etc. due to bad weather would go a long way.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Mystic_Shadow posted:

Now that 2015 seems to have broken all the records, they're going to ditch the "no warming since 1998" and will instead use "no warming since 2015" as their go-to phrase.

Best case, we'll go back to +1°C and then climb back to the 2015 value in 10-15 years. Hiatus Hiatus Hiatus :byodood:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

onepixeljumpman posted:

Having my fourth "descend into a shaking mess over climate issues" moment was enough to make me come back to the forums. At least the thread's palatable. Thanks, UP, for reminding me that I can marry all this to my social concerns as well instead of convincing myself I need to divide my attention.

That's all besides the point. I'm brainstorming concrete ways to actually act. It's hard in my local area because of the few organizations there are (first hit when looking them up was a Free Republic article!) and my lack of transportation. Yelling at individuals on the internet all day is basically meaningless on my own or as a faceless letter writer even in conjunction with larger organizations, so I've been thinking of where to start and came up with this:

Would it be worth our time to create something like a budget for adoption of new energy forms on a mass scale? I mean along the lines of "We're going to build these things in these places on this time table for this amount of money. This is completely possible with current resources. We just need to start." We'd need to use energy forms that already exist and that can be built now. The purpose of this is not to say we have the one true vision of how to apply new energy forms but more to launch the idea of using them into the public consciousness with something more concrete than "Wind/solar power exists!" "Iceland's doing it!" or nebulous things like the CPP or the Paris accord. All of those things need to come together because the more concrete it is in those areas, the less time wasting small scale arguments will arise. It's my hope that showing that such a thing is makeable for the scale we would do it at would, on top of maybe giving people something to back or just something to encourage them to be more active, give people the initiative to do it on different scales like the local one.

And if it's not worth our time specifically, is it worth anyone's time to do?
concrete ways to actually act
1) eat less beef
2) don't drive a SUV with truck nutz dangling from the exhaust pipe
3) don't get suckered into eco-hipster fads of the week like gmo free local food from nuclear-free family farms, which don't tend to be actually useful

Budgets for adoption of new energy forms on a national scale have been done and range from completely imaginary to somewhat solid.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 25, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

There seems to be this idea that somehow it is better to do X first and then handle climate change in our post-X world. I dont think there is time for such delays. We have to address climate change within the existing frameworks.

:agreed:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

El Grillo posted:

I've always thought we need nuclear to get through this as renewables' intermittency and the cost of storage solutions is too big a hurdle to get over without backup. Guardian just released a report on storage developments in the UK and globally and it looks interesting Not sure what it means regarding the cost vs. nuclear debate though: http://www.theguardian.com/environm...9581&CMP=ema-60
Can anyone tell me what they mean when they say 'a 10MW storage facility'? Is that 10MWh or what?
Can power up to 10MW worth of things attached to it. The article says the compressed air thing is supposed to last for "a few hours" at 5MW, so I guess for a reasonable definition of "a few" it'll be something between 10-30 MWh.

quote:

e: hot drat, world's largest windfarm off Yorkshire coast: http://www.theguardian.com/environm...9581&CMP=ema-60
Anyone have a good article or two on the criticisms of offshore wind? It's all over the press here but hard to find a balanced view.

good:
*no NIMBY whining
*wind is not quite as ludicrously variable at sea (though still more than enough to necessitate storage)
*doesn't take up land
*often bigger, so can use stronger high winds

bad:
*more expensive & harder to maintain
*may or may not have damaging effects on seabirds, whales and fish and stuff. some case studies and circumstantial evidence for or against exists, but nothing coherent
*takes up seabed habitat

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Note: nuclear is increasingly load-following.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Xenon poisoning is a big reason why most nuclear plants can't throttle like that. No plant in the US is load following afaik.

Also designing power plants that work equally efficiently across their power range means it won't be as efficient at 100% power. Nuclear plants are so expensive they only make sense if you can operate at 100% as much as possible.

All current designs can, though, even big clumsy 1.6GW French Surrender Reactors.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

You're right that all modern designs can, I'm just not sure about if older designs can within their licensing requirements.

edit: in the US that is

I bet the vast majority can't in the US, but that vast majority is a minority of US electricity generation that will probably never exceed baseload so all the throttling can be done by more modern non-poo poo power plants.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Evil_Greven posted:

Oh, Australia...

gently caress everything.

quote:

Marshall, a Silicon Valley entrepreneur, became CSIRO’s CEO in Jan. 2015 and immediately announced that CSIRO would focus on innovation over basic science.
Short term thinker who doesn't understand how science works gets put in charge of state-funded organisation best suited for basic science, confuses it with engineering academy. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

*reallocates research points from environmental science to power plant development*

*clicks "finish turn"*

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Hello Sailor posted:

Climbate Change: Are We Headed for an Insurmountable Cliff?

Imagine four climates on the edge of a cliff.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

Scalia died today.

This is the most significant turn off events for climate change policy in easily twenty years.

rip in piss, but probably no

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

The poles are, in addition to reflectors, massive heat radiators.

:poland:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

Pro nuke here: I don't see how we can continue to expand our nuclear program without an operational long-term repository a la Yucca Mountain.

Unless one slipped past my radar?

Comedy option: pay Sweden for waste storage.

Massasoit posted:

I hold a MS in Environmental Science, and I challenged students on why they didn't like nuclear energy (since I'm pro nuke) and it all comes down to lack of any information/anti bomb.

It was pretty annoying and I got into some heated exchanges. I was able to convert a few people/have them do additional research and look into it themselves. loving hippies.

I'm surprised you didn't get any anti-centralisation answers.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Potential BFF posted:

Given their safety record and USA! USA! USA! military-wank why not push to have new nuke plants built, run, and overseen by the US Navy.

Which is how the nuclear industry started out, before going on to be mostly functional for a few decades.

Potato Salad posted:

drat, that's...convincing in ways I have not consisted.

I'm deeply confirmation biased but drat.

South Korea is the current example of an industrialised country doing nuclear right, and they're pretty much doing precisely what Morbus put on his list. China is the other example of a country trying to do it right, though it will take a few years to see if it turns out well.

If small modular reactors take off, it will probably be easier for the US/UK to get it right. Even if you don't crank up the rate of megawatts worth of nuclear generation deployed per year, SMRs are small enough that you'll need to build truckloads of them in a factory line to replace the half-dozen one-off giant reactors that would otherwise get built. They're also small enough to be more resilient so it should be easier to just plop them down pretty much anywhere safely.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't understand how the investment in those sorts of "farming" projects will actually be better for the climate than traditional ag can be. Like sure, LEDs use less electricity to grow plants than other lights, but traditional farms use the sun for free.

They've spent $1.2M on 6,000 sq ft of growing space. For that much money you could negate the carbon impact of a larger amount of traditional ag land.

That's assuming you get the underground tunnel for free of course. As soon as you start considering opportunity costs it becomes an even worse proposition for the environment.

Ultimately it's something like vertical farming (except underground), which lets you substitute energy for land use. Potentially a good idea, but only if rolled out on a meaningful scale supported by Full Kommunism Nuclear, and not as hipster agriculture implemented on small scales before we have an actual grip on climate issues.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Wanderer posted:

One of the big reasons why this kind of farm appeals to me is that a lot of modern cities have a bunch of spaces like London's WWII bomb bunkers that are currently unused. Manhattan is famously as deep as it is tall, with tunnels a thousand feet below ground level, and a lot of other cities have something like it, e.g. the Seattle Underground or Los Angeles's several half-finished subway stations. Right now, they're doing nothing except occasionally serving as a historical attraction.

It also has the benefit of turning an unused city space into a carbon consumer, and as was said, expanding the amount of land used to produce food. With an aquaculture setup, and ideally running the power off of a solar grid or some other renewable source (you could probably power a good piece of it with a hand crank if you really had to), it's a good example of a possible, sustainable way to deal with several different problems.

The CO2 sequestration is limited to however much standing biomass the crops have. Once people have eaten and metabolised/shat out their food it goes back into the atmosphere as CO2. A few subway tunnels or cold war bunkers filled with shelves for growing lettuce can never be more than a blip.

It could, however, be a good start to validating larger scale indoor farming as a concept so it can eventually be rolled out on a meaningful scale.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 22, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Wanderer posted:

The whole thing is blips. Every running combustion engine is a blip; every moron who throws a plastic bag out the window is a blip. This is about making enough small gestures at once, not making two or three big ones, and it always was.

It's not the single solution to one thing; it's a partial solution to several things.

Getting rid of a billion combustion engines is not a blip. Building ten thousand nuclear reactors is not a blip. Filling every unused subway tunnel and cold war bunker on earth that exists with lettuce growing shelves is a blip. Unless this underground farming thing leads to wider applications of indoor farming in large-scale purpose-built indoor farms it can never be more than a blip even in an unrealistic best case scenario.

Radbot posted:

Maybe we can see a single example of a proposed carbon sequestration project that, even in someone's wildest dreams, would capture a gigaton of carbon a year. Of course, that's nowhere near where we'd need to be, but let's start there.

Reforesting half of China and Brazil. Probably multiple gigatons per year at that scale.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Gammymajams posted:

Uh, who the gently caress thought fracking would save the climate?

People who believe in the invisible hand of the completely unregulated free market.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Oh and Germany because gas can in principle buffer out spikes in electricity demand or supply in our badly organised renewable rollout (except it turns out gas plants running solely to fix cloud and wind and consumer randomness are money pits and utilities are fighting to get rid of the things again)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Batham posted:

Meanwhile, in Germany (because nuclear energy is EVIL) ...

blowfish posted:

Oh and Germany because gas can in principle buffer out spikes in electricity demand or supply in our badly organised renewable rollout (except it turns out gas plants running solely to fix cloud and wind and consumer randomness are money pits and utilities are fighting to get rid of the things again)

Except for Bavaria, which seriously planned to get 50% of its energy from Russian gas.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Rime posted:

Climate models have underestimated Earth’s sensitivity to CO2 changes, study finds

I can't wait to experience the end-permian extinction, without the hassle of building a time machine. :smith:

don't worry, you can pet your dog and pretend everything is alright

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Since the media tends to focus coverage on climate skeptics and deniers far more than the scientific community, what can stop them from doing so? Why do these deniers have so much power over the US sheeple?

And is it mainly old media that perpetuates this? Hopefully fewer people are falling for this bullshit.

Partially, but another part is that media have largely turned towards a mealy mouthed fair-and-balanced style of reporting, which (except in the case of blatant political drum-beating like with Fox News) boils down to taking a story, looking for two sides on it, and giving both sides the same air time or article space, without any critical evaluation of claims besides quoting both sides saying the other side is poo poo.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Which translates into less people than necessary believing that climate change is serious/a thing because...?

Because it implies climate change denial is a position with merits that is seriously debated by Smart People, because the average citizen is not educated to evaluate the evidence presented on most topics.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Our lack of restrictions on Freedom of the Press (like the ones Canada or the UK has) is seriously going to be the end of US someday.

Not that the UK is better at the moment, because their restrictions don't seem to do anything beyond protecting individual subjects of attention (especially if rich and/or powerful) in practice.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Isaac0105 posted:

Don't be so optimistic about nuclear. I can understand why people would be so sympathetic towards it- it's not oil, it's not coal, the idea of nuclear tickles the mind about its possibilities (especially in light of possible tech improvements, like breeder reactors or fusion). But I'd really like to emphasize that as a solution it is not permanent. Even if we manage to make a global nuclear transition (a gargantuan if) then uranium is still a non-renewable resource and we would just be kicking the ball down the road, pushing forward the inevitable collapse and downsizing that our civilization needs to undergo. Possible tech advances are not a way out of this because they don't exist right now - believing that they will be around to bail us out seems just a form of faith to me. And further, I suspect that even if these fusion/thorium/breeder reactors come around, there will be some other resource limit that will knock them on their rear end anyway later down the road. Remember that even if the fuel for something like fusion is insanely abundant, what might not be so abundant are the rare metals and minerals that will be required to construct these new reactors (and maintain them).

If kicking the can down the road for thousands of years (which, given breeders, or even just extracting uranium from the sea for which a pilot project is being built, is a given) is not far enough for now, then nothing is. I also completely disagree that we should look forward to a collapse and downsizing of civilisation. Thinking that collapse is in any way necessary rather than merely a thing that happens if we gently caress up too badly means you're substituting a doomsday cult for environmentalism.

quote:

Safety is also an issue. I think people in this thread feel a bit smug with regard to the question of nuclear safety, because this question tends to attract a lot of irrational panic and religious doomsday beliefs. So indeed I agree that the people who claimed Fukushima would wipe out all life around the Pacific in a year were a bit silly to say the least, but that doesn't mean that nuclear is safe. Chernobyl was bad enough in my opinion - the figures of excess deaths range between thousands and hundreds of thousands (a few say millions). I am not trying to say that this is guaranteed to wipe us all out or something but it is very likely that at the very least, nuclearization of world energy means the permanent risk of Chernobyls and Fukushimas, constituting a massive safety risk, meaning nuclear is not safe.
100% safety is not necessary, and not achievable anywhere ever with any energy source.

Chernobyl did not kill a million people, the "study" showing that is basically a back-of-the-envelope calculation of how many people got killed by the collapse of the Soviet Union that attributes those deaths to atoms instead. Deaths per unit energy produced are (even if we assume the higher not completely crazy numbers for Chernobyl are true, i.e. some tens of thousands of cancer deaths) are pretty low for nuclear, being comparable to renewables. If we had a Fukushima every decade that would also be completely ok compared to what we are currently doing.

quote:

Finally gently caress electric cars. The only solution to cars is "into the landfill" I would say. A big problem a lot of green types seem to have is the idea that we can have the society we have right now, except everything will be run using green energy sources. It really is an adorably naive idea. What is far more likely is that before the end of the century, the personal car will be dead, along with every social configuration depending on it (such as suburbia)

US suburbia is stupid and needs some consolidating, but why does all personal transportation ever need to die?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Isaac0105 posted:

"A given?" Please. Right now even human survival over the next century isn't a given, let alone an unprecedented shift in energy production which (according to you) is a given because of a pilot project and an underdeveloped technology. All I am calling for is realism. Even if something like fusion was already well developed (say we had a few relatively safe working reactors that are producing more energy than it takes to run them) I would say that the transition would be very far from a given. Let alone in our actual situation.

If we build breeders, or thorium reactors, or extract uranium from the sea, or develop fusion reactors, then those technologies could power our current civilisation beyond the scope of any long term policies we currently are or want to implement, i.e. for long enough.
You will also note that the first reactor to over power any electrical equipment was a breeder reactor (EBR-1), that Russia just started up a commercial-scale breeder, and that India is currently building a commercial-scale thorium reactor prototype (bog standard CANDUs could already burn Thorium as an alternative fuel anyway if anyone bothered). It's not like doing this poo poo is impossibly hard.

quote:

I'm not sure what connotation "looking forward to collapse" is supposed to have. Rest assured I meant that we should look forward to it in the sense that one looks forward to a big disaster that it might be a good idea to prepare for, not as some kind of fun adventure that we should embrace because it will take us back to the golden age of hunter-gatherer tribes.

And finally, the rise and fall of civilization is not a morality play. What causes a fall is not "good people" "loving up badly" but a set of systemic factors which sweep away all the people caught up in it. The fall of civilization will not be prevented by "good people who do what is necessary". Maybe delayed, maybe softened, but not prevented, trust me.

Why do you think the fall of civilisation is an inevitable event that might as well be physical law, is what I'm asking.

quote:

My specific take on safety is this - supposing that I did agree with you and blowfish on the necessity and the inevitability of a global transition to nuclear, I would still highly prefer if there existed this swarm of highly agitated nuclear pessimists who yell "safety" into the ears of everyone responsible for the construction and maintenance of nuclear reactors. To pressurize them into keeping to their safety standards, you see. Failing this, please don't expect nuclear to actually be the "safest method of power generation".

The vast majority of the world's nuclear power plants are lovely cold war leftovers operating past their original design lifespan. They aren't getting replaced in part because new plants have a much harder time getting approved despite being much safer. Still, even with a fleet of hand-me-down ancient reactors, and literal Chernobyl style RBMKs still operating, nuclear has an excellent safety record (or, depending on how you look at it, a less terrible safety record than everything else).

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Isaac0105 posted:

If we build breeders, if we do thorium, if this and if that (and if some more) and then it's also an if that it will "power our current civilization for long enough". Reactors require plenty of rare resources to construct, what if we run out of those, even if we have enough reactor fuel? What if "we" (whoever we is supposed to be) cannot ensure a global scale transition to nuclear? It's not like "we" are living under some kind of highly organized and socially responsible world government, you know.

Please provide any evidence beyond "well what if it happened" for us running out of raw materials before building some thousands of reactors. Note that I pointed out several examples of things that already exist or are currently in build, so again, this is not purely hypothetical.

Your argument that we might not ensure a global nuclear rollout applies to every other global scale action, such as a global renewable rollout. What you're saying is "poo poo is hosed, and it's hard to unfuck poo poo, so let's just throw up our hands in despair and wait for the end times". I am saying we lose nothing by trying, so we might as well get to it and start fixing poo poo.

quote:

If you look at history, civilizations have a habit of falling. I already posted about this once - it can take many forms. I think it would be extreme to say they are all destined to fall all the way back to the stone age, but that's not really what I am arguing. I am saying that progress doesn't last forever, that some kind of fall will take place. The fall will be towards a society with a lower degree of complexity, what exactly it will be, I don't know (there's different scenarios and endpoints).
That's, uh, very vague. And again, noting that fallen empires did indeed fall is not very informative if you are looking for anything beyond resignation and navel gazing.

quote:

And about the last thing you said - when are you expecting this consciousness change towards a new nuclear age to take place? Techno-optimists like you always seem to be banking on some decisive moment when civilization will suddenly see the light and undergo some epic scale transformation to a bright new tomorrow. Maybe 20 years for now we will have even more run down cold war leftover reactors and still no fusion in sight? Do you really think that is less likely than a world dotted with fusion and breeder reactors? Civilizations really don't have these kinds of unprovoked transformative moments - the only time they transform at all is when they get a kick in the balls so fierce that the sheer pain shatters its delusions, making it scramble to adapt in chaotic and unpredictable ways.

Well, when are you expecting the global sustainable rollout of enough renewable energy to actually deal with climate change? There might be more people who have a positive opinion of solar panels and wind turbines, but when you reach practical limits that doesn't help.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Cranappleberry posted:

There are absolutely changes that can be made to mitigate climate change and environmental damage, even at this late stage. However, most of these changes have to occur on a large scale.

Individual attitudes and cultural attitudes can definitely make a difference but if you're looking at individual contributions to CO2 output, you're missing the forest for dirt under the trees. An individual is the end-user and does not control most of their own carbon footprint or, assuming they do, anywhere near a statistically significant amount of greenhouse gas production.

In this case we have a person who wants to shame other people who want to travel and be green. For a variety of reasons that is ridiculous. To pretend to be superior, or indeed, not hypocritical because of contributions that amount to a number so close to zero that no one would make the reasonable distinction, is the definition of frivolous bimbo.

This is true, and the point that many ~grassroots~ environmentalists and activists miss. Climate change is a tragedy of the commons type situation, the people using those commons are more than you could feasibly argue with on an individual basis (you know, all seven billion of them), and the smaller scale success stories in fixing this type of scenario generally involve larger-scale policy decisions that turn openly accessible commons into a resource with restricted access. Even the most heartwarming "plucky little locals win against heartless multinational company that literally kicked your puppy"-stories, e.g. some cases where overfishing got fixed and replaced by more sustainable fisheries management, involve broader policy decisions, just with an additional step of "let's have a chat with the locals about how they can see themselves stop breaking things without making them think you're taking their stuff away".

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Radbot posted:

Don't blame Greenpeace for using modern marketing tactics.

I do blame them for having a massive anti nuclear hate boner to the point where it's actively counterproductive to climate change mitigation.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Wanderer posted:

I'd go so far as to say that it's the single thing keeping what passes for the American progressive movement from getting too much done.

It doesn't matter that this person agrees with you about 75% or 80% or 99% of the issues you could hope to name; there's a point of disagreement somewhere and that makes that person the enemy.

See also: (armchair) leftist circular firing squad

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Why get poo poo done with whoever also thinks that particular poo poo needs to get done when you could instead call each other out for being immoral bastards :thumbsup:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

i am harry posted:

You know that thing that god people say when they try to come up with a reason to have a religion: "but......what if you're wrong?" It sort of works if you apply it to climate change deniers, skeptics, lukewarmist, lutefisks and whatever other categories there were in that list.

but that makes you sound like an r/athiest

checkmate climateailures :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Placid Marmot posted:

Each reporting station produces its own data. The thermometers that you observed (now they've increased to 51 degrees!) were not inside standardized Stevenson-screened boxes (unless you were finding weather stations and cracking them open!), so their measurements will always be higher than the true shade temperature.
The highest temperature in Hasenkeyf last year was 44C on the 30th of July...
http://m.accuweather.com/en/tr/hasankeyf/320662/month/320662?monyr=7/01/2015
...in line with this claim that "highest average temperature varies between 40 – 43° C"
http://www.posetitursku.com/eng/2009/05/hasankeyf-batman/

ITT we discover: it's hotter in the sun than in the shade :pseudo: